Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 122498 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

And Imic? I- hwut?

Look at the group symbol of glirycheese
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

So... You built an outpost in the frozen North.
The outpost's symbol was all about weird things I can only dare to mutter.
Thinking about this symbol still brings chills in my spine as I try to picture the dwarves who conceived it. And I gave up figuring out the reasons behind its conception.
Spoiler: Symbol (click to show/hide)

I don't get what madness brought the dwarves there, but they settled there anyway.
Your dwarves, faced with the haunted wasteland, slaughtered the horses and had to fight their hairs/skins when these started moving.
That was the first blood sacrifices of many. Laughters must have occured as the beasts remains gestured.

The symbol included hemp, so your dwarves must have been in an alternative state of mind all this time. That must be it !
Or maybe the Northern dwarves were trying to appease the Tentacle God of their symbol.
Perhaps they slaughtered the horses to spead life : One horse dead = 1 skin + 1 hair brought to life, at least. So, in a way, the life count doubled.

Anyway... Madness increased, chickens got killed, and the mind of the settlers started to deteriorate.
Some of your dwarves decided to suicide by encasing themselves in ice, because "this death was smoother and faster", and dying was obviously "the only way to escape this hellish place !"

Then you retired, adventured the place. Gathered dead things laying on the ground, and threw chickens/dogs body parts to the remaining living chickens and dogs; killing some; crippling others.
You laughted in the process, as the blue-ish ice turned red, and the dogs parts you just threw started moving on their own.
When you looked at the outpost's symbol, your laughter amplified, and your bloody party continued.

And why did you do it exactly ? For the Glory of Cheese ??!

Jeeez ! I don't get you Northern dwarves ways !

EDIT : May have misinterpreted your log, or badly studied the save-file, but this is my view of it. And I like it :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:58:10 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Yeeeaaaah, that's about it.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah... Set me up for a turn, I guess.  I'll ring in 2017 with a stirring embark devoted to the simple joys of pastoral life. New life for the new year.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, I'm next.  Will download tonight.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Introduction

As to who write these words, is of no importance to you dear reader.  I will entwine myself in these tales as if I am an active participant of the story unfolding, even if I am just a narrator that is several degrees apart from recollecting this history in the making.

I dream of a tropical paradise for my dwarven civilization The Rhyming Occult-Pallisade.  I enticed a group eager for adventure to strike the earth upon a secluded beach and set our new outpost, Sandalswims.

We mark a large portion of the land extending towards the ocean.   Perhaps someday, we will serve as a bridge between the two land mass separated by the Ocean of Budding.

I note below the properties of the land we expect to discover.

[1][1][1]
[2][2][2]
[2][2][2]
[2][2][2]
[2][2][3]

[1] The Dune of Numbers is a sand desert.
It is hot with no trees nor vegetation, but the surroundings is wild.
The ministry of geology says there is little soil here, an aquifer and expect a shallow metals and flux stones.

[2][3] The Ocean of Budding is a tropical ocean with surroundings from calm to wild.
There is little soil here, an aquifer and expect a deep metal source and flux stones.

Travelers report that humans and hostile goblins are in neighboring territory.

Our brave group, "The Beach of Baking" journey forth on one windy autumn day in the year 42 consisting of a glass maker, a cook, a brewer, a farmer, a broker, a rising socialite, and a dabbling doctor.

We bring our symbol, The Oceanic Sun to lighten our path.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:48:41 pm by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Rhyming Occult-Palisade? Oh hm. Same civ as I picked.

Check your migrants - if they're swimmers, check relations, and see if it mentions dwarves with nicknames being written as 'Jokey Profession name-last name of husband/wife', i.e. 'Woody-Omritznazir' Borushavuz as Paternal Grandmother.

If you do, you're hosting migrants from Moonhome.

And, interestingly, I don't have Desert of Power listed in my regions, though the location is almost the first one I checked - I expected you to bridge the ocean, though :v (seems to require at least 1x5 embark). Still gets you goblins, humans and dwarves as neighbours.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:15:02 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It depends on how much glass I produce.

I am thinking of green glass constructions north to south with bridge extending to map edge (above the water line).

And then embark a second spot north and connect the bridges to the map edge also.

If theory is correct, then those two sites can function as a bridge for the rest "as the world moves on"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mm. Not sure, I guess it'd work, from what I can recall of mentions elsewhere? We will see. It's hard to tell, though.

I can certainly confirm that single fort laid over ocean qualifies, however.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, I can re-embark if a 3x5 will work better, I'll check tonight. 
I only got 1 season anyhow.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm. Perhaps that is not necessary - first make a backup, retire, and then check if you can get human neighbours on island proper.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I embarked on a 3x5 and the neighbors are the same dwarf, human and goblin.

The top 3 tile in the region is land where I start, then the lower 3 tiles are land with ocean in between.

I will have to update my intro later when I have the embark world image uploaded in imgur.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ch 1 The Beach of Baking

Late Autumn 43

We call our crew, “The Beach of Baking”.

Zasit Peltships says to stop the wagon at the edge of the black sand because the waves of the ocean will provide soothing mists.

Since nobody is stepping up, Zasit positions himself as the expedition leader of this crew.  At a young age of 53, he dreams of having a family of his own someday.  He is very agile but very weak.  He likes clear glass but have no preference for any specific item.  He does not care much for art and likes the outdoors.

Zasit says, “It does not look like I will need this copper pick now.  Let us build a wooden palisade around the wagon first.”

Sakzul Bowedanvil, the cook looks dismayed as the salty ocean water dampens all the food in the wagon.  She brought all sorts of meats, fishes, eggs, milk, and garden vegetables with the generous allowance provided for this embark.  She now hopes the salty water will add flavor to the food.

Sakzul is 84 years old and dreams of creating a great work of art.  She likes clear glass also, and leggings.  She is quite quick to heal, and finds merry making a waste of time.  She considers herself brave and thus brings a copper battle-axe for practice and felling trees.  However, there are no trees here.

Logem Axemesh is a farmer that is very quick to tire.  She is 77 years old and dreams of creating a masterwork.  She likes war hammers, believes in cooperation, but does not feel strongly about the law.

Vucar Wheelsoak is a brewer and is worried about the salt water spoiling the booze by the hundreds brought along.  He is 83 years old and dreams of creating a great work of art.  He likes short swords and doors; has a disdain for law; sees competition as a waste.   Vucar values parties.

Litast Granitesoar is a glass maker who volunteered to journey to this sandy beach in hopes of creating a masterwork someday.  He is 76 years old, very slow to tire and creative.  He likes maces and crystal glass.

Erith Bristlepaddle is a dabbling broker looking forward at this great opportunity to learn more about commerce.  She is 53 years old and dreams of establishing an art museum by the sea.  She likes helms and thrones; values cunning and artwork.  She straps on the second copper pick on her back as she went to construct the walls around the wagon.

Unib Pageflickered is an aspiring doctor.  He is 64 years old and dreams of starting a family.  He is Agile, likes maces, but does not care about nature nor values fighting skills.

The crew spent the autumn building a wooden palisade around the wagon using tower-cap logs.  Some flooring was also laid to cover the salty and murky pools.

Three mason’s and two carpenter’s workshop are built near the wagon. 

The 300 rutile stones we brought will produce plenty of blocks for building the second floor. 

To our dismay, the wave mists interrupts the work in the shops despite the completion of the roof.

The second floor houses seven private bedrooms and two extra beds.

We expanded up to create a third floor for our tavern, The Spice of Factions.  It is open for citizens and residents only.  Tastefully arranged tables and chair made from our supply of rutile and tower-cap gives our tavern a royal feel, and with plenty of dance floor for our entertainment.

After Zasit chose the best bedroom, the rest chose their own private quarters. 

Late Winter 43

We dug out the sand dunes and constructed rutile block walls for a small building to house our farm and food services.

We started digging and probing beneath the sand layer and we hit siltstones with no aquifer, but there are some damp stones on one corner. 

We are hoping to build the butcher’s work area with a garbage chute down in the siltstone level when late winter arrives. 

Zasit tells everyone to stop working and relax for the rest of the year.

Spoiler: the next door building (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:02:27 am by Sanctume »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile

I made some grammar edits, hope you don't mind. Sorry if it annoys you. Otherwise, I like how you gave a backstory to all the dwarves, and gave them a reason to be here.

EDIT: Post was messed up, fixed that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:52:41 am by ☼Another☼ »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made some grammar edits, hope you don't sorry. Sorry if it annoys you. Otherwise, I like how you gave a backstory to all the dwarves, and gave the a

Thanks.  It's my bad for wanting to post each night this time.
I only had this first draft from my game notes.

I usually sit on my drafts for 2 to 3 more evenings and edits before posting. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35