Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 122493 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

- Lot of food processing crew, given the number of processed food brought. I expected you to focus entirely on the beautiful ocean-crossing bridge.

- Heh. Had similar problem with similar solution, though it looks like you decided to stay.

It shouldn't interrupt you anymore if the waves are dissipated away from the working area - I know that once I prevented them reaching with something like 15x+20y walls they stopped pushing things around.

- Neat cozy medium-sized houses.

I often build quern/screw press, but I rarely end up using them more than few times ^^;;

- Looks like you found a way through the aquifier. I had only aquifer on ocean, so no real trouble, though the plentiful kaolinite clusters would have made penetrating one easy.

- Yeah, it is an interesting  challenge to post each game night. Forces to play each day, but can end up being more disjointed - I'd normally have put all the moods together into single post, sorted by resultant item, for instance.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did not write down my exact embark items. I do remember:

1 steel anvil, 15 steel bars (to make at least 5 magma-safe minecarts)

100 white sand, 100 black sand, 100 green glass (I'm was thinking pump stack, but maybe just green glass blocks for a bridge)

~1000 tower-cap logs and 300 rutile stones for initial building needs.

2 each meat, fish, eggs, garden vege, milk for the free barrels, and 50 units of each booze.

1 male cat, and assortment of fluff for hospital, moods, and stuff.

I embark with +5 extra rock nuts, 5 lye, 5 jugs. 
Then it's a series of to do.
Quern to mill 5 seeds, make 5 jugs, Screw press 5x pastes. 
Have the lye, otherwise 5 buckets, 5 ash, then make Ashery for 5x lye from ash.
And finally Soaper for 5 soaps. 
Then I'd get random bug about item not available.  Not having stockpile seems to help find the soap ingredients.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had a pre-existing macro/embark prep to select each x? With the points given, I didn't brother - then again, I brought barely any food(11 strawberries, not including the 300 milk to honey a caravan I expected in two weeks), electing to let the less initially active types practice herbalism first.

I ended up giving my bridges some scaffolding, mostly due flair but also because I had one weirdly break (though floating unsupported bridges usually work fine).

5 minecarts...Were you thinking of minecart-based magmagun-the-ocean device? I reconsidered building one due it seeming like any FPS gains after removing the ocean would be lesser than the time lost to all the magma moving around.

Though hardly one to speak about spending while on embark preparation, given I pretty much pre-planned the entirety of fortress.

I recall some bugs about lye in barrels, but I got lye -> potash -> pearlash -> clear glass chain working without problems. Though on the other side of soap, I just butchered an asexual turkey - just 1 point more than 5 rock nuts, and produces more fat and bunch of other stuff (in lieu of hauling jugs).

I always forget the cat.

(Granted, my embark prep did include seeds, including rock nuts, but those ended up sitting in stockpile for 39 years.Whenever I wanted underground drinks I'd just harvest some plants from soil.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I spent 30 minutes reading up on the first 7.  I just do a macro to increase selected item by 25, then redo to +100 for the logs and stones.  I do a macro for each meat, milk, and egg. 

No plant to gather in this desert, and no trees also. 

I was wondering if suguaro trees have harvestable fruits.  Mmm brewable cactus.

I want magma glass furnace on the surface, and I needed magma-safe minecarts initially. 
There's no nickel nor iron, so it has to be made from steel. 

I have no plans for the fort other than make a bridge. 

I want to see what metals I have.  I would make my bridge foundation made of marble and gold pillars, with green glass walls or maybe green glass windows (and gems).  Now you got me wanting to google fancy bridges.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh right. Desert. I must have gone through thousands of logs overall (flooring over embark and building a castle mostly, but also ash and lye for glazing and hundreds of soap) You could try channeling out an area for growth (at least grass, I think, if not caper berries and such), though large one will hit your FPS without retire/unretire.

Saguaro fruits are not brewable, sadly...Ditto for things like Mangrove or Coffee. Well, it's bit of food I suppose.

I only made 2 carts - while one rolled up/down over 100z, other could be filling in the magma hole. (Well, not really that slow, since all but few z-levels were entirely checkpointed through. But made things easier to watch.)

Are you using dfhack? Could prospect. Though, I think only select few areas in world had flux + shallow metals, and this wasn't one of them.

Hm. Keeping with the initial 7 or welcoming migrants?

Hm, as far as fancy bridges go...Project Superbowl had a towering sky-arch for entering the fort. Since this is partly for adventurers, maybe put a swimming pool somewhere? (Not sure how to handle item scattering for refreshments, though you could prevent food rot with minecarts.)

Oh yeah, and beware of ocean-biome dug areas refilling to 7/7 water on unretire/adventurer visit.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

We need a new thread title.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: Sanctume, builder of tropical paradises!
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2016, 05:13:24 pm »

No dfhack for 43.05.

I find it weird that I have cave moss growing and fungi-wood sappling already when I dig in the black sand layers. 

I plan to build above the sea level at z100.

I'm thinking MGM Grand Las Vegas building: it's greenish, lots of glass, marble and gold inside. 

7 wide road bridge; then construct "shops and restaurants" adjacent to this strip.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 09, 2016, 05:15:00 pm »

I love it!
I am going to make it a rule now that if a vote is passed and enough people vote, a turn can be extended by an extra week.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 09, 2016, 05:21:00 pm »

The plan is to build a road across the strait, on top of the water, allowing the Southern Goblins to see the rest of the World ?! =D
And shops and restaurants and what not will be built in this road ?

Loving it !

(If it ever comes to that, giving some extra time for projects is okay to me. But we shall see how things turn out before ;) )
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:22:46 pm by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2016, 06:00:46 pm »

I certainly used dfhack alpha 1 during my run (and found it far more stable than 42.06-alpha). There's now alpha 2 out too, with support for ruby scripts. I think some features are still missing, but it's halfway present.

Quite helpful for those large constructions, no scrolling several pages for each floor.

Dunno what other plans Sanctume has for their turn, after the bridge (though the bridge also depends on how complex it is going to be, 1-wide bridge probably could be done tomorrow).

@Imic: Kinda early, maybe? Sanctume posted the embark plans on 7th Dec.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:04:08 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2016, 06:06:01 pm »

The embark region is 5 tiles from north to south. So that's less than 4x48 tiles in the y-axis, and I plan to build 7 x-axis wide so wagons will not have issue colliding. 

Then build adjacent to this road: taverns / inns, libraries, temples. 
We shall see how fast I get magma glass furnace up.   I only embarked with 1000 logs.

I do plan to use green glass blocks for renewable items, and probably make a track in the middle of the road for delivering building materials and supplies from north to south.

Now if there is a large source of marble, then maybe marble blocks will speed up building.

Or if really ambitious, obsidian quarry: salt water + magma!

I may consider using dfhack for that to remember last material used for construction.  But I was planning stockpile dump via minecart and it will put nearest material on the top.  As I would build further away to the south, the green glass blocks should remain on top of the build material list.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 09, 2016, 06:09:33 pm »

Fleeting frames: don't worry, I put a timer on the poll.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 09, 2016, 06:46:52 pm »

Heh, yeah. Used multiple cart transport systems for that airline strip, myself.

7x48×5=1680. Could build 70%+ out of the rutile you brought along, even before considering bridges.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2016, 01:29:15 am »

Ch 2 The Beach Patrol

Late Winter 43

In the last days of Obsidian, Zasit idles alone in his bedroom, “I am near to my own Bed.  I am very pleased.”

Meanwhile, Erith, Sakzul, Vucar, Unib, Litast, and Logem are socializing (telling story, reciting poetry, simulating instrument, and dancing) in The Spice of Factions tavern. 

Zasit worships Arel, a deity most often takes the form of a rotting male dwarf and is associated with death and rivers. 

Erith and Litast worship Arban, a deity most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with fortresses, wealth, and jewels.

Sakzul worships Madush Morningtoungues the Flower Crab, a deity most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with agriculture and food.

Vucar worships Vutram,  a deity most often takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with nightmares, the night, the moon, animals, plants, the rain and fertility.

Unib worships Bal,  a deity most often takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with song.

Logem worships Oggez, a deity most often takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with caverns, earth and mountains.

1 Granite, 44

A new year and season arrives and we resume our labors.

The next morning, a pair of kobold thieves, Thrastrakus and Slotrading, have been spotted by our cat! 

Sakzul, our cook and militia commander declares her squad The Beach Patrol and begins to pursue the pair.

But hold on a second, a third thief, Stofilus has already grabbed two enormous tower-cap corkscrews sneaking out of the wagon house!

Spoiler: thief! (click to show/hide)

Sakzul turns around and goes after Stofilus instead!  Zasit hears the commotion and shouts for everyone to join The Beach Patrol. 

Stofilus must have realizes it is busted, drops the corkscrews and hauls ass out of Sandalswims.

The Beach Patrol gives chase.  Brewer Vucar is the first to catch up on Stofilus and grabs its right shoulder.  The kobold thief stabs Vucar in the left hand with a large copper dagger that tears the muscle through the now tattered pig tail mittens! 

Glass Litast tackles the kobold and gabbing toes and feet.  Litast manages a left hook in the the upper body that made Stofilus stagger and miss its double stabs.

Vucar and Litast tag team wrestles Stofilus to such painful predicament of joint locks that it loses hold of the dagger. 

The Cook Sakzul arrives and hacks the copper battle-axe aiming for the head.  The blade tears a skull tendon apart.

Vucar and Litast continues giving pain to Stofilus while Sakzul is now hacking the upper spine. 

Zasit arrives and throws punches in between Sakzul’s axe swings.

In the meantime, Slotrading leaves the area while Thrastrakus is panicking at the shores of south beach.

Zasit says, “In the midst of conflict, I laugh in the face of death!”  Sakzul and Litast agree with Zasit.

But then Vucar, Litast and Sakzul stopped, stunned, as they witness Zasit straddles and strangles Slotrading’s throat.

Sakzul picks up the large copper dagger and dropping the copper battle-axe, “Don’t just stand around, get that other one!”

Vucar says, “I’ve been wounded.  It’s annoying!”

They give chase once again.  Back in the wagon house, Erith, Unib and Logem remain asleep in this entire ordeal.

--

Litast attacks Thrastrakus and bites it in the lower body.  The kobold thief looks sick and falls over. 

The kobold stabs and misses while Litast works on more wrestling maneuvers.

Litast executes a spinning left kick on to the right cheek that collapses the injured part.  Thrastrakus vomits into the ocean wave. 

The kobold thief manages to scratch Litast in the right hand. 

Vucar arrives and tries to grapple.  But Sakzul steps closer and stabs the kobold in the lower body, tearing the guts.

Unbelievable!  The kobold thief looks even more sick!

Vucar and Litast holds Thrastrakus in place as Sakzul slashes with her large copper dagger in the lower body again that it is mostly cut away from the rest of the torso.

Blood, guts, vomit spray everywhere mingling with the ocean spray and soothing mists.

Vucar is feeling satisfied to have improved his fighting.  The other three laugh in the face of death!  Zasit casually picks up the second large copper dagger.

4 Granite

Doctor Unib is still asleep.  We will need a health clinic sooner, and a well for a source of fresh water.

A makeshift hospital was created but it is soon abandoned because there is no fresh water source for Vucar.

Area for the hospital is dug, followed by plans for the well cistern and canals towards the ocean for water source.

2 Slate

Almost a month passed by and we are still smoothing the stone plumbing for the well.

We will also need to dig rooms for a temporary metalsmith forge for needed items.

Siltstone boulders are being dumped into a pile to help clear the well cistern, hospital, and water canals faster.

26 Felsite, Late Spring

The hospital is functional but needs a little bit more cleaning.  It has an eight bed capacity, with two operating tables and two traction benches.  We have plenty of supplies and five fresh rock nut soap bars.

The well features gold block, gold bucket, gold chain, and silver mechanisms.  The salt water source is filtered fresh using natural gravity water pressure.  And there is a portable drain for future maintenance controlled via lever and hatch cover.

Spoiler: hospital and well (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:33:15 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2016, 04:25:02 am »

- Never looked at worship list in populace. I must say, with all the wars Arel would be a promising guy  - expect I'm not sure one can receive slabs post-worldgen. I do know Arel helped one demon to enter the world, I think the southern mainland ones?

Briefly took a peek in their vault.

Vutram was the deity of the old king, and why Moonhome was moon-home. I consider them the patron deity of Rhyming Occult-Palisade, but it's more of a "1 among equals" thing.

- Ooh, didn't know thieves benefit from multi-hauling update too.

I usually do so much above-ground that kobold thieves get scared away far before reaching the font door.

But sounds like the other one managed to get something?

And now there's a daggerwielder dwarf. Well, it's light metal weapon. With the soothing ocean sprays, I think the third biggest danger might be dodging into a pool right now, after being stabbed by kobold and workplace accident.

- Heh. Smoothing stone when there's people injured :3 Dedication to layout, alright.

- Hm, did you embark with gold? The land might have some.

I haven't asked you, but do the doors hold back a werebeast, given their buildingdestroyer nature?

Though this land doesn't have any werebeasts yet, I think, so no need to worry about that.

And at the very least, it looks royal.

- Ah. Was wondering if you used mechanics or forge for the silver mechanisms.

The layout reminds me of that 7x7 fort idea posted in DFFMD recently.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35