Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 118382 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: Sanctume, builder of tropical paradises!
« Reply #195 on: December 10, 2016, 09:26:33 am »

I wonder... did Arel create this world's Ferryman?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2016, 10:28:01 am »

I had to do something while letting them socialize the last days of the year.  I was hoping to get them hooked up, but I only for 2 friendly terms with each other. 

My stuff was on that first floor, 2nd floor can be locked via hatch.  And then I have that other building digging below.  So one of those kobolds was able to sneak in while the other 2 were discovered outside. 

I just created a squad with no uniform.  Sakzul is my novice axe dwarf and wood cutter, so she was carrying an axe.  Socialite "mayor" Zasit and Broker Erith are the miners.  I love having knife fighters. 

Vucar lay down on the hospital floor and then I got spammed with no water source.  I removed the hospital and Vucar was able to help out instead of being useless despite the injured hand.  He has sensory damage now.

I embarked with maybe 10 to 25 gold, maybe 25 to 50 tetrahedrite, and 50 malachite. 

Oh yeah, we have gold goblets now because this is paradise.

I think doors will slow down werebeast, but I have not considered a better defense yet.  I do hope to get a few were that I can lock them up and make blocks or collect sand forever or dig explore.

Silver can be made into mechanisms in the metalsmith forge.  I think since silver can be a trap component.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2016, 11:46:44 am »

Last time I checked, there were no were curses in this World. Nor vampires... Maybe it has changed.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 10, 2016, 02:09:43 pm »

@Khan: Bunch of watery quadropeds, I guess.

@Sanctume: Large all-dwarves communal meeting areas seem to not work so well - tried and was why it took years before I ..gave up and used paired rooms.

Now those, those work far faster, in a matter of months to become lovers.

Though this didn't work for quite all dwarves, I sometimes swapped out one of the dwarves until I found one who was willing to advance the relationship, or even gave up on one dwarf willing to marry by gaydar - the dwarf should better not loathe family, romance or friendship, I think.

Poor Vucar. At least you have soap.

Weres are main reason I use hatched hospital/jail designs. Dwarves love to eat in them ^^;;

Any one metal bar can be made into a mechanism at the mechanic's workshop with carbon source, but only via manager. Useful for those metals that are not weapon-capable.

@Spriggans: Not when I checked in...year 40 or so.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2016, 02:53:00 pm »

I got 6 migrants and got hung up in their details.  I should just get their usefulness out of the way and move on.

But 2 married couples from Moonhome, and 2 singles: 2 Legendary Mace, 1 Legendary Spear, 1 Legendary Miner, 1 Great Marksdwarf, and an Accomplished Fighter.

Taking a break, and do some house decorating.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 10, 2016, 04:54:47 pm »

I never brothered with marksdwarfship much after the cyclops died :P Just something to have in case of flame titans.

The spear is probably relatively weak, with armor user lagging - I established that squad last, so they only had a short time to train, but the mace might be decent, miner...could be strong or meh (relatively speaking). Lacking DT on linux (I know there's certain cmake instruction but I failed to get that to work instead of freezing computer), I have not been sure how strong someone like the queen is...thankfully, recently discovered gui/gm-unit to help with that. Could be better (Lagging concentration, some nils presumably due alpha and some skills, like the weapon skill mining, missing - but that's usually ~equal to fighter. Well, higher here, since she mooded as miner. Surprised at all that climbing exp.)

I know not everyone from Moonhome has useful civilian skills, at some point I was just "damn give me more babies already" and put mooded fresh peasants/bone carvers/stone crafters straight into arranged marriages/military.

Perhaps danger-room the expedition leader with a minecart, if you have the time? I forgot to do that myself, though I had it in mind after one got killed by cyclops. Traders were the only ones who died in the fort, but die they did. RIP Wagon, we sleep on your corpse.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:03:13 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 10, 2016, 10:41:25 pm »

I don't know this the mechanics of this "minecart danger room" but is sounds fun.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2016, 02:58:58 am »

Remember this from deathgame?

All other danger rooms I've tried either injure the participants, segfault or both in 43.05. You could get around the segfaulting with artifacts, I think, but the twisting will have even artifact tower-cap earring draw blood on clothed dwarves with 1z QSP loop drop training, I think. (Not sure about artifact featherwood earring.)

If you look to the south side of the moonhome coast, you can see I built one unit there - to have the teacher 5/biter 5 also lead dodging demonstrations.

Later on, I've come to  consider it may have been a mistake for citizen dwarf training, however. Sure, dodging is incredibly vital skill, perhaps the best defensive skill, but...
• Your play time wise, it's so much faster to just stick them into a squad than to micromanage them into a room, especially given that you probably use a squad to get them into a room anyway.
• Armor user tends to lag for military-trained dwarves thanks to dodging, blocking and parrying taking priority. Demonstrations from legendary armor user/teacher like the queen can massively help with this, thankfully, and is a reason to not encourage sparring, or to perhaps let them train without a shield first.

(Always used default train 10 minimum in Moonhome - partly due seeding teachers but also due laziness)

Theoretically, it should be safe to leave those bouncers in a meeting area somewhere, but dwarves won't move into a tile where one bounces, claiming dangerous terrain, thus necessitating additional plans. No testing so far, partly due the above concerns.

It has it's place, though:
- When in-game time, such as in successions or due impending necromancers is a concern.
- Works on children, so there's that. No crazy size boosts due not affecting strength, tho.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2016, 12:53:28 pm »

@Fleeting

I don't quite get how that dodge training is setup to work in Deathgame.  Can you explain a bit more?

I took images from there

What are the steps for a militia member to train?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2016, 02:55:41 pm »

Ch 3 Summer Time, Autumn Trade

1 Hematite, 44

Vermin remains are becoming very unsightly so we are making the garbage chute a priority.

Broker Erith also insist that a trade depot should be built before autumn.

4 Malachite , 44

While working on the garbage chute, we also plan to make some weapons: 2 silver war hammers, 2 silver maces, 3 copper picks, and 3 copper battle-axes.

Walls around the trade depot started also. 

And then construction begins on the “Farmhouse” above the farm plots with its separate entrance.  It will have four modest rooms.

23 Malachite , 44

6 migrants arrive, seemingly from Moonhome.

Etur Gladnessdaggers, “Mace Etur” is a legendary miner, armorsmith, organizer, and macedwarf!
She arrives with her husband Etur Staffworked (but did not come with her lover Nil?)
She is a worshiper of Arban and Bal.

Etur Staffworked, “Miner Etur” is a legendary miner, and worshiper of Vutram and Bal.
He is the husband of Etur Gladnessdaggers.

Ustuth Warthtomb is an accomplished fighter at the age of 21, and is the husband of Kubuk Hoarymetal.  He worships Madush and likes war hammers.

Kubuk Hoarymetal is a legendary macedwarf, and worshiper of Vutram and Bal also.
She is 27 years old and the wife of Ustuth Warthtomb.  She is currently nauseated and disgusted by the sun.

Mistem Knifestill is legendary speardwarf, and worshiper of Oggez and Madush.  She is 84 years old and dreams of raising a family.  Mistem is also a high master stonecrafter.

And Rith Wheeleddangle is a great marksdwarf who worships Vutram and Bal also.  She is 29 years old.

Spoiler: migrants wave 2 (click to show/hide)

15 Galena, 44

The farmhouse will need priority and we will continue to use rutile blocks with vomit stains all over.

Spoiler: farmhouse construction (click to show/hide)

An exploration dig began and we found marble.

1 Limestone, 44

Autumn arrives and we are spread out doing too many things that no significant progress has been made. 

For this season, we will focus on making a marble quarry and plan for ramps to bring the blocks on the surface.

12 Limestone, 44

The outpost liaison Ablel and a caravan Nokimalath from Nanirasrathkogsak arrive.

Miner Etur is now the broker being a legendary appraiser.

The new is that the world is the same as ever.

Trade went well, prepare meals and green glass corkscrews for more food, steel anvils, and bags and leather.

Spoiler: trade depot (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:21:26 pm by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »

- Hm. Not sure how your trader luck goes.

- Never brothered with copper weaponry outside marksdwarves. It'll do fine against unarmed targets, I guess.

- Etur Gladnessdagger....I think she was originally in miner squad before I transferred her to mace squad. So she trained two weapon skills to legendary through sparring and demonstrations.

....And also two-timed on her relationships, while the fort was retired! That pshycics-breaker only had Nil as lover initially!

- Mistem Knifestill....That's old enough to be among initial 19....
What did I have her doing before Spear, I wonder? *checks* Stonecrafts for queen, apparently.

And well, Ustuth and Kubuks's skill differences embody the idea: babies before military.

Did they keep their mentions of whatever artifacts they crafted, or bring any equiment with them? Of those 6, Ustuth is the only one who hasn't mooded (as you can tell by the Rusty novice armorsmithing).

- Oh yeah, cave adaption. Well, purple/green/white make good combination, at least?

- Oh hey, you got the caravan. Nice.

....Wait a sec. Naniräsrathkogsak? That's "Rhyming Occult-Palisade", the civ name. Not Ilonbom. Curious.

PS: Dodge training:
Hm, what else to tell other than the reveal post or the map poi...

Well, starting it: For each cart, a route to get the dodge-trainee to place them into each unit near screw pump from starting position (and later, to move back out).

In Deathgame, squad stationing orders, guided minecart with pressure plate (can't escape when power is on) and airlocks were used to ensure only the picked dwarves trained for selected amount of time.

For outpost liaison, you could have cart already inside when they come, with the only path to leader being through one of those (with two doors instead of one). Lock doors before meeting (so they'll not go insane) as they're inside, turn on, open normal path back up so the fort can operate. Maybe add water with the screw pump so they'll train swimming at the same time.

Though if they die, the replacement will probably have far superior fighting prowess anyway.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:39:56 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2016, 02:01:58 am »

Ch 4 Autumn Migrants, Quarry Ramp, Winter Dig

3 Sandstone, 44

A flock of buzzards are scavenging around the trade depot. 

Mace Etur is commissioned to captain of the The Strapping Tools with Kubuk.

Rith is the lone member of The Bells of Liberation equipped with copper crossbows to handle the buzzards problem.

Mistem managed to climb up the trade depot walls but was unable to climb or jump down to the point of irritation from a great thirst. 

Rith reported that the buzzards have left and that Mistem is crying up on the wall and need rescuing.  After constructed stairs and floors later, Mistem runs to quench her thirst in the tavern.

27 Sandstone, 44

More migrants arrive in Sandalswims.

Iton Godgilt, “Mechanic Iton”, legendary miner and skilled marksdwarf and mechanic.  She appears to be 153 years old.

Edem Numberstaff, “Xbow Edem”, is 25 years old and a great marksdwarf.

Zon Reasonpulley, “Captain Zon”, is legendary hammerdwarf, he will head a new squad, The Calm of Clasps.

Erush Divedtrumpets is 20 years old and a legendary miner and legendary fighter.  She is married to Kol Mirrorstream.

Kol Mirrorstream is 15 years old and a legendary bonecarver.  He is married to Erush Divedtrumpets.

Asen Hammertwists] is 32 years old and is married to Cilod Dipguilds.  He is a legendary weaponsmith, and legendary macedwarf.

Cilod Dipguilds is 31 years old and married to Asen Hammertwists.  He is a legendary macedwarf and a high master wood carver.

Ingish Metalslide is a ten year old child, youngest daughter of Cilo and Asen.

Bembul Ringwarmth is 18 years old and she is a legendary speardwarf and legendary wood carver.

17 Timber, 44

The Quarry house’s first floor bedrooms are being furnished with marble.  The second floor bedrooms are furnished with mixed marble and rutile.

Spoiler: The Quarry House (click to show/hide)

2 Moonstone, 44

Winter is upon us, and Slotrading the kobold thief has been spotted sneaking around but it quickly left the map.

There are 3 levels worth of marble veins to quarry and we are working of the first.  Mason shops are built, and the “quarry ramp” tracks are constructed using marble blocks along the outer spiral of a 4-wide ramp starting from the marble quarry towards the surface just below the quarry house.

Spoiler: Quarry Ramp (click to show/hide)

Obsidian, 44

Spoiler: rest area (click to show/hide)

We dug and furnished a rest area to make use of gabbro stones found down in z70. 
There are unassigned rooms here, with a dine hall, and drink & food stockpile.

We found some gold vein while digging deeper.

We discovered two caverns so far, but we have not discovered the magma sea yet.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2016, 03:53:39 am »

- Silly dwarves, climbing is for parakeet men!

Did you repeat warn-starving, or just looked around with so few dwarves somebody having "No job"?

- Heh. More migrants from Moonhome. Zon in particular had an elevated role as scribe, and something else maybe?

...I don't think so about Iton Godgilt, though. The oldest one when I started was something like 84 years old iirc, and in 39 years that would be merely 123. Maybe from a different player fort?

Note that the high mastery is actually legendary mooded skill, lowered by rust.

At least the weaponsmithing is unrusted, so got that to go with the legendary armorsmith.

- Mirror image bedrooms. Heh. Woud work even better if there were any glumprong trees, but that has it's own problems.

- That's pretty languid ascent on the outer side...Of something that looks like a caravan slowdown entrance.

On a curious note, you can fit 83 blocks in a minecart, but only 5 stones - but utilizing this means you'll have to put 83 blocks into a minecart. Something to ponder.

- Hm, yeah, I think I also had gold around z70 by prospect (never dug it up to save FPS). z82 and z50 might also be interesting z-levels.

I had magma sea at -19, FYI. The map is thick. Still considering the pumpstack?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »

I lucked out, as I was looking what do with the trade depot, be it a lookout tower or maybe kea traps of sorts. 

I've seen age description to say "appearance of xxx years old" but no specific age. 
I've seen it happen in Agesrelics McUrist, where someone who became were-mice changes from showing real age to "appears xxx years old".  But then a normal migrant had similar age description that was not a were-beast.

I did the spiral ramps which should normally put foot traffic in the center away from the tracks. 
I have not really worked in a "safe-ish" impulse propelled loaded minecarts.  I will start with a manual guide, dump, and return track stops first.  (maybe)

I just want to use my steel minecarts and fill them with magma so I can start green glass production on the surface.

Then a second minecart batch for gold smelting.

At this rate, I may have to focus on marble quarry, masons, and making marble blocks and get the minecart bring them to the top.

Hmmm.  5 boulders = 20 blocks. 83 blocks = ~20 boulders.  But we're talking about hauling jobs.

I have a QSP marble in the middle of the quarry with 6 mason shops. 
If boulders can be brought up the surface near where they are needed; then a 3x3 or 3x6 area can house mason shops easily. 

I do plan to have a 7-wide bridge; so I can in theory build 2 mason shops every 22 tiles, and continue to expand the minecart tracks to dump marble stones near the new mason shops.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2016, 03:06:02 pm »

- Well, I very rarely utilize guided carts, but carrying a stone cart is safe, unless you decide to cancel the job and drop it onto a valid track/ramp.

Then it starts rolling. *vrooooomsplat*

Like I said, I very rarely utilize guided carts. My quarry systems favour pushed ones and sometimes statues to prevent stupidness from animal population.

- Heh. Haven't actually built strongly impulse-powered elevators eithers. I've used almost entirely checkpoint-based elevators so far.

- Annoying thing about that track expansion is that regular floor acts as floor. Including central track/bridge pinstripe?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35