Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 118391 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: Sanctume, builder of tropical paradises!
« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2016, 05:57:59 pm »

Yeah, those are constructed tracks, and the triangles are constructed track/ramps which can be used for impulse ramps. 

All of them are path-able, but I am hoping the inner part of the spiral is the shortest way to traverse this area and no foot traffic for the tracks.

It might give me an excuse to make gold mundane stone statues lining against it separating the tracks also.

Must test impulse push.  But may need to add track/ramp midway on some of those normal tracks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2016, 09:32:01 pm »

To truly keep foot traffic off, you need to prevent any tiles minecart is pushed over from being walkable. I like to put statues at both start and end to enclose the track.

The reason I prefer checkpoint elevators (the alternating EW/NSW kind) is that can use same path for ascent and descent, and can move near 1 z-level/step at almost any cart speed (2 with high speed based design).

Impulse allows for more unusual shapes and delivery, though, even to the point of flying, shotgunning to get to return sooner and passing through walls (don't completely understand this behaviour).

And of course, guided allows for most unique shapes, though guiding a cart up stairs is the same as hauling it.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2016, 02:00:38 am »

When guiding, the dwarf is not slowed down by the weight, I think.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2016, 02:20:01 am »

Ch 5 Hamlet Sandalswims

1 Granite, 45

It’s a new year and spring season once again, and our hamlet Sandalswims has a population of 22.

We will focus on making 8 bedrooms above the trade depot.

2 Granite, 45

The kobold thief Slotradin is back, and is promptly chased away.

Testing the marble stone hauling route.  Setting route stops.
And it fails miserably.  Next test will be using impulse propulsion ramps.

In this setup, someone pushes the minecart east, then immediately turn around reaching the Track Ramp EW and ends up back to the track stop.

In another test, push minecart moves the cart east then go back west to the track stop.

More failure, was that once the minecart is loaded with marble, haulers takes out marble in the minecart and back to the other stockpile.

Spoiler: failed hauling tracks (click to show/hide)

We reached the semi-molted rock, we will begin to spread and search for magma.

Spoiler: semi-molten rock (click to show/hide)

19 Granite, 45

Astesh Carnalspears, a legendary miner.  He has the appearance of somebody that is 160 years old.

Vucar Wordsvessel, a legendary miner.  She is 28 years old.

Meng Buddedrocks, a legendary miner.  He is 33 years old and the husband to Goden Lashedbranded.

Goden Lashedbranded, a legendary miner.  She is 28 years old and the wife to Goden Meng Buddedrocks.

Nomal Bannerconfuse is an accomplished marksdwarf.  She is 24 years old.

Rigoth Focuschannels is a legendary axedwarf.  She is 25 years old, and a wood cutter wielding “Kindbanners”, an adamantine battle axe.

Dastot Orbsscorched is a highmaster stonecrafter.  She is 25 years old.

gg66 Solar is a legendary miner, armorsmith, leather worker, and herbalist.  highmaster stonecrafter.  He has the appearance of somebody that is 108 years old.  He is the lover of ‘Shield Edem’ who is not present in Sandalswims.

Bim Portalpractice is a legendary miner and wood crafter.  She is 20 years old and wife to Lor Shoresmith. 

Lor Shoresmith is a legendary bone carver.  He is 15 years old and husband to Bim Portalpractice.

Sigun Practiceroughness is a legendary speardwarf and wood crafter.  He is 19 years old and husband to Dumed Paddlemortal.

Dumed Paddlemortal is a professional marksdwarf.  She is 24 years old wife to Sigun Practiceroughness.

Momuz Magicroughness is a legendary wood crafter.  He is 16 years old.

Bim Coalcut is a high master clothier.  She is 52 years old.

Vabok Chastegorges is a peasant.  He is 51 years old.

Onget Gripanvil is an adept hammerdwarf and adequate leather worker.  He is 69 years old.

Thob Mobbedlancers is a dabbling grower.  She is 73 years old.

Lokum Hallstill is a talented macedwarf.  He is 91 years old.

Deduk Strappedlinked is a novice carpenter.  He is 73 years old.

Doren Lancestockade is an adequate papermaker.  He is 63 years old.

Our populations rises to 42.

4 Slate, 45

Onget Gripanvil has been possessed, claims a Leather Works and takes 2 pig leathers.
Six days later, Onget made “Rivergores”, a sleek pig leather left glove.

Spoiler: left leather glove (click to show/hide)

1 Felsite, 45

We crammed 16 bedrooms above the trade depot for more immediate housing.

Spoiler: trade depot housing (click to show/hide)

22 Felsite, 45

We finally discovered the magma in the caverns where there are trees to gather, so we are setting up “The Woodshop” with some housing above it (maybe).

Spoiler: The Woodshop (click to show/hide)

2 Hematite, 45
A voracious cave crawler tries to enter The Woodshop but Xbow Edem is working here and casually shoots a copper bolt in its head, tearing the brain.

Spoiler: xbow edem (click to show/hide)

10 Hematite, 45

Raw adamantine! Praise the miners wood cutters!  Adamantine veins can be seen in the cavern.

Spoiler: candy in cavern (click to show/hide)

14 Hematite, 45

While we are adding impulse ramps on the spiral, a human caravan from Omon Bini arrives.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2016, 02:35:59 am »

You are being given an extra week, use it wisely.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »

- Hehehehehe. How did it fail, anyway?

Anyway, you can't ascend track/ramps with just push coming from flat ground - you'll need to either checkpoint through them or to have more speed. And track/ramp afterwards in the latter case if cart could go flying.

I've never had haulers remove stones from minecart without stockpile give link.

- Hm, seems you're draining the Moonhome in 2 to 1 ratio. The ages and relationships are a giveaway. Well, it is only threatened by wildlife and maybe the trained hydra and FBs later on, so it should persist.

Yay, enabling mining/hunting/woodcutting worked to bring gear. Kindbanners is true artifact, btw, not just spar-named weapon.

"gg66" Solar is one of the starting seven from Moonhome, and ....Queen consort. Seems off-loaded sites don't follow normal marriage rules quite so much, for a gay guy to fancy her majesty. ('course, now he's more like 105 or 106, not 66).

- Hm. so you can get moods, now. While 21 dwarves was insufficient - probably due previous moods.

How high are you planning to make that tower, btw?

- Man, the Woodshop is deep. Didn't expect a disconnected fort.

At that depth...I had third cavern almost entirely submerged. I take it yours is dryer.

- Ooh, careful. I zone-checked a vein in my third cavern, and the silly thing had circus at top level. That could have been nasty surprise, with the lack of dry ground (which could have also acted as anti-syndrome/web/fire blessing, admittedly).

@Gwolfski: I've had dwarves slowed down by weight pretty commonly, even on tracks

@Imic: Kinda needed, with two succession forts at the same time.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2016, 03:15:59 pm »

Yeah, guide minecart don't work going up.  The impulse ramp works, just need to dig a chute for a return trip. 
I initially thought the minecart flew through the stockpile, but dumping items sees instant.
The tower-cap minecart flew about 30 tiles further east, but the 83 blocks were dumped ok. 
But before I dig down, I need to construct walls and prevent ocean waves from forming water in my return chute / digs.

I thought moods will activate at 20 dwarfs, and based on revealed tiles via mining also.

The Woodshop was to just harvest wood, but then, I just want food and drink stockpile.  Probably would not add bed or dine room. 
I have not made any cage traps.  Once I get magma up, I'm going to work on the bridge.

Hmm, tower height.
z99 is the level over the water, where 7/7 ocean water is at z98.
So z100 will be the true path from north shore to south shore.
7-wide walk way;
+ 1 wide wall, then 3x3 or 5x5 base room building attachments. 
I do like 7x7 for taverns / temple / libraries.
As for how tall, 1 to 2 floor levels with the 3rd as roofs.

I'm trying to picture an adventurer walking on this bridge with shops and buildings on the sides hanging over the ocean.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2016, 06:35:23 pm »

Moods will activate at 20 eligible people for moods - but I think majority of Moonhome population already mooded.

Cage traps do nothing for retired sites anyway.

Not sure what sort of buildings are useful in adventure mode anyway - bridges let you cross areas, and high-speed minecart railways might be helpful in the mountains where you can't fast travel. Food, equipment and drink might get scattered about though, not sure (maybe if you get them in the forge?). Tavern with barkeep to recruit followers from and to get drinks?

It's probably obvious, but I've hardly played adventure mode :P

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2016, 12:55:45 am »

Ch 6 Village Sandalswims

15 Hematite, 45

Our next focus is fill minecarts with magma and bring them to the surface for a few magma workshops.  But Deduk Strappedlinked managed to lock himself in the magma portable drain.

Anyway, the concept is simple.  Dump steel minecarts into a chute.  Pump magma into the chute.  Drain the magma out.  And haul the minecarts to the surface.

Spoiler: magma filling (click to show/hide)

7 Malachite, 45

The minecart loaded with marble blocks is ready for testing against a push onto impulse ramps along the ramp spiral...

Good news, the pushed minecart travelled up the impulse ramps all the way to the surface, and dumped the marble blocks to the destination stockpile.  However, the minecart continues 30 more tiles to the east.  This will be remedied by digging a drop chute for the minecart to return down the marble quarry.

10 Malachite, 45

Nine migrants arrive in Sandalswims.

Bomrek Woundcomet, a competent bookkeper, 78 female (skill).

Sodel Tansling, a novice metalsmith, 81 male (mw).

Thob Dabblefurnace, a novice pump operator, 74 female (skill).

Melbil Dikegripped, a novice stone crafter, 75 male (skill).

Sarvesh Namedcrypt, an adequate bookbinder, 53 female (mw).

Fikod Trailracks, an adequate sworddwarf, 94 male (skill).

Shorast Abbeyglades, an talented miller, 64 male (skill).

Dakost Combinedwhip, an adequate architect, 73 male (skill).

Muthkat Speardale, an adequate dyer, 121 female (mw).

The Village Sandalswims’ population rises to 51.

14 Malachite, 45

Oh noes!  The marble quarry seems to be flooding.  We have not breached up the surface to dig the minecart chute because the ocean waves might drop water down the marble quarry and flood it. 

It's something else, like there is a layer of conglomerate that is part of an aquifer.  Smoothing this stop the water leaking the marble quarry.  It's quite a mess.

Spoiler: water leak (click to show/hide)

We're getting distracted again, but we need to put effort in building more houses for the new migrants.  So a housing construction begins near the the shore.

4 Galena, 45

The Forgotten Beast Kudo has come! A gigantic one-eyed iguanadont.  Beware it’s deadly blood!

Sandalswims is a peaceful tropical paradise, and we’re not equipped for warfare.  We are caught with our trousers down because we do not even have a civilian alert to get everyone to safe burrows.  And no armor made.

Kudo shows up in the cavern, and we need to pull the bridge up.  Hurry!  But it’s too late, Kudo is in The Woodshop.

The paper maker Doren was out gathering logs and is the first to fall with his head biten off by Kudo.

Lor the bone carver’s head is next to fall with a punch in the head.

Of our 9 assigned militia, Mace Kubuk is first to engage Kudo with her -silver mace- and (-iron buckler-) and civilian grade clothes.  On the third day of the fight, Kubuk has pretty much pulverized every bone of Kudo with mace bashes and punches.

Spoiler: Kubuk vs Kudo (click to show/hide)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2016, 02:14:26 am »

W- wow.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2016, 03:56:21 am »

A FB in paradise ??
That doesn't sound right ! :P
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2016, 08:56:06 am »

- Never used "hole-filling" method myself. That said, I'd probably look into automating it with stockpiles, were I to use it for water-cart trade goods - for magma, if the floor is made of downstairs, draining should be quick.

I'd probably build two one-way paths instead, to descend from one and ascend from other, and probably include some power to keep filling trench filled.

Though, hm - if the trench is as much as possible impulse ramps and contains enough magma, could use a pressure plate on a floodgate or bridge to give delay for all carts to pile in and then free them from the confinement to escape, as far as "mass-fill" goes.

- 30 more floor tiles? Sounds like about 30-35k speed, assuming your track stop is set to lowest friction - dwarven push onto track/ramp or placing on ramp would fit. Are you sure you don't have checkpoint elevator instead?

(The difference is that the direction of ramps' floor exits varies from ramp to ramp.)

- Hm, seems you're now getting normal dwarves - guess the other ones in mountainhome didn't feel the need to wander. What do you mean by (mw) or (skill)?

- Oh yeah, glancing around I saw conglomerate aquifers at various sites. They typically had kaolinite clusters to go through, so not much a concern.

- Didn't you produce some weapons? You have legendary fighters, should be fine...

Seriously, webbing FBs, deadly fog FBs, syndrome titans - I think my military didn't get hit once, making armor superfluous. Of course, I tried to give advantageous ambush positions, but still.

...Oh right. You have some untrained haulers.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2016, 11:41:04 am »

The hole filling can be automated actually, but needs a powered roller to push out the minecart filled with magma. 
It can work as an auto-ammo loading for minecart shotguns actually (ref DFWanderingKid's youtube minecart grinder) since drop chute full of minecarts will have exactly 1 minecart at the bottom and the others will QSP z+1 above. 

That 4-wide ramp spiral, the outer edges has the tracks and track/ramps.  I added 2 impulse ramps: 1 at the end before the next z+1, and 1 impulse track/ramp 3 tiles away.

So from the bottom.

S--^--^W 
S=track stop loading, -=tracks, ^=SE impulse track/ramp, W=wall

Yup getting normal dwarves now.  The fort is on the north side of the embark, which is on the large continent side. 
To the south is Moonhome, but on a small island south and west of the smallish continent to the south.  Could be the first 2 waves are from Moonhome, while the rest come from somewhere up north?

Those are my shorthand for migrants perusing: (skill) is dreams of mastering skills, (mw) dreams of masterwork.  (art) dreams of great art. (fam) dreams of raising family. (rule) dreams of ruling the world.   

I made some weapons from copper and silver (off 30 tetrahedrite I embarked with).  No armor.  Iron came from human caravan.  Those would be melted to make steel once I get the magma hauled up.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2016, 11:57:13 am »

Yah, though can probably also do it without power - the tricky thing is carts only having 2 step separation, so if you have cart spend longer than that on a tile you will have to plan for working with colissions - that may not happen if you only toss in 1 cart, so need to plan for that. While not familiar with the video, as far as ammo auto-loading for shotguns go, it limits cadence - non-dropping designs pioneered by Larix are faster.

FYI, this would work for both ways due checkpointing through the ramp
S----^^W 

With the far from wall one using NSE(with walls to north and south) so that going east, it will go onto different exit track/ramp and checkpoint over, and coming from east, it will also go onto a different exit track/ramp and checkpoint over.

I think this was the fourth+ migrant wave. Two hardcoded migrant waves bring between 1 to 10 dwarves each, and then the spring's wave is third with 20+ dwarves. You had 42 dwarves before, so 3 waves.

Never brothered about those dreams. Not sure how you'd even fulfil "rule the world". Would killing all other civs and installing them as king work, or does it need to go further than that?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2016, 01:07:42 pm »

Minecart collisions will work to help push minecarts out of 7/7 magma. 
Using only impulse to move minecarts into 7/7 will fail to fill the magma just by impulse alone even when dropped onto an impulse ramp. 
Anyway, I'm just used to using this minecart filling setup.  I like it that the drain is fast, so no waiting for that 1/7 magma to evaporate.

I tend to filter those with (skill) dreams to be recruits.  (fam) for food services. 
mw) for specific crafting based on their item likes / material likes.
(rule) tends to be quite rare, and groomed for nobles or scholars or commander and captains.

I'm still building more houses.  It's tempting to just make a dorm, but I want hotel and suites to populate this paradise. 

Maybe I'll make slums beneath the bridge for the squatters since it will have a roof. :p
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35