Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 122141 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: Sanctume, builder of tropical paradises!
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2016, 05:06:30 pm »

- While you can use resting in tile to give the minecart/tile time to fill, you can't use collisions to push a cart out of magma if the collision's impulse is smaller than what pushed cart's tile's friction takes - first the cart pays friction, then it moves. With 7/7 magma, that's over two steps worth of acceleration - before accounting for empty cart requiring over 2*/4 times greater velocity due magma's weight. It's why Larix's powerless iron cart loader spaced the cart 52 steps apart, to prevent jams.

* Platinum carts are attractive, here, requiring nearly half the speed of iron's - below derail speed, below "dropped on ramp" speed - to punch cart out from trench. Perhaps dropping onto hatch just before magma trench would work? But I expect if there isn't a cart pre-resting in there the next cart would just checkpoint through, perhaps without picking up magma, unless you put track/floor in between (part of why I use two-long filling trenches).

- Yeah, 7/7 magma friction will overwhelm ramp acceleration. However, 7/7 has vastly greater friction than partially full tiles, which is why my powerless magma elevator in Moonhome works. Hence the thought of floodgate timer for mass cart filling - once the carts have all been loaded, the floodgate lowers the fluid level and carts roll out. Maybe with a pressure plate somewhere set to magma-full cart weight to add greater delay?

- I suppose dwarves with similar jobs are more likely to become friendly by wiki, so there's that for sorting fams into 1 profession. But with moods, just about everyone ends up creating a masterwork one day.

- Heh. Went part of the way to dorm myself, with the bedroom barracks. Perhaps give married people two beds?

Can always build temporary ceiling, then remove it for inside-only buildings. It's what I did for the open-air library.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:10:28 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2016, 02:04:52 am »

Ch 7 Pool of Blood

12 Galena, 45

Oops, we had an accidental minecart shotgun.  Fortunately, no injury.  The minecart to carry marble blocks to the surface was still active.  However, the construction for the track stop to dump to a new QSP marble block stockpile is not there.  So, the full load minecart slammed onto a rutile wall, and its contents burst over the wall and far to the east some 39 tiles away.

Spoiler: accidental shotgun (click to show/hide)

14 Galena, 45

We started the minecart magma filler, and filled 6 steel minecarts.  A minecart stockpile is set above near the surface.  And we’re looking for a spot to place down a magma glass furnace, magma smelter, and magma forge.

12 Galena, 45

Gold vein in z58, maybe set the magma smelter and magma forge here first.

20 Galena, 45

Doctor Unib has been possesed and claims a mason’s workshop.  He first grabs a marble stone and two other mundane stones and creates :Sneerlanter, a marble table.

Spoiler: marble table artifact (click to show/hide)

27 Galena, 45

A troll is inside The Woodshop.  How did it get inside?  It just destroyed a hatch.  Kill it!

Miner Vucar decapitates the troll with her Ubur Eral, a masterful steel pick.

15 Limestone, 45

A caravan from Nanirasrathkogsak has arrived.  The world is the same as ever.

The water leak is happening again as we dig a drop chute for the marble block minecart to return down to the marble quarry.

3 Sandstone, 45

Litast Granitesoar has been found dead.  He was one of the founder of Sandalswims, the glassmaker, a lover of crystal glass.  His slab says he bled to death, slain by the kobold Thrastrakus in the year 45.  But Thrastrakus was killed in the year 44.

6 Sandstone, 45

Logem Axemesh has been found dead.  He was also one of the founder of Sandalswims, the farmer.  Some wonder if the pools of Kudo’s blood appearing randomly is causing these deaths.

10 Sandstone, 45

Some migrants arrived.

Urdim Chapelshot, a novice hammerdwarf, f 62 (fam)

Tekkud Matchedroad, a high master miller, f 69 (art)

Edzul Matchedroad, an adequate bone doctor, m 169 (mw)

Kib Sealburns, an adequate record keeper, f 70 (fam)

Besmar Tradegully, a talented macedraft, f 70 (mw)

Ushrir Vaultrifts, a competent fisherdwarf, m 82 (fam)

Iden Lashshields, a novice cheesemaker, f 73 (art)

Iteb Lashshields, a legendary metal crafter, m 77

We finished constructing another house with a capacity for 16 bedrooms.  We ordered the furnitures.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 16, 2016, 02:47:53 am »

Pool of blood ? Hum interresting title ! :P
* reads log *
"Fortunately, no injury" => Nooo ! Damn it !

* keeps reading *
"His slab says he bled to death" => Yeaaaah xD  Blood for the Blood God ! :-*

"slain by the kobold Thrastrakus"
Wait ? Are you telling me that you let a kobold kill one of your dwarves ?? Is that even possible ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 16, 2016, 02:55:13 am »

The slab says the kobold killed Litast in '45, but that kobold was killed in '44. 
The engraver is probably drunk. 

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 16, 2016, 03:18:13 am »

Yeah, or maybe Litast was homophilic. That one small cut from the kobold killed him in the end.

Maybe infection due to a wound caused by the kobold ?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 16, 2016, 03:36:29 am »

I got hospital and soap early with well also. 
Will deadly blood of that FB still kill since pools of it sometimes show up elsewhere in the fort?
We already sold fb roast [380] for 16k

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 16, 2016, 03:54:57 am »

Deadly blood defenitely still kills and spreads, even months after death.
I once had a FB's extract that made necrosys on tissues.

Cats were the first to fall, walking in pools of it and rotting alive.
Since my fort was low on clothes, when the socks started to wither away, dwarves eventually walked naked feet in it. Spreading the plague...

Consider quarantining infected areas to prevent access, and using bathtubs to clean it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 16, 2016, 10:07:56 am »

- You know, if you installed a turn before the wall, there'd be no danger of shotgun and the minecart would drop down automatically :P

- And thus begins scattering of magma workshops everywhere. Why haul rocks a long distance, bars are much lighter amirite?

- Hm, the hatch was left open I take it.

- How---Ah. Deadly blood?

I take it is time to ensure everyone wears shoes or socks and install a (temporary? would be easier) cleaning through. Shame to lose two founders.

If you find any pools of blood, I've recently discovered that digging downstairs, in addition to flooring and paving, also clears it away.

- What did you set the migrant cap on, anyway? 60...Wait no, two died. 58 citizens in fort.

@Spriggans: heh. Entire forts have fallen to kobolds. Well, just one fort that I know of. But there could be more!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:11:10 am by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 16, 2016, 10:23:25 am »

The accidental shotgun was the test after installing the impulse ramps. 
I removed the old track stop, and plan to replace a track stop to dump north onto the QSP for marble blocks. 
That wall is to make it turn south and into the eventual return chute. 

There is no path to the (3rd) cavern that I know off except the 3-wide raising bridge in The Woodshop. 
The bridge was raised after FB Kudo got inside already. 

I did put a hatch in the Woodshop which leads down to the magma filling area. 
I'll try to remember to dig / construct over poos of Kudo blood. 
And maybe pick a dedicated cleaner.

I did not touch the init file, so I do not know what the pop cap is.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 16, 2016, 11:59:22 am »

A Ch 7.5 A Piece of Journal
a pig leather parchment with writings in dimple dye ink

Sandstone, 45

Dear reader, my dwarven civilization The Rhyming Occult-Pallisade’s people established the outpost, Moonhome, in a remote island to the south over forty years ago. 

Now, Sandalswims has become home to some of these legendary individuals from Moonhome which further fuels the great ambition in making this a tropical paradise as well a bridging this main continent to connect to the southern continent.

With the lack of trees in this desert beach, this bridge project is made more challenging by limiting our allowed building materials to marble, glass, and gold.

As we focus building on the infrastructure to support this goal, early injuries divert our effort towards making a hospital and finding fresh water source for the well. 

A family of kobold has been attracted to our presence and the generous supplies of our wagons.  We killed the parents, and the child kobold was able to run away.  It is quite tragic really for the soft-hearted to witness this surviving child kobold frequently attempting sneak in the village.  One of the engraved slabs about the two fallen kobolds, indicates a husband and wife kobold disappeared in the year 44.  Perhaps the child kobold Slotradin just wanted to search for its parents, because it ran away and did not witness its parents being struck down.

The ocean waves create soothing mists, but are also interrupting many jobs.  The dwarven caravans from the old home far to the north end of this main continent visit us with news that the world is the same as ever.

The founders of Sandalswims constructed houses above the surface, and the migrants are all sick from the sun.  The vomit mixes with the sand and salty ocean breeze has turned the surface into hues of green.

We also started attracting migrants from the main continent, and we continue to build new houses along the shores.

With this small delay in the project, engineers are busy designing and implementing ways to haul our building materials to the surface faster so that labors in the actual construction will be plentiful.

Our miners also are in a frantic search for magma so that we can make glass and smelt gold bars closer to the sources of the raw materials.

We found plenty of trees to harvest down in the cavern deep in the ground.  As we establish The Woodshop to harvest the logs, we attracted Kudo. 

Kudo is an ancient “iguanadon” monstrosity that moves so fast, it enters The Woodshop before the bridge was shut close.  We feared for the worse with only a token militia of ten, armed with metal weapons but no armor.  The heroic effort and skills of the legendary macedwarf Kuduk killed Kudo with a mundane silver mace, iron buckler, and no armor.

Alas, after the celebration of this victory, Kudo’s blood seems to be quite deadly as two of Sandalswims founders, Litast and Logem, have been found dead without signs of nearby violence or threat.  It must be from the pools of blood splattered and smeared all throughout Sandalswims.

Steel minecarts are filled with magma and workshops to use these are being setup near the surface. 

Veins of adamantine are also discovered in the cavern.  It is of great temptation to harvest these, but it shall come second to the project.

We still have a bridge to build.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 16, 2016, 03:57:33 pm »

o Well, sounds like you have some inspecting to do.

The default popcap is 220, iirc. Tad high if you want to preserve the FPS.

o Bridge will be shiny.

And green, I guess. Like the desert that is green from the vomit.

o Are you going to rule with soft heart and let Slotradin pilfer till ambushes come?

o You know, the dwarves o' worldgen build their great bridges through tunnels underground. Such great efforts, if only they were not so annoyingly hidden.

*gets an another idea*

*realizes there's some prereqs*

There are some things I must wait for, yet. But still, ehehehe.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2016, 12:52:45 pm »

Ch 8 Blood Cleaning & New Year

25 Sandstone, 45

The miners dig to expand the stairs and path in order to remove and reconstruct the blood spattered areas such as floors, walls, and hatch covers.

3 Timber, 45

Kids are being born in Sandalswims.

8 Moonstone, 45

Construct stairs where pools of blood is found also.

The magma forge and smelter is setup and ready to make gold bars.

The drop chute for the minecart emptied of marble blocks is dug. 

Aquifer leaks down the marble quarry again as rush to smooth the conglomerate walls and stop the flooding.

Gold bars smelting begins.

A furnace operator is assigned smelting ores.  Other labor managements are being assigned.

There is an ongoing debate on establishing a formal militia group versus unionized labor force for the bridge project.

12 Opal, 45

The portable magma drain stopped functioning.  Careless digging to clear magma around the portable drain results in Bim the legendary miner succumbing into her fiery death.

Spoiler: memorial for Bim (click to show/hide)

1 Obsidian, 45

Thob Dabblefurnace, a pump operator withdraws from society and claims a craftsdwarf workshop, and makes a tower-cap sceptre.

Spoiler: tower-cap sceptre (click to show/hide)

1 Granite, 45

Spring has arrived!  A new year, and Thob has been elected as mayor.

1 Granite, 46

Spring has arrived!

Thob Dabblefurnace has been elected as mayor.  She is 75, single and likes bucklers.
Thob requires certain rooms, and prohibits exports of bucklers.

The founder, Mayor Zasit Peltships says, "I'm fine" yet he felt self-pity after a lack of abstract thinking for too long.  He is now just Miner Zasit.

2 Felsite, 46

Our Village Sandalswims' population rises up to 77 as we have migrants arrive.

Litast Steelentered, an accomplished beekeeper, m 83 (art)
Dakost Claspedpeaks, an adequate engraver, m 62 (mw)
Ingiz Joinedwound, a competent appraiser, f 75 (fam)
Kogan Inkcraft, a high master papermaker, f 87 (mw)
Zulban Knightedlabors, a competent appraiser, f 93 (mw)
Momuz Gildstances, an adequate armorsmith, m 61 (skill)
Avuz Armorwire, a competent appraiser, m 104 (fam)
Tekkud Rootedwheeled, a high master milker, m 52 (skill)
Cilob Abbeyspear, a talented metalsmith, m 77 (fam)
Ast Lancersoar, a novice leatherworker, m 79
Rovod Orbsplan, a competent gem setter and cutter, m 104 (fam)
Olin Broadpanther, a talented mechanic, m 58 (skill)
Mafol Rockspeaks, an accomplished gem setter, m 73 (skill)
Tobul Insightsaxes, a peasant, f 88 (fam)
Xbow Bomrek Metalpure, a professional marksdwarf, f 32 (fam)
Xbow Zon Plaitcaves, an adequate marksdwarf, m 107 (mw)
Sword Iden Goldenrealms, a talented sworddwarf, m 90 (art)
Axe Uzol Insightsaxes, a talented axedwarf, m 84 (mw)

A layout of Sandalswims in Spring 46.

Spoiler: wagon house z99 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: wagon house z100 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: glass furnace z99 (click to show/hide)

4 Felsite, 46
A formal military group is being formed.  Equipment will have to be ordered using copper and silver.
Melting iron and steel from the caravan can provide better equipment for the legendary skilled soldiers.

The Beach Patrol - Hammer Squad
Zon Reasonpulley, “Captain Zon”, is legendary hammerdwarf, captain of the guard.
Onget Gripanvil is an adept hammerdwarf and adequate leather worker.  He is 69 years old.
Urdim Chapelshot, a novice hammerdwarf, f 62 (fam)

The Surf & Turf - Axe Squad
Cmdr Sakzul, a novice axedwarf, f 87
Axe Rigoth Focuschannels is a legendary axedwarf, f 26.
Axe Uzol Insightsaxes, a talented axedwarf, m 84 (mw)

The Silver Pools - Mace Squad
Captain Etur, legendary Mace, f 116
Mace Kubuk, legendary Mace, f 29
Mace Cilod Dipguilds - Legendary Mace, f 33
Mace Lokum Hallstill, talented macedwarf, m 92
Mace Besmar Tradegully, a talented macedraft, f 71 (mw)

The Sandy Spikes - Spear Squad
Spear Mistem Knifestill, a legendary speardwarf, f 30
Spear Bembul Ringwarmth, a legendary speardwarf, f 20
Spear Sigun Practiceroughness, a legendary speardwarf, m 20

The Sun Sandals - Sword Squad
Sword Iden Goldenrealms, a talented sworddwarf, m 90 (art)

The Bay Watchers - Xbow Squad
Captain Rith Wheeleddangle, great marksdwarf
Xbow Edem Numberstaff, is 25 years old and a great marksdwarf.
Xbow Nomal Bannerconfuse is an accomplished marksdwarf.  She is 24 years old.
Xbow Dumed Paddlemortal is a professional marksdwarf.  She is 24 years old wife to Sigun Practiceroughness.
Xbow Fikod Trailracks, an adequate sworddwarf, 94 male (skill).
Xbow Bomrek Metalpure, a professional marksdwarf, f 32 (fam)
Xbow Zon Plaitcaves, an adequate marksdwarf, m 107 (mw)

The Lazy Swim - Miners
Miner Etur, a legendary miner, m 151
Miner Erush Divedtrumpets, a legendary miner, m 21
Miner Astesh Carnalspears, a legendary miner, m 161
Miner Vucar Wordsvessel, a legendary miner, f 39
Miner Meng Buddedrocks, a legendary miner, m 34
Miner g66 Solar, a legendary miner, m 109
Miner Goden Lashedbranded, a legendary miner.  f 29
Miner Zasit, a master miner, m 56

16 Felsite, 46

Xbow Zon Plaitcaves is taken by a fey mood and claims a craftsdwarf workshop.
Creates Heldpillars, a tower-cap amulet.

Spoiler: tower-cap amulet (click to show/hide)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 18, 2016, 04:21:39 pm »

Yay kids. 45 already, huh.

Nice dynamic aquifer handling. How skilled are your engravers by now?

Formal military training might be largely unnecessary, given the Moonhome migrants being usually already highly trained - just needing equipment.

How did the drain stop functioning? Magma washing it off  the track stop? To prevent that, using track/ramp instead of stairs for access helps to move cart back to the stop.

Sucks to lose Bim. They were also legendary woodcrafter/fighter/shield user, child of `Woody-Omritznazir' Borushavuz, leaving behind 25 siblings, and had never mined a single square in their life before moving to Sandalswims. Well, at least hopefully their first mined square wasn't also their last.

Huh. Interesting, artifacts can display things from retired forts (never looked at the description any artifacts made in canon Moonhome, so if you looked at Kindbanners the artifact adamantine battle axe that was the first time it generated its' description).

Shame they were not more useful moods, but moods are hardly a priority here.

Decent crop of migrants, though no legendaries this time. 

Layout of Sandalswims is...twisting. I think I like the tentacly sea resort.

So that's the pattern you went for the bridge. Not entirely expected, but neat.

Hm, single target squads. I'd probably have mixed, because less chance of catastrophic failure.

Regarding mace vs miner, I recall some of them are legendary in both - I think their mining is better, but could check with utilities.

Granted, miners outnumber the macers, so  there's that against going with the highest skill.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:23:58 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2016, 07:18:59 pm »

Format military as in helping to ensure they will get are equippped and giving them custom profession for easier report reading later.

Sakzul, the founder is a novice axedwarf.  I'm hoping she trains faster. 

I only have 1 tile where magma falls, and it remained at 7/7 magma, despite a straight up chute of 3z worth of 7/7s .  There should be pressure from above, but it just did not drain anymore. 

I'm trying to see if I can bring gold bars up, but I think that pattern will let me build towards south faster without waiting for gold bars to be closer.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2016, 07:48:20 pm »

Ah, so that's what's with the custom military professions. Useful for overarching reports of many vs many or many vs 1. I've read a fair few "The Forgotten beast misses the Forgotten beast!"

Hm, you're actually giving them barracks instead of just being inactive squad in cases of hostilities? Didn't expect that.

I made Rigoth woodcutter/axewielder idly because I needed someone to use an axe and might as well make 1 axedwarf in fort (no other axedwarfs in moonhome), but they're not so great a teacher - checking the save, competent in it. Other skills might be best taught by one of the legendary teachers you may have.

(and, hm...Noticing some low skills in tracking on some dwarves, entirely through library. Unexpected - only check with the manipulator now.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:49:53 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35