Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 118394 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: Sanctume, builder of tropical paradises!
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2016, 11:50:44 pm »

Ch 9 Maintain Our Distance

3 Hemarite, 46

There are talks about lack of temples.  There are seven deities plus one more for no specific deity.

Mayor Thob opens the discussions among the population.

Oggez - Mountain, Earth, Caverns (21)
Arban - Jewels, Wealth, Trade, Fortress (16)
Vutram - Fertility, The Rains, Plants, Animals, The Moon (21)
Kekath - Thralldom, The Seasons (0)
Arel - Rivers, Death (18)
Madush - Food, Agriculture (25)
Bal - Song (29)

The “Gold Ramp”, a smaller spiral ramp is going to be dug.  Some careful planning is being looked into for the possible aquifer layer.

14 Hemarite, 46

The human caravan from Omon Bini arrived, and we got some iron items and anvils to melt.

26 Hematite, 46

More migrants arrive and our population rises to 78.

Athel Gemlocks, an accomplished weaponsmith, m 75 (fam)
Erith Earthcontrols, a proficient appraiser, f 82 (mw)
Monom Hoofarmos, an proficient  carpenter, m 67 (fam). 
He’s a single dad, with his only daughter Erush Tubesgold, f 8 (art)
Thikut Swordcolor, a competent appraiser, f 121 (art)
Spear Tulon Galleymiles, an adequate speardwarf and novice cook, m 59 (skill)
Ducim Autumnochre, a competent appraiser, f 78 (mw)

1 Malachite, 46

Cilob Abbeyspears has been elected as mayor.  He is 77 years old and likes battle axes and low boots.

9 Malachite, 46

The Gold Ramp is dug and the aquifer is breached and smoothed using a couple of manual screw pumps.  We are now laying the tracks and impulse ramps.  We also discovered more gold veins in z59, just one level above the current magma forge.

23 Malachite, 46

Dakost Combinedwhip, a glassmaker withdraws from society.
And claims a magma glass furnace, and works on two raw green glass.
A few days later, Dakost created a green glass portal which we will use in front of the farm house.

Spoiler: glass portal (click to show/hide)

11 Limestone, 46

Outpost liaison Ablel Nokimalath from Nanirasrathkogsak has arrived with the caravan.

Ablel says merit deserves a reward and he has come empowered to establish this colony as an official land of our realm, and asking if there is any dwarf to recommend for elevation.

Cilob says, “flattering, but we’d rather maintain our distance from the homeland.”

19 Limestone, 46

Migrants arrived, our town Sandalswims' population rises up to 93.

Kib Quakerims, legendary stone crafter
Reg Tradebloods, adequate butcher
Urist Whipcharm, adequate tanner
Nish Oardike, dabbling weaponsmith
Id Basementhailed, a high master glassmaker
Tekkud Portalmerged, talented glazer
Kogsak Reignedbolted, an adequate animal caretaker
Iden Releasedsilver, a compentent appraiser

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2016, 12:14:02 am »

° Hm, how did you count the worshippers? Manually, or...?

° I wonder if those migrants have any previous history. Maybe they're from Trueattics? It did have 171 dwarves in it last I checked.

Actually...What would happen if you reclaimed Trueattics, marked it as tavern/temple/library all open to visitors, then retired it? Would the "hostile" residents move in? I know that overlapping sites, too, can have changing population during retirement, but this sort of population explosion wasn't observed in other player fortresses.

° Hm. I was thinking earlier, and came to the conclusion: Since moods request raw glass, not components to make it, the visual advantage of more than 1 rock crystal on embark is more white portals. Otherwise, would have to rely on pearl opal jeweler mood to make one, with jeweler preferably liking doors.

Portals feel exotic :)

° Huh. Not interested in pleasing a baron, I take it? Just as well, as given no heads of the four families (nicknames joking profession-spouse) immigrated to your fortress any lines wouldn't last too long without deliberate breeding effort. 

But I wonder if it has any political significance? Sandalswims is both infinitely and least distant of the dwarven fortresses to the homeland.

° Oh hello, Kib. Heh, the guy was 8 when Moonhome was retired, and also a proficent swimmer - wonder if rust affected that? Probably not, given they're still Legendary.

And Nish too. Skills give 'em away :3

Guess you still get some migrants from Moonhome.

And another glassmaker, I guess. Useful :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:18:26 am by Fleeting Frames »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2016, 12:36:23 am »

When you designate a temple zone you get a display like this:

(No Specific)
Urist
Cacame
Tekkud

If you had Tekkud selected, at the bottom you would see:

3 worshippers
Sphere 1
Sphere 2
Sphere 3

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2016, 01:08:03 am »

Ah, I see. I always go for (No specific) XD

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2016, 02:14:08 pm »

So much for my marble + gold + green glass bridge.  It's just vomit green at this rate. 

Will pouring water make them clean?  Probably not, as it will just make them muddy constructed floor. 

Then I can maybe make the entire bridge strawberry fields instead!

My gold ramp failed with push to impulse ramps. 

I compared tower-cap minecart full of marble clocks weight 16, while tower-cap minecart 90% full of gold bars weight around 115.

The impulse ramp failed to climb up after 3z.  Is this that rocking horse effect?

I don't have dfhack, so I do not know what the speed of the minecart on each tile.

None of my starting 7 hook up to make a family.  The kids born are from migrants.  So, I did not want to spend time reading more details on whom might be a good baron, so I ignore it for now.

p.s. Oh, i left a mason shop making rock tables on repeat.  I dunno what to do with these excess tables.  Maybe make them ammo to some sort of minecart shotgun?  Or just sprinkle rock tables in the spiral--with matching chairs!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:20:00 pm by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 22, 2016, 02:47:58 am »

It's outside, so rain should clean it. Alternatively, mass-building and ripping of roads is possible with the bridge being made of blocks. Can take a while, but each road ties up only 1 dwarf at time for construction period.

Myself, I also used clean map command few times (patchwork fruitfall sure changed grassland look), but I had no syndromes to contend with (I still feel pity for the turtle with poison fog, so many military dwarves to fart at yet dying too fast to even do it once.)

Ran with dfhack alpha 1, but there's alpha 3 now out, if you need dfhack for it.

As for strawberry fields, not sure how that works in adventure mode - will the berries be still there if you come to pick them up later?

Though I don't think you can grow those on bridge anyway, ocean biome doesn't support strawberries. Unless your desert airshears into the bridge.

Alright, time for detailing the functioning of east-west track/ramp WITH a wall to east or west (not to be confused with just east or east/north track/ramp!):

° In game internal, a tile is divided to 100k sub-tiles, in each direction, so I'll be using speeds as number of sub-tiles traversed.

1) Acceleration and it's second integral:

° On every flat track step, a cart first pays the friction, then moves. If this would take it past 100k/tile border, it also checks for collisions (if one happens, cart stops at the edge of tile).

° When traveling east/west on east/west track/ramp with wall to east or west the cart is first is accelerated by 4900 by ramp towards the non-wall direction of the ramp, then pays the friction, and then travels trunc(speed*0,70707) sub-tiles.

° Friction is usually 10, but can be up to 50/500/10000/50000 with track stops, and going or skipping through/over water will also incur a friction cost - from testing of partially and fully submerged minecarts on ramps and floor of various slants, rolling through water is 100*(waterlevel-1). After paying the friction but before moving, if the tile is 7/7 full, then minecart speed is reduced to 10000 or by 10000, whichever end result has greater speed - this functions the same way as the "270k speed limit". 

Untracked floor behaves little differently from tracked one in that it provokes jumps with holes after it, but otherwise is just 200 friction.

Well, with just this, #▲▲# would have cart endlessly bounce without ever exiting, instead of traveling out like it does. So:

2) Forced traversal, checkpoint teleportation:

Whenever a cart passes over the ramp, it follows whatever track options are available, no matter the speed.

Whenever a cart leaves a ramp for a tile that is not ramp accelerating in the same direction, it teleports to the far border of that tile and gets one step of acceleration in the opposite direction of the ramp it just left.

This is what's behind "rocking horse" effect - cart gets up to ~35k speed on one ramp, pays 5k to leave it and checkpoints to the end of the next ramp (making exiting easy and also a checkpoint).

° In practice, this means that a cart's speed barely changes (just by friction) if it only spends 1 step on ramp.

° Almost as awesomely, it also means that you don't generally need to worry much about sub-tile positions when stringing together elements from different design - it'll be reset every time a cart exits a ramp, allowing for standardization.

° Briefly worth mentioning is that due this corner ramps result in speed loss and slight sideways drift when traversed in either direction.

° If a cart instead collides with another cart, the single-step counter-acceleration is not applied to either cart.

3) Checkpoint ....checking in point - to go with entering ramps, when previous one was about exiting ramps:

Every 100k traversed typically signifies tile border, but whenever a minecart moves inside a single ramp every 100k*0,70707 tiles - or per every 100k speed - is also "stop and drop your remaining distance", even if the speed is greater, with similar mirror of it done with next ramp and 200k speed and so on.

As it doesn't affect cart leaving the ramp, only entering it, long lines of single-direction ramps tend to get pattern of "one, two, skip tile".

° Unfortunately, this has no known useful applications - slowing down carts while accelerating them isn't that useful, anyway.

° Heck, it doesn't even show up usually, only affecting carts moving faster than 1 tile/step.

Those minecart weights can't be right. An empty tower-cap minecart weights 24 urists. Riding can bug cart weights, but only upwards. 

Don't really need dfhack to track positions, unless you're double-checking low-scale options - just have to know what your tiles do. Larix did his minecart research without either at start, by just running the numbers and experiments.

For the above section, I did use it (because why not) to check wiki numbers on submerged minecarts, though certainly the experiments could be done without it. I certainly confirmed the only difference from wiki - full submersion applying speed limit, not quite friction - without it, by just single-stepping 142 times with cart moving through 10 submerged ramps in that time (start position at the near edge of tile).

Now, I don't know what you have setup, but I guess it is something like this:

z 0 0 012 3 . . .
T =▲▲▲▲▲. . .

With first westmost ramp being NE and others being EW, like this: = = = = . . .

The checkpoint negates first opposing ramp:     = = = . . .

The speed granted by the first pushing ramp is equal or smaller than the last ramp opposing it. Lets remove both:
= = . . .

Dwarven push (20k) versus opposing ramp (5k per step)? Easy to figure the cart will be sent back.
Wiki's "impulse elevator" uses checkpoint to skip this most of the time - if you look at my magma elevators, I like to use altering NSW and EW on every z, easy to designate and just have to stick to borders of embark tiles. There are certainly other possibilities, like maybe with corner ramp elevator + flat floor and impulse ramp every...5 z levels or so? to bring the cart back up to speed.

(Yeah, I didn't apply floor friction or exactly 4900 on those calcs, but when you're dealing with whole tiles this is close enough.)

Ah well about the family.

Hm, I guess you can make some tables into traction benches,  then build them around still or into the tavern.

Alternatively, library needs tables.

Alternatively, perimeter distraction - I used hundreds of floodgates for this purpose.

Alternatively, building destroyer traps.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:59:42 am by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 23, 2016, 01:04:11 pm »

Ch 10 A Bridge of Temples

Limestone, 46

Did you think I neglected you dear reader?  Let me assure you I did not.  There is no excuse really, other than many citizens are busy in the labor demands of Sandalswims and are conflicted with the need for merry making in this tropical paradise.

On the 19th, we dropped six empty steel minecarts again down the chute to be filled with magma.  Having two more magma smelters and a magma forge prepares for the expansion of armory supplies.  If weapon grade materials are discovered.

A forgotten beast has come!  Gulsheb is a towering viper with external ribs and thin wings.  Its copper scales are round and overlapping.  We must beware of its poisonous bite.  Since Gulsheb shows up outside the third cavern, the raised bridge of The Woodshop will keep us safe until we have more need for logs.

Spoiler: FB Gulsheb (click to show/hide)

22 Limestone, 46

More housing units are completed above glass workshops on z 100 and z 101.  The architecture is luxuriously made of marble pillars and floors, with marble door, coffer and cabinet.  And our supply of tower-cap bed are now exhausted.

This housing unit was modest in design at first.  The first idea was to put a few housing above the glass furnace.  Then we might as well add a third floor with more bedroom units.

But then, the ocean wave threaten to obsidianize the magma pit for the glass furnaces, so walls were erected.  One wall was not enough for the incessant ocean spray.  A second wall was added, then a third wall seems to stem that ocean nuisance.

With these extra walls, it was then decided to add more housing atop these wave breaker walls.

7 Sandstone, 46

The minecart loaded with gold bars is pushed and manage to climb up only three levels.  The solution is then to add more impulse ramps on each level. 

3 Timber, 46

With enough impulse ramps, gold bar-filled minecart successfully unloads its heavy laden and return down to the marble quarry.  After which, a hauler picked the empty tower-cap minecart and carries it down the stairs to the magma forges.  It’s good enough.

23 Timber, 46

We finally hauled 6 more steel minecart filled with magma, and promptly made two more magma smelters, and one magma forge.  We soon melted our supply of tetrahedrite and malachite and gold.  The armory is mostly made of copper armors and weapons, and some silver weapon. 

We also start melting steel and iron anvils, and miscellaneous iron pieces from the human caravan.  The dwarven caravan has no iron, but have some choice steel items.

Spoiler: magma forges (click to show/hide)

/ooc Once again, I failed to gif capture loading of gold bars into minecarts and dumping to surface.

The last gold ores we discovered have been smelted, and the bars are loaded to the minecart and sent up the surface, this one last time until more raw materials are discovered. 

1 Moonstone, 46

Winter arrives, and Monom Hoofarmors, a leather worker is taken by a mood. He claims a leather work, took some leather and items and made a left leather glove.

We are not actively doing any exploratory mining as our efforts are towards the bridge project, and the side project of a great garrison (barrack) that has started a few seasons ago.

We also decided to start building the temples. These eight temples will be connected to the side of the bridge, over the ocean. Each will have multiple levels: the bridge level, the above the bridge, the roof, and small gold sky platform.

27 Granite, 47

A new year and season has come without fanfare until more migrants arrive.

Imush Soldships, a master thresher, f 77
Rovod Spearboards, a competent fisherdawarf, m 51
Mafol Constructmirrors, a competent appraiser, f 90
Zasit Archprison, a talented soaper, f 89
Olin Paintsoasked, a novice glazer, f 81
Ezum Meetpicks, a competent appraiser, f 114
Monom Wheelshocked, a competent metal crafter, m 57
Kel Fountainbones, a proficient appraiser, f 82
Lokum Cloistereddimpled, a high master animal dissector, m 63
Sword Olon Pagedbrown, a novice swordsdwarf, m 67
Sodel Torchhames, a competent appraiser, f 87
Hammer Solon Lushtraded, a novice hammerdwarf, f 88
Morul Pickduty, an adequate metalsmith, f 101
Spear Obok Martyredgates, a novice speardwarf, f 69
Dakost Heldcastle, a competent appraiser, m 78
Spear Erith Palacedips, novice speardwarf, m 63
Edzul Puzzledaggers, a novice bone doctor, m 69
Spear Ilral Laborrose, a novice speardwarf, f 111

The town Sandalswims' population rises to 111.

27 Slate, 47

The construction of the temples along the bridges are progressing.  The first two are for non-specific deity, and Oggez.

The bridge project is almost on the other side.  The 4 magma glass smelters producing green glass seems to be the bottleneck in the supply chain.  But this rate is acceptable since the temples are using marble blocks.

Speaking of marble, in the first level of the marble quarry, all marble veins have been mined.  There are two modest tracks to help haul marble stones closer to the mason’s shop.  But for the most part, five mason’s shop have plenty of stone haulers filling the QSP marble stones still.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 24, 2016, 06:36:41 am »

You'll have to kill Gulsheb eventually, probably, provided it doesn't get killed by something nastier.

It's not very nasty, after all. Any fully trained military migrant should be able to handle them with just a weapon.

The outpost  keeps growing, in a way little reminscent of worldgen - though, no danger of getting lost in your forts.

I recall expanding walls, myself, before getting rid of the spray. Moving things around would have ruined attempting to mine transported goods inside, though it'd have been a way to move hundreds of embark-brought items quickly.

I bet more than  half your levels for gold ramp  are checkpointed through, not pushed :p

Hm, doesn't that tileset make you want to use double-thick wall ends or something to avoid the jarring O pillars?

Admittedly, twbt: can live without it.

Sounds like gifs are finicky things.

Do you use much leather, anyway?

Temples...How about a small symbol for Vutram Guthstakdusak? That female dwarf deity of nightmares, night, moon, animals, plants, rain and fertility was the casus belli for Moonhome and the patron saint of old king, after all, with all themes but rain more or less strongly present.

I imagine the population is starting to bite pretty strongly into FPS - I imagine it is below 100 by now, right?

Hm, few of the new wave seem useful for the bridge. Haulers are only so great with the 7-wide building area. 

But more importantly, where do they come from? If it's from void, then dwarven population should increase, otherwise it should stay constant.

Merchants, maybe. Lots of appraisers.

Though a moot point with the bridge almost complete.

So, hm, how much to do between finishing the bridge and retiring?

Ah, but I suppose that's hard to answer without spoilers.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 26, 2016, 02:55:23 am »

Just got home from a marathon of festivities.  Going to sleep it off, then I have vacation until Thursday.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2016, 04:19:00 am »

Yay. Festivities on my part as well.
It's okay, everyone is busy irl at the moment. :P
Stomachs are busy.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2016, 11:32:43 am »

I have some play times on this.  The bridge is actually over the beach to the south continent, it is just not touching it yet and z+1 above the sand.  There is a sand dune on the southern most portion which will complete the connection of the continents. 

But before I do that, I want to complete 8 3-z high temples, and at least 1 tavern, and 1 library.

I had 1 crash, lost about 2 hours of play times: something about "Nemesis unit."

Other than that, I have plenty of green glass blocks and gold bars.  The marble blocks are the bottle neck to construction.  Tweaking my marble stone track hauler again because 1 stopped working.  I should get plenty of play times tonight with an update.

Maybe just feature the few completed temple.

p.s. So on the roof of the temple, I added gold pillars and ramp.  On this 1x1 or 1x3 area with a statue, I also included a meeting area as part of the temple.  Some dwarfs like to be up there instead of the large rooms the other 3 levels provide.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2016, 04:22:29 pm »

Uh oh.

Doesn't Nemesis unit failure usually herald save corruption?

That's ...worrying. Not sure if backups can trivialize it with no gameplay lost, or not.

Dwarves get into weird places at times, yeah.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 30, 2016, 10:59:31 am »

I played and saved at least 3 times, and reloaded to continue without any errors, so that's good.

I am playing vanilla except for the Phoebus tileset, so I do not know my FPS at the moment. 

There were a few fb showing up in the cavern, and one is made of flame that has been spamming "something collapse"--probably burning trees.

I gave up on my marble stone hauling tracks, and started on the 2nd level marble quarry below the first.

7 of 8 temples are almost built, 1 more temple, a library and a tavern should somewhat finish my goals on the bridge. 

I am waiting the last moment to finish the bridge to officially touch the south continent. 

I have images uploaded to imgur, but I can't preview from work, so I'll have to do the update when I get home tonight.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 30, 2016, 11:39:17 am »

Ch 11 A Bridge of More Temples

27 Slate, 47

We are in a frenzy to continue building more temples along the bridge project.  The marble blocks is the bottleneck in the materials logistics.

11 Felsite, 47

Nish Oardike, a dabbling weaponsmith is taken by a fey mood and claims a magma forge.
He likes copper and gauntlets, but he ends up creating a copper crossbow, “Stoplakes the Price of Lulling.”

Spoiler: copper crossbow (click to show/hide)

14 Felsite, 47

The forgotten beast Bothon has come, an enormous three-eyed ankylosaurid.  It has a large mandible and it squirms and fidgets.  Its auburn scales are jagged and set far apart.  Beware its deadly blood.  It shows up in the cavern outside, so we will ignore Bothol.

Spoiler: fb Bothol (click to show/hide)

2 Hematite, 47

Summer arrives and Slotradin, the kobold thief has come sneaking and has been discovered and flees once again.

Our attempt to entice Slotradin to visit the memorial of its parents is not working.  We even left the tower-cap enormous corkscrews in a stockpile as bait, with a chained dog to serve as an alarm.  But perhaps Slotradin aims to steal something more valuable.

Spoiler: Slotradin kobold thief (click to show/hide)

5 Hematite, 47

We exhausted the marble blocks in the constructions.  We have about 50 more marble stones left to be made into blocks in the marble quarry.
We captured this marble stone haul track delivery that will soon be abandoned as we will start digging the next level marble quarry.

12 Hematite, 47

A human caravan from Omon Bini arrives.  They are a good source of food variety and iron.

17 Hematite, 47

Cilob has been re-elected as mayor of the City Sansalswims.

The Temple of Sandals is a non-specific temple in Sandalswims.

The Earthen Cathedral of Caverns is dedicated to Oggez, the deity of Mountains, Earth and Caverns

The Sanctuary of Wealth is for the worshippers of Arban Rampartgravel, deity of Jewels, Wealth, Trade, and Fortresses.

The Wet Shrine of Seasons is dedicated to Kekath Drinkferns, the deity of Thralldom and The Season.

A more fancy temple is being built by the migrants of Moonhome, and dedicated to Vutram Spurtmite, the deity of Fertility, The Rain, Plants, Animals, The Moon.

13 Malachite, 47

We channeled down to the next marble quarry level near the track to make use ot if some more. 

There was a commotion when Hammer Solon dealt dwarven justice upon Morul for violating a production order of Mayor Cilob.  Morul is badly injured and shaken, while Hammer Solon feels zealous after the beating.

Spoiler: dwarven justice (click to show/hide)

Morul the trader has been found dead while the marble stone haulers pass by the narrow hallway.

DF Crash “Nemesis Unit”
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

21 Malachite, 47

More migrants arrived.
Avuz Letterspeaks, a high master weaponsmith, m 86.
Solon Blockedslapped, a competent, f 63.
Stukos Crafteddistance, an accomplished siege engineer, m 70.
Onul Staffwet, a competent, m 99.
Urdim Tinbreaths, a talented leather worker, f 78.
Kol Manorlabors, novice trapper, f 82.

The City of Sandaswims’ population rises to 116.

10 Galena, 47

Mafol is taken by a mood and claims a jeweler’s shop.  He picks up one rough gem and cut it to a perfect gem.

Spoiler: perfect gem (click to show/hide)

The tracks of the marble stone hauling is suspended because a dwarf child, Momuz, is playing with his bronze toy boat on the path of the track ramp. 

Spoiler: dwarf on tracks (click to show/hide)

3 Limestone, 47

Slotrading, the kobold thief, comes sneaking around again, and then flees.  We started building more walls on the western edge of the city, so that Slotradin will not be so quick to be seen and flee.  We want to capture it down the lockable dungeon tower.

Spoiler: kobold thief (click to show/hide)

11 Limestone, 47

Fixing hauling tracks causes 2 minecarts go on an endless loop.  The solution to stop is is to send more minecarts so that a collision will make them all stop.

16 Limestone, 47

A caravan from Nanirasrathkogsack arrives.

We are asked again by liaison Ablel Noki if we want to elevate our city into a barony.  Mayor Cilob declined until further internal debate on who will be the best candidate for baron.

24 Limestone, 47

An idea to dig tombs around the warm magma pits of the forge.  We dig these halls and rooms, and the design was somewhat abandoned when the miners struck more native gold veins.

11 Sandstone, 47

The forgotten beast Cequova has come in the cavern.  It’s a great hairy lobster.  Beware its webs!

Spoiler: fb hairy lobster (click to show/hide)

15 Sandstone, 47

Some migrants arrived.

Iden Boltclasped, a talented weaponsmith, f 61.
Iton Bridgehelms, a competent appraiser, f 76.
Aban Lensblunt, an accomplished surgeon, f 59.
Stakud Bookswam, a competent appraiser, f 103.
Bim Earthfires, a proficient cheesemaker, m 77.
Fath Veiledbanner, a competent appraiser, m 88.

The City of Sandalswims’ population rises up to 123.

12 Timber, 47

A section of the cavern has collapsed in an unexplored area of z+9.

24 Timber, 47

The forgotten beast Tob has come in the cavern.  It’s a humanoid composed of flame.  It has wings and has a bloated body.  So this must be the cause of the many collapse warnings.  How annoying!

Spoiler: fb humanoid flame (click to show/hide)

11 Moonstone, 47

Aban Lensblunt, an accomplished surgeon has been possessed!
She ends up making a tower-cap crown.

Spoiler: tower cap crown (click to show/hide)

24 Moonstone, 47

It’s early winter yet, and three more temple buildings are almost complete. 

One temple, one library, and one tavern is the next construction project along the bridge. 

The bridge project itself is almost complete.  We are building 1 level above the sand of the southern continent.  We are a few blocks away from connecting to the south-most sand dunes. 

And before we forget, we started laying down green glass blocks on the north portion of the bridge also.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:09:24 pm by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 30, 2016, 05:57:57 pm »

̛ Well, good thing copper gauntlets aren't weapons!

'tis one of the factors for dividing up mood in x skills among migrants for me :3

̛ lol@the delivery of Bothon.

Hm..not sure. Aren't FB all pretty similar size?

Haven't cage-trapped enough of them to be sure.

And won't get to compare properly, with Cequova about to kill them.

As for Tob, heh. I've seen these sorts of mysterious collapses with most thin  and submerged cavern 3 before, somehow.

̛ Depressing memorials look like white sand dunes/traps.

Slotradin...looks towards tomorrow? I dunno.

I think they'd get a happy thought seeing those up close, at least.

I wonder what will Slotradin do, when you retire the fort with them on site?

̛ Cute marble track.

I'd probably have it made go fast&furious, though that wouldn't get the nice gif. Also would have required sealing....Momuz is lucky to be alive.

Still, for future reference, could return on same track that you sent out and move at 1 tile/step on most tiles by alternating checkpoints of pretty much any direction with wall+track ramp at end to make it return to start (or by making the track stop tile corner and use diagonal movement to make cart 180° on that tile, but that is finicky to get right).

For just bidirectional speed boosts with mostly flat track, EW ramp pits /NSE+NSW ramp passthroughs with walls to north and south for both will work. 

̛ Temple of Sandals...Heh. RNG, or brute-force?

And heh. I didn't expect more than few floor tiles, really ^^;;

̛ Aaaah dwarven justice. I'm glad to have avoided it, for the missed mandates would...have given a nice  vacation from vacation with the kickass jail.

However, I now realize - squad for captain of the guard is quite beneficial for retiring adventurers from forts or starting them in those. Shucks about that ^^;;

̛ Nemesis unit crash image is missing.

̛ Interesting, does the game think you desire weaponsmiths?

Not impossible.

As for the second wave of migrants, I wonder if the surgeon would leave the site again when made into a scholar.

̛ That's terrible name for a gem >_>

The crown is much better.

̛ I had gold on site, myself. Never dug it out, relying on caravans to bring what I needed. That's nice about multi-year forts; what's present on-site is less important ^^.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35