Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 121775 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Yes !
Got the save !
New year eve things are done and it will be great to play.

I'll start by tomorrow night. (in ~36 hours)
I have an idea for an adventurer.
Depending on how fast I'll get things done, I'll be able to post things daily from friday on.

Heppy new year everyone ;)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

You too.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile

Is it alrighty if I join in your little Succession?
You're in!
Actually nevermind
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile

I think I will claim a turn now. Not sure what will come of it but who can tell till it happens?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Prologue
Written by Kadok TwistedMind

First of all, I want to point out that the choices I made during my expedition across the World of Enchantments were dictated only by reason and good sense.
I consider myself a smart dwarf, and even though - at the moment I'm writting - my sanity could be questionned, I swear I kept a clear mind during my journey.

It all started after our outpost received a message - written on a piece of pig tail - that was outdated by several decades. The paper showed some severe wear.
Where was the message written ? MoonHome ? I didn't even know where that was. That had to be why it took so long to arrive to us.

The paper's content was distrubing.
Here's the message's content. I read it so many times it's glued into my now irrational mind, I could never forget it :

Dwarves, we need to act

Written by Spriggans - Keeper of Secrets
Year 32

My brethren, we must be strong.

The Rhyming-Occult Palissade is at the verge of Oblivion. Our continental outposts have been destroyed. The Northern Goblins are everywhere. They are possessed by evil intents.
We survived in our retreat fortress at MoonHome, where I'm at. But I can't stand dying on this Island. We must do something. That's why I write you. I have an idea.

I gathered knowledge all my life. But I'm weak. I'm getting old. I can't risk dying and loosing all my knowledge. I need you.
Here's the thing. In the frozen North, tales best left untold relate of a fortress KingdomsSabre. What I believe is a Goblin spy ruled there. That ruler is called Litast Borering. Find him ! Get him to talk ! He is the key to everything !
For your recall, KingdomsSabre was destroyed by malicious forces that are hard to conceive. Litast Borering will know. Make him speak at all costs, and follow his directions until you find the Truth !

I know this might sound hard to believe. I know you probably won't risk your peaceful life on behalf of an old dwarf like me. But something must be done.
Find the traitor ! He is the path to Goblins' weakness !

Long live dwarven-kind !

Spriggans - Keeper of Secrets

I read the words several times. The sentences echoed in my brain.
I was the outpost's only best warrior. I was strong. I could take on the task.
I could save the Rhyming-Occult Palissade from disappearance.

I would leave by this week, after my things were packed.
I would head for KingdomSabre.

OOC : Playing this night when back from work.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:12:12 am by Spriggans »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

I looked at the bridge.
I love it.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Ah - I shall repeat, just in case: mind you, if you actually start in Moonhome, there's the tiny snag of no landing platform for the minecart airway - I didn't have time to do that one and only left instructions on how to build one. Decades-old parchment indeed!

Hm, that date...Maybe that's how the pig tail parchment originally escaped it?

Now, you could think that even without a landing platform, a minecart could skid on the water a fair bit - and you would be right! However, when it skids on water, it gives a nasty bump to drop the dwarf - likely not fatal, perhaps unlike the ocean waves it lowers them in.
At least in fortress mode. I know adventure mode players can interact with minecarts in multiple unusual ways, such as pushing it while inside.

Of course, the fortress does still contain all manner of artifact adamantine, steel and gold gear, to be used by a daring adventurer, and while I didn't establish a fortress guard most adults in place have combat skills honed for decades, were you to impress those who keep a pet hydra enough.

But I digress - I don't believe your adventurer would need those things. Litast is surely to be friendly, right?

As for new Kingdomsabre, perhaps he is there? I somehow doubt it, but it could be a clue nevertheless.

PS: Hm, yeah, organics do wear out over 200 years. I wonder if that time will pass while site is retired? I wonder if built bed wearing out will segfault the came? There's plenty to investigate mechanic-wise in this world yet still.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooh, adventure mode sounds fun. 

I tried it last night with Adela Dunkenclash, a black bear woman.  It took a few minutes to figure out how to climb down a tree. 
Then I found ravens to wrestle with, and somehow Adela is mortally wounded, lol.  So much for my dancing bear adventurer.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile

Mortal Wounds aren't too bad. Really, they're just a flesh wound.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: The journey of Kadok TwistedMind
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2017, 03:51:07 pm »

The long route North
Written by Kadok TwistedMind - Summer 48

Spoiler: Character stats (click to show/hide)

I remember that I quickly packed my things. I anticipated the journey ahead to be quite long, and so, I brought many supplies. Most importantly, as the weather would be quite rough and cold in the frozen North - even though it it Summer - I fattened my bag with many barrels of booze, a non-freezing liquor, that would proove priceless in both keeping me quenched and my moral high.

I wrote a map of my expected path to KingdomSabre. It would be a week long journey. At best.
Spoiler: The plan (click to show/hide)

I would leave from here, HallFlanks. None of the dwarves here share Spriggans' optimism, so I will leave alone.
I would cross the forgotten jungles nearby, and reach PlainMannor - a fortress abandonned 40 years ago - hopefully finding things there.
Then I would head North until I reached the base of the Dabbling Horn, which I would climb to its top.
From there, I would be able to see KingdomSabre, go there, and the long route would be done.

I decided to leave at dawn. Quickly. As anticipating the road ahead made me sometimes wish to give up.
I kept Spriggans' letter in my backpack, in case I would forget its content... Or doubt the purpose of my quest.

The first days of my journey I spent in the Perfect Jungles. A dense region full of nasty creatures.
I consider myself very lucky to have made my way through. At night, I heard beasts breathing in the dark, waiting for my vigilance to fade out.
I got attacked several times. But each time, my warrior's training saved my life. One night, a cougar jumped on me. My axe quickly silenced him.

But I needed support. I was in hope to find some sturdy companions in PlainMannor soon.

After two days of wandering the oppressing jungle, I reached the outpost of PlainMannor.
This is at this point that, I believe, my mind started deteriorating.
The oupost was located in a basaltic sand hill near some black mountains. It had been officially abandonned for more than 40 years, so I anticipated some decadence there. But I was far from the truth.

Laying on the ground were the founders of this outpost. Seven dead dwarves were there. Some had their skeleton turned white, polished by the wind, and scattered with their long dead pets' body parts. The dead's blood soaked the soil, pitching the basaltic sand dark red.

At this point, I almost lost consciousness, as I saw three of the supposed dead dwarves moving and emmiting sounds, as if they were trying to talk to me.
Their bodies were mangled beyond recognition. One of them could not even walk, and the others had gruesome wounds.

I guess my brain decided to erase the memory of the conversation I had with these daft dwarves.
That was too frightening. I can't make up the details.
The only things I can recall is that they told me they survived the goblinic attacks by imitating their dead brethren.
These dwarves were dim witted. And I really mean it. They used a language that was hard to understand, and thought of me as a God.
I seized this opportunity. I told the two strongest retarded to follow me on a quest. They agreed loudly. I left the crippled behind, he would have been too burdensome.

Even now, I have chills down my spine trying to picture these dwarves who acted as deads for 40 years long. Laying on bare sand doing nothing while their mind wittered.
The good point is that I now have two companions with me, to keep the beasts at bay when the night is the darkest.

I resumed my journey with my inconceivable followers. As stupid as they were, they played their role, and provided safe shelter during the nights against whatever creatures would lurk.
In a handful of days, I arrived at the feet of the mountain.

Behind these high rocks, would stand KingdomSabre.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:29:26 pm by Spriggans »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

When I founded plainmonor, I just set up the pkace to go, not actually doing much at all. They mustnt've survived for much longer.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Hm. Does adventure mode not let you pick most civilian skills at start?

Ditching Recuperation, with fast travel healing...Hm. No idea how impactful it is, expect not very. 

Dumping intuition but not memory surprises me as well, for the first plays a role in the combat-focused char while second...Does what? I'll see, I guess.

That's pretty substantial inventory, though somehow I didn't expect that path. Straight over mountains, hm?

I wonder - can you fast travel through player fortresses? I so, one that splits the mountain range might be beneficial. Even one that is just high speed railway could be neat, though less useful.

And ah...That town is still in ruins :(

The Plainmanor proper looks eerie. I usually love the black sand desert the most, especially in serene areas - but this, even though it's also sort of close to starry skies, feels ominous. More like tv losing signal than that.

Ooh, that river start + word map combination? Unique. Well, that's not to say that bay12's image background is possible now, but I guess it removes at least one artifact in it.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Memory trait is usefull for "big" places, like dwarven fortresses or human dungeons.
The more memory, the more squares are remembered. So you don't get lost.
As for recuperation, I find it useless in adv. Either you get hit and die, either you don't get hit. And if you get hit an survive, most of the time, sleeping one day will heal everything. Exept infections. But they take months to kill in adv. mode (basically forever).

And nope, you can't fast travel in fortresses.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile

I'm in, saying it now. My body is ready, And The screenshot quality won't be the best, but BY GOD I am ready.

Joinin this sucsession
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35