Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This is permanantly locked for some reason, so I'll probably use it for something else at some point.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Maybe
- 0 (0%)
Piss
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 14, 2016, 05:17:07 pm

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35

Author Topic: Succession world: df 2017 : A new start  (Read 121361 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Succession world: df 0.43.05: Pleeeease... Plaaayers...
« Reply #405 on: April 03, 2017, 04:29:17 am »

Yes, he did. Apparently the place is still cursed by my incompetence and bad fiction.
One wheel short of a wagon

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2017, 04:58:54 am »

I went to KingdomSabre as Kadok (adventurer), and yep ! The place is messy !

Have Fun ! ;)
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:39 am »

This world is mow struggling back to life. Let it continue.
I love the update!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ImTheBaws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 03, 2017, 12:35:00 pm »

Back to KingdomSabre again?
May their efforts lift the curse in the area.
Good luck :D

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 03, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »

turn pls
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 03, 2017, 07:01:26 pm »

Just a short update today, because I'm feeling pretty well under the weather. Let me know if I messed up the images again.

Excerpts from the journal of Moldath Primeearths, Acting Expedition Leader of Kingdomssabre

23 Galena, 50
Will we never have any peace! We heard one of the horses making a commotion down the hill, and the screaming of yet another madman. I am not one for military strategy, so I had everyone muster at the gate so we could take him all at once. We met him and were able to overwhelm him, but Vabok didn't survive the fight, ambushed by the reanimated head of a cat after dispatching the macedwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He gave his life honorably for the mountainhome, and knew the risk when he volunteered, but we cannot afford to continue taking these kinds of losses. I pray the promised reinforcements arrive soon.

4 Limestone, 50
Urvad, still stuck in her bed, told me something very interesting today. The walls of her room, she said, had very faint etchings all over them. Much too shallow to identify, but plainly present upon careful study. An inspection of the rest of the fortress reveals that the etchings are present all over the walls of the inside of the fortress, and one or two spots on the floor. I will have to see about acquiring some paper and charcoal from the supply wagon so I can trace the etchings - they may very well hold the key to understanding the demise of this fortress and the the state of the dwarves we've encountered here. They may simply be meaningless rambling, or all that remains of some banal engravings weathered to near-invisibility, but what if their madness is of a less natural sort? I confess some trepidation, though I would never voice it aloud.

12 Limestone, 50
The others came to me all together today to complain about using the ruins themselves for shelter. The news of the etchings has them spooked even more than before, and they claim that to continue to live inside is to invide madness onto themselves. Their complaints are founded in superstition,  hardly worth considering, but they are right that being lived in again could easily disturb any relics, especially the etchings in the floor, and its situation on the glacier is dangerous. I've drawn up plans with As for a new shelter built in the Jungles of Stabbing.

The supply wagon also chose today to arrive. We unloaded some salvage in exchange for food and drink, and I got a stack of paper and a piece of charcoal to make my tracings. The construction of our new shelter takes a higher priority though, and As would never get it done by himself, so I will need to wait at least a few days before I can begin copying in earnest. I also enquired with the caravaneer about identifying the bodies, but other than confirming that they all come from the Rhyming-Occult Palisade he had nothing to say on the subject. I'm not certain if it's better to bury them as soon as possible, or to leave them unburied and at risk for reanimation until their bodies can be identified and sent home, or at least be interred with a name on their coffin. I will have to consult with the others.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:04:14 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 04, 2017, 01:41:51 am »

@Baffler : If you have a migrant who's old enough (100+ maybe, the more the better), may you dwarf him as "Spriggans - Keeper of Secrets" ? It's about time my character comes to life !

Give him a library, or a book-keeper / manager job.
You know, don't assign him mason, hauler, miner... Nothing to dangerous / physically hard, since he is so old and weak ^^

And I'd say : Burn the dead bodys ! They deserve it, they were bad dwarves !
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:44:19 am by Spriggans »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 05, 2017, 09:47:51 pm »

Sorry about not updating yesterday. I actually did have an update written, but the game crashed and I lost that day's progress. I figured it'd be best to just not post it rather than post and immediately retcon, though in retrospect I really ought to have said something in-thread at the time. Anyway today brought nearly too much fun to handle, and considering how regularly that seems to be happening (even the reverted update had almost everyone die to a random herd of zombie deer, heh) I'm honestly concerned that this fort's going to be dead before it can establish itself well enough for long term survival, especially with winter coming up. We'll see how it goes!

@Spriggans: Yeah, sure. Nobody appropriate came around this time, but I'll keep it in mind.

Excerpts from the Journal of Moldath Primeearths, Acting Expedition Leader of Kingdomssabre

3 Sandstone, 50
A busy day today. I cleared Erush to get back to duty. He seemed happy to get back on his feet, though he's probably going to be slightly favoring that arm for a while yet. That just leaves Urvad still injured. I'm starting to worry about her, her recovery is going very slowly and we don't have an adequate source of water. If her condition doesn't improve soon we're going to have to start digging exploratory shafts to find some in the caverns. We also spotted a ghost flying around above the valley, one Urist Fickerurns. I've heard they can sometimes be dangerous, but this one didn't do much more than yell about his past life and spook the yaks pulling one of the merchant's wagons.

They ran off and spilled the wagons' contents all over the ground. The merchants say they don't have the space to carry it all back, so I guess it's ours now. It's mostly useless, but there are some caged animals and metal crafts we can make use of. We also got some migrants. A replacement hammerdwarf, a cook, a planter, an axedwarf, and a pair of swordsdwarves with experience as engineers. I'm glad for the extra hands, especially for so many to have fighting experience, but equipment will have to come from the caravan unless we can find good metals on site.

22 Sandstone, 50
A massive cloud of dust came in from the glacier today. We'd have seen it sooner, but the mountains block the view northward too much. Those idiots from the Rhyming-Occult Palisade must not have known about the dust storms when they set this place up. It all makes sense to me now, and now we're going to pay the price for their foolishness. We went to ground in good time, but it was already practically on top of us when we saw it, and it managed to catch the new hammerdwarf, our two horses, and one of the mules the ghost spooked earlier.

After they kicked one of their own to death, they turned with a purpose toward us hiding inside of Kingdomssabre. Those of us who could fight did, but the thralls will only succumb after serious injury. Perhaps things would've gone better if the new men had thought to pick up their equipment before charging into battle things would've gone better, but as is just bringing down the dwarf cost us Rovod and left Ber with a broken leg and unable to fight.

Taking down the animals was easier, but Tulon, one of the new swordsdwarves, died in the fighting and the axedwarf, Alexa Heavengorges (a very strange name) died soon after. If only we'd finished the shelter sooner! Spirits are very low. The general feeling is that we've lost too much, for too little gain, but I refuse to surrender! We have gained little from this expedition, but if we leave now it will have all been for nothing.

24 Sandstone, 50
It seems the secret does not want to be uncovered - why else should some terrible calamity befall us with every step toward it we take? I have begun to trace the etchings on the walls, starting with those closest to the gate, and managed to finish most of the hallways between my other duties. They are in the runic alphabet of the Rhyming-Occult Palisade, as I expected, and for better or worse only I among those stationed here can read them. Most of it is gibberish, ranting about rainclouds and keas, but I see among it are also some esoteric symbols, and what seems to be a diagram, but their meanings are not known to me. I can only hope that further study, and further transcription, will yield answers.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:25:57 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 06, 2017, 04:23:39 am »

Damn, looks like KindomSabre is a tough place to settle in !

I really feel like there is something we don't know about this place.
Some kind of hidden power, related to some forgotten dark rituals...
These give strength to unnatural creatures, and slow us dwarves' progress.

Did the Rhyming-Occult Palissade find the truth, what did they know ?
We must find out !

I believe the North is cursed.
See MoonHome or SandalSwims ? Very far from the North. Very successful fortresses !

Whatever lies in KingdomSabr... It frightens me !

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 06, 2017, 04:26:53 am »

We need a fortress south of kingdomsabre, not too north to die painfully, but not too far soith to be devoid of metals and mountains.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 06, 2017, 04:11:59 pm »

We need a fortress south of kingdomsabre, not too north to die painfully, but not too far soith to be devoid of metals and mountains.

Mmmm, I'm ready for a challenge fort--maybe after tax season is over.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 06, 2017, 10:05:13 pm »

Another fairly short one today, but this time it's because nothing really happened. It was kinda nice to actually be able to get things done though.

Excerpts from the Journal of Moldath Primeearths, Acting Expedition Leader of Kingdomssabre

4 Timber, 50
Cleaning up after the cloud incident went without issue, and since then we've completed the walls of our shelter and have begun work on a roof and floors. Our exploratory shaft also struck sphalerite, and more importantly water and the caverns, deep below the surface. The passageways are flooded extensively with shallow water. It looks mostly safe, besides some serpent people camped a ways to the south.

Sadly the discovery came too late for Commander Uvash, who died of dehydration only moments before Erush reached her chamber with a pail full of water. I have appointed Kogsak, the most veteran soldier present, as the new commander of our soldiers here. As befitting our continued status as a military expedition I will turn over the formal role of expedition leader to him as soon as he can be familiarized with my duties. Frankly I'm glad to be rid of it. I have felt the burden of the job heavily over the last few days, and it is ultimately a distraction from what I truly need to do.

1 Moonstone, 50
Winter is here. It snows often enough in summer in this part of the Distracting-Rainy Point, but the routes to Planchamber will be completely impassable until Spring. We will use this season to prepare for next year in relative peace and establish more permanent facilities in the stone layers. By unanimous agreement, I will transfer authority to Kogsak on the first of Granite of the year 51, to give him time to set up a training schedule, duty roster, equipment manifests, and other such tasks. Zuden grant us an uneventful winter.

1 Granite, 51
Somewhat unbelievably, my prayers for a peaceful winter have been answered. Besides a flock of keas showing up briefly to fly off with some torn up rags and other debris (take it I say, saves us the trouble of hauling it to the trash heap ourselves) we saw nothing but ravens circling overhead for the whole season. We got around to burying the honorable dead, and we've excavated, though not furnished, a much more permanent fortress.

Kogsak also reports that our soldiers have taken well to the training schedule, and that something resembling discipline is beginning to assert itself, or at least as much as possible in a squad of only 3 dwarves. I gave him the official seal today at a small party, along with a request that exploration of the rest of Kingdomssabre be allowed to begin as soon as possible. I can make no further sense of the etchings I have found - what little of substance I had discovered months ago seems to be all there is to be found in the cleared part of the fortress, and despite spending whatever time I could spare at their study their secrets still remain hidden. I need to be making progress much more quickly than this. I need to know.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 07, 2017, 09:04:48 pm »

As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to have to cut my turn short. I've been called up for overtime at work and I'm probably not going to have time to put out updates. Certainly not tonight, as I'm typing this on my 15 minute break. If whoever is next is able to start now they can. Otherwise I guess I might be able to at least do a wrapup on Saturday, but it isn't a sure thing.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 08, 2017, 12:51:05 am »

Can you get the save?
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 08, 2017, 09:11:44 am »

Of course I forget to actually pass along the save. Here it is:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12818
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35