Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manager not working for metals *solved, and learned*  (Read 1433 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Manager not working for metals *solved, and learned*
« on: October 28, 2016, 04:13:44 pm »

I have queued up 30 lead cages. There is clearly a large amount of lead available, but it cancels all the jobs as "needs 3 lead bars".

None of it is forbidden and these are magma forges. The path between is clearly unblocked. The workshop profiles are open to all, and the stockpiles have no links.

Wat happen.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:40:17 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Manager not working for metals
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 04:16:53 pm »

Burrow restriction?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 04:23:57 pm »

None at all.

I found that it is only a problem with lead. At first I assumed that something had changed and lead was like, not allowed for cages anymore. But that's not it.

I'm making copper cages now, but it's weird.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 04:31:51 pm »

Hmmmm.. Were they 5-finger discounted?

If they have the merchant flag set, you can't use them until it is cleared.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:03:06 pm »

Well, I know for certain that at least MOST of the lead bars are mine. I have not yet intentionally nabbed things from merchants.

If there's one or two in the mix, could it throw off the whole process?

UPDATE: I've just noticed that there seem to be no lead bars in my stockpile...? When I look at my stock screen, there are hundreds.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 06:55:32 pm »

Well, I know for certain that at least MOST of the lead bars are mine. I have not yet intentionally nabbed things from merchants.

UPDATE: I've just noticed that there seem to be no lead bars in my stockpile...? When I look at my stock screen, there are hundreds.

Expand the view in the stocks screen, select a lead bar, and zoom to see where it is.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 06:58:34 pm »

They aren't all tied up as Construction materials (to-be-used or as extant building components) are they? A silly question. You've probably ruled that out already (also as forbidden/dump-marked), but saying anyway.

Other than that, stuck in a haul-jam? A lead bin full of lead bars being slowly moved, a few painful tiles at a time, by a succession of dwarves who pick it up, then set it down and go off for lunch, letting another dwarf path across half the map and then do the same...

Check out the location of a bar, maybe, go from there...   Ninjaed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 08:39:24 pm »

Expand the view in the stocks screen, select a lead bar, and zoom to see where it is.

"And what happened, then? Well, in Unioncloisters they say – that the Overseer's knowledge of item stocks grew three sizes that day"

I didn't know this was a thing.

Mystery solved. As it turns out it considers already-built floors to be a "lead bar" in the stocks screen. I have exactly 111 lead bars and exactly 111 lead floors built in one area.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manager not working for metals *solved, and learned*
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 09:16:34 pm »

In the expanded view, items used in constructions are shown in blue, items belonging to merchants or visitors are in red, items made in the fort are brown, while items bought from caravans or brought on embark are shown in white. What's more, you can mass forbid, unforbid, dump, undump, and melt designate individual items from the expanded stock view. Expanded stock view, it's super effective!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 09:17:47 pm »

Pro tip. Numbers in red, are items used in constructions. Numbers in white are free.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 09:29:15 am »

Pro tip. Numbers in red, are items used in constructions. Numbers in white are free.

Not quite. Numbers in red are "unavailable"; they could be forbidden, owned by merchants, used in a construction, etc.