Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Onset of insanity?  (Read 1556 times)

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Onset of insanity?
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:11:48 pm »

So a few years ago I discovered I had some unexplained paleness. Narrowed the vampire down to my mayor (worst disguise ever) and walled him away.

Fast forward to today, expecting he's a little downbeat from being cooped up for years. I check his thoughts, and see this at the top:

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Onset of insanity?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:50:33 am »

"The shows in my mind are almost always better..." - The Maxx

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:56:36 pm »

according to the DF wiki, being cooped up cannot directly cause insanity, the fallowing causes of insanity are:
The strange mood job is cancelled for some reason (e.g. the claimed workshop is destroyed or a magma forge loses power)
A Diplomat is trapped inside your fortress for a long time after having completed its meeting. (Being trapped inside a fortress without having completed their meeting will not cause a diplomat to go insane.)
A Diplomat is attacked by sieging forces
A Merchant is trapped within your fortress or otherwise disrupted (e.g. by being attacked by invaders).
A dwarf is forced to stay awake for over 6 months ("Very Drowsy" for a month and a half).
A dwarf is under excessively high stress. Dwarves who have completed a strange mood and created an artifact cannot go insane this way.
A dwarf enters a strange mood but is waiting inside the claimed workshop for the next item (or hasn't yet claimed a workshop) for a month and a half.
A Diplomat or merchant is trapped inside a cage.

your vampire isnt a diplomat, so that rules those options out, you would have noticed if they strange mooded, vampires dont sleep, and so the only possible way for him/her so go insane is if they have high stress.

i find it unlikely that your dwarf is in a high stress environment due to being locked up, however if they are mentally feeble and have a low tolerance for stress, their stress could build up enough over time to make them go insane.

according to the wiki, dwarves DO start to act weird if they are about to go insane from stress, so this is a feasible possibility.
i am unaware if unmet needs can cause stress as most of my dwarves needs are sufficiently met for it to not cause a big issue, but if it can, that could be the cause.

now heres where some fun comes in, insane dwarves will eventully die because they cannot eat drink or sleep, BUT vampires dont need to eat drink or sleep, so if they go insane, they will still live forever. if your vampire goes stark raving mad, you should let him free, and elect him your baron when you get the option to, because theres no better noble than an immortal, insane, naked, lazy noble who does nothing ever.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 10:02:14 pm »

steel jackal, I think the OP was simply commenting on the dwarf's current signature thought, "it's wonderful to be out exploring the wilds!" when, in fact, they had been given the "Cask of Amontillado" treatment. Sort of like that final scene in the movie Brazil.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:01:04 pm »

"The shows in my mind are almost always better..." - The Maxx

8)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 04:09:50 am »

I suspect steel jacket's list to be incomplete, as I've had a chained goblin go insane. Thus, I suspect a sapient being chained for sufficiently long might result in it going bonkers as well.
The line about a dwarf being unable to sleep should probably be changed to a sapient with need for sleep, as I had a caged gremlin going bonkers as well. Note that caged invaders do not seem to need food, drink, or sleep, even when they are dwarves, and none of my caged invading dwarven have gone nuts.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:26:59 am »

I suspect steel jacket's list to be incomplete, as I've had a chained goblin go insane. Thus, I suspect a sapient being chained for sufficiently long might result in it going bonkers as well.
The line about a dwarf being unable to sleep should probably be changed to a sapient with need for sleep, as I had a caged gremlin going bonkers as well. Note that caged invaders do not seem to need food, drink, or sleep, even when they are dwarves, and none of my caged invading dwarven have gone nuts.

my info was from the wiki since ive only personally seen insanity from strange moods. i suppose that somebody needs to do science about sanity to check if the wiki needs updating
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:43:42 am »

@steel jackal: I'm not trying to blame you: you clearly stated it was wiki info. I was just trying to add to the info/rumor mill (and I don't intentionally add false info to said mill, but it's turned out I've been wrong at times).

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 11:15:32 am »

If he gets bad thoughts it'll be from tattered clothes and then being naked.
Happiest dwarfs in my fort were the 3 naked vampires in 2*2 dirt rooms with masterwork door/table/chair. Then I killed them and "I" got happy thoughts.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 07:01:52 pm »

I actually need an insane goblin so I can force it to throw coins at people. Was this a siege goblin or a goblin poet?
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 02:42:00 am »

It was a siege one. I first saw it indicating signs of erratic behavior. Eventually it tantrumed and destroyed the chain (which I believe was a metal one). Since the goblin was naked (which might have contributed to the insanity) it was easy to put down.