Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad as being blind  (Read 791 times)

Vrakanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bad as being blind
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:39:57 pm »

Ok, gave up on LNP and decided to get the real version of the game. But problem is I've been playing with Ironhand graphics on LNP for years now and I have no bloody idea what I'm looking at.

That said, where can I find a 43.05 compatible version of the pack, and how do I install it so I can tell what I'm doing.
Must've been a menacing wooden dildo trap.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bad as being blind
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 01:55:54 pm »

In the future ;)

The compiler switch and the 64 bit version have made the DFHack upgrade rather difficult, and it isn't there yet.
You can manually install an upgraded graphics pack, and if you're using Windows I think Ironhand is in the long list of grahics packs the (Bare Bones) Lazy WinDoze Pack [v0.43.05] contains, which means you can use that one http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159849.0. Dwarf Therapist can manually be added to the 32 bit version by fetching an appropriate symbols table file. DFHack exists in an alpha version, which means usage for actual play (rather than testing) can be a rather bumpy ride.

LNP will be updated when DFHack is released properly, I assume, although there are some issues to iron out with a 64 bit DT, if I understand things correctly.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:00:24 pm »

Ironhand is community maintained, but is kept up to date in the thread here. It's super easy to install. Just drop everything into the game folder.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 04:40:12 pm »

Its a acquired taste.

Generally you have to associate and visualise symbols mentally and learn it, grass is probably the hardest thing to look at and understand at first because its a lot of colour and symbols all over the place describing usually three types of grass, whereas all other creatures and things go off identifiable symbols (Common mistake is looking at O creatures and thinking they are trees, such as Ogres, which at a glance at ASCII, is understandable for even a veteran glancing to mistake)

(K - dwarf mode) & (L - Adventure mode) are your friends for scribing what you're looking at, until you generally accustom and learn it.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:56:11 pm »

Its a acquired taste.

Generally you have to associate and visualise symbols mentally and learn it, grass is probably the hardest thing to look at and understand at first because its a lot of colour and symbols all over the place describing usually three types of grass, whereas all other creatures and things go off identifiable symbols (Common mistake is looking at O creatures and thinking they are trees, such as Ogres, which at a glance at ASCII, is understandable for even a veteran glancing to mistake)

(K - dwarf mode) & (L - Adventure mode) are your friends for scribing what you're looking at, until you generally accustom and learn it.

first time i played df, took me 30 minutes to figure out how to gen a world and then embark.
once i did embark, my dwarves died before i even figured out how to mine XD
but yeah DF is an amazingly difficult game to learn, and its ye olde DOS level graphics dont help. though once you do learn it, its not that bad

hmm... i wonder if it would be possible to make df run on DOS. i mean ik that as it is now it wouldent work, but im talking just as a theoretical example, if DF was built to run DOS from the start.
i would be interested to see a very basic version of DF that runs in DOS as some kind of little experiment to see if it would be at all possible.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:01:13 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 05:36:22 pm »

DOS is natively 16 bit.

you can gain access to 32bit flat memory using a dos extender, like dos4gw however, even that has issues with the absurd amounts of RAM DF wants.  You would need to compile DF with a much better extender, and even then no guarantees.  the graphics side would need to abandon the opengl library, and do raw VESA blitting, which means using an optimized vesa library instead...

lots of work to target a platform only embedded devices use these days.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 05:45:12 pm »

DOS is natively 16 bit.

you can gain access to 32bit flat memory using a dos extender, like dos4gw however, even that has issues with the absurd amounts of RAM DF wants.  You would need to compile DF with a much better extender, and even then no guarantees.  the graphics side would need to abandon the opengl library, and do raw VESA blitting, which means using an optimized vesa library instead...

lots of work to target a platform only embedded devices use these days.

well, im mainly talking about a VERY simple version of DF, more simple than v0.1 or whatever the first public version was. mainly as just a proof of concept
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 06:56:25 pm »

When I first saw this topic I thought it was going to be a reference to Lightning, the Blind Crossbow Champion: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-24-lightningtheblindcrossbowchampion