Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: about artifacts on adventurer mode.  (Read 3529 times)

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
about artifacts on adventurer mode.
« on: October 30, 2016, 03:57:57 pm »

Ok, so, I reclaimed a world generated fort. Waited till the dwarves made some candy artifact weapons and pieces of armour so I could, you know, use them on adventurer mode. Thing is, I cant fast travel without losing the artifacts. And when I go back to the fort, at least one of the artifacts was back on the workshop I took it from. (a perfect gem on a jewelers workshop near the surface, easier to check than the weapons on the maze that world-gen dwarf architects call forges-level.)

I forbid the artifacts the moment they were made on fort mode, because I didn't want them ending up wherever when I went there as an adventurer.

So, my questions are: are all artifacts linked to the place they were made, or is it because they were made on a world gen fort, or because they were forbidden at the moment I retired the fort? (the adventurer I made is from that fort, so maybe she can't violate the "forbidden" rule?)

If it is because they were forbidden, is there any way to store them on a stockpile on fort mode without them being moved somewhere else by the time I get there with an adventurer?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: about artifacts on adventurer mode.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 06:02:05 pm »

Quick update, I went to a previous save from before I retired to fort, and I was destroying the forges that didn't hold any artifacts, when one of the many smiths went to a little room in a corner to destroy one, and BAM!

STEALTH HYDRA!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, only thing keeping it at bay was stone door. And the fact that the room was soo out of the way none of my mooding dwarves or haulers or children stumbled upon it. For like four years. We had a freaking hydra living in a corner of the fort, for four years, without knowing. Now I kind of want to trap it to use its bones for more artifacts.

Wonder if any of my dwarves workship it. Anyway, when reclaiming the fort it said that this hydra had destroyed it, but when I embarked and didn't find it right away I just thought "must have gone back to its lair". Boy was I wrong.

Four. FREAKING. YEARS!
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:44:52 am »

Caged it, trying to tame it. Got it to semi wild, but dunno if it will ever be better than that, and if that level of tameness is enough to slaughter it. Also, wonder if I can take the bones to the depot and buy them back one at a time, so a moody dwarf doesn't use up the whole stack.

Can't post screenshoots because I'm on my phone right now

But back to the topic, have you guys ever had problems taking artifacts out of your forts? How do you go about it? Assign the items to some random urist, have him/her join you on adventures, and then watch with grim satisfaction how she/he flounders helplessly in a river? Or an artifact only stockpile locked behind a raising bridge?

One of the smiths made an artifac candy shortsword, and another made a square candy breasplate! But if I fast travel after leaving the fort's area, all the artifacts go back to the fort. Dunno if it is because they were forbidden (didn't have that problem with a masterwork set of candy armour, though).

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:48:24 am by SebasMarolo »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:38:03 pm »

Hmmm, I haven't messed with artifacts too much yet since I'm waiting for dfhack to catch up, but I would use gm-editor to make sure that they were listed as owned by my unit and whatnot, but it's not something easy to walk someone through.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 03:14:45 pm »

Hmmm, I haven't messed with artifacts too much yet since I'm waiting for dfhack to catch up, but I would use gm-editor to make sure that they were listed as owned by my unit and whatnot, but it's not something easy to walk someone through.

What about this:
I put the hydra inside a contraption. I retire, make and adventurer and slay the hydra. I ask the militia commander to let me join, and I bet he will after I kill the hydra. I retire on location, unretire the fort, assign the artifacts as equipment for my adventurer, retire fort again, unretire adventurer, kill everyone on the fort for having to go through all those steps.

I mean, if it works, great, but it sounds like a lot of work, and not what's intended to happen. At least I'll learn exactly what types of food and drink my adventurer likes to have when I see her on fort mode.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:29:49 pm »

Ok, so, I made a copy of the save, placed the artifacts on a stockpile with bins enabled, didn't forbid them and retired the fort. Made an adventurer. I can (g)et the items out of the bin. Thing is, they still appear on the bin. I cant get two of the same item, but it sure is odd.

Also, the hydra slaying plan didn't work, it bleed to death and some no name farmer got the kill. I pierced its heart with a spear, for crying out loud!

Anyway, I was able to wield/wear and take the artifacts out of the fort, but maybe because I took the bins with me. I'll do some science with throwing. A spear which I can summon back through a bin on my backpack no matter how far I throw it sounds way too cool.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 09:32:56 am »

Ok, so, I made a copy of the save, placed the artifacts on a stockpile with bins enabled, didn't forbid them and retired the fort. Made an adventurer. I can (g)et the items out of the bin. Thing is, they still appear on the bin. I cant get two of the same item, but it sure is odd.

Also, the hydra slaying plan didn't work, it bleed to death and some no name farmer got the kill. I pierced its heart with a spear, for crying out loud!

Anyway, I was able to wield/wear and take the artifacts out of the fort, but maybe because I took the bins with me. I'll do some science with throwing. A spear which I can summon back through a bin on my backpack no matter how far I throw it sounds way too cool.
reaaal cool stuff

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 07:34:15 pm »

That sounds really awesome.  I was wondering why you put it in the bin in the first place, though.  You should be able to just put it in a stockpile and pick it up later.  I'm sure I've done that before.

For RP purposes (and avoiding the magical bin exploit, as awesome as it is), you should be able to create a dwarf adventurer that starts in your fortress as a guard/hearthsperson.  If you do that, you should be able to retire right away (since you are already a member of the fortress).  This would theoretically also allow you to train in the fortress before you go out adventuring.  I have a fortress I can try this with, so I'll give it a go when I have a chance.

I like the idea of having a dwarf that I've watched in fortress mode go on an adventure and then come back.  Note that you need to have a captain of the guard/mayor (and hence 50 dwarfs) before you can actually do this, so you need to run your fortress for a year or two before you can recruit an adventurer.  Unretiring a fortress is a PITA, though because your dwarfs make a right mess of the place.

Edit: Since I had a few minutes I tried it.  It works fine.  I made an adventurer.  You need to toggle the "important status" on and off until it selects the correct location.  Got spawned in a tree :-P.  After getting out of the tree, I wandered into the Captain of the Guard's office and retired.  I reclaimed the fortress and my adventurer was a member of the guard.  I then assigned him to another squad and got him to start training.  Easy as pie.  You might need to ensure that you have a space in your guards before you retire the fort, though.  Not sure.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:15:07 pm by mikekchar »

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 06:48:57 am »

sound awesome, you could then avoid all the gridding in adventurer by making him train in fort mode ! What would be the perfect training program then ? (like for strength i guess pumping is the best, but maxing stuff like kinetic sense ?)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 10:11:25 am »

So, I left my adventurer training for about 18 months in my fortress while I built a keep.  He made good progress.  I had him train under three different teachers: wrestling, mace, and axe.  He got competent in striking and mace, skillful in dodging, etc, etc -- all from nothing.  I also equipped him with 2 artifacts: an artifact leather helm and an artifact rope reed skirt (hey, it was menacing with spikes of iron...).  Interestingly, when I retired the fortress and unretired the adventurer, he only had the leather helm -- and he was hauling that.  Furthermore, he had completely different equipment from when I retired the fortress.  So assigning  equipment is hit or miss.  Still, he had no trouble wearing it and leaving.

I also tried to recruit my mates in the fortress with success.  But since he still had no reputation, I could only convince recruits to come along.

I've retired this fortress 2 times before to have an adventure -- though this was the first time I tried this trick.  In the 2 years since the last adventurer, the world has gotten much more full of goblins.  There are dark pits completely surrounding my fortress now.  Looks like I'm in for some fun.  I tried to scout out one of them, thinking I would have no trouble.  Wow was I wrong.  These guys are heavily armed and highly skilled.  I didn't even land a single hit.

Good thing I built the keep.  And... man are they going to be pissed about the artifact leather helm...

oh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 11:45:54 am »

He got competent in striking and mace, skillful in dodging, etc, etc -- all from nothing.

That's really not that much, though, for a year and a half of in-game time. I don't play much dwarf mode so I dunno how much IRL time that is, but if you really go at it, you can get yourself up to legendary in any of those skills in like 20 IRL minutes tops in adventurer mode just by beating on wildlife.

I guess there are some positives though since you don't need to actually do any of the grinding and you don't have to worry about some sort of stupid unlucky death while grinding when some small bird punches you in the throat and it explodes into gore and you bleed to death.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 09:39:37 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot about some science I did recently: using dfhack and setting gear to Artifact(6) quality, with the item.flags1.artifact and artifact_mood flags set to true so all the artifact properties should kick in does prevent armor from being damaged.

That is all artifact quality gear, I had previously wiped out and gotten a few x and X marks on it as masterwork gear, a worse wipeout with the above changes gave no damage, no wear_timer increase.