Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Phoenix patch alpha test #1  (Read 14200 times)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Phoenix patch alpha test #1
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 03:40:14 pm »

I'll take Li Halan

Also, I declare war on the Decados pre-emptively before the game begins

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »

I'mma gonna tell my patriarch and you're gonna be so sorry!

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix, an EFS patch/remake
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 08:29:05 pm »

Hm, I'm no programmer, but I'm curious how the AI is programmed.  If it had a plot/event based system as a component, I might have a few ideas.  And such a system would allow others to add ideas over time, keeping the AI fresh.  Do you have a discussion topic or forum anywhere for discussion of Phoenix?  I'd rather not clutter up your Game Test page with random discussion.

There was discussion on the first prototype AI about a year ago here

I have no dedicated forums, I just opened this thread on kborek.cz for general discussion.

I'll take Li Halan

Also, I declare war on the Decados pre-emptively before the game begins

Then we may start the first year. I've just released 0.52.1-alpha with some UI fixes, we should be using that. Setting the PBEM button "on" will autoselect all houses as human players.

Things to note: currently there is no reminder of unread messages at the beginning of the turn and the labs window won't pop up on its own even if the labs are idle. So its the polar opposite of what you have at turn start with EFS.EXE.

If you encounter any anomalies, there are three log files which will help in debugging:
Code: [Select]
phoenixlog.txt will contain jvm error/exception stack traces,
input.log will contain an auto-replayable list of mouse/keyboard commands given to Phoenix and
phoenixstaterecord.txt will contain a representation of the game state.

In theory, with the latest save and input.log files the game should be replayable (reproducing the anomaly if any) on a dedicated test machine. This is how I have constructed the automated tests, but I have never tried to replay a game recorded on any machine other than my automated windows test machine and I know that games recorded on ubuntu linux with unity desktop have problems with proper input logging.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 08:09:22 am »

What unit.dat and/or scenario should I be installing the efs.exe over?

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 05:27:58 pm »

What unit.dat and/or scenario should I be installing the efs.exe over?

Let's try latest Emperor Wars, that should be 3.5a. And, currently the DAT-files are fixed at the beginning of the game. You may start the game with different DAT-files, but Phoenix will complain about differing DAT-files. You can ignore this and just start playing.

Also, if anyone is going to try this on Linux, or on any case-sensitive filesystem, the mixed case filenames of the various mods, when extracted on top of EFS and each other, may on Linux, instead of overwriting, create duplicate files whose filenames differ only in case. This will confuse Phoenix. There is a workaround, but it is a bit ugly at this point, basically you make sure all files are uppercase before you copy them onto each other, I'll try to write a simple script to automate the process. I think this case mixing is because (most) Windows filesystems are case-insensitive and are not case-preserving (and many of the mods are made on Windows where case does not matter that much), whereas Linux filesystems are case-sensitive and case-preserving.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 10:29:39 pm »

Hmm, do I have something setup wrong? I get this stacktrace when I load the game:

java.lang.Exception: "electronics" is not a resource type defined in ..\..\DAT\RES.DAT
at dat.ResPair.getResourceTypeFromName(ResPair.java:115)
at dat.ResPair.get(ResPair.java:84)
at dat.Prod.getProdForCity(Prod.java:112)
at dat.Prod.readProdDat(Prod.java:138)

electroniks is in that RES.DAT file

I also see this one:

Error reading file: ..\..\DAT\PROD.DAT, line: 12

Looks like my files might be out of sync for some reason
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:31:31 pm by Kebooo »

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 11:47:29 pm »

Hmm, do I have something setup wrong? I get this stacktrace when I load the game:

java.lang.Exception: "electronics" is not a resource type defined in ..\..\DAT\RES.DAT
at dat.ResPair.getResourceTypeFromName(ResPair.java:115)
at dat.ResPair.get(ResPair.java:84)
at dat.Prod.getProdForCity(Prod.java:112)
at dat.Prod.readProdDat(Prod.java:138)

electroniks is in that RES.DAT file

I also see this one:

Error reading file: ..\..\DAT\PROD.DAT, line: 12

Looks like my files might be out of sync for some reason

In Reality and Emperor Wars electronics should be spelled electroniks, it seems at least PROD.DAT is out of sync. I get that same exception if I install Emperor Wars on Vanilla 1.4 instead of installing first Reality 1.5 and then Emperor Wars 3.5a on Vanilla 1.4. You should get over it by installing Reality1.5 and then Emperor Wars 3.5 again.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 12:20:14 pm »

Hey joulupunikki, I know we're testing for crashes and playability in general but is there anything specific we should each try out that has had problems before?

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 03:48:52 pm »

Hey joulupunikki, I know we're testing for crashes and playability in general but is there anything specific we should each try out that has had problems before?

I can't think of many individual features. There has been manual, automated and some AI testing, but zero pvp testing yet, and not much play testing other than what I have done myself. Since the INI-files are in test configuration, you will have lots of research points and the elections are held every three years. If you try to play like an ordinary multiplayer you should exercise most of the game functions. Just don't spend too much time playing for keeps, the time for that will be if and when Phoenix is judged playable.

I would suggest that you wage war on your cousins from the start ... try out some diplomacy, its the least developed and tested part (ask/give tech, votes, ministry, firebirds and peace are possible) ... if this goes to second and third turns try to vote someone regent, have them declare emperor and then have a free for all on Byzantium II, in the name of testing.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 11:19:08 pm »

Ok, I played turn 1 and have the Hazat save. Can you PM me the e-mail you'd like me to send it to?

Do you want us reporting in any places where features seem to be missing and/or graphics missing or behaving oddly? Or are most of these already known?

Few observations:

-Green and red arrows both no longer work after "You have moved all your units", the green should at least keep going
-Doesn't seem to be a button to "select all" units
-I'm not entirely sure how the research screen works. I think I'm researching something with two labs now, but I don't know how to change my mind
-Attacked a Hawkwood city, routed a couple units, which went to oblivion, despite there being empty hexes. Their direct flight path backwards was into the ocean, though
-No "or else " threat in diplomacy that I could see
-Group finder is very cool
-The city builder looks very cool, it'd be helpful if I could see the resources on the planet I'm selecting

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 01:29:10 am »

Ok, I played turn 1 and have the Hazat save. Can you PM me the e-mail you'd like me to send it to?

Do you want us reporting in any places where features seem to be missing and/or graphics missing or behaving oddly? Or are most of these already known?

Few observations:

-Green and red arrows both no longer work after "You have moved all your units", the green should at least keep going
-Doesn't seem to be a button to "select all" units
-I'm not entirely sure how the research screen works. I think I'm researching something with two labs now, but I don't know how to change my mind
-Attacked a Hawkwood city, routed a couple units, which went to oblivion, despite there being empty hexes. Their direct flight path backwards was into the ocean, though
-No "or else " threat in diplomacy that I could see
-Group finder is very cool
-The city builder looks very cool, it'd be helpful if I could see the resources on the planet I'm selecting

PM sent.

List of known missing features is here. I think most are known, but if you spot anything else while playing go ahead and mention it.

The unit iterator currently works as follows: at the start of turn, all your non-sentried units are put into a list of unmoved units. If you click on red arrow, all units in the current stack are removed from the list of unmoved units and focus moves to the next stack in unmoved units. If you click on the green arrow the focus moves to the next stack in the list of unmoved units. If there are no more units left in unmoved units the you will get the "You have moved all your units." The behavior of the unit iterator could modified to something better ... I'm open to suggestions.

To see options for selecting units press CMB on the stack display.

Research: currently all labs are assigned as a single entity, or rather, your labs produce research points which are pooled and then channeled to research of selected tech. If you have more points than the tech costs the tech is researched immediately. You can change the researched tech by d-clicking on a new tech.

Routed units disappearing : I'll have to test routing, AI testing found a bug there year ago. Do you have any more details, like what type those units where ?

Diplomacy "or else" : "not implemented yet"

Group finder:  :) ... in our previous game, I got seriously fed up with trying to find my transports to move my troops around, hence the enhanced Group finder ... more features under consideration.

Unit Building:  Yep, that makes sense ... planetary resource display added to list of planned extra features.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 05:22:06 pm »

With the unit iterator in regular EFS, I would typically use the red arrow to scroll through all of my units (and make key/important moves) until no more moves remained, but I would use the green arrows after the fact to keep going through my units a bit more to make up my mind on other moves I had put off or was still considering. I would have to be a lot more careful scrolling through units with this new way.

Also, for research, does this mean multi-research isn't possible?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:09:24 pm by Kebooo »

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 11:28:44 pm »

With the unit iterator in regular EFS, I would typically use the red arrow to scroll through all of my units (and make key/important moves) until no more moves remained, but I would use the green arrows after the fact to keep going through my units a bit more to make up my mind on other moves I had put off or was still considering. I would have to be a lot more careful scrolling through units with this new way.

I actually only just took a closer look at how exactly the EFS.EXE unit iterator works. It seems to work like what I described in my previous post, except when you have gone through all your units with the red arrows button and select no for the end of turn question it will reset the unmoved units list and the red arrows button starts to behave like the green arrows button so it will cycle through your units, zero move points or not, presumably ad infinitum. I think that for starters I'll copy the above behavior with the exception that the red arrows button will not change behavior, so it will just reset the unmoved units list after you have gone though all your units with the red arrows button so you can cycle though your units again.

And ... damn, I see I could use a loan from the League, but "not implemented yet."

Also, discovered two crashes, one reference is not properly set when loading a game and a graphics routine using width instead of height. They seem simple enough so I'll try to release a fix on friday.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 10:12:46 pm »

Turn sent

I've just released 0.52.2-alpha with some fixes (notably, the unit iterator is modified as discussed above but the potential retreat bug remains to be investigated), we should be using that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 01:55:39 am »

I... don't think we have the fifth player, actually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5