Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Phoenix patch alpha test #1  (Read 14352 times)

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Phoenix, an EFS patch/remake
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Phoenix patch alpha test #1
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2017, 09:40:09 pm »

I think I must be doing something wrong, no files are extracting for me from the Phoenix installation for Phoenix-0.52.4-alpha-setup.exe

I tried installing it on my secondary computer and my antivirus (Avast) seems to like it even less than the previous versions. The initial install process may crash while av is running but after av is finished the install will start again and proceed normally. Also, sometimes the av will run silently in the background while the install appears to be hanging, but will proceed when the av is done. If your trouble is something like this you could try to manually scan the Phoenix-0.52.4-alpha-setup.exe with your av so that it will register it as checked.

Other that the above av trouble I found no problems with install.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 09:06:52 am »

kebooo:

I've added a simple zip for windows to the release, see if that works.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 03:47:26 pm »

Ok, so the zip is working fine. A couple things (I might've already asked these)

Is the group selector supposed to be implemented yet? The one where you click it and it highlights all the units in the stack

I'm also getting a message where I can't end my turn until all contracts are resolved, but the only "contracts" I'm told about are regarding cities not being able to produce resources. I read both in the messages screen so they'd be gray, but still no luck. I also sent an offer to the Hawkwood, which I can no longer view when I bring up the screen. Any ideas?

I think I recall the red group passing button had changed? Or has that not happened yet? I noticed that it could still scroll through units I had already moved down to 0 movement points, before I had reached "end of turn".

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2017, 06:31:16 pm »

Ok, so the zip is working fine. A couple things (I might've already asked these)

Is the group selector supposed to be implemented yet? The one where you click it and it highlights all the units in the stack

Press center mouse button anywhere in the stack display ... although I probably should add the EFS1.4 conformant select all button ... also, I just noticed a bug related to group selection.

I'm also getting a message where I can't end my turn until all contracts are resolved, but the only "contracts" I'm told about are regarding cities not being able to produce resources. I read both in the messages screen so they'd be gray, but still no luck. I also sent an offer to the Hawkwood, which I can no longer view when I bring up the screen. Any ideas?

Send me your current save (in Phoenix you should be able to save mid turn in PBEM) or the turn that Margrave sent you and I'll have a look at it.

I think I recall the red group passing button had changed? Or has that not happened yet? I noticed that it could still scroll through units I had already moved down to 0 movement points, before I had reached "end of turn".

It is "implemented" but it seems that 0 movement units are currently included in the list of unmoved units, have to fix that. Also, certain amount of in game customizability for the unit iterator could be useful, like in the group finder.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 06:46:26 pm »

Sent

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 07:09:29 pm »

Sent

What's the passwd ... I could of course bypass it but technically that could be a crime :P

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 08:10:03 pm »

Sent

What's the passwd ... I could of course bypass it but technically that could be a crime :P

Should be 1984

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 09:56:46 pm »

Well, this should be easy ... the "Read Contracts" button does nothing (yet.) But contracts will be shown as "* Contract *" when you select "Read Messages." Also, the graying in messages only means the message/contract is viewed at least once, the contract can still be unresolved while gray.

So currently, you need to click "Read Messages" and then double click on the contract and in the following dialog click "Accept" or "Reject" to resolve the contract. The only way to tell if a contract is resolved is if in its dialog the "Accept" and "Reject" are grayed. Also, while investigating this issue I found a bug which may cause crash during PBEM if you press End Turn and then cancel the save. I think you can finish the turn with this information. I'll release a fix for the latest bugs in a few days.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 05:28:58 pm »

Turn sent, looks like I had a misconception of how the UI was working. I didn't see any contracts offered to me at the start of a turn, as is normal in EFS, and I thought the *CONTRACT* message was actually a column header of sorts, with "contract" messages below it.

I also noticed I can see the cargo of a Hazat transport over one of my worlds (a noble).

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 06:23:00 pm »

I also sent an offer to the Hawkwood, which I can no longer view when I bring up the screen.

AFAIK in EFS1.4 the contracts are only sent at the end of the turn, whatever contract happens to be drawn on the diplomacy window will be sent and you can only send one per faction per turn. Currently in Phoenix the contract is sent immediately (and thus "disappears" from the view) and you can send multiple contracts per faction per turn. I'm not sure this is wise as then you could either offer/ask same things twice in different contracts, or some more involved diplomacy handling code would have to be written. So to simplify things and meet EFS1.4 standards I think I'm gonna restrict contracts to one sent per receiving faction per turn. 

Turn sent, looks like I had a misconception of how the UI was working. I didn't see any contracts offered to me at the start of a turn, as is normal in EFS, and I thought the *CONTRACT* message was actually a column header of sorts, with "contract" messages below it.

Well, the message subsystem is very different from EFS1.4, so some sort of ... documentation :o ... should probably be provided.

I also noticed I can see the cargo of a Hazat transport over one of my worlds (a noble).

Yes, this will have to be fixed.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:55 am »

I agree one contract per faction per turn is a good idea, otherwise one faction could give all their technology to another in a single year, which would have major ramifications on negotiating that aren't really part of the original EFS experience.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2017, 02:32:44 pm »

Listen if I can't scam the AI into giving me all of its technology based on bogus logic, then I'm not being a proper Al-Malik.

I do agree that one contract is enough for the purposes of diplomacy.

That being said, being able to gift individual holdings would be pretty nice. I can understand this might not be feasible given both setting up the framework to find individual holdings and the hassle of masking sure the AI isn't exploited or even making sure no bugs arise from this but a man can dream.

Or to make the inner merchant in me salivate being able to trade all holdings on one planet. "Why yes Computer Li Halan I would gladly trade you my votes for Regent in exchange for Kish."

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2017, 10:38:05 am »

Having fixed issues 108 and 111-115 I was just finishing Hawkwood when I ran into 116 so al Malik will have to wait some more ...

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2017, 05:45:21 pm »

No worries, I am out of state at the moment so I couldn't really get to the turn until Sunday.

Let me know if there's anything specific you want me to try this upcoming turn when everything is all set.

joulupunikki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2017, 12:18:06 pm »

Turn sent

0.52.5 was just released, we should use that.

Let me know if there's anything specific you want me to try this upcoming turn when everything is all set.

It seems bugs like to appear where you least expect them, so I can only keep saying that play as you normally would (minus too much planning since this is an alpha test.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5