Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: it is raining human blood  (Read 4779 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
it is raining human blood
« on: October 31, 2016, 02:36:05 pm »

ok so i was messing around with advanced world gen to create my perfect world, and i did it.
i have an embark with humans, elves, goblins, necromancers, trees, sand, clay, fire clay, a brook, a volcano, flux, and possibly iron, but there is one issue: half of the embark is in an evil biome.

i have never done an evil embark before and im scrambling to get all the stuff and things underground because of this evil rain.

how do i find out what this evil rain causes, if anything, and what are some things that i need to look out for in an evil biome in general?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: it is raining human blood
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »

Blood Rain best rain. Just annoys outdoor dwarves, it doesn't carry any syndromes or other threats.

May want to keep an eye out for zombies though. I can't remember if zombification can occur alongside Evil Weathers.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:43:17 pm »

Chain an animal up where you get the rain. I'm not certain caged critters will work, and you don't want the thing dragging a syndrome into your fortress.

Play Phil Collins and Eric Clapton's 'I Wish it Would Rain Down' and then !!SCIENCE!!. If that's not your speed, I occasionally use Alter Bridge's "Waters Rising" as well.

Watch your corpses, you might have them reanimate on their own. Magmachutes/Atom Smashers and a lot of haulers to clear corpses out are essential.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:43:54 pm »

Blood Rain best rain. Just annoys outdoor dwarves, it doesn't carry any syndromes or other threats.

May want to keep an eye out for zombies though. I can't remember if zombification can occur alongside Evil Weathers.

well thank armok, for once he is merciful.

but yeah im near a tower anyway, and in the last fort that had a tower i noticed that necromancers could show up as an ambush when you dont meet siege requirements, so im already being careful as to whats done with corpses

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 03:09:14 pm »

I'd be more concearned as to how they know it's human blood. Did they taste it? If so, how do they know what human blood tastes like in the first place? You may have a vampire...

But like it has been said before, blood just scares your dwarves, gives them a thought along the lines of "*some sort of bad feeling* for being exposed to freakish weather".
What's really dangerous is when some sort of mist or fog appears. It usually does with a message. Those can be anything from mild skin necrosis to husk powder and all what's in between.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »

Evil biomes can have no special interactions, or they can have an evil weather (rain or fog), and they also might or might not reanimate.

If there's an evil weather, there will be only one per biome, and it's either rain or evil clouds.

Rain falls from the sky and is either:
- A random yucky material (like blood), that is annoying but harmless.
- A randomly generated material that will have mild-to-moderately severe effects. (Things like pain, bleeding, nausea.) Usually nonfatal but definitely harmful.

Evil Fog/Mist appears as a cloud that moves across the map, affecting anything caught in it. It will either:
- Have random effects like rain, but much more severe, often fatal.
- Instantly turn creatures caught in it into superpowered hostile husks/thralls.

Since you have evil rain, you won't have evil clouds, which are far more dangerous.

Separately, an evil biome might or might not reanimate corpses. It's quick and easy to test by throwing a body or body part over into the biome area. If it does, then try to avoid killing things over there, and definitely don't build the butcher shop there.

You might get visiting undead appearing on the evil map edges of a reanimating biome.

Have fun!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:15 pm »

It just randomly selects a blood type from most if not all of the creatures in the raw files. You could potentially get grasshopper blood. Or ichor, rather. Can make for some strange areas.

If it's not blood rain, it can be dangerous. Blood is specifically the only safe "Evil" material, so long as the creature chosen to bleed for the heavens doesn't have toxins running through their veins.

Interesting fact: when it's cold out, the evil rain material may snow down instead. Mmmm, Blood Blizzards. New at Dwarfy Queen!

If a biome is capable of raising corpses, it will typically happen once a week, and all wildlife that enter the map for that biome are already undead. Even Megabeasts that spawn in there already dead! They would be "Raised by mysterious forces" or some such according to the Legends Viewer.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:45:12 pm »

The worst thing with blood rain, in my opinion, is that it scares caravans. Since the rain is technically harmless, you can build an "umbrella" over that part of the map to block rain from reaching the ground (if you build it at 1 level above ground it will also stop tree growth, provided it's a roof rather than just retracting drawbridges).
Undead, however, is another matter.

And black tower sieges don't care about any treaties to ban harvesting of communities that are too small: they can send a siege the first summer (usually just something like 3 undead and a handler, and nothing that an ordinary locked door won't keep out, but your grazers will get hungry if you don't deal with it reasonably quickly). Black towers can also send in stealthed necros either alone or in conjunction with a siege.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:02:23 pm »

just noticing, theres a dead giant hedgehog that i didnt kill and its in the evil biome. its covered in "profane soot" is that something to worry about?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:06:49 pm »

Possibly. That sounds like an evil dust.

Science is required.

Pen/pasture a war dog near it. The dog will go on its own. It will attack the undead hedgehog, get exposed, and then science can happen.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 07:08:35 pm »

Possibly. That sounds like an evil dust.

Science is required.

Pen/pasture a war dog near it. The dog will go on its own. It will attack the undead hedgehog, get exposed, and then science can happen.

its not undead, just dead. so i dont think my evil biome can necro. i will keep my eye on the corpse though

aaaand dark gnomes. where are kobold bulbs when you need them....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:13:22 pm by steel jackal »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 07:12:37 pm »

Is this on that world I genned?

Max subregions is 5000 on that one. Possibly has more than one evil region, meaning it might make clouds there.

Next time it rains, observe if no blood falls in that part of the map.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 07:14:07 pm »

Odd, it usually warns you when mist or fog spread onto the map. Though in my experience, the fog cannot move outside of the evil biome it belongs to, so sticking to the uncorrupted side of your map is advised, until you know precisely what the soot does. It may be minor, it may be absolutely murderous.

Your Evil Biome section may actually be more than one Evil Biome, as you cannot get more than one evil weather in a single biome.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 07:14:59 pm »

Is this on that world I genned?

Max subregions is 5000 on that one. Possibly has more than one evil region, meaning it might make clouds there.

Next time it rains, observe if no blood falls in that part of the map.

nope, one of mine. also theres plenty of blood where the hedgehog is
bottom left

on the embark screen i only saw two biomes, one evil, and the other neutral

i have the original world from before i embarked, so i will double check nope, backed up the wrong world...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:22:26 pm by steel jackal »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 07:20:55 pm »

It's near the edge of the map. It may have wandered in from a nearby region that has the deadly dust biome.

Its a long shot, but pasture an animal in a 1x1 pasture on top of the corpse. If there is a contact syndrome, and some contagious contaminant present, animals lack shoes to protect their feet. There is a chance of doing science to determine lethality.
Pages: [1] 2 3