Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing Evil Fog  (Read 1635 times)

lobster1050

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing Evil Fog
« on: November 02, 2016, 05:38:10 am »

Is it possible to contain evil fog with bridges/floodgates or something like that? I tried it for several times, but fog never came across the trap. What happensif you managed to capture it? Will fog remain inside the trap, or just disappear?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:43:07 am by lobster1050 »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Capturing Evil Fog
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:23:24 am »

fog will never go into underground tiles. And yes, it will dissapear, sadly.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 11:47:18 am »

As far as I know it is impossible to capture evil fogs, clouds, and mists. However if it's evil dust there are some things you can do. While the dust cloud itself just vanishes, anything it converts seems to get coated in dust. And that dust, if it rubs off on another creature during combat, impacts them just like getting caught in the cloud.

So in theory, at least with a husking cloud, you could expose war dogs, bunnies, ravens, whatever else, and then unleash them as horrible little plague vectors on invaders. Not as much fun as dropping a bridge and having a wave of airborne horror roll out but maybe close to what you are trying to do...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 11:54:52 am »

As far as I know it is impossible to capture evil fogs, clouds, and mists. However if it's evil dust there are some things you can do. While the dust cloud itself just vanishes, anything it converts seems to get coated in dust. And that dust, if it rubs off on another creature during combat, impacts them just like getting caught in the cloud.

So in theory, at least with a husking cloud, you could expose war dogs, bunnies, ravens, whatever else, and then unleash them as horrible little plague vectors on invaders. Not as much fun as dropping a bridge and having a wave of airborne horror roll out but maybe close to what you are trying to do...

Of course, then you turn the invading armor into a group of absurdly difficult to kill husks. Perhaps those are less lethal than I recall, but I remember them being a pain.

Weaponizing something like a flesh melting cloud is possible, IIRC, by creating a wet trench and polluting that trench with the infectious material so that it transfers to passing creatures.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:09:38 pm »

Weaponizing something like a flesh melting cloud is possible, IIRC, by creating a wet trench and polluting that trench with the infectious material so that it transfers to passing creatures.
Thinking about how to go about that made me think of Prometheus... Which turned out well for everyone involved, right..?

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:41:42 pm »

Of course, then you turn the invading armor into a group of absurdly difficult to kill husks. Perhaps those are less lethal than I recall, but I remember them being a pain.

Oh, they are still just as idiotically lethal. It's zombies that got a nerf. So yes, I'm not sure how making invaders into husks would be a smart thing to do from a security/productivity perspective. On the other hand this is Dwarf Fortress so 'utility' has many many meanings here...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 01:00:34 pm »

Well, at the very least it'll break the siege, and if you only convert some of them you'll also lessen their number though infighting, and the undead husks could be directed into smaller storage with live bait and don't attack your vampire/necromancer fort unlike the siege.

The last bit in particular means that the only things that fight husks in Bloodyhells by now are the visitors, and the few migrants.

Of course, it could go badly and end your fort, but so could flooding the surface with magma.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:04:09 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 01:14:52 pm »

Seal yourself in forever and let the dust husks handle outside security.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 02:14:43 pm »

Not all dusts cause huskification.

Some cause super-ebola on contact. :P  Those are the ones you want to have coating your crossbow bolts.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 05:30:41 pm »

So what you're suggesting, wierd, is to leave crossbow bolts on the ground and let the dust collect on them and then unforbid them?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 05:45:52 pm »

Yes. Use gloves.