Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: curses_vector - ∞x∞  (Read 64113 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: curses_vector - ∞x∞
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2018, 06:43:56 am »

Here's another progress update! It's been quite a while since my last one, seven months to be exact. In the meantime I've been focusing on a number of projects including freelance indie development and making my own game. But just this month, a user from the forums emailed me and reminded me there was still a demand for this, so I'm going to be doing my best to finish up vanilla support.

As of now, the status of Bitlands is:
Font: 100%
Creatures: 100%
Items: 100%
Plants: 30%
Terrain: 20%
Buildings/workshops: 10%
Font creatures: 0%

Moving forward I want to finish everything except buildings and do the initial release in a new thread. Then, I will do the workshop graphics and contact mifki to see if overriding the vanilla workshop tiles is possible. If not, I will begin to add mod support to Bitlands.

Compared to GemSet, there is one new thing I will be doing. I will be making a small command line installer that backs up the user's raws then patches them with Bitlands support. It will read from a list of provided files and override the tiles of creatures, items, plants, etc. It will also allow the user to resize the tileset for larger displays. Hopefully, it will streamline the installation process for users and make Bitlands more compatible with modified raws.

Compared to BAMM!, this tool will be written in C so it will be highly portable and won't require the user to install Python. It will be open-sourced (my first open-source project!) so anyone can port it to other platforms or modify it for their own tileset.

Any plans for an 800_600 version?
I'm afraid not. For both curses_vector and Bitlands I'll be sticking with a 2:3 tile ratio as I've found that works best when resized up to 1080p and 4K monitors.

Would it be possible to apply the latest current graphic-pack science and have a subtle graphical deviation in this style based on the material of individual objects?
That would be a good feature but unfortunately it wouldn't work well in a minimalistic tileset like this. I've experimented with doing basic things like profession tiles and the resolution is just too small to make a difference!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:47:22 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2018, 09:56:16 am »

There were no changes on how workshop overrides work. Best you can do is overwrite existing tiles, but you cant change their arrangement.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2018, 04:22:27 pm »

Progress on Bitlands has been going very smoothly. I've been working hard on what's left as well as what I missed in the last progress update. Unless complications arise in testing, I could see this tileset being finished in about a week. We're in the home stretch! Here's where the tileset is standing right now:

Text & Map Font: 100%
Creatures: 100%
Items: 100%
Plants: 100%
Installation tool: 90%
Terrain: 20%

Once every item here is finished, the final thing left will be the lengthy process of writing the raws. Thankfully, my patching tool will reduce the work that goes into this. Here's a screenshot of it in action:

I fear I might be reinventing the wheel by creating my own installation program, but I've learned a lot in the process of making it. It's heavily data-driven so modifying it to install other tilesets just involves replacing some text files. On the visual side of things, here's a teaser of some profession and plant graphics I just finished:

In contrast to other tilesets, Bitlands will not feature unique graphics for every profession. At this resolution it is difficult to differentiate tiles so similar professions will be grouped under the same graphic. Plants, however, will have a unique tile for every species. And so will trees! I'm not sure if all of them can be used due to the limited tileset space but maybe they can be used as sapling tiles? The next update will be the last before I put up a thread. I'm considering quietly posting a download here and getting feedback before I do a formal release. Would anyone be willing to provide a heavily modded fort as a guinea pig? :P

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2018, 01:26:53 pm »

Awesome, especially I like wrestler and other military units with shields.

But the line between top and bot clothes looks way off on the dwarves with bare hands, just my 2 cents.

Anyway, great job. Hope the bitlands release is soon.

Edit: Btw, if the dwarves have so detailed professions, would other civs have the same detalization of their tiles? I guess it would look odd if dwarves were so different, and then all humans look the same.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:30:35 pm by Wokko »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2018, 02:01:23 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into removing that "belt" on the default dwarves. And yes, other civs will have profession graphics as well. Right now dwarves, humans, elves, goblins and kobolds have the full set of 36 tiles. I have a python script that generates the sheet layout so if I ever want to add more races (rows) or professions (columns) I just need to add them to a list.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2018, 09:39:49 am »

Wow, all civs with detailed professions, awesome.

I have another question though. Will you update the tileset with the new df updates? I really don't want bitlands to be forgotten like gemset.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2018, 10:20:13 am »

Are you aware of the additions that Japa made to TWBT? Namely the option of adding a variety of sprites for a single object; adding sprites for different materials; and adding a sequence of changing sprites for a single object (aka animations).

That still doesn't fully help with complete workshop graphics, but for example the soapmaker could have moving bubbles, the forges glowing ember and the like. Copy+Paste items like all webs or all logs looking exactly the same can be done away with. And of course special materials, like for example Adamantine, could get a unique set of sprites.

Just as ideas.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

JakeParade

• Bay Watcher
  • Welcome to the Parade.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2018, 04:28:21 pm »

Bitlands looks actually 100% incredible. Good work!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2018, 03:39:17 pm »

Wow, all civs with detailed professions, awesome.

I have another question though. Will you update the tileset with the new df updates? I really don't want bitlands to be forgotten like gemset.

Bitlands will continue to be updated. I stopped updating GemSet for a combination of reasons, mainly that I grew to hate the art style by the time I finished it. For Bitlands, I'm planning on doing 4 things to help increase long-term support:
  • The art style will be kept simple and basic so it won't drive out the perfectionist in me.
  • All of the graphics and patch files will be generated with Python scripts so if I need to add a new creature, plant or profession I can append it to a list and re-generate all of the files. These scripts will be posted in case anyone wants to use them to generate mod support.
  • Bitlands will be installed via DFPatcher (which is complete and now being tested) so if Dwarf Fortress recieves an update that doesn't need new graphics, you can still patch the new raws with Bitlands.
  • I will be posting Bitlands in an offical GitHub repo so even if I become busy with other projects, there will be an accessible way for people to contribute.

Are you aware of the additions that Japa made to TWBT? Namely the option of adding a variety of sprites for a single object; adding sprites for different materials; and adding a sequence of changing sprites for a single object (aka animations).

Yes! I've actually been using your overrides as a reference and while I won't be going the extra mile to add all of the materials (the art is too simple for that) I have been considering doing basic ice/stone/magma/wooden walls. I will probably not be adding animated tiles.

Bitlands looks actually 100% incredible. Good work!

Thank you! Once it's finished I'm really hoping Bitlands becomes the closest Dwarf Fortress has to an "official" look.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2018, 04:05:47 am »

becomes the closest Dwarf Fortress has to an "official" look.
Difficult, considering that people either go for graphical packs like Phoebus/Spacefox , or stick to ASCII.

The ASCII purists might still think of bitlands as heresy,  while the fans of graphical packs might deem it too simple.

I for one love all the extra work you put in, the scripts, compability, vectors graphics... Its great. :-)

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:36 pm »

How is it going? I'm so excited about bitlands.
I don't know what I am awaiting more: df party system update, or bitlands release. Probably both.
Gotta check the thread every day.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2018, 05:07:28 pm »

I for one love all the extra work you put in, the scripts, compability, vectors graphics... Its great. :-)

Thanks! I'm really hoping that the extra work I put in early on will make maintaining and updating the tileset easier.

How is it going? I'm so excited about bitlands.
I don't know what I am awaiting more: df party system update, or bitlands release. Probably both.
Gotta check the thread every day.

Things are going very smoothly. The process of writing the files took longer than I anticipated but that will be finished soon. All of the creatures, races, items, crops, shrubs, trees, plant growths and map tiles are drawn. The files for creatures, races, crops, shrubs, trees and plant growths have been written. What's left is to draw the remaining tiles, start on the overrides, test the tileset and ship it!

Since I'm currently checking the plant raws, I thought I'd highlight that process in this update.

Code: (defines.txt) [Select]

======================================
 COLOR CODES

#BLACK 0
#NAVY 1
#GREEN 2
#TEAL 3
#MAROON 4
#PURPLE 5
#OLIVE 6
#SILVER 7
#GRAY 8
#BLUE 9
#LIME 10
#CYAN 11
#RED 12
#PINK 13
#YELLOW 14
#WHITE 15

CREATURE TILES

#DAEMON 38
#HOMINID 66
#HOMINID_BIG 67
#BLOB 69
#TUBE 70
#TUBE_MAN 71
#TENTACLE 72
#TENTACLE_MAN 74
#ANURA 75
#ANURA_MAN 76
#LIZARD 77
#LIZARD_MAN 78
#SHELLED 80
#SHELLED_MAN 81
#RODENT 82
#RODENT_MAN 83
#CANINE 84
#CANINE_MAN 85
#FELINE 89
#FELINE_MAN 97
#BULKY 98
#BULKY_MAN 99
#EQUINE 100
#EQUINE_MAN 101
#PRIMATE 102
#PRIMATE_MAN 103
#FISH_SMALL 104
#FISH_LONG 105
#FISH_BIG 106
#FISH_FLAT 107
#PINNIPED 108
#PINNIPED_MAN 109
#BUG_GROUND 110
#BUG_GROUND_MAN 112
#BUG_FLY 113
#BUG_FLY_MAN 114
#BIRD_SMALL 115
#BIRD_SMALL_MAN 116
#BIRD_BIG 117
#BIRD_BIG_MAN 118
#BIRD_TALL 119
#BIRG_TALL_MAN 120
#BIRD_NOFLY 121
#VEHICLE 122
#DIETY 142
#BOGEYMAN 164

GRASS TILES

#GRASS_BLADE1 46
#GRASS_BLADE2 44
#GRASS_BLADE3 96
#GRASS_BLADE4 39

#GRASS_BAMBOO1 179
#GRASS_BAMBOO2 186
#GRASS_BAMBOO3 244
#GRASS_BAMBOO4 245

#GRASS_SHROOM1 166
#GRASS_SHROOM2 167
#GRASS_SHROOM3 252
#GRASS_SHROOM4 253

#GRASS_EYE1 79
#GRASS_EYE2 111
#GRASS_EYE3 9
#GRASS_EYE4 248

#GRASS_ARM1 242
#GRASS_ARM2 243
#GRASS_ARM3 169
#GRASS_ARM4 170

PLANT TILES

#SHRUB_GRASS 174
#SHRUB_GRAIN 215
#SHRUB_REED 20
#SHRUB_STALK 157
#SHRUB_BRANCH 152
#SHRUB_VINE 21
#SHRUB_BUSH 5
#SHRUB_LEAFY 6
#SHRUB_BULB 229
#SHRUB_TUBER 235
#SHRUB_MELON 147
#SHRUB_SHROOM 231
#SHRUB_BARB 15

PLANT GROWTHS

#GROWTH_LEAVES 6
#GROWTH_FLOWERS 5
#GROWTH_BUDS 237
#GROWTH_HEART 3
#GROWTH_BULB 229
#GROWTH_POD 170
#GROWTH_NUTS 59
#GROWTH_BERRIES 58
#GROWTH_ETAERIO 236
#GROWTH_ROUND 7
#GROWTH_LONG 169
#GROWTH_MELON 9
#GROWTH_PEPPER 44
#GROWTH_PINEAPPLE 224

TREE TILES

#OW_BROAD 5
#OW_FRUIT 6
#OW_NUT 139
#OW_PINE 23
#OW_PALM 226
#OW_SHROOM 11
#OW_BROAD_DEAD 161
#OW_FRUIT_DEAD 141
#OW_NUT_DEAD 152
#OW_PINE_DEAD 18
#OW_PALM_DEAD 13
#OW_SHROOM_DEAD 147

TREE GROWTHS

#GROWTH_DROOP 35
#GROWTH_POLLEN_CONE 126
#GROWTH_SEED_CONE 162
#GROWTH_CONE 162
#GROWTH_POLLEN_CATKINS 42
#GROWTH_SEED_CATKINS 238
#GROWTH_NUT 59
#GROWTH_ACORN 147
#GROWTH_SAMARA 60
#GROWTH_TREEPOD 127
#GROWTH_FEATHERS 168
#GROWTH_EGGS 111

At the lowest level of Bitlands is defines.txt. This defines a bunch of values used by DFPatcher. Have you ever forgotten a color code or wanted to know what you're using in the map tileset? This file keeps that all in one place so you can easily reorganize it. Just today I realized I had swapped the tiles for leaves and flowers (♣ and ♠) so I was able to change two lines in defines.txt and it updated in all the raws.

Code: (plant_garden.txt) [Select]
[PLANT:ARTICHOKE]
[PICKED_TILE:34]
[PICKED_COLOR:PINK:BLACK:BLACK]
[DEAD_PICKED_TILE:34]
[DEAD_PICKED_COLOR:GRAY:BLACK:BLACK]
[SHRUB_TILE:SHRUB_STALK]
[SHRUB_COLOR:LIME:BLACK:BLACK]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:SHRUB_STALK]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:GRAY:BLACK:BLACK]
[GROWTH:LEAVES]
[GROWTH_PRINT:0:GROWTH_LEAVES:GREEN:0:0:ALL:1]
[GROWTH:HEART]
[GROWTH_PRINT:34:GROWTH_HEART:WHITE:0:0:0:59999:3]
[GROWTH:FLOWERS]
[GROWTH_PRINT:34:GROWTH_FLOWERS:BLUE:0:0:60000:119999:2]

The next level of Bitlands are the patch files. These are graphics-only raws that DFPatch will apply to the game. You can hand-write these, but I'm generating them with Python scripts. I could go the extra mile and write defines for the seasonal growth timings here, but I'm using the default ones so I just copied them over.

Code: (plant_garden) [Select]
[PLANT:ARTICHOKE] cynara cardunculus
[NAME:artichoke][NAME_PLURAL:artichokes][ADJ:artichoke]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[PICKED_TILE:34][PICKED_COLOR:13:0:0]
[DRY][BIOME:GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
[VALUE:2]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen artichoke wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:artichoke wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling artichoke wine]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HEART:FRUIT_TEMPLATE]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[STOCKPILE_PLANT_GROWTH]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEAF:LEAF_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:GREEN]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:0]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FLOWER:FLOWER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:PURPLE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:5:0:0]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[SEED:artichoke seed:artichoke seeds:0:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:yummy hearts]
[GROWTH:LEAVES]
[GROWTH_DENSITY:1000]
[GROWTH_PRINT:0:5:2:0:0:ALL:1]
[GROWTH_NAME:artichoke heart:STP] bud not fruit
[GROWTH_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:HEART]
[GROWTH_TIMING:0:59999]
[GROWTH_PRINT:34:3:15:0:0:0:59999:3]
[GROWTH_NAME:artichoke flower:STP]
[GROWTH_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:FLOWER]
[GROWTH_TIMING:60000:119999]
[GROWTH_PRINT:34:6:9:0:0:60000:119999:2]
[DEAD_PICKED_TILE:34]
[DEAD_PICKED_COLOR:8:0:0]
[SHRUB_TILE:157]
[SHRUB_COLOR:10:0:0]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:157]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:8:0:0]

The final step of Bitlands are the actual raw files! This is how they look after DFPatcher has applied them. DFPatcher found existing tags for PICKED_TILE and DEAD_PICKED_TILE so it replaced those, but the remaining ones were appended to the end. All of the temporary defines were removed so the patches are now in format that (hopefully) the game will accept.

This update was a little more technical than the previous ones but I hope it gave some insight into how Bitlands is patched! All these tools will be released so if other graphics set creators wish to use them they can include them in their download.

JakeParade

• Bay Watcher
  • Welcome to the Parade.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2018, 02:07:28 pm »

Pardon me if you already answered this question somewhere as I'm lazy and don't feel like looking, but when Bitlands is ready are you going to make a new thread or just repurpose this one?

pentastic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2018, 02:16:28 pm »

This is so awesome. I use a 3440x1440 34 inch monitor with Tergel, Gemset creatures, and curses vector text and have been looking forward to replacing Gemset with Bitlands since I first heard about it. I'm a bit fuzzy on this patcher though, will I be able to take just the creatures as easily or in a similar manner to Gemset?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »

Pardon me if you already answered this question somewhere as I'm lazy and don't feel like looking, but when Bitlands is ready are you going to make a new thread or just repurpose this one?

When Bitlands is finished I'll post here and ask for playtesters. When it's finished and tested, I'll make a new thread!

This is so awesome. I use a 3440x1440 34 inch monitor with Tergel, Gemset creatures, and curses vector text and have been looking forward to replacing Gemset with Bitlands since I first heard about it. I'm a bit fuzzy on this patcher though, will I be able to take just the creatures as easily or in a similar manner to Gemset?

The patcher is pretty straightforward: just an exe and a bunch of text files. There are init files, overrides, creature graphics and raw patches in the folder. If you don't want to patch certain things then you can delete those files and it will ignore them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9