Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: curses_vector - ∞x∞  (Read 63453 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: curses_vector - ∞x∞
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 03:19:54 pm »

Not a prob, get those grades!

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 08:48:21 pm »

I can't seem to be able to install this on mac. Any help? Vanilla or LNP is fine I just don't know why it's not working. I replaced the filed and changed the init. help :|
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »

Dropped the size you're after into your df/data/art folder and put the relevant filename into your df/data/init/init.txt file lines like [FONT:vector_square24x36.png]?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 11:18:31 pm »

I promised myself I'd update GemSet before starting other projects, but it's time to come clean. I've tried working on GemSet but I cannot work up the motivation to finish v0.43.05 support. After 2 years of artistic progress I've begun to loathe how the graphics set looks. It's too cutesy and clashes with the serious tone of Dwarf Fortress.

So instead, I've directed my attention to this newer graphics set. Now that this semester is finished, I can focus on curses_vector. While not as detailed as GemSet, I think this graphics set will accomplish what my ideal graphics set would do: clearly convey what things are but leave details up to the imagination of the player. No more chunky, goofy-looking dwarves sliding around the screen with a blank look on their face. Just a silhouette to convey the idea of a dwarf like ASCII does.

So while I'm still shooting for the aesthetics of that mockup, I've made one significant change. This will now be a 12x18 graphics set instead of 8x12. Here's a preview:

With 50% higher resolution I can now convey realistic human proportions (1:7 head ratio) and add more personality to each animal person. And once I vectorize these tiles to 24x36, one will be able to fit exactly 80x30 tiles onto a 1080p viewport. Perfect! I'm not throwing out my 8x12 tiles, either. I feel they can be reused for child sprites.

Now onto the last order of business...a name. It might be too early for this, but I think curses_vector is a little too stark. Current considerations for names are Bitland, Textmode, Cursey, Zeddex and Twotone. If you have any other ideas, throw them out there! It'll be a while before I christen this.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 06:34:34 am »

After 2 years of artistic progress I've begun to loathe how the graphics set looks. It's too cutesy and clashes with the serious tone of Dwarf Fortress.

So instead, I've directed my attention to this newer graphics set.
Nice! That's some impressive silhouetting with the animals, very recognizable.
Plants look good too, and I find the walls/floor surprisingly pleasant. I'm not so sure about the humanoids. Which are the dwarves? The light red ones?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 09:52:53 pm »

Thanks. I think it helped to practice in a super-low resolution before trying my hand at low-resolution silhouettes.

The dwarves are the light red ones, yes. It's tempting to add a beard to make them more recognizable, but I'd like to keep the silhouette androgynous. I'll consider beefing them up a bit, though.

daagar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 07:59:01 pm »

Can you show us an example of them vectorized? That might make the dwarves look more dwarfy. Or indicate that they do indeed need beards. Cause, dwarves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 09:02:39 pm »

Bitland!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 10:07:58 pm »

Can you show us an example of them vectorized? That might make the dwarves look more dwarfy. Or indicate that they do indeed need beards. Cause, dwarves.

Nope...doesn't make a whole lot of difference. (Below sprites are 48x72, large enough for 4k monitors.)

I'm opposed to adding beards because female dwarves don't have beards. It ruins immersion when you're, say, imagining how your female dwarf adventurer looks and you see a beard. I want to move away from stuff like that with this graphics set.

Bitland!

That's one vote for Bitland!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 05:26:54 am »

Have you considered making the dwarves shorter? I assume you went for consistency with all the humanoids, but if making all of the shorter ones shorter isn't an option, I think recognizability is more important than height consistency.
Another option might be to make the legs thicker, giving the illusion of smaller stature. On that note, it might help trying to slim down the elves (yellow are elves, brown are humans, right?) a little.
Something else to consider is varying the posture between all the creatures as a means to differentiate them.

I'm really liking this more and more the more I look at it!
Any plans for a custom color scheme?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2017, 03:12:19 pm »

"female dwarves don't have beards"

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2017, 06:13:45 pm »

Why would you post something like that?!

They don't. My dwarves don't have beards for the same reason. I like DragonDePlatino's new sprites as they are, beards aren't necessary.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 07:00:19 pm »

Heathens, into the magma with ye'!

daagar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2017, 02:24:52 pm »

Dwarves have beards. Period. But that is beside the point - I'm here to vote 'Bitland' as well.

Also, I agree with the above that maybe a shorter image, and/or stockier legs would help fix them. They are the only ones that look... off for some reason. Everything else looks excellent, and based on the vectorization example will look _really_ excellent once run through that process.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:56:02 pm by daagar »

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 02:13:23 am »

More or less the same reaction as Max™ to the female beard comments OPINIONS.

Jokes aside, I'm really excited for this tileset.
        That dwarf-bump could be interpreted as a beard or a belly.
            The best [symbolic] graphics allow the player to add their own details.

[EDIT]

+1 Bitland

haha weird how did i get over here >.<
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:19:38 am by raeborga »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9