Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: curses_vector - ∞x∞  (Read 63452 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: curses_vector - ∞x∞
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2017, 08:07:57 am »

Will there be a square version? With TWBT nowadays there is no reason not to have square graphics.

In other news I think I need to look for a good SVG rasterization library, it would be really cool if you could feed Rubble a tileset with SVG tilesheets and let it automatically generated the PNGs based on desired game resolution...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2017, 10:07:07 pm »

Hi! I'm still alive! I've been preoccupied with commissioned work and other projects but I'm still slowly plugging away at this. With the completion of creature_next_underground I'm now a little over halfway done. I haven't caught up to where I was with the 8x12 graphics but I feel the upgrade to 12x18 has been worth it. Check it out!

A while back someone suggested I use nearest-neighbor instead of hand-vectorization for the high-res versions. I'm now leaning towards that since I feel mod support is a higher priority. What do you guys think?

Will there be a square version? With TWBT nowadays there is no reason not to have square graphics.

The non-square resolution was a deliberate choice. Dwarf Fortress' minimum resolution is 80x25 tiles. When resized, each tile is 24px wide. 24 x 80 = 1920 which is exactly the width of a 1080p monitor. As for vertical space, there would be enough room for exactly 30 tiles.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2017, 12:02:52 am »

I'd say go with what's simpler to make progress on, something-for-everyone-ism is kinda already covered by GemSet, and trying to go that route again without more technical control over tile display and such just seems like madness.

I like the CLA-ish feel of those btw, or more accurately if the letter tiles had sex with these tiles the babies would be CLA tiles I think? So that's a neat effect.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 05:19:04 am »

Wow, these look good!
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2017, 05:02:15 am »

Can I include this in Armok Vision?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2017, 05:19:26 am »

Very very impressive, im surprised i never really noticed this earlier.

Perhaps a noobish question, but would it be possible to add color inversion onto the sprites as to illuminate certain details without conflicting (unintentionally) with the set base color? Beards for instance inverted in comparison to the rest of the sprite.

I really wonder what a multi-tile creature might look like with this artstyle.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2017, 12:12:33 am »

@Japa
You may!

@FantasticDorf
Ah, are you talking about making the beards black like I did with the cave troll's cloth? I'd love to but like I said on the last page, I'd like to keep the sprite pretty ambiguous as it's a stand-in for both male and female dwarves. I'll include an alt in the pack, though, if people wanna swap it out.

no_way

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 12:38:01 pm »

Hey, I've just registered to tell you that I find the mockups absolutely charming. I would be delighted to see a progress here :)

september

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2017, 02:29:32 pm »

While not as detailed as GemSet, I think this graphics set will accomplish what my ideal graphics set would do: clearly convey what things are but leave details up to the imagination of the player. No more chunky, goofy-looking dwarves sliding around the screen with a blank look on their face. Just a silhouette to convey the idea of a dwarf like ASCII does.

I think this is what really sets this graphics set apart from most other sets.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 06:12:26 am »

DragonDePlatino, are you okay with curses_vector being bundled in Lazy Newb Packs? It'd be nice to have some high-rez stuff.

I was looking for a non-square x16 Curses tilesheet earlier and remembered curses vector. It turned out that this size requires a different aspect ratio, though. Next I was going to do a x20, but the math didn't work out there either, so I tried out x18 and x21 instead.

Not tested. They are rough, so don't expect any of these 3 to look great. But in case anyone really wants one of these sizes.

Stardog765

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 09:17:17 am »

This is a really cool tileset. I have never used it but would like to try it.

I don't really understand how the sizing works with tilesets to be honest though.
What size would one need for a 1920x1080 monitor for it to show correctly?

Thanks!

AikonCWD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 12:31:41 pm »

+1 for adding those vectorized fonts into LNP :)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 02:25:03 pm »

I don't really understand how the sizing works with tilesets to be honest though.
What size would one need for a 1920x1080 monitor for it to show correctly?

The minimum size of a Dwarf Fortress window is 80 tiles wide and 25 tiles tall. Most of the time, we only need to worry about the width, though.

80 • 24 = 1920

To use a tileset with 24-pixel-wide tiles, your screen needs to be at least 1920 pixels wide to display the minimum of 80 tiles. On a smaller screen, you would either not be able to see the full window or you'd have to scale down the size of the tiles for the window to fit.

I like to play 1x1 embarks, though, so I like to pick out tile sizes based on vertical resolution. To see an entire 1x1 embark at once, you need 50 vertical tiles (48 for the embark and 2 for the UI border).

1080 / 50 = 21.6

If I want to be able to see my entire embark on a 1920x1080 monitor, I need a tileset that's 21 pixels tall or smaller. I like to go for tilesets 20-pixels tall to leave room for the task bar and the game window's border for playing in windowed-mode.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:27:09 pm by jecowa »

Stardog765

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2017, 02:27:02 pm »

Thank you sir!

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Very helpful.

encrusted bucket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »

so there is not going to be a 12x8 version of this graphic set?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9