Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: curses_vector - ∞x∞  (Read 63451 times)

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
Re: curses_vector - ∞x∞
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2017, 01:38:53 am »

I like to play 1x1 embarks, though, so I like to pick out tile sizes based on vertical resolution. To see an entire 1x1 embark at once, you need 50 vertical tiles (48 for the embark and 2 for the UI border).

1080 / 50 = 21.6

If I want to be able to see my entire embark on a 1920x1080 monitor, I need a tileset that's 21 pixels tall or smaller. I like to go for tilesets 20-pixels tall to leave room for the task bar and the game window's border for playing in windowed-mode.

This is good advice.
I've never considered doing 1x1 embarks...

I realize this isn't really on-topic... Just wanted to say thanks.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:33:20 am by raeborga »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2017, 01:43:03 am »

With the coming of Christmas break, I've found more time to poke at this project! Here's a preview for a couple of items:

Overall I'm using GemSet as a model for how most of the items will look. I've already got a baseline for how the different clothes, ores, etc. will be told apart so I'm not gonna re-invent the wheel! It also helps that I have a nice visual guide to which IDs match up to which subtypes. All of the organizational work is out of the way so I can just focus on the art.

DragonDePlatino, are you okay with curses_vector being bundled in Lazy Newb Packs? It'd be nice to have some high-rez stuff.

Apologies for the late reply but yes! I'll go ahead and tack on a Creative Commons license onto the first post to clear up any future confusion.

so there is not going to be a 12x8 version of this graphic set?

I'm afraid not. I did a lot of work in 8x12 and it was a hard decision to start over. In the end it means I have a lot more breathing room for detail and things will fit on 16:9 monitors while keeping the vanilla tile ratio.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2017, 02:02:58 am »

Hey folks, I'd like some feedback and help with workshops. I want to completely overhaul all of the vanilla workshops for Bitlands but I need to know my limitations before I can move forward. I've checked the raws and token explanations on the wiki but I'm still confused.

Butcher's shop, metalsmith's forge, fishery, ASCII as examples.

All of the workshops will be color-coded by industry and have border tiles to help separate adjacent workshops. They will be built out of modular pieces that can be reused to save texture space and provide a base for modders. What I'd like to know is:

1. Can you change the tiles of vanilla workshops? Ideally, I'd like to change them to use 9 unique characters (pictured right) so the TWBT overrides can make each a unique tile.

2. Where can I find a comprehensive list of all the workshops? I always go by raws instead of the wiki so I have the official ordering. For creatures I use the regex \[CREATURE:.*\] and go down the list. With workshops I've tried \[BUILDING:.*:.*\] but that gives me reactions instead of building definitions. I also see lots of strange tags not listed there like CUSTOM_T, CUSTOM_R, etc...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:05:23 am by DragonDePlatino »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2017, 02:35:25 am »

Some of the workshops are hardcoded sorry, you could try emailing Toady to see if you could query more into it (or make a donation for a whisper in their ear to add workshop files into the next few versions), looks excellent though i would definitely look around for any third party, or reconsider altering your designs to be in-line with the ASCII tilesets as unique tiles might not be possible.

CUSTOM_R etc. are hotkeys for non-hardcoded reactions so that modding players can set their own keys.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2017, 03:12:11 am »

Text will be text is the only option currently for changing workshop tiles.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2017, 03:47:55 am »

Hey folks, I'd like some feedback and help with workshops. I want to completely overhaul all of the vanilla workshops for Bitlands.

Spoiler: mockup workshops (click to show/hide)
Butcher's shop, metalsmith's forge, fishery, ASCII as examples.
Those look great! I like the color-coding.

All of the workshops will have border tiles to help separate adjacent workshops.
From what I can tell, this is impossible for a normal graphics pack.

1. Can you change the tiles of vanilla workshops? Ideally, I'd like to change them to use 9 unique characters (pictured right) so the TWBT overrides can make each a unique tile.
It might be possible with the Soap Workshop using building_custom.txt, but I don't think you can do this with most workshops, except maybe with DFHacking.

2. Where can I find a comprehensive list of all the workshops?
The closest thing I can think of is to build them all in-game and use DFHack and Clément's /hack/script/ .lua file to lookup clues for the TWBT override codes.

I always go by raws instead of the wiki so I have the official ordering.
What does the ordering do?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2017, 03:59:49 am »

There's no real reason for the ordering. It's just to keep things organized and consistent with mod support (because workshops will be done in the order defined in the raws and some mods lack wiki documentation). But if there's no real ordering outside of DFHack trickery, I guess I'll just stick with the order specified on the TWBT page.

It's fine that this is impossible for normal graphics packs. Like GemSet, Bitlands will not work without TWBT so I don't mind needing it or another 3rd party script to modify the workshop tiles at runtime. As long as there's some way to modify the vanilla layouts of the hardcoded workshops to the example I showed, that's all I need. If you know any existing scripts to modify workshops please share them!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:01:32 am by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2017, 04:06:04 am »

As Jecowa said, only possible for the soap maker at the moment. I guess you have to ask mifki... he is working on creature transparency at the moment. So there are certainly improvements to TWBT that are still in the making.

How detailed will you do it in the end? I always thought GemSet covered everything, but lately I looked into trees more and suddenly I have close to a full tileset of 256 new tiles just for trees. It's crazy, they have so many sub-tiles like leaves, woods, pollen, seeds, flowers, fruits, picked fruits, saplings, dead saplings... unique for pretty much every tree.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2017, 06:46:49 pm »

There's no real reason for the ordering. It's just to keep things organized and consistent with mod support (because workshops will be done in the order defined in the raws and some mods lack wiki documentation). But if there's no real ordering outside of DFHack trickery, I guess I'll just stick with the order specified on the TWBT page.

Maybe you could just use the order the game itself lists them? Siege Engines before Workshops before Furnaces, etc
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2017, 11:11:41 pm »

PTW

christopherd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2018, 03:12:32 pm »

Hey @DragonDePlatino, what happened to this tileset? It looks amazing. Right now I prefer to use the default curses ASCII but that preview makes me actually want to use a tileset! I know it's been a year, what news?

christopherd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2018, 03:29:01 pm »

This looks AMAZING! I have a retina (15.4-inch, 2880 x 1800) display and even though I loved the look and shape (not square, for some reason I like that) and glyphs of the original curses tileset (and have played several hundred hours using it), the slight blurriness and the loss of detail from staying zoomed out with it was beginning to bother me. I started using this tileset, and it has all the same pros, without the resolution problems. I have a few suggestions in the same vein as your original post: make a special graphic for tables, chairs, barrels, and chopped wood. Anyway, thanks!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2018, 06:54:34 pm »

Any plans for an 800_600 version?

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2018, 05:05:56 am »

Great work.
I don't think i'll ever be ready to move up to 48x72 and lose the additional information provided by increased tilecount, but this certainly is beautiful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(truetype was disabled in init.txt in order avoid black outlines around text while using custom colors)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:09:47 am by Lord Snow »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2018, 01:57:14 am »

Would it be possible to apply the latest current graphic-pack science and have a subtle graphical deviation in this style based on the material of individual objects? A log and rough rock wall sprite to differentiate for instance.

You'd have to ask meph about their methods though on how they managed to achieve this with the elbow grease behind creating a expanded set of graphics.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9