Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: curses_vector - ∞x∞  (Read 63466 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: curses_vector - ∞x∞
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2018, 12:42:54 am »

I'd be happy to test a few things here and there. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2018, 08:17:36 pm »

Another update here! I was hoping to start on the overrides but there was one last roadblock I needed to get out of the way...inorganics. Stone and soil will be handled like they were in GemSet but with a few new additions.

(From left to right)
Oceanic soil, clay, sand, topsoil, sedimentary, intrusive, extrusive, metamorphic, flux, fuel, plaster, building, slade
low, medium, high-value tiles for ores, opals, prisms, clusters and adamantine.

I'm hoping that by breaking up everything into categories, things will be made easier for the player. You'll should be able to immediately tell the value and industry of a stone based off its appearance. In addition, the background of a stone changes based on its heat-resistance. Flammable, fire-resistant and magma-resistant stones have white, silver and gray backgrounds respectively. Lastly, the ores are color-coded by the kind of metal they produce whether that be iron (maroon), nickel (teal), tin (black), etc.

Overall, the only thing I'm not happy with is how hard it is to see "black" materials like obsidian and coal. Dark blue is used substitute for black throughout the tileset and it's just barely visible against the black background. I'm hoping that people fix this problem themselves by using color schemes instead of rolling with the default colors.

I'd be happy to test a few things here and there. :)

Alright, I'll mark you down for testing when it comes time for that. If anyone else is interested you can drop a reply here. Primarily, I just need people to make sure the patcher works and take some screenshots in adventure and fort mode for me.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2018, 11:57:17 pm »

Would be happy to help with testing too, I'm not a pro though, mostly I play adventure mode.

september

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2018, 03:43:53 am »

I would love to help test as well!

Nikitaw99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2018, 04:11:04 pm »

I'd like to test too.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2018, 03:29:11 am »

TC, how is it going?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2018, 09:45:13 pm »

Alright then, four testers sounds like it'll be good enough! I'll be sending out DMs to Meph, Wokko, september and Nikitaw99 once the tileset is finished. Once Bitlands has been tested I'll be putting up a thread and throwing up the tileset+installer on GitHub.

Progress has been going smoothly. I've finished writing the 2500+ item and tile overrides which covers absolutely everything TWBT allows you to change except for buildings and workshops. As stated previously, Bitlands will not feature workshop overrides until I draw those and mifki adds proper workshop support. I will, however, be adding all of the single-tile buildings as well as multi-tile ones like axles and bridges.

With this semifinal update, I thought I'd highlight one of the biggest time-savers in Bitlands: the Python scripts. This is one of the more technical aspects so if you can't program then don't worry, this won't interfere with how you use the tileset and you can ignore this.

Code: (overrides.py) [Select]
def floor(name, pos, varied, uniform=0):
x = pos[0]
y = pos[1]
prefix = ['Light', 'Dark', 'Dry', 'Dead'] if 'Grass' in name else ['']
for i in range(4):
for p in prefix:
tiles[x + i][y].append('%s%sFloor%s:%s' % (name, p, i + 1, varied[i]))

if uniform and uniform != varied[i]:
tiles[x + i][y].append('%s%sFloor%s:%s' % (name, p, i + 1, uniform))

Defined in overrides.py are a bunch of functions like this which allow me to quickly generate all overrides of a type. You input the tile type of the floor, the position on the tileset and what the varied/uniform tiles of the floor are. The function generates all of the overrides in a simplified format like "GrassLightFloor:46" and adds it to a giant 2D array called tiles[][]. In the final step (not shown) the script iterates through tiles[][] and writes all the overrides in it. An example output after calling floor('Grass', [8, 4], [46, 44, 96, 39], 46):

Code: (overides.txt) [Select]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassLightFloor1:tiles:72]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDarkFloor1:tiles:72]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDryFloor1:tiles:72]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDeadFloor1:tiles:72]
[OVERRIDE:44:T:GrassLightFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassLightFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:44:T:GrassDarkFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDarkFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:44:T:GrassDryFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDryFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:44:T:GrassDeadFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDeadFloor2:tiles:73]
[OVERRIDE:96:T:GrassLightFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassLightFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:96:T:GrassDarkFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDarkFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:96:T:GrassDryFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDryFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:96:T:GrassDeadFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDeadFloor3:tiles:74]
[OVERRIDE:39:T:GrassLightFloor4:tiles:75]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassLightFloor4:tiles:75]
[OVERRIDE:39:T:GrassDarkFloor4:tiles:75]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDarkFloor4:tiles:75]
[OVERRIDE:39:T:GrassDryFloor4:tiles:75]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDryFloor4:tiles:75]
[OVERRIDE:39:T:GrassDeadFloor4:tiles:75]
[OVERRIDE:46:T:GrassDeadFloor4:tiles:75]

Bootstrapping like this instead of directly writing overrides has a number of advantages: it allows me to specify the x, y coordinates of tiles rather than the absolute tile indexes, so it's easy to update positions if I move something in the tileset. It makes writing overrides more organized and less error-prone than writing them one-by-one. Things like ANY_ENCASED variations or material tags can be automatically generated. If I want to add, say, more wall materials it's as simple as adding one more line to the script.

All of the scripts used to generate Bitlands will be included in the download in case people want to modify them for their own tileset.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2018, 03:34:07 am »

Hehe, you even made sprites for the ANY_ENCASED ice/obsidian items?  :-)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2018, 10:43:59 am »

Kind of! All the encased objects use the standard item sprites, but with the fg/bg color changed to black/purple (obsidian) and white/cyan (ice). I've been using your tileset as a comprehensive list of everything I need to override so a huge thanks for being so thorough with that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2018, 10:57:29 am »

If you figure out how to do specific bodyparts/meats (what I'm working on atm), let me know. I want to do different skins for skins, hair, nerves, brains, lungs, livers, etc. I managed to get it to work for specific creatures (dog:liver for example), but not for livers in general.

But I think there are still many options, especially with japas materials and variety additions.

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2018, 01:09:59 pm »

I love you man, this is exactly what I was looking for: Some crispy quality font for menu texts (to use with TWBT) with no shades, beards or any weird stuff to upgrade from standard curses!

Any chance that you can make a 12x18 version of the font? 8x12 is too small and 16x24 is a bit too big.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:30:57 pm by KurzedMetal »
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2018, 02:17:27 pm »

Thanks! I've always wanted a standard curses upgrade and I'm glad I could fill that niche.

I've gone ahead and updated the main download with a 12x18 version. Unfortunately, it's a bit blurry because that's an export to 1.5x the default size. If you'd like a crisp, hand-drawn version, that's actually what Bitlands will use. If you want that now, here's my interpretation of curses at 12x18:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:19:37 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2018, 08:44:47 pm »

Hi, how is the work going?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:57 pm »

Work has been a bit rocky lately. I just got around to setting up TWBT and testing what I've added so far (everything but workshops and half of the buildings). Some of my overrides aren't displaying correctly and my installer is failing to patch entities with certain names. My current focus is on ironing out every bug I can find myself and adding the remainder of the buildings. Once Bitlands is in a presentable state, I'll be sending it off to my testers one-by-one so we can polish this tileset to a mirror shine. :D

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2018, 11:04:51 pm »

Good luck dealing with bugs, the tileset is definitely going to be awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9