Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: curses_vector - ∞x∞  (Read 63465 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: curses_vector - ∞x∞
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2018, 04:02:39 pm »

Take your time.

I found a few new overrides, like specific bodyparts from the butcher (brain, lung, liver, etc), and I managed to get rotten meat take a different sprite than meat. Still trying to figure out of I can manage that for different stages of rotting bodyparts like arms, legs, etc. too. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

encrusted bucket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2018, 01:10:46 pm »

i have waited almost 2 years, release when

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2018, 05:00:33 pm »

lol, you should have asked that 2 years ago.
I guess, he works on it, you're rude tho.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2018, 05:15:12 pm »

I found a few new overrides, like specific bodyparts from the butcher (brain, lung, liver, etc), and I managed to get rotten meat take a different sprite than meat. Still trying to figure out of I can manage that for different stages of rotting bodyparts like arms, legs, etc. too. :)

Glad to hear! I've been struggling to get even the basic CORPSEPIECE override working properly, but if I can manage that I might add a few different material variations.

i have waited almost 2 years, release when

The wait shall be over soon...Everything is inserted and like 99.9% of it works, I just need to fix the few remaining quirks like mining designations, pedestals, teeth, etc. After that it's testing time! Here's a sneak peak of how it all looks in-game so far:

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2018, 09:11:48 pm »

Wow, looks awesome.
A little suggestion though: humans & dwarves imo look better with black pixels as eyes, otherwise they're kind of hard to notice among other tiles. I liked the previous style dwarves more, but you can draw it as you want though.

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:28:22 am by Wokko »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2018, 01:31:30 am »

I agree with Wokko that the eyelessness makes creatures (even the non-humanoids) harder to distinguish as such. If this is a stylistic choice, it would be nice with an alternative version with eyes, unless of course this would be too much work for it to be plausible.

Otherwise this all looks great (been looking forward to a sneakpeak like this), my only irks are that void-tiles look a little to solid, and that downslopes don't look like upside-down upslopes, but the latter is probably just a matter of what you are used to.

How do FBs and other random beasts look by the way, do they take the shape of a differently colored standard creature, or are they controlled by some different ingenius mechanism?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2018, 12:46:45 pm »

Wow, looks awesome.
A little suggestion though: humans & dwarves imo look better with black pixels as eyes, otherwise they're kind of hard to notice among other tiles. I liked the previous style dwarves more, but you can draw it as you want though.

I agree, I liked how the old creatures looked compared to the current ones. The problem is, giving creatures eyes messes with the upscaling algorithm I want to use for the 24x36 graphics. The xBR algorithm works well with big blocks of color but can look messy when you add small 1-pixel details like eyes. An example:

Whether or not I add eyes to the creatures depends on whether people want the sharp or smooth upscaled version. The downside to smooth is no eyes, the downside to sharp is I'm spending time maintaining something people could do themselves in an image editor. For now, here's an impromptu strawpoll where people can give their input:

How should the 2x version of Bitlands look?

Otherwise this all looks great (been looking forward to a sneakpeak like this), my only irks are that void-tiles look a little to solid, and that downslopes don't look like upside-down upslopes, but the latter is probably just a matter of what you are used to.

How do FBs and other random beasts look by the way, do they take the shape of a differently colored standard creature, or are they controlled by some different ingenius mechanism?

I'll make the void tiles less solid and change the downward slopes into down arrows like vanilla. There's nothing special going on with the procgen creatures, unfortunately. Just a massive amount of brute-force overrides to make them all use the same tile.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2018, 11:35:41 am »

With eyes looks better in my opinion.

Have you seen how I handled the procedual creatures?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2018, 11:29:42 pm »

How is it going? Is it finished, and now only some polishing is left?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2018, 02:56:51 pm »

How should the 2x version of Bitlands look?

I prefer eyes as well, but I also prefer the sharp upscaling to the smoothed one. I'd feel that way even if it didn't force you to ignore fine details.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:54:07 pm by Taffer »

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2018, 10:06:32 pm »

PTW.

Big fan.

Vector graphics are how all tilesets and graphics sets should be done from now on.

Especially since these can easily be translated to square tiles.

Keep up the good work!

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2018, 11:47:59 pm »

Hey DDP, how is the tileset?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2018, 10:54:20 am »

Vector graphics are how all tilesets and graphics sets should be done from now on.

Especially since these can easily be translated to square tiles.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! And yeah, if someone ever wanted to adapt Bitlands into a square tileset that could probably be done with minimal work or even a script.

Hey DDP, how is the tileset?

Slow going at the moment, I've got some college work creeping up on me so that's been my focus at the moment. The tileset has been mostly cleaned up save a few edge cases like track designations, traffic designations, missing building animations and a few other things.

Wokko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2018, 10:21:21 pm »

I wonder what comes out first: new df update, or bitlands.
I hope both.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2018, 03:32:42 pm »

Most likely Bitlands...!

I'm pleased to announce that Bitlands is now FINISHED and has moved into the beta testing phase. There were a lot of minor issues like designations conflicting with wall tiles and and my file-copying routines failing on Windows 10, but everything I could find has now been fixed. Now it's just a matter of sending it out to my testers one-by-one and finding everything that could go wrong with the 15,000+ overrides it has.

And with that, this will be the last Bitlands-related update I'll be making in this topic. I'll be starting work on a new thread and getting everything together to throw up on GitHub. See you then!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9