Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cook/Brew/(Mill) Allow Type  (Read 1546 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cook/Brew/(Mill) Allow Type
« on: October 31, 2016, 04:44:56 pm »

Sometimes, you don't want to fuss with the individual plant species that get carted through your fort's doors; sometimes you just want something along the lines of:

Fruit: Allow Brew, Disallow Cook
Plants (Other): Disallow Brew
Eggs: Disallow Cook

With these category-wide defaults in place, you wouldn't have to keep a watchful eye on every new plant that gets gather or egg that gets laid in order to tweak the kitchen menu accordingly.  Your dorfs would simply know: leave all eggs alone, unless otherwise specified.  The kitchen menu could probably be rearranged to somewhat mimic the stock-piles menu, with Enable > Allow > Permit giving easier control over cooking permissions.

On a side-note, If milling does get added to the kitchen menu, I'd request somehow separating out the categories of dye-plants and non-dye plants.  That way, a player can choose whether to mill general flours, or general dyes, or either/neither.

El_Stono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cook/Brew/(Mill) Allow Type
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 06:55:23 am »

I thought about this yesterday, and I think there are three different necessary changes in the kitchen menu:

• Change of a few default cooking/brewing settings, especially for new players
    Like disallowing cooking for drinks and tallow
  • The possibility of allowing/disallowing entire categories
    Like Batgirl said, this would make the kitchen menu more easily manageable
  • The addition of Milling, pressing (and probably processing?) columns in the kitchen menu
    This gives us more control and more Information about available plants, we would know in an instant what the different processing options for each individual plant are and could control them accordingly

I know that the cooking system (and possibly any system  ;) ) is not final and will see big overhauls, but I don't know if the planned changes will include the menu.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:58:08 am by El_Stono »

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:05 pm »

I definitely agree that there should be a bit more control over what plants are milled. Especially if a fort is [at least sort of] a plantation, it's frustrating to see your millers wasting empty bags on flour and dwarven sugar instead of dye. We can already micro this somewhat by choosing which stockpiles the quern or millstone used accepts from, but that's pretty clunky and has its own issues.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 01:53:52 pm »

I've been having the same issue, and the same solution would work.

Designate a bunch of plants to harvest because we're out of booze, tell the kitchen not to cook them because they're new and hope they didn't get there first, then brew them, then tell the kitchen not to cook the new boozes, because they haven't seen those yet either.

If we can't get the defaults changed to not cook everything by default, can we at least get a brewable/booze tag to disallow cooking for (meaning the kitchen would ignore anything they could brew, like masons ignore economic stone)? They same could be applied to other processable foods, like milk or seeds. The products can be cooked without me specifying anything, but I'd need to tell them to specifically cook milk instead of waiting for cheese if I wanted that for some reason.

El_Stono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 04:34:04 pm »

I thought that this Topic is relevant again with the upcoming Steam release and the focus on quality of life improvements. I'll list the issues I see in the cooking menu and the ideas to fix them:

New players run often into the problem that they accidentally use up all their drinks for cooking
  • Possible solution: drinks are not allowed for cooking on default
There is no way to control the usage of pig tails and similar multi purpose plants for papermaking and other non cooking jobs
  • Possible solution: add the option to allow / disallow milling, pressing and processing of plants in the kitchen menu.
  • Side effect: Creates an ingame knowledge base for which plant can be used for what
Everything in the kitchen menu can only be allowed / disallowed when it is on site, which requires a lot of micromanagement after trading (halting cooking jobs to prevent the usage of newly brewed alcohol, then disallowing all of the new drinks, etc.)
  • Possible solution: The ability to allow / disallow entire categories of food (fruit, plants, milk, tallow, etc.) for different purposes (brewing, cooking, etc.), similar to stockpile management

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 06:44:29 pm »

There is no way to control the usage of pig tails and similar multi purpose plants for papermaking and other non cooking jobs
  • Possible solution: add the option to allow / disallow milling, pressing and processing of plants in the kitchen menu.

You could also do this with work orders if we had job details to select plant type on the relevant workshops.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?