Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The X-COM Files - fight the future (with heavy weapons)  (Read 7210 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
The X-COM Files - fight the future (with heavy weapons)
« on: October 31, 2016, 04:46:12 pm »

Let's play X-COM: Mulder never had an autocannon edition

Hello and welcome to yet another X-COM LP! This time, though, I'm doing something just a bit different from the usual fare. I'm going to be using SolariusScorch's excellent X-COM Files mod, which does some interesting things to the game.

Read all about it here - but the general gist is that X-COM begins as an underfunded investigative agency in 1997, and has to deal with all sorts of weird shenanigans going on in the world that, surprise surprise, point to alien involvement. It boasts a huge amount of content: new weapons, enemies, factions, mission types, and more all appear in the game.

Fair warning - this might be a bit slow going, because I'm a bit busy, but I couldn't resist giving this mod a shot. It'll be a screenshot LP, similar to my old TFTD run. So, in that vein, what I need from you all is this:
  • Our base's name
  • Its location
  • The name/background of our organization's fearless leader
In the early game, base location is less crucial than in vanilla - X-COM doesn't actually start with massive radar dishes, instead relying on a global network of agents and on watching the news to come up with locations of interest. Location will only determine who we can respond to the fastest - and early-game, our fastest is in fact very slow, relying on public transport and privately-owned cars.

Also, if you want an agent, give me their name and any fluff you care to come up with and I'll get you on the roster whenever space allows.

And remember...the truth is out there.

Spoiler: Agents (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:12:59 am by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The X-COM Files - fight the future (with heavy weapons)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:52:40 pm »

Spoiler: Dossier - Zoku, Han (click to show/hide)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:46:29 am »

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 01:19:16 am »

Spoiler: Base Details (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dossier-The Drifter (click to show/hide)
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 01:42:04 am »

I'm always up for some X-Com.

Spoiler: Agent Details (click to show/hide)

@Greatness942's base details +1
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:49:50 pm »

So, right now we're sitting at 2 votes for Greatness942's idea and we have 4 agents, which is actually enough to start given low initial squad sizes. I'll give it a bit, and then if no new ideas/people crop up I'll start.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:48:18 pm »

Room for one more?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 10:27:35 pm »

Of course there is. Alright, I'll get everything set up and start the LP proper soonTM!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 05:32:09 am »

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 10:18:58 pm »

And it is time for UPDATE #1!

A quick note - This will be a partially narrative LP, with my commentary punctuated by IC speech and other things from the characters. With that, let's go!

Update #1

Welcome to Secrecy! Web of Secrecy wouldn't fit in the text box, sorry. Nice neighborhood, good schools, and best of all, completely Xeno free! Let's get up to speed on our mission and our support staff.

This will be a bit of a lore dump - skip the spoiler if you don't care for that sort of thing.

Spoiler: LORE ALERT (click to show/hide)

Now it's time for our early-game purchases.

It's not worth buying scientists now - we can't build labs until much later, and our base can only support 5 researching simultaneously right now.

Now you might have noticed something odd about this purchase order - yes, this mod adds one of the most basic tools of any good investigator, the flashlight. And it doubles as a melee weapon!

As for starting research, have a gander:

Personal Protection is absolutely key - it unlocks basic armor and improves the longevity of our agents.

//BEGIN PERSONAL LOG - DIRECTOR ALAN WISE//

Well, everyone's gotten all settled in - but we only have two field agents so far.
More are on the way, but for now we'll have to deal with this Zoku character and
some lady who insists on wearing a red shirt everywhere. Not sure what that's about,
really. That all aside, they need to be good - we need to work fast to prove to
the UN bigwigs that there is something out there, and they don't have
our best interests in mind. Hopefully something comes up soon.

//END LOG//

Sorry about not getting you all in right away, but the game gave me two agents, and one of them is a woman. Soon as the fresh tactical ablative armor rookies come in you'll be dorfed proper.

Speaking of the two agents, they'll be getting a workout, because here comes...

This is one of the new mission types. Usually on a small-ish map, X-COM agents are tasked with apprehending cultists or other ne'er-do-wells in order to further their investigations into various illicit organizations.

So, Han Zoku and Miss Redshirt Brianna Kay get an all-expenses paid trip to LA! Join X-COM, see the world! and die a horrible agonizing death but we don't talk about that part

//BEGIN BRIEFING LOG - OPERATION RETARIUS//

ATTENDING:
- HAN ZOKU

- BRIANNA KAY

BRIEFER: All right, everyone here - oh, its only you two. All right, here's what we know.

BRIEFER: We've got agents of a shadowy criminal organization known only as EXALT skulking around LA.
We've got their location narrowed down to a pretty small area - that's where you come in.

What's an "EXALT", sir?

BRIEFER: Not much to go on there, son. The UN put this one on our plate without giving us much info. If I
were more suspicious, I'd say...never mind. Bring one back alive and we'll see what we can tell you, all right?

Sounds good, sir. C'mon, Brianna. Let's go bag us some crooks.

Right behind you.

//END LOG//

And they're off! Early game, transport times are painfully long, so night-fighting equipment is important - but equally important is knowing when to cut and run. A few corpses are generally not worth dead agents.

//BEGIN BATTLESCAPE TACTICAL RECORDING//

ASSIGNED TO OPERATION:

- HAN ZOKU

- BRIANNA KAY

Alright, let's check out this first building. I'm on point.

Nothing here - wait. This door's open...

BANG BANG BANG

Crazy bastard jumped out at me! He looks like he's alive.

Hey, Han, you're, ah, bleeding.

Must have grazed me. There's gotta be more of them - let's keep looking.

This building's a wash. Let's move and check the other one out.

CONTACT! I'll take him!

Wha - is that a knife? Seriously?

THUD

Tango down. Let's bag 'em and tag 'em. Shame no aliens, though. I wanted to see one so bad...

//END BATTLESCAPE TACTICAL RECORDING//

So that could have gone a bit better, but I'll take one wounded over one killed. Prisoners are good early game, as interrogations unlock more storylines and research. And, of course, since promotion = dying less, I'll always take that.

And that's the first episode! Early on I'll focus in on individual missions like this, but later as they start to pile up I might back out a bit and just stick to documenting important ones. Let me know what you think - sorry again about not dorfing everyone right away, but you'll be in for the next op.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 11:37:36 pm »

I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 12:14:28 am »

PTW

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 09:24:02 am »

Looks like an interesting mod. I'm in!

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 01:40:47 am »

Ptw
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 06:32:01 pm »

I am always down for some old fashioned alien killing:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:54:23 pm by Rince Wind »
Pages: [1] 2 3