Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The X-COM Files - fight the future (with heavy weapons)  (Read 7173 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: The X-COM Files - fight the future (with heavy weapons)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:44 pm »

Update #2

No rest for the wicked, because look what popped up as soon as the crew got back:

Going on today's road trip is the King George IX and Darkening Kaos buddy-cop duo! One's convinced he's the rightful king of England! The other thinks he was hired on as a janitor! Together, they purge xenos!

//BEGIN BATTLESCAPE TACTICAL RECORDING//

ASSIGNED TO OPERATION:

KING GEORGE IX

DARKENING KAOS

King George IX: I say, old chap, what a lovely night for a hunt! A bit of sport, you know? "Most Dangerous Game" and all that.

Darkening Kaos: Uh, hunting? I thought we were being contracted out for a spot of cleaning work.

King George IX: A clever euphemism, dear boy! Cleaning, in this instance, means ruthlessly running down the enemy like the dogs
they are and watching as the vitality drains from their very being! Jolly exciting! Just like back in merry old England!

Darkening Kaos: Ah, sure. Yeah. Whatever you say. Let's just finish up and get back to base. I've got reruns of Friends to catch up on.

Darkening Kaos: Got one! Hang on...

Darkening Kaos: He's down.

King George XI: Nothing like a bit of bloodsport to get the adrenaline flowing, hm?

Darkening Kaos. I hear something...there's at least one more around. Where could he be?

Darkening Kaos: Fuckin' finally! Eat shit and die, wanker!

BANG BANG BANG

//END BATTLESCAPE TACTICAL RECORDING//

'

That wraps that one up. Kind of irritated that I couldn't get captures - but the first kill was actually on reaction fire, and the second the guy was so close that he would have gotten a bit stabby next turn. Well, maybe time for some -

GODFREAKINGDAMMIT CULTISTS WHY ARE YOU EVERYWHERE. Well, time to load up the ol' X-COM silver coupe and get back on the road.

This mission starring Joachim Duncker, secret Nazi drunkard, and Mapother II, international man of mystery!

And for those wondering where Niamey is, it's here. Middle of Africa. Bloody cultists. But, before the plane touches down...

We've got modest armor! Wish this had happened pre-mission, but oh well. Essentially, leather coats provide the most basic protection possible - they might, and I emphasize might, save you from a melee attack.

Back to the operation at hand, here's who we're up against:

Church of Dagon, huh? Now, where have I head that name before? Dagon, Dagon...oh. Well, hope you lot liked TFTD, because guess where we're headed eventually! T'leth beckons...

Our weirdly identical heroes, everyone.

Duncker: Vell, here ve *hic* are. Now vere could zey be...

Mapother: Let's get to searching.

Duncker: Zere's somebody up zere...

Mapother: Did he just jump off...

Duncker: Hey! Hey, you! Have you seen Hermann Fegelein?

Mapother: Wha-Fegelein? He's been dead for - God knows how long at this point!

Cultist: Fegelein? Uh, no, no Fegelein around here. Say, would you be interested in our lord and savior, Dagon the fish god?

ZZAP

Mapother: Going by the reports, there's at least one other around here -

Duncker: Got him. Didn't know anything about Fegelein? Feh. Liars, all. I'll get ze truth eventually...

Another case solved by Joachim Duncker, secret Nazi!

And I'm gonna call it here for now - next update probably tomorrow!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:21:17 am by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 11:51:37 pm »

Pretty cool!
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 11:59:26 pm »

Nice successful missions, excellent.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 02:02:52 am »

Nice work, GentlemanRaptor, great teamwork between me and the pommie git.  But geez, I really hate the bug hunts, {one of the reasons I never finished tftd}.
     And if I didn't go through a whole magazine of ammo on that second guy, obviously need to try harder, because that last statement of the mission was absolutely spot on.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 04:15:07 pm »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 03:24:55 am »

Spoiler: Personal Log, Han Zoku (click to show/hide)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 12:49:17 am »

Sorry for the unexpected delay - very busy. Should be able to put the update up soon-ish - the gameplay is done, it's just getting the pictures together.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 03:00:17 pm »

Update #3

And we've got more hostiles sighted already! There really are no breaks for our team of rejects and crackpots heroic, indispensable agents!

We'll be sending Anja Galena and Brion Drake on this one. The leather jackets aren't quite in yet, so they'll have to make do.

Conveniently, Tasmania is right in our backyard, so it's just a short hop on a puddle-jumper for our agents.

Our two dapper heroes.

Who recognizes this tileset? Yep, the TFTD tilesets are in here, and they're blended in with the regular ones pretty well. Makes for some nice variety.

Drake: Alright, let's do this by the numbers. Check your corners, and stay frosty.

Galena: This isn't Aliens, Drake. And besides, the Drake in that movie kicked it as soon as they ran into a Xenomorph.

Drake: ...given the circumstances, yeah, probably not wise to tempt fate that way. But these guys aren't aliens. I think.

Galena: Yeah. Can't wait to get my hands on a live alien, though. Oh, they'll pay…

Drake: Moving right on, let's get to searching the area.

Galena: Hold it! I see one -

BANG BANG BANG

Drake: We need to take them alive! And maybe not cause collateral damage that makes it immediately obvious that a secret government agency was here!

Galena: Look, another one!

Drake: Hold fire! Follow my lead and move up. We need to take this one in.

Galena: Yeah, yeah. I know how an investigation works. We need leads that are better than just corpses. I'll try not to start any fires with my taser.

Drake: Hold here. We wait for him to come to us.

Drake: And...now!

ZZAP

Drake: Nice work. Just...ease off on the trigger-happy stuff, yeah? Most field agents and soldiers don't take kindly to random explosions.

Galena: Yeah. Yeah, I'll keep that in mind.

Another happy ending. It's worth noting that neither hostile on this map had firearms - they were both carrying electrical stun rods, just like the ones X-COM uses for live capture. Lots of early-game enemies favor melee, to make early-game captures less painful (and lethal).

Fortunately, the coats and a new shotgun for Drake came in shortly after the op, so on the next mission we'll be well equipped.

And our hangar is done! Now we can send three teams away at once, as soon as we get a new car for the hangar.

And there we are. Our operational flexibility is now a whole lot better, and being able to tackle three missions at once will be very useful when we start getting hit with multiple simultaneous ops.

And now, I get to show off a mission added in a recent update to the mod - cattle mutilation missions! A classic element of UFO lore, these missions see your agents tasked to investigate, well, a cattle mutilation. Exactly what it says on the tin.

Han Zoku, FBI superstar and tinfoil-hat owner, and King George IX, victim of a glitch on Ancestry.com (and possibly brain damage), will be handling this one.

This one's also right in our backyards, conveniently. Bloody aliens! Get out of Australia!

So we're actually going in to abduct local civilians who may have seen what was going on. Let's lock and load! (N.B. The time limit isn't quite working as yet, but the mission is easily completable in ten turns anyhow.)

The wonderful, swanky leather jackets now adorn our agents.

King George IX: Well, time for a jolly old manhunt! They'll give up soon as they lay eyes on me!

Zoku: Ah, sure, George. Whatever you say.

King George IX: It's "Your Majesty", "Your Highness", or "Sir", to you, peasant. Mind your tongue.

Zoku: ...yeah. Let's just get going.

Zoku: Well, they weren't kidding when they said the cow was mutilated. Poor thing's had its head torn off!

King George IX: Well, old chap, let's get moving. I'll check the left side, and you take the right. If you see an unruly peasant, just shout!

Zoku: Yeah, I've got nothing. George?

King George XI: I've found one! Ungrateful serf! Get over here!

Urist McCivilan: The light...no! You're one of them! You won't take me!

King George XI: He's headed your way, old chap!

Zoku: Hold still…

ZZAP

Zoku: Got him. Wait, I hear someone…

Zoku: Gah! Where'd you come from! Hey! Get back here!

ZZAP

Zoku: Stop resisting!

That's a wrap, boys. Two traumatized civilians abducted by a shady government agency for interrogation! Hooray for X-COM!

And we have Kevlar now!

Alright, gonna call it here. New update soon!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 06:25:05 pm »

Excellent!

How long before the game starts killing off agents like extras in a movie?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 06:27:38 pm »

Can't wait to see my agent (die?) in action. :)
*grabs popcorn

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 06:58:58 pm »

Bloody aliens! Get out of Australia!
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Also PTW I guess.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:13 pm »

Excellent!

How long before the game starts killing off agents like extras in a movie?

Right about when we start getting "monsters of the week" and cultist bases. Some of those encounters can be nasty, especially with the gimped weaponry X-COM starts with. Getting the van unlocked is an important early-game step, as bringing 4 meat-shields fresh recruits is always better than two.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »

I've gotten this mod thanks to you GR, and dear god, yes, Cult Safehouses, the immediate upgrade, can be brutal already. Also, Zombies, one of the Envi Alerts, in early game are ridiculously bullet-spongey until you are granted the divine powers of the Most Holy Magnum, although they are more of a waste of ammo than a threat.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »

Zombies are painful to go through for almost the entire early + early-mid game for me. Getting ~>10 zombies on a map, some being tank versions, is the bane of my existence.
They're not particularly difficult to fight, but they take forever to kill. I usually have to use 3-5 soldiers to kill a single regular zombie in one turn, assuming I have okay luck aiming-wise.

And the best cultist bases are the ones where you land facing the base and amassed cultists. So much death.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Solarius Scorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Intergalactic Radio Station
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 07:02:34 am »

I can't believed there's an LP of my mod here on the Bay! So exciting!

I hope you continue, as LPs are invaluable source of feedback... Plus yes, they're good for ego. :P

BTW Slaughter also has an LP: http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-the-x-com-files-0-5-2b-alpha-blind.112132/
Dwarf Fortress: Strike the earth for all it's worth!
Pages: 1 [2] 3