Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Great Hunter was bitten by a werelizard... what do?  (Read 1493 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Great Hunter was bitten by a werelizard... what do?
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:15:02 pm »

I just had my Great-level Hunter (who is also a suspected Vampire due to having way too many skills) fight a very tense battle with a sneaky Werelizard that had just wandered onto the map, using her Great-level Dodging skills to avoid its deadly attacks while she pounded it with steel bolts. She finally got one through its heart and severed a major artery, killing the beast, but not before it managed to finally land one hit:  A bite on her upper leg, tearing the fat.

Assuming that the were-curse was transmitted... how screwed am I? I have given this dwarf a profession name of !!INFECTED!! so I never forget her, and am seriously considering building a containment pit to lock her in. Will she turn hostile and start killing my dwarves if she turns into a werebeast? Will it count as a crime in the Justice system if any witnesses see her turn/turned?

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great Hunter was bitten by a werelizard... what do?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:21:18 pm »

If she is infected, she will turn sometime soon and rip your dwarves apart. In the process, she could get struck down and easily spread the werelizard curse to several other people, leading to an outbreak.

A containment get-up will probably completely stop it from spreading.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:28:31 pm »

firstly you must identify if your dwarf is infected, an easy way to do that is just lock them in their bedroom (if you have doors that is) and wait a month, if they transform, they are infected

from there you have two options

#1: arrange an unfortunate accident

#2: wearbeast army
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:50:13 pm »

Welp, I'm not taking any chances. I made a constructed wall blocking the path to a secluded room that was an abandoned attempt at making a trade depot, in which I locked her in and told her to keep detailing the walls and floors for lack of anything better to do. Now I just gotta wait for the next full moon, which should be in a few days.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:04:17 pm »

Well, if they're a vampire, they won't be infected, so there's that.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:50 pm »

Welp... she turned. Got the notification just now. So now I have a ravenous werelizard, thankfully behind a solid rock wall and out of sight of any dwarf. She's probably gonna unnerve my populace with all the screaming and scratching on the walls she's bound to do, though...

Okay, I really, really do not want to waste such an absurdly skilled marksdwarf... so I'm thinking of making her my primary monster hunter, and sending her into the caverns to happily shoot giant cave spiders and elk birds. Maybe make her her own little complex, complete with a watchtower so she can pop invaders to my fort above ground, too. In any case, she is going to be thoroughly isolated from the rest of my fort.

Even better, maybe I could set her up as a target for my budding Marksdwarves to practice on with bone and wooden bolts? One way or another, she could transfer her now Master-level marksdwarf skills to the next generation.

You shall yet serve Bigwall, Fath 'Deadshot' Detesiteb.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:20:22 pm by Xvareon »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 09:34:03 pm »

Were transform instaheals most injuries. It also resets hunger and thirst counters. This means she does not really need food or booze to survive.

This makes her the perfect exploratory scout to send into cavern 3.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 09:48:44 pm »

Are there any forts so far focused around "were-soldier" armies, or the like? It might be pretty entertaining to see a bunch of cursed night creature spawn take on a horde of zombies. Put links here if you find any here on Bay 12! I'd love to read them!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 10:22:17 pm »

I had a werecapybara in my fort for several years.  It's not nearly as hard as people imagine.  First, werebeasts only transform on the full moon. (which is every 30 days).  Each Dwarf month is 28 days, so essentially, if your dwarf turned on the 28th of this month, then next month it will be the 26th, 24th the next, etc, etc.  There is a list of the dates of all the full moons on the wiki.

Dwards stay turned for about 1-2 days.  All you need to do is to keep the transformed werebeast out of sight for those 2 days.  The easiest way is to put them in the military and station them somewhere.  Transformed werebeasts who are stationed will stand there doing nothing *as long as they don't see any other creatures*.  They are also building destroyers, so you need to make sure that there are no statues or doors in sight.

The way I did it (which was easy) was to build a hut on the other side of the map.  The hut has an opening facing towards to edge of the map (no door!).  1-2 days before the full moon I stationed my dwarf in the hut and then just waited until the dwarf turned back.  Then I un-stationed him.  You don't need to make a new squad just for your were-beast -- you can station individual dwarfs from the squad menu (I forget the keypress, but it's pretty obvious).

Werebeasts don't need to sleep, but they do need to eat and drink.  This means that they might defy your station order to get a drink or food.  As long as you give yourself some leeway, it's not a problem, but I always decked out my werebeast with supplies (military supplies menu).

In the even that a disaster happens and your werebeast decides to chase a cat or something crazy like this, the key is to keep him *out of sight*.  If one of your dwarfs attacks him, then it will trigger a loyalty cascade.  If that happens, you have to close your drawbridge and allow the dwarfs on the outside to duke it out until one side kills the other.  *There is no other end for a loyalty cascade -- do NOT try to save them*.

Basically warrens behind draw bridges are your friend.  The other main threat is if you get into a siege situation.  Station the poor guy on the other side of the defence line and hope he survives until the full moon.  You can't afford to allow him to turn in your fortress (I suppose you could wall him up again, though...)

Really, it's quite easy to manage werebeasts as long as you keep an eye on the calendar :-)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 03:54:23 am »

- Locking suspected weres into their bedrooms is safe only if the bedroom is a single tile deep, otherwise the were should destroy the door (but might get stuck too close to the door due to a bug). You should brick them in or use a drawbridge.
- I don't believe attacking a were triggers a loyalty cascade, but landing a blow after it's turned back can do so. However, sending additional dorfs out to try to save a doomed one is generally not a good idea.
- Weres do not NEED food and drink, but they get hungry and thirsty before the month is over and their hunger and thirst is sated by turning, so they will seek out food and drink.
- The needs system complicates were handling, since the were might decide to go on uninterruptible need satisfaction activities rather than heed your orders. Keeping them constantly in the military might counteract that, but also means you won't get any work out of them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 05:55:16 am »

There have been forts utilizing werebeasts to fight syndrome-inflicting beasts of the deeps....I think LoudWhispers' Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS] is an example.

Tiny correction to the above: It's every 26 days, not 30 days (with single exception of 3 day jump). The date shifts earlier, not later, after all, and there are 13 full moons in a year.