Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Macintosh problems: macros and wine  (Read 476 times)

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
Macintosh problems: macros and wine
« on: November 03, 2016, 12:26:41 am »

Ahoy there--I'm returning to Dwarf Fortress after a gap of a few years (I think the last time I played was just before multi-tile trees were implemented). I am impressed as heck at all the great new features, but I am having one big problem...

Every time I try to load a macro (control-L), the game freezes irretrievably. A white rectangle appears where the list of available macros should be, but it never actually displays the list, and the whole window becomes completely unresponsive.

I recall this being a problem with the Macintosh version a few years ago, which is ultimately why I switched to running the Windows version via Wine... but when I try that with the latest version, I get an error message about a 64-bit process not being supported in 32-bit wineprefix.

Is there any (not-too-complicated) way to run the latest Windows version in Wine? Is there any way to get macros to work properly in the Mac version? I'm about to reach the point in my new fortress when it's going to get mind-numbingly tedious if I don't have macros.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh problems: macros and wine
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:38:45 am »

Update:
Continuing with the Macintosh version, I tried deleting all of my old macros (I had copied them over from a previous version), and the game now seems to be capable of creating new macros--and loading them--without any problems. Not sure why the old macros would cause a complete freeze-up, though; has there been a significant change in the macro formatting in the last few years?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh problems: macros and wine
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:23:22 am »

Use the 32 bit (windows) version?