Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Geological Survey  (Read 6284 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Geological Survey
« on: November 04, 2016, 03:00:02 am »

I'm starting work on a new utility that will show a world map, with user-selectable overlays, showing mineral deposits, wildlife locations, plant populations, etc.

This will allow a user to do a more advanced site search than is currently possible with the in-game site finder. Say, for example, you absolutely must have both iron and gold in the same site, you can see a map of the world showing where iron and gold deposits can be found.

Besides this, what would people expect to find in such a tool?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Geological Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:08:32 am »

Weather, temperature, savagery/good/evil, not sure if you could show the range of various neighboring civs but it would be awesome I imagine.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 12:02:24 pm »

Saltwater:
I've been getting lots of saltwater warnings recently. I'd like to be able to see surface and ground water sources separately labeled as "fresh" or "salty".

Elevation:
I'm not too fond of sites with a large variance of Z-levels on the surface. I'd like to be able to search by the difference in the max surface tile from the lowest surface tile.

Rivers sizes:
Currently searching for rivers is completely binary. I'd like to be able to do searches like "brook or smaller" or "any river larger than brook".

Number of embark squares that should have a feature:
Two adjacent embark squares will not necessarily all have the same features as each other. For any search feature, I'd like to be able to specify how many of the 9 squares in a 3-by-3 embark or the 16 squares in a 4-by-4 embark should have a specific feature. So for example, I could ask it to find a 3-by-3 embark that has aquifers in between 1 and 8 of the embark squares.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 12:25:07 pm »

I'm starting work on a new utility that will show a world map, with user-selectable overlays, showing mineral deposits, wildlife locations, plant populations, etc.

This will allow a user to do a more advanced site search than is currently possible with the in-game site finder. Say, for example, you absolutely must have both iron and gold in the same site, you can see a map of the world showing where iron and gold deposits can be found.

Besides this, what would people expect to find in such a tool?

Hopefully if it can scan sites using its population tools in depth it can help uncover this bug here (0010059)

Otherwise just knowing the ACCURATE height map of a embark would be more useful rather than the blue colourscale relative height & numerical high to try and decipher. Isolated high peaks non colliding with map edges and flat embarks are more defensive. A snapshot of the embark before we commit would be great.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »

PTW, this looks very useful
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 01:51:00 am »

Will this utility only be available from a legends export, or will it be accessible in-game?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 02:02:21 am »

It'll mainly be for using it in-game, though a legends export might be needed for some things, like more detailed maps.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 11:41:08 am »

Well in that case, if you could have it show sites and features that would be amazing.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 11:52:15 am »

PTW, Japa is the best 8)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 12:40:42 pm »

Wat about the depth of the local aquifer. That'd be rad.

No more running into 11z aquifers on an otherwise perfect embark :3

FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 03:44:10 pm »

I'd like to see a max/min depth of the caverns and magma layers, as well as the map in general. 200 Z level maps can be a serious fps difference when compared to a 50 deep one.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 05:06:27 pm »

I'd like to second the motion for river sizes.  Natural waterfalls, volcanoes, lairs, constructions, cavern lakes, etc. would be nice search criteria, but not as urgent as the embark shape and mineral stuff.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 12:36:41 am »

One thing I often look for is points where biomes meet - particularly tropical and temperate. Not sure if that is too unrelated, though it is related to the minerals available.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 02:36:45 pm »

I'd like to see where aquifers are and how many levels deep they are.

Also, I'd like to know the species of trees, plants, and animals which grow or roam in there, it it's possible.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 02:48:19 pm »

Oh, yeah! Waterfall size and presence of water/plant life in caverns would be great. I've had completely dry caverns ruin an embark before.
Pages: [1] 2