Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Eating Sapients FotF derail.  (Read 36929 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eating Sapients FotF derail.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 04:29:06 am »

@chaosvolt (redirect from bug report):
"This gives a possible cause for the bug, then. I never tested whether you could craft from dwarven bones in older versions actually. If that's true, then unfucking this issue might be more difficult than I thought.

EDIT: No, I've been bullshit'd. Results of my testing will follow in next post.
"

No, you haven't been bullshitted, as I HAVE tested what I said. I never claimed the things I said would definitely be the cause of the problem in adventure mode, but I still consider it to be relevant input, although  it might turn out adventure and fortress mode works differently. If you tested it in arena mode and it didn't work the same as it does/did in fortress mode, then all we know is that these two modes work differently, without knowing which, if any, works the same as in adventure mode.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 12:32:06 pm »

You used to be able to craft things from sapients in the past in adventure mode, I've killed various people and wore their skulls and bones as armor and jewelry, up until 42.01 when I had to remove [CAN_LEARN] or set dead_dwarf=false to do it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 06:15:56 pm »

Did you craft from dwarves in 0.40.X?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2017, 06:28:49 pm »

Indeed, had a whole mod built around crafting sapients, megabeasts, semimegabeasts, and stuff like elf or dwarf bone jewelry. Had to figure out how to get around it with 42.01.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 05:14:26 am »

Did I ever tell you the story of Nish Handlestandard, whom I accidentally got killed digging out a magma piston and on a lark decided to see if I could resurrect as I couldn't actually locate her body, only to later find it, and resurrect IT as well before having a couple of different dorfs use her for fell moods before resurrecting her again so she could hang out in the meeting hall near her coffin with her corpse in it when she wasn't training at an artifact weapon rack made from her bones while equipped with a crossbow which was also made from her bones.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That was an interesting time.

None of those are dwarf bone objects to state the obvious despite being processed, specifically bones carry the active personal ID and here they haven't been cleared or checked to clear dead_dwarf or whatever is causing this BP/ID association.

> Teeth & nails being unusable (BP parts) has been a bug report for a while, most specifically to note that animals dont have personal ID names to transmit across onto these objects. Also extends to chitin & scales which should be tannable but as excessive BP products, come under this bug, skin & fur has exceptions in [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] for normal animals

> Also bears resemblence (I still think the health system is involved heavily since it is a world activated feature, though there is a personal minor adventurer health screen in arena but none of the bugs) to this report of a dwarf immigrating with no upper body, like by the lack of Nish's neck but still surviving despite being BP impossible

Reposting because relevant to the content, those bones from a earlier version are in dwarf mode, whereas as chaosvolt points out if you jumped into arena you would (the exploit also still works, i've personally revived a unit from parts myself in the 43_05 DFhack version by linking to the original unit ID, however i can't repeatedly revive, which might just be on part of me being a bit nooby with GMeditor) get non-personal dwarf bones.

However it should probably be mentioned that arena mode units are not historical or named, so there is still capacity for that to be totally wrong. (which it probably is given it tracked it being 'dwarf 1' as a personal moniker)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 05:23:34 am by FantasticDorf »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 06:11:36 am »

They were fell moods I forced with dfhack, she also murdered her ghost a couple times but I couldn't get a ghost bone crossbow so I settled for having another dorf kill her and turn her into something.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 07:33:58 pm »

I still think the health system is involved heavily since it is a world activated feature

What? No, the health system's been around since 0.31.01 way back in 2010, 4 years before world activation in 0.40.01.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 05:26:41 am »

I still think the health system is involved heavily since it is a world activated feature

What? No, the health system's been around since 0.31.01 way back in 2010, 4 years before world activation in 0.40.01.

I didn't mean as a inherent flaw with the health system, more that the issues (not being 'struck down' & BP impossible living units in statis with no centre of thought or ability to breath moving about without immediately dropping dead) only present themselves in the 'world activated modes' under no specific time-frame we can pinpoint at the moment.

> If you were to remove a creature's neck just by GM editing in arena mode without the creature actually being struck or having a death-blow, it would immediately die, the cockroach dwarf's situation is physically impossible to maintain in arena mode but sustainable for unknown reasons in the world activated modes. There are also reports of dwarves shrugging off treatment for heavy injuries, if its not computing the BP correctly then it may not be percieved to be a problem for the dwarf/health system itself

> Skulls are also not listed under [SKELETON] so that may contribute to them specifically taking on the ID of the people who owned them (like any other non organic-part) unnecessarily or for reasons as to identify, Hamlet style.

The personal ID projection onto BP parts is slightly separate to that but its just a personal hunch that if a unit does not die correctly it may affect the outcome to which the corpse object is created and what happens afterwards as being important for use of that object. For instance via UI bugs, you can monitor the deterioration of a dwarf's eyes and loss of skin/nerves in its grave via a exploit after it is dead, it'll keep on going.

> Individual parts once butchered are tracable to the corpse object creature, while the parts (taken directly from the BP of the creature for bones, meat etc) may not as revealed by GM-editor personally compute via boolean field 'computehealth' to anything but we have to understand the relation between how the creature died, the BP personal implications for that, and the effect of splitting it up further into BP parts.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:29:21 am by FantasticDorf »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 02:53:42 pm »

I think you're focusing on the wrong bits there, I haven't a clue what computed_health does, I never mess with it, but I can do everything I need to reanimate bodies, transform a random creature into a histfig, and so forth.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »

I think you're focusing on the wrong bits there, I haven't a clue what computed_health does, I never mess with it, but I can do everything I need to reanimate bodies, transform a random creature into a histfig, and so forth.

Im still personally probing at what it does myself, its definitely a flag set to false however.

Perhaps, maybe. Its just the logic that if the system was perceived to be working properly then the problem would be half resolved, i know the health system doesn't quite work correctly (as shown by my own no-death issue report & cockroach dwarf) but it would help to narrow down the reasons, as naturally the personal ID should be phased out and the rotted/butchered proceeds shouldn't be attached to the personal ID under normal circumstances but to the creature class (dwarf fat, dwarf meat etc.) Anything to help clarify the passing & processes between each stage of death.

> If you want further proof, "mangled skeletons" from natural decomposition of perfectly healthy creatures over time that doesn't clear (anymore) is a direct result of the health system post-death because the intense decomposition applies artificial 'damage' to the body.

Again i'll mention that the corpse objects BP (muscles = into meat & heart = prepared heart etc.) can still be traced by backtracking the unit and looking at its sum of parts given that even after the units personal official health system is gone (given you can't trace 'health' in gm editor past butchering when they don't have a physical body) BP is still tracked. Isn't that system supposed to track things while they are alive for detached limbs & lost teeth?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 05:05:06 pm »

The health system has absolutely nothing to do with what happens to corpses. Corpses are items that go through their own processes independently of the unit that spawned them.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 08:35:21 am »

The health system has absolutely nothing to do with what happens to corpses. Corpses are items that go through their own processes independently of the unit that spawned them.

Then count it for what it is, my own speculation based on method testing i've done personally & seen for myself. I've mentioned numerous times the exploit of monitoring dwarves decompose via a UI exploit after they are dead, and all these other 'case studies' of BP problems denote there is something going wrong in capacity. Even a direct df version comparison will tell you when a trogg gets its head lopped off & it isn't "struck down" dead just unconcious there is a fundamental game flaw as well as every other living animal in the game outside of arena-mode in the world activated modes.

> I understand the point of oral & written anecdotes between multiple DF players to exchange knowledge on the game, but all of these have provable saves.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:43:11 am by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 04:42:27 pm »

If you're referring to the dead troglodytes, those are dead. They have the "dead" flag. The "struck down" message was not shown, but the unit is dead and the cause of death is STRUCK_DOWN.

Your proof is based on incomplete info. They died properly. You're relying on DF's horrible UI to give accurate info. Please avoid that.

You can use that exact command to see the cause of death of any unit. Highlight the unit in the dead units list then paste ":lua ~df.death_type[df.incident.find(dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit().counters.death_id).death_cause]" into the console and it'll give the cause-of-death of that unit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:49:16 pm by Putnam »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 06:27:34 am »

After going back to the save and re-testing im quite aware that they died in the circumstances

I had my troggs slashed to death so im unsuprised they were struck down, (they were given a generic -1 by counters where your LUA references and you can just look inside yourself in GM editor by backtracking the unit id on the corpse with (i) no lua required. Struck down seems to be a generic term of death given it is shared between all of them which died in multiple ways. Interestingly when i investigate the flags further, most the troggs with breathing difficulties have health calcuated (seems to be prior to dying to denote suffocation etc) and those without do not but otherwise the corpse parts being intact and non rotted offer "good" eyesight to a creature that doesn't need them anymore.
  • if i were to leave them for a bit, like my dwarf coffin studies i imagine that status would change as the body rots & the meat & organs begin to spoil eventually leading to the comprehensive loss of nerves required for feeling & grasping along with the eyes.

Typically there is no difference in arena (which hosts the game in a microcosm) where all the adequate things happen, and the UI for combat is under Arena circumstances robust at relaying the injuries, as seperately held inside the game folder log of events.
  • Investigating the counters, the headless trogg is persistently in pain & stunned but not suffocating or unconcious which might be part of that fact that it is already dead and the suffocation has passed but the nerves being present might still present a problem to pain as the body decomposes.

My point is that using the UI of the combat log, is that health is stalling (indeed only a few of the troggs with breathing difficulties even have health computed which seems to be linked to that function) and inadequacies of consequence (broken bones, rotting away, losing parts all unhindered) doesn't make the health system reliable.

Another thing to mention is that the MOMENT you forcefully rot (using flags) a seperate BP corpse object (either select seperately or go find via the linked 'corpse parts' page) the entire rest of the body will rot, you can unset the body seperately to not rot but that will also revert the status of the decapitated part, changing the unit flag to a skeleton also has no impact on the corpse.
  • If they are really meant to be seperate as you say, there would be consequences if all non connected parts all correlated with BP, as skeletons are barred, but not [SKELETON] objects with no decomposible meat (though they do store fat) and vermin (anecdotally, but reproducible) devour bones in fortress mode including teeth (another barred part subject to the same rules which is bugged)

If the body can't fall apart (everything just gets 'mangled' as it hovers at 0.1 ticks before crumbling) because the teeth. ivory & skull (plus other non-rotting BP bits) doesn't rot and for a unspecified reason of dead_dwarf or other blocking the body's bones falling apart then there's a obvious problem there.

Something else relevant to this bone-BP shenanigans, the material properties of bone might be too strong or mismatched *requiring a new tag possibly* to crumble apart leading to no skeletal degradation into bones  & 0008813: Butchered bone stacks from hostile creatures cause "seeing a _ die" thought are read as the whole body BP part its connected to the corpse.

EDIT- Other observations also include that the 'death time' despite being 'dead' for atleast a quarter of a month, by editing the rot timers however i managed to get it into a skeletal state but can't push it any further than that to get it to fall apart even after a unit value of 2000 to rot & deathtime
  • bodies in arena mode wear away to damage caused on the material properties (heat/coldpoints etc), and attempts to damage the corpse body in fortress mode is unsuccessful with just raw values as no amount will make the body dissapear.

I revived the trogg, who's now i've rotted into bones forcefully without the head (which dubiously in its own gm, the head is not counted as a severed part)

• It is now unstunned, & not choking despite having no head, and seems to be in better health than ever despite being a rotting skeletal, headless corpse with all the health being calcuated (which caused a injury thought) while still being struck down.

This is the combat log of the events, by going (i) and selecting report you can scan each combat log individually for context and even alter them if you wish. Here, is a critical even of a trogg being stunned (which is referenced on the trogg's counters) after having its skull fractured by a axe swing to the head (All the fatal swings are listed as continuous, even after the head has been cloven asunder they persist in hacking away)

And now if i run this in Arena mode between two animalmen, the proper struckdown is presented (in "reports" on the unit ID) to signify the game recognising that they have died with no world activated mode intervention (though on inspection dead_dwarf true still exists)

• the alligator man i've renamed in all capital's "STEVE" i have rotted their discarded thumb for example purposes, the main corpse remains unrotted & the thumb remains individual, throwing considerable differences on the main fortress mode example.

If you then proceed to butcher the goods while dead_dwarf (which is on in arena mode regardless when they die it seems) turned off before butchering, the goods wont be affected by dead dwarf but still be personally named, and all counters etc data will remain the same. I revived steve post butchering.

Because i took control of the dead steve (and died in arena mode meaning i had to quit the mode), im scribing this from the game log of what happened.

Alligator Man 3 hacks you in the upper body with his iron battle axe!
Alligator Man 3: Greetings.  My name is Alligator Man 3. <- Dead by then
** Starting New Arena **

The alligator man swung for a body part that didn't exist, and the resulting collision told the game it was already missing (I had no real first person vision of what was happening) and therefore my character dropped dead (again despite already being struck down via counter)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:02:26 am by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »

Again, corpses are not units, units always instantly lose their upper body (I.E. literally all of their parts) upon dying, you need to heal that to properly revive them, otherwise things get buggy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7