Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Concrete  (Read 1798 times)

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Concrete
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:08:20 am »

Obsidian is all very well but it would be cool to be able to create natural walls in situ. It could be straightforward to make a reaction at a kiln using flux and clay. Plus it unlocks my dream of huge concrete brutalist structures, or effective above ground damming.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Concrete
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:30:54 am »

Well materially if you had a sort of idea of what to make, (mix flux & clay = concrete blocks or concrete sandbags for a furnace type workshop that only handles that kind of 'sand' for any output *10 per bag?*) its incredibly easy to just mod this in.

You can set the density and shear appropriately and just set up a chain of reactions & products to get the result.

However this suggestion seems to verge more on the side of (water tight, though all solid blocks are) or being able to lay concrete down as a liquid, a little more elaboration is needed to differentiate please.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:42:20 am »

I was thinking along the lines of an actual liquid or contaminant that, once laid down, hardens into a solid natural wall over time, which would be the non-trivial thing to mod in. I presume one might have it as a workshop activity to combine a bucket of water and a bag of cement to make liquid cement. Also a timer that requires its use by a certain time might be a nice little touch. The reaction itself is trivial to mod in to make concrete bricks, but thats not what i'm thinking.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Grimmrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 12:12:09 pm »

I was thinking along the lines of an actual liquid or contaminant that, once laid down, hardens into a solid natural wall over time, which would be the non-trivial thing to mod in. I presume one might have it as a workshop activity to combine a bucket of water and a bag of cement to make liquid cement. Also a timer that requires its use by a certain time might be a nice little touch. The reaction itself is trivial to mod in to make concrete bricks, but thats not what i'm thinking.

would also have some use in a simpler way to "fill holes" by making a pond the dwarfs can fill with cement.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:20:09 pm »

That's actually really interesting. Concrete a 'heavy contaminant' drops to the bottom of some water and solidifies the whole way up in stages (because surface would be fiddly in having to remove in stages, sucking the water up and making a bell which though alternatively might be more fun from a engineering point), and by constructive walling and dropping of the concrete you can form a pier or just a pillar of concrete 'rock' in say the middle of the sea or a aquifer (with a LOT of expensive flux reliant concrete which will hitch the price up)

(Relevant concrete construction video, going over appropriate water usage with concrete - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-7_xjFuo8)

I guess dwarves wouldn't care about such a trivial thing as weak concrete and dump the whole lot in by quantity into the water to solve a problem, OR via just the game world having slightly altered values compared to the real world, having a more porous form of concrete that just doesn't care and remains strong in water regardless because of the special qualities of DF world flux and clay.

(A video of 'thirsty' concrete absorbing water due to new methods of engineering the mix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiq0NbJmaw)

would also have some use in a simpler way to "fill holes" by making a pond the dwarfs can fill with cement.

I got ninja'd but yeah.

I wonder if the concrete would need to be made into stone first if you were making a edifice out of concrete blocks (lets say a built fortification for your concrete bunker you've hollowed out) to build features such as bridges/fortifications/embellishents like statues or if it would need to be made on site with concrete & a bucket of water.

The dwarven dream, concrete the entire overworld over all the dirt rivers and seas (technically by that method, you could actually dam and kill a river with concrete by destroying its entry point, seas too by making a sea-wall)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:29:34 pm by FantasticDorf »

Grimmrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:26:01 pm »

That's actually really interesting. Concrete a 'heavy contaminant' drops to the bottom of some water and solidifies the whole way up in stages (because surface would be fiddly in having to remove in stages, sucking the water up and making a bell which though alternatively might be more fun from a engineering point), and by constructive walling and dropping of the concrete you can form a pier or just a pillar of concrete 'rock' in say the middle of the sea or a aquifer (with a LOT of expensive flux reliant concrete which will hitch the price up)

(Relevant concrete construction video, going over appropriate water usage with concrete - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-7_xjFuo8)

I guess dwarves wouldn't care about such a trivial thing as weak concrete and dump the whole lot in by quantity into the water to solve a problem, OR via just the game world having slightly altered values compared to the real world, having a more porous form of concrete that just doesn't care and remains strong in water regardless because of the special qualities of DF world flux and clay.

(A video of 'thirsty' concrete absorbing water due to new methods of engineering the mix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiq0NbJmaw)

I got ninja'd but yeah.

I wonder if the concrete would need to be made into stone first if you were making a edifice out of concrete blocks (lets say a built fortification for your concrete bunker you've hollowed out) to build features such as bridges/fortifications/embellishents like statues or if it would need to be made on site with concrete & a bucket of water.

The dwarven dream, concrete the entire overworld over all the dirt rivers and seas (technically by that method, you could actually dam and kill a river with concrete by destroying its entry point, seas too by making a sea-wall)

concrete could be used in multiple ways, filling a gap with it in liquid form to form a "natural wall" that cna be smoothed and engraved, or also being mined later to be formed into blocks. Basically as we do in RL too.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 01:40:39 pm »

Not to mention the obvious advantage of trapping invading armies into a block of cement. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:09:32 pm »

Not to mention the obvious advantage of trapping invading armies into a block of cement.
Dropping molten gold on invaders to create horrendous statues would also be nice.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:51:17 pm »

Dropping molten gold on invaders to create horrendous statues would also be nice.

Gold is heavy though, wouldn't they be crushed? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 04:25:24 am »

Gold is heavy though, wouldn't they be crushed?
It worked in Game of Thrones.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:53:30 am »

It worked in Game of Thrones.

(pompous voice) I'm not sure we can hold Game of Thrones to same standard of excellence to DF. 

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 12:27:06 pm »

(pompous voice) I'm not sure we can hold Game of Thrones to same standard of excellence to DF.
But I'd really like it.