Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone from ireland here? Would appreciate info...  (Read 6472 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Anyone from ireland here? Would appreciate info...
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:02:05 pm »

... about major cities, major hospitals, openness towards foreigners, etc...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone from ireland here? Would appreciate info...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:06:47 am »

What, thinking about moving?

Good luck?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:41:07 am »

... about major cities, major hospitals, openness towards foreigners, etc...
I'm Irish. I'll tell ya what I can...
Major cities include:
1. Limerick
2. Cork
3. Galway
4. (The capital) Dublin.

All of the above have hospitals, usually more then one.

Galway is the smallest of the major cities, but is the main city in the province of Connacht. Connacht is the western province, and has the lowest population. It is on the opposite side of the island when compared to the capital.

Cork is the third most populous city on the Island. It is in Munster, my home province. To the south of the Country. I don't know all that much about the place, though, since...

Limerick is the second biggest City in Ireland, and a major trading hub for the EU and Ireland as a whole. It is (interesting fact) where my family originates. It is a bit to the south of Galway, in the west of Ireland. It is directly facing the US.

Dublin is the capital. Enough said.

We are quite friendly, where I live we have a large community farm which is part of the Woofer system and we have recently gained a lot of semi-permanant lodgers who are leaving the U.S for the next four years. Wow. We have lots of people from all around the world, I know an asian family that runs the local takeaway, a friend of mine was from new Zealand, some people from Spain, and I think that Owen O' Brollachán is from somewhere other then Ireland. My Granddad was from scotland a- never mind, you get the idea.

I am guessing that you want to live here, so I'll give you a few ideas.
Galway or Limerick would be nice choices, since the European apple branch is situated in Limerick, along with a lot of other things, and Galway is... Cool. Quote from several people. I wish that they could give me a better answer...

I live in an ecovillage, and we are always willing to accept people here, whether or not it's permanant. Although, the hostel we have is a bit... Not the best. We have an extra section of the house that we're renting out to people, but we already have a lodger, sorry 'bout that. Another place I highly reccomend visiting at some point, is the Dingle penninsula. It runs almost entirely off tourism and a bit of fishing. It is an amazing place. Beutiful, too!

That is all I vp an tell you. Have a lovely day.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:47:13 am »

I got a call from some headhunters offering a very lucrative deal so I'm considering it. Havent started any paperwork yet however

It's not just a mattermof money however, I'm not about to fly  thousands of km if the potential of the workplace is not any better than the one I have here (even if they do pay  better). Hence I was considering reasonably large hospitals, and looking for population centers. So far the best looking ones are Dublin, Corck, and Limerick
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 02:06:29 pm »

Good to hear!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 04:25:07 am »

Cork has a reputation as People's Republic, but I never found out why...
Generally what I can say about ireland is that it rocks. Beutiful landscapes, ancient culture spots, a nice english dialect, generally extroverted people willing to talk to strangers in the pub, affinity to live music, good beer, lots of pregnant women, a high density of pubs, amongst other things.
I only went there on vacation, but had a great time.
Here in europe it is said that dublin is the most expensive location flatwise, but i might be wrong on that...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 02:57:07 pm »

doesn't look all that expensive, tbh.

Wages are really good too. I'm seriously considering this
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:39:58 pm by ChairmanPoo »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 02:40:49 pm »

PD: I suppose noone can provide info on physician workhours in Ireland right?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 10:34:52 am »

Update: so far so good. I think I might actually get this offer... watch&wait now.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 01:09:56 pm »

-snip-
Really nice reading this! I'd have trouble coming up with a similar post about my own country.

Update: so far so good. I think I might actually get this offer... watch&wait now.
I wish you the best of luck.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 03:24:15 pm »

good luck!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 03:33:34 pm »

Sometime visit north tipperary, I'd be happy to have ye in for tea. The sugar is pure irish, made from powdered bog cotton, and distilled using guinness. Not really.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 12:59:42 pm »

good luck!

Thanks!

Updates:
- The interview went well. Barring something going very wrong with the Register (it shouldn't) or something else going heads up in an unforeseeable manner, this is going forward. We have an informal agreement.

- So now I have to prepare the paperwork, as was mentioned earlier.

- After that's done and everything is set to go, I'll look for a place to rent.

Sometime visit north tipperary, I'd be happy to have ye in for tea. The sugar is pure irish, made from powdered bog cotton, and distilled using guinness. Not really.
I'll probably hold you to it.  I've heard it's a long way to Tipperary, so it might take some time to find a timeslot :p

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 11:59:08 pm »

If you want to impress an Irishman, you need to know the traditional Gaelic greeting, pronounced "Chocky Ar Lah.". It approximately means "greetings and best wishes", and is especially popular in Northern Ireland.  ;)
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 12:03:12 am »

If you want to impress an Irishman, you need to know the traditional Gaelic greeting, pronounced "Chocky Ar Lah.". It approximately means "greetings and best wishes", and is especially popular in Northern Ireland.  ;)
I don't think this means what it is stated to mean.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: [1] 2