Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some old features/options (Mineral availability, underground rivers/ambushes)  (Read 756 times)

Vamyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey folks,

As I've just shown someone the glory of boatmurdered to get them hooked on this game I've also been reminded of a few things that I am sorely missing when playing the way, way more advanced current dwarf fortress. Let's go through some points.

Mineral availability
The current mineral scarcity balances the abundance nicely and it makes for an interesting challenge when you're depending on trade for some key materials. Right now trade is not as reliable as I'd like it to be but that is not the point about mineral availability: Having potentially everything on your plot of land (based on the layers) alters the difficulty but also adds a layer of exploration to the game. I would love to set up proper mines with carts, follow interesting seams and continue to delve deeper to the next lode of fun. But when I know that in the next 10 layers, there's only more of the same to find it makes it takes away a lot of the "Ooh, gold" factor.

I suggest adding an option to have veins/clusters of more than 2-3 different minerals appear in the same layers.

Underground rivers and chasms:

I miss the old underground rivers and the like. The magma vents and holes are still there (the holes connecting cavern layers is brilliant). The 'new' cavern system is great but I'm always a bit sad that I can't have running water in the bowels of the world. Or huge chasms connecting layers. Who wouldn't want a natural chasm as a subterranean fortress moat.

Weird Creature Ambushes
The stuff like frogmen ambush and the like from the old underground rivers. That should also include overground threats, but I think having these back in would be great. Their threat level is fairly low, and today you can only find them in their little camps in caverns sometimes. Let the Moth People rise again!

tl;dr
An option to find more different minerals on a map would be great, also bring back underground rivers and chasms, please.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When mineral scarcity was first introduced, I hated the way it worked and thought, "Why couldn't they have two sliders, scarcity and diversity?" The way it works now, scarcity controls both overall scarcity and diversity. With two sliders, you could have a map with a lot of different kinds of minerals, but not very many of each, or a few minerals, but a lot of each, or anything in between. As it stands you either have a lot of all minerals or few of a few minerals.

Currently you can set the cavern water level in advanced world gen. It's not quite the same thing as a river, but if you set it high enough, you are guaranteed edge to edge water on all caverns.

Some mods, like Masterwork, include underground ambusher races, like ant men. So the possibility is currently in the game, it just isn't included in the base raws.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

Modern mineral diversity is based on real world geology, and since the true purpose of DF is to make a simulation, not a game, I doubt he's going to change that.  Someone might mod it in though. 

As for rivers and ambushes, I like that idea.  Subterranean rivers are totally real things, and I too would like more of a threat or opportunity presented by underground people.  As they are, they seem to be very half-assed. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.