Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mobile DF, i know its been discussed before but hear me out on this one...  (Read 2423 times)

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile

:( umm...im not sure if im on the right section of the forum to discuss this, or even its an appropriate topic to discuss on after so much of it in the past...but yeah...Mobile DF...android...Something to kill time in a long ride

Ok, so the reason why i tried to reopen this discussion is due to the fact that performance of mobile device has jump far compared to initial release of smart phones...even if you count it within 12 months period, there will always be new tech, upgrades, new gadget, and  hard/software that continues to push the boundaries further...example: Nvidia shield-an actual gaming table, at least from what i heard it is. So performance as an issue might already be out of the picture (how easily the tech will be accessible to the common Uristfolks we are), the only hindrance i see is the porting of the codes.

Forgive me if im day dreaming, but given someone is willing to pour in time and effort (doesn't have to be the bay12 brothers) to port DF, do you think its possible? What im aiming here is not just to see the "yes" or "no its not possible", but to identify more (if there is anymore than performance and codes as limiting variables) of the limiting factors, so we may one day push further and come to terms with our goals...

or those goals could come to us...i mean wrist computers ex. FO series' Pipboy or Dead Space RIG suit's holographic display and suit integrated computer, those are pretty cool you know, i would like those...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile DF, i know its been discussed before but hear me out on this one...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:25:47 pm »

http://mifki.com/df/

This gets you a playable UI that can connect to a server hosting DF over the internet. You could probably host the game on the same device if you could get it to run on the CPU architecture.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 12:41:19 pm »

DF runs on x86 processors, and only high power ones at that. DF on a low power x86 requires tiny embarks and short histories.

DF does not, and will not, run on an ARM processor (which is what cellphones use). First the instruction sets are nothing alike (ARM s a RISC chip, x86 is CISC), second ARM chips are generally rather slow compared to even crappy desktop chips.

The closest thing you can get is some kind of remote interface that connects to a copy of DF running on a real computer somewhere.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:59:25 pm »

Are ARM processors capable of emulating x86 via software?

There'd be a huge performance hit, but maybe you could run a 1x1 embark.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 04:47:16 pm »

I don't know if any proper VMs exists for ARM, but if so the performance hit would be HUGE.

AKA, even if you found the software to do it you would not be able to run DF.

OK, so I just checked, and it seems there are some such emulators, and they would maybe work on a really high end ARM chip (such as one designed for fancy tablets (eg, not an ipad, but something like the Nvidia shield)), but never one from a cellphone.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 01:25:31 am »

This gets you a playable UI that can connect to a server hosting DF over the internet. You could probably host the game on the same device if you could get it to run on the CPU architecture.
Doesnt this function like dfterm? I really mean df as an app or runned on an emulator.

DF runs on x86 processors, and only high power ones at that. DF on a low power x86 requires tiny embarks and short histories.

DF does not, and will not, run on an ARM processor (which is what cellphones use). First the instruction sets are nothing alike (ARM s a RISC chip, x86 is CISC), second ARM chips are generally rather slow compared to even crappy desktop chips.

The closest thing you can get is some kind of remote interface that connects to a copy of DF running on a real computer somewhere.
I see, it turns out performance is still an issue after all, and will probably be so with only 43% of Dwarf Fortress done - 36% left until an accurate prediction can be made  :-\
Maybe the only solution is to make compact computer, but id doubt it even run with decent fps if even laptop strugfle to do so in a medium sized fort (3x3 embark with 50 pop) at least my laptop, its starting to become a potato by today's starndard.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »

Doesnt this function like dfterm? I really mean df as an app or runned on an emulator.
Yeah, but it makes it playable on a touchscreen by abstracting the controls. You'd need a keyboard attached to the mobile device, otherwise.