Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 75522 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2016, 03:14:37 pm »

This is bad.  I'm up against a wall.  The door is closed!  How'd they get in?  Can I escape the same way?  It's not safe here, leave the hole and scurry after them in the dark, from a distance, watch them, where do they go?  Make sure they don't come towards me!

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2016, 05:49:38 pm »

"Early bird gets the worm! Hahahaha!"

Grab my shotgun and start sprinting through the dark towards the group. Them carrying lights just means that I can see them before they see me.
Try to pick out the leader of this bunch and put two shells worth of buck at point-blank into them before the rest can react, and then keep running.

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2016, 06:25:39 pm »

"Aha! Alanna, come! There are mauraders afoot! COME! FEEL THE TITAN GRIP OF MARCUS!"

"Oh god damnit."

The chase is afoot!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2016, 11:22:45 am »

"Ahh, dark, this is worse than trapdoors under tar.  I can't see anything!"

Open the door to the hallway and see if I can see anything.  If not, continue heading towards the exit until I'm out on the street.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2016, 12:47:45 pm »

Follow Beethro carefully.

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2016, 11:06:22 am »

This is bad.  I'm up against a wall.  The door is closed!  How'd they get in?  Can I escape the same way?  It's not safe here, leave the hole and scurry after them in the dark, from a distance, watch them, where do they go?  Make sure they don't come towards me!

You look around, trying to make out whats going on in the darkness. You can hardly see anything outside the illumination of the torches in the distance, just vague grayscale shapes and phantom lines signifying the black bulk of structures. You can't see how the  raiders got in; the gate is still closed and there's no visible holes in the walls; at least nowhere you can see. It's not even clear where they came from, they could have entered from anywhere, you just happened to wake up and see them where they are now.  Leaving the way they came is out of the question for the moment, so instead you decide to follow them. The wizard you have an eye on is better than the one that sneaks up on you in the dark and pulls your insidey bits out through whatever orifice is close at hand.

You slither out of the hole in the wall, lowering yourself down hands first, then onto your stomach, then finally onto all fours, crouched like a lizard on the tile floor. You slink through the darkness, over towards the torches, using their light to guide you. As you move towards them, it becomes increasingly obvious that the flailing shadow is the source of the scream. It looks like a young woman, but the shadows are all around her, so you can't get a good look. They seem to be restraining her, there are a half dozen hands pressed down on her face. You try to move in and get a better look, pulling yourself up and over a small wooden fence.

Stealth is a Dex action roll: [9]

But as you do, one of the crossbars of the fence snaps, and you go tumbling to the ground with a high pitched squeal and a clattering of food against tile. You squirm on the floor for a few seconds before scrabbling up and looking back at the mob just in time to see the glint of something arcing in towards you. Whatever it is, it misses, hitting the building that this fence belongs to instead. You can make out the sound of glass breaking before there's a sudden FLOOOOSH! and the building erupts into flame. Everything around you is suddenly a blindingly bright orange-red, all flame and harsh flickering shadows, with you very clearly exposed.

"Early bird gets the worm! Hahahaha!"

Grab my shotgun and start sprinting through the dark towards the group. Them carrying lights just means that I can see them before they see me.
Try to pick out the leader of this bunch and put two shells worth of buck at point-blank into them before the rest can react, and then keep running.

You grab the shotgun out of under your makeshift straw pillow and leap down from the hayloft, taking off in a dead sprint the moment your feet touch the ground.  You're about halfway there when a house to the left of the raiders suddenly explodes in to a fireball with a flash that briefly illuminates almost the entire lower district. You swear under your breath, blinking tears out of your blinded eyes, and duck off the main road. You start making your way through the gaps between homes, crouched low.

Stealthy as a ninja on greased ice roll [5]

You make it close to the raiders without them noticing, slipping through the thin alley between two stone walls and peaking out at the corner. You're behind them, or at least at their backs. They're all looking over towards the burning building, torches held high, straining to see through the dark.

Observation is for people without a shotgun roll [18]

You squint at them. There are five raiders and what looks like one villager they've grabbed. The raiders are all dressed fairly similarly; hemp clothing in a variety of colors, clearly stolen, with bits of ironwood bark sewn on at various places to create makeshift armor. You can't tell which one is the leader, if any, so you instead heft the heavy metal barrel up and take aim at the only one who still has good hold on the villager.

Don't shoot twice, shoot nice roll [8, 1]

You empty both barrels with a deafening roar and the raider loses his grip on the woman and staggers to the side, trailing red as he crumples to the ground. The hostage breaks free and runs into the dark, screaming at the top of her lungs. You slip back behind the wall and dash off into the darkness. Behind you, shouts and flailing torches as the raiders struggle to find their attacker.

"Aha! Alanna, come! There are mauraders afoot! COME! FEEL THE TITAN GRIP OF MARCUS!"

"Oh god damnit."

The chase is afoot!
Remember that part about putting your stat sheet in actions?  I see a distinct lack of it here.

You consider, for a brief moment, sneaking in and attempting to get behind the raiders. Maybe snapping their necks like a ninja. But then your brain resets and you instead choose to do the much more reasonable thing: Running head first into combat and punching the armed raiders to death. You vault down off the hayloft and sprint straight down main street.

"FEEL THE TITIAN GRIP OF MARCUS! FEAR THE IRON COCK OF MARCUS! MARCUS USES BOTH EQUALLY AND BOTH ARE EQUALLY LETHAL!"

MUST RUN FASTER THAN BULLETS ROLL [13]

You charge straight into torch wielding mob before they can react and turn the force of your sprint into a flying superman punch.

Fists are generally not effective weapons and deal non-lethal damage, despite earlier claims roll
[4]

The blow knocks your target out cold and leaves him face down in a puddle of blood with a broken nose.  You stand over him, screaming.

"THE TITAN FIST HAS BEEN DELIVERED! NOW WHO WANTS THE IRON PHALLUS?!"

Follow Beethro carefully.

"Ahh, dark, this is worse than trapdoors under tar.  I can't see anything!"

Open the door to the hallway and see if I can see anything.  If not, continue heading towards the exit until I'm out on the street.
Bill and Beethro scramble down the stairs in the dark and into the great room, where the innkeeper is blearily walking out of his room, holding a candle.

"Whats all thi-" He asks but Bill and Beethro are already out the door and onto the street. To their right they can see several torches held aloft by shadowy figures and a burning building.  One of the torches suddenly goes flying and lands on the ground as another shadowy figure leaps into the crowd and knocks one of the torch wielders down.  Both of them hear something about "Iron Phallus" and immediately intuit that the attacking figure is Marcus.

The three remaining raiders shrink back from Marcus, stepping away with their torches held out between them and him. They're looking at each other, arguing quickly in harsh whispers. Finally one of them yells, "It's blown, run!" and they ditch their torches and run off into the darkness, seemingly running towards the wall of the cathedral. They're out of sight in seconds.  Back in the lower district, people are already starting to peak their heads out of their homes. Some have pitch forks, hammers or sharpened metal rods in hand and are moving toward the burning building, while others are simply poking their head out their door. 

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2016, 11:21:29 am »

Chase after the fleeing Raiders or try to cut them off. Attack them with my new sword.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:57:50 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2016, 11:28:32 am »

"Haha! RUN, COWARDS! YOU CANNOT DEFEAT THE ROCK HARD MARCUS!"

"Dad oh my god."

"What? Is only taunt."

"Ugh. At least we have this jackass. I think we could probably interrogate him before they string him up, yeah?"

"Eh?"

"So we know where the bandit camp is."

"Oh. Oh yes! I approve this plan! But first, I think there is a fire?"

"Oh fuck- Quick, get some water! I'll tie up this guy. With... something."

Time to save the city! Marcus attempts to help with the whole 'burning building' situation, Alanna ties up the raider with whatever is on hand / can be scavenged from the immediant area, then recruits townsfolk into the fire effort.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2016, 11:36:24 am »

Run towards the wall in an attempt to cut off the raiders.  Attack if Beethro manages to catch any.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2016, 05:37:42 pm »

"AAAHHHHHHHH!"

THAT SCREAMING WOMAN ISN'T DEAD!  AMAZING--SHE MUST KNOW SOMETHING!  MIMIC HER EXACTLY BY SCREAMING AND RUNNING IN THE SAME DIRECTION!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2016, 08:23:38 pm »

"Hahaha! What a rush! I could shoot people for the rest of my life!"

Reload while chasing after them! More blood!

Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2016, 10:34:10 am »

"Haha! RUN, COWARDS! YOU CANNOT DEFEAT THE ROCK HARD MARCUS!"

"Dad oh my god."

"What? Is only taunt."

"Ugh. At least we have this jackass. I think we could probably interrogate him before they string him up, yeah?"

"Eh?"

"So we know where the bandit camp is."

"Oh. Oh yes! I approve this plan! But first, I think there is a fire?"

"Oh fuck- Quick, get some water! I'll tie up this guy. With... something."

Time to save the city! Marcus attempts to help with the whole 'burning building' situation, Alanna ties up the raider with whatever is on hand / can be scavenged from the immediant area, then recruits townsfolk into the fire effort.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)

You leave the unconscious raider to your precious offspring and run over to the burning structure. The building is a simple one, stone walls with a wooden roof, and judging by the lack of windows is probably a store house rather than someone's home. The fire is burning ferociously on the roof but you can also see that it is burning on the stone as well. There's something clearly unnatural about this flame.

Marcus is not a fireman roll [16]

You scramble around, looking for something to put the fire out with. There's no river or well in here, and you have no idea where they store their water. After several minutes of terrified spazing you run back to the building and attempt to blow it out. This doesn't work. So you spit on it. This also doesn't work. You're about halfway through removing your pants to try and, well, quench the flames with your personal fire hose, when someone stops you. It's a villager, his face covered in soot.

"Forget the fire; it will burn itself out. Get what you can from inside before it catches light too."

But Marcus can lift roll [6]

You charge straight into the burning building, squinting with stinging eyes through the smoke and rain of embers. You grope forward, almost blind, until your hand finds a wooden crate. You scoop it up and run back outside.  You dump the crate down a good distance from the burning building and take a moment to catch your breath before diving back in. You do this several more times, along with a few brave villagers, until the main roof beam of the building cracks and begins to sag.  You get out with one last crate and sit down on top of it, watching as the roof finally cracks and caves in, bursting in a huge plume of embers.

"AAAHHHHHHHH!"

THAT SCREAMING WOMAN ISN'T DEAD!  AMAZING--SHE MUST KNOW SOMETHING!  MIMIC HER EXACTLY BY SCREAMING AND RUNNING IN THE SAME DIRECTION!

You pull yourself up off the ground and sprint after the woman, imitating her screaming in a way that...well, frankly comes off as a bit mocking. You chase her around the darkness for a good 10 minutes, following nothing but the sound of her voice like some sort of weird variant of marco-polo. Eventually she tires out and stops running and screaming. Instead she turns and decides that rather than run from the shadowy figure that is chasing her, she's gonna try and fight it. And you run straight up on to her as she decides this. [4]

Her punch is awkward and her fist actually completely misses you. But the combination of you sprinting forward while she swings her arms around results in an unintentional lariat. [-4 HP].

You catch the woman's arm right on your face and end up on your back with your ears ringing and the breath knocked out of you. Otherwise you're uninjured; but the woman has already ran back off into the darkness, this time without the screaming that would allow you to follow her.

"Hahaha! What a rush! I could shoot people for the rest of my life!"

Reload while chasing after them! More blood!

Run towards the wall in an attempt to cut off the raiders.  Attack if Beethro manages to catch any.

Chase after the fleeing Raiders or try to cut them off. Attack them with my new sword.

Gordon loads two more shells into his shotgun as he, Beethro and Bill run after the fleeing raiders. The three of them run through the dark until they reach the far wall of the cathedral and then follow it for a while. They stoop and squint and run their hands along the wall, feeling for holes, all the while listening carefully for the sound of running feet or whispers or some hint of movement.
Clues are difficult things to find roll [19]
After a good 20 minutes of fruitless searching they decide to return to the lower district. Running around in the dark like this won't do them any good, and the raiders are more than likely long gone by now. At the very least they need torches to search more effectively in the dark.  They walk back to where Alanna has the unconscious raider tied up.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2016, 11:40:43 am »

Hey, wait, Beethro has a torch, the better to search with.

Could I retcon that a little?  Just as long as at least one of Bill or Gordon watches my back.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:45:03 am by Devastator »

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:07 am »

PTW

Also, would lycanthropy be a valid affinity?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2016, 12:17:13 pm »

Oh god, she tricked me!  And now she's silently hiding in the darkness waiting for me to let down my guard again!  Well, I learned a trick too--run in the opposite direction from her while not screaming!

((@Rauth, no.  You can't exactly hold lycanthropy in your hand.  You might be allowed to have "werewolf" as your affinity, but I'd recommend against it--you want something general.))
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 53