Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 75547 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2016, 11:51:41 pm »

"Now, those are all good things to know and all, but there is a pair of extra peculiarities that I'm wondering about."

How did they get into the city, and what were they doing with that woman?

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2016, 12:18:12 pm »

((soundtrack of this evening's posting was the ZOMBI soundtrack by Goblin))

Also, would lycanthropy be a valid affinity?
((@Rauth, no.  You can't exactly hold lycanthropy in your hand.  You might be allowed to have "werewolf" as your affinity, but I'd recommend against it--you want something general.))
((It would actually depend on if it is a curse or a disease. You could hold a vial of lycanthropy if it was a disease. Though general is probably the better route to go (so even if you could choose lycanthropy you should instead go for general were disease so you could also have things like werebear and wereslime). At the very least though make it very much central to your character. My wait list character rolled the mech limb as a quirk so I chose Prosthetics for mine. Final Edit: Though of course it all falls on PW with what can be chosen))

Those were my thoughts on it. (I would probably choose Therianthropy instead if I'm allowed to for my affinity, or have lycanthropy as my quirk if PW allows it.) Rolling up a character right now, should have a character in the waitlist soon.

Although, thinking about it...
Lycanthropy as quirk and shadow for my affinity. (Classically it would count as an element along with light.) This would be my preference if both are allowed by PW.

Edit: Can you use one of your stat rerolls for your health?

Edit2: Character sheet with two rerolls left, to be changed as the answers to above questions are provided.
Spoiler: Shaarin (click to show/hide)

Edit 3: Character sheet that has used all rerolls. I'm assuming that rerolling money would be both dice again.
Shadow as an affinity is a bit odd because while I suppose you can technically hold it in your hand, or rather let it fall on your hand, it isn't a real thing so much as it is an absence of something. And it has no physical form so it can't be used to injure someone or damage things, just create areas that lack light.

Oh and Lycanthropy as it is ain't gonna be a thing. Now, if you wanted to, say, have a wolf's head which gives you an enhanced melee attack, we can do that, because that will rob you of the ability to speak and make villagers hateful of you if they see it because they hate magic and other bullshit. And thats something with a positive and negative.

Alright, I'm fine with that. Also, taking Devastator's suggestion of using Wolves as my affinity

Edit: Forgot to change the backstory
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:55:00 pm by Rautherdir »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2016, 01:36:12 pm »

((It occurs to me that Marcus shouldn't have been able to run and punch like he did; the downside of heavy armor and heavy weapons is that you can't move and attack in the same turn.  Perhaps that rule could be changed to "If you move and attack in the same turn, your attack is considered impaired"?  It's easier to understand and enforce, plus it isn't a significant concession.))

syv rests quietly with his back to the wall, gradually calming himself down.  He rubs his face where he caught the woman's arm, starting to wonder why she didn't rip his throat out once he went down.  She was clearly a siren, luring him with her voice to a false safety, but don't sirens eat the people they lure?  Strange.

((Taking a breather to recover HP.))

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2016, 01:51:20 pm »

Yeah, that makes sense.  I wanted it dark for the suprise attack, I shouldn't have the torch lit.

This is going well.  Beethro can search for the entrance while they interview this guy.  Get the torch lit first.

I don't want anyone else coming in, and I want to find if they hurt anyone else in the break-in.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:37:57 pm by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2016, 02:03:44 pm »

Stick with Beethro. Go help search.

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2016, 05:09:51 am »

Alright, I'm fine with that. Also, taking Devastator's suggestion of using Wolves as my affinity

((To me it seems you rerolled five times. Also quirk is something you roll from roll table.))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:12:50 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2016, 09:28:34 am »

((To me it seems you rerolled five times. Also quirk is something you roll from roll table.))

Huh? I rerolled Strength once, HP once, and money once.

Quirk can be something PW approves.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:01 pm »

((soundtrack of this evening's posting was the ZOMBI soundtrack by Goblin))

Also, would lycanthropy be a valid affinity?
((@Rauth, no.  You can't exactly hold lycanthropy in your hand.  You might be allowed to have "werewolf" as your affinity, but I'd recommend against it--you want something general.))
((It would actually depend on if it is a curse or a disease. You could hold a vial of lycanthropy if it was a disease. Though general is probably the better route to go (so even if you could choose lycanthropy you should instead go for general were disease so you could also have things like werebear and wereslime). At the very least though make it very much central to your character. My wait list character rolled the mech limb as a quirk so I chose Prosthetics for mine. Final Edit: Though of course it all falls on PW with what can be chosen))

Those were my thoughts on it. (I would probably choose Therianthropy instead if I'm allowed to for my affinity, or have lycanthropy as my quirk if PW allows it.) Rolling up a character right now, should have a character in the waitlist soon.

Although, thinking about it...
Lycanthropy as quirk and shadow for my affinity. (Classically it would count as an element along with light.) This would be my preference if both are allowed by PW.

Edit: Can you use one of your stat rerolls for your health?

Edit2: Character sheet with two rerolls left, to be changed as the answers to above questions are provided.

Edit 3: Character sheet that has used all rerolls. I'm assuming that rerolling money would be both dice again.
Shadow as an affinity is a bit odd because while I suppose you can technically hold it in your hand, or rather let it fall on your hand, it isn't a real thing so much as it is an absence of something. And it has no physical form so it can't be used to injure someone or damage things, just create areas that lack light.

Oh and Lycanthropy as it is ain't gonna be a thing. Now, if you wanted to, say, have a wolf's head which gives you an enhanced melee attack, we can do that, because that will rob you of the ability to speak and make villagers hateful of you if they see it because they hate magic and other bullshit. And thats something with a positive and negative.

Added to waitlist.

Alanna stares at the raider flatly. "Location and population of your camp or camps, number and location of people on lookout, general overview of armaments, spots you tend to ambush people on the roads and tactics when doing so."

'So smart!' Marcus thinks, fatherly pride surging at this most efficient interrogation.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)

The raider glares at Alanna with obvious distaste and annoyance, before shifting his position and laying back against the chair, head tilted up and eyes on the ceiling, thinking as he speaks.

"The camp is off the main road; look for a tree with three scratches on the side facing the road. Right from there. Uh, there's eight of us and the boss, or whatever number is left with me and the guys you killed gone.  There's usually a guy or two on look out near the entrance to the forest during the day but none at night. I dunno what the other guys have, really. Guns, few of 'em. Mostly blades I think. Oh and flame syrup. Lots of that. The boss can spit it because he's a wizard.  And uh...Last time we just waited till they was going past and then shot at them.  Nothing special. Just got'em by surprise is all."

"Now, those are all good things to know and all, but there is a pair of extra peculiarities that I'm wondering about."

How did they get into the city, and what were they doing with that woman?

"Ah...there's like, this section of wall that slides out right? We just slide it out and then go through. I could take you there, maybe, but it's not obvious, ya know? I never lead there, so I remember where it is, where it is probably.

That lady? Well, we were coming in, heading for the storehouses to get some food and some water sacks. And we're almost there when we run right into this lady, right? I dunno what she was doing, but we run straight into her and she starts screaming her lungs out. And Mo,  Mo's the guy that got us in, he grabs her and starts telling her to get quiet. But she already yelled so, things went as they are."

((It occurs to me that Marcus shouldn't have been able to run and punch like he did; the downside of heavy armor and heavy weapons is that you can't move and attack in the same turn.  Perhaps that rule could be changed to "If you move and attack in the same turn, your attack is considered impaired"?  It's easier to understand and enforce, plus it isn't a significant concession.))

syv rests quietly with his back to the wall, gradually calming himself down.  He rubs his face where he caught the woman's arm, starting to wonder why she didn't rip his throat out once he went down.  She was clearly a siren, luring him with her voice to a false safety, but don't sirens eat the people they lure?  Strange.

((Taking a breather to recover HP.))

((Technically, he never did say he had it equipped. And really, who the hell sleeps in plate armor?))

You settle down next to the wall and mess with your nose, trying to figure out if its broken or not. You squeeze the the bridge and wince. You settle back down with a sigh and close your eyes, not sleeping, just trying to regain your composure. This entire thing, this entire mess of a day spilling over into a frightening and dangerous night has been...quite terrible really. And you'll probably be having an even worse day tomorrow. Ugh. You sniff and wrinkle your nose, testing the pain of it. It's getting less sore at least, even if you still feel the impression of her Ulna on your face.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I wanted it dark for the suprise attack, I shouldn't have the torch lit.

This is going well.  Beethro can search for the entrance while they interview this guy.  Get the torch lit first.

I don't want anyone else coming in, and I want to find if they hurt anyone else in the break-in.

Stick with Beethro. Go help search.

Turns out searching is far easier with a light roll [2]

Beethro and Bill head back off into the dark, but this time with the lit torches the raiders left behind. They walk back the way they came, in the rough direction of the raiders fled, and eventually reach the wall. They carefully search the area, walking back and forth along the walls, stooping down and standing on tip toes, running their hands along the stones and listening carefully for any sound of wind or out of place noise. In one section of wall they find what looks like a thin piece of darkly colored material, plastic maybe or something akin to it, under the bottom most bricks of the wall. Beethro pushes on the bricks just above the plastic and a small section of wall sides in a few inches. He pulls it next and manages to slide the entire small bit of wall out  and reveal a small tunnel. It's only just large enough to crawl through, but its definitely big enough to traverse with relative ease.  Both Bill and Beethro bend down and hold their torches to shine some light into the tunnel. The tunnel traverses the entire thickness of the wall, ending with another small bit of wall with plastic under it; another makeshift door no doubt. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2016, 07:32:57 pm »

"You've been surprisingly helpful, thank you. I promised you that I'd let you go if you were helpful, and it's probably not as safe for you to leave by the main gate, so could you lead me to this gap in the wall?"

Untie the guy and have him lead me to the entrance. Once he's showed it to me, let him leave by that some entrance.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2016, 08:10:12 pm »

Continue to rest.  Just passing time, now.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2016, 09:18:20 pm »

"What? No? Marcus say reward for assistance is time in cell, not freedom or lynching. He still crimminal."

"Plus he could go back to his buddies and warn them. Bad idea."

Advocate relocating crimminal to local police force.

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2016, 10:29:27 pm »

"The people around here will probably just kill him anyway."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2016, 11:55:42 pm »

Ponder whether or not any danger could be waiting for us on the other side of the tunnel.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2016, 07:21:28 am »

"It just goes straight through.  Not much point in doing anything with it.  Lets just block it up and tell someone about it.  Then go with the plan tomorrow."

Try to block this end of the tunnel, and tell someone about it, before passing time to morning.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2016, 10:37:56 pm »

Continue to rest.  Just passing time, now.

I'd say you have a turn or two until your rest is up, depending on the actions other people take and the length of them.

Ponder whether or not any danger could be waiting for us on the other side of the tunnel.

Bill ponders if his dangerous job is dangerous roll
[16]

You think about it for a second. Yeah, there's a pretty good chance that crawling into a dark tunnel in the middle of the night could be dangerous. The raiders could have booby trapped it. They might be waiting just outside to bring axes down on anyone that crawls after them. Maybe the outer wall is rigged with explosive. Maybe there are poisonous snakes and spiders in there. You're not a freaking mystic, you can't see the future, so you really have no goddamn idea whats waiting out there or in there or even around here in the damn dark. Could be anything. And it's probably mean.

"It just goes straight through.  Not much point in doing anything with it.  Lets just block it up and tell someone about it.  Then go with the plan tomorrow."

Try to block this end of the tunnel, and tell someone about it, before passing time to morning.
Remember your sheet.

You carefully push the section of the wall back into place, making sure it all lines up just right. Once you have it in place, you grab Bill the wrist and drag him back to town. He seems rather lost in thought at the moment, mumbling about the probabilities of lightning strikes and shark attacks. Once back in the lower district you find that the store house has finished burning; there's nothing left of the roof but the stone walls are still intact, if badly charred. Many of the villagers have returned to their homes but a few are milling around, filled with anxious energy that has no outlet. They look at you as you walk by, as though waiting for you to lead them or do something. Instead you just keep going, returning to the Inn. The innkeeper is nowhere to be seen as you walk in, and you don't bother trying to find him, instead you head straight up to the room. You pull the door open and find your little room crammed full of your companions, and a raider tied to a chair.

"I..." You look at Bill, who is whispering something about anaphylactic shock, "...we found the path they used to get in and out. It's a little double door and tunnel through the wall."

"Ah, good." Gordon says, looking from you back to the raider, "We knew about it thanks to this one, but not exactly where it was. This is all coming together nicely."

"You've been surprisingly helpful, thank you. I promised you that I'd let you go if you were helpful, and it's probably not as safe for you to leave by the main gate, so could you lead me to this gap in the wall?"

Untie the guy and have him lead me to the entrance. Once he's showed it to me, let him leave by that some entrance.

"What? No? Marcus say reward for assistance is time in cell, not freedom or lynching. He still crimminal."

"Plus he could go back to his buddies and warn them. Bad idea."

Advocate relocating crimminal to local police force.

Gordon circles around behind the raider's chair and starts to untie him, at least enough to get the guy off the chair and fit to walk.  He doesn't even get through a single knot before Marcus comes up and grabs his hands.

"Marcus says this man must go to the police!"

"We are the police here. The closest thing to the rule of law out there is the mayor and a lynch mob."

"Then to the Mayor he must go."

"Look out the window man, you see those people? You wanna walk miles across tile and up stairs to the mayor's office in the middle of the night when there's a crowd out there that is one good chant or slogan away from disemboweling this guy for catharsis' sake? You wanna have to be the one to fight back the mob and potentially get murdered because they're so mad for blood they'll kill anyone in the way of their revenge?  Because I don't." He starts to undo the bindings again.

"It is not right! He is a criminal. Like Alanna says. He will tell them about Marcus and you others. You cannot expect that he will just go on his way."

"What do you suggest then?"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 53