Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 75371 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2016, 07:58:30 pm »

"That's fine, you can always count on a smitemaster.  I'll get that wizard and anything else in there.  So many crazy people underground."

Head off with the others

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2016, 08:26:15 pm »

syv shivers a bit and cowers behind Bill.  After Bill asks his question, he peeks out from behind him to ask some of his own "Uh, yeah, and what about the other people?  Are there, like, a lot?  Or not many or just a couple or, uh.  Is the wizard the main threat?"

Mumble the above question jumble.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 09:48:20 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot to ask since I'm watilisting but when I get in could I put my flimsy armor over my normal armor?
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2016, 02:12:49 am »

((...How did I nearly forget to get the crowbar? I must be slipping. Action edited.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2016, 02:09:47 pm »

Name: Douglas Douglas
Backstory: Son of a blacksmith, Douglas Douglas was casted out from a early age due to eating too many tools. He joined the Mage Hunter Guilt in hopes of good food.

HP:1
Strength:14
Dexterity:10
Mind:7
Wizard Level:0
Affinity: Sand
Inventory: D4: 4
(6)(17):Eightball
(3)(1): Unlit Torch
(3)(1): Unlit Torch
(3)(7): Crutch
(10 silver) Big Hammer d8 damage
(10 silver) Tools: Hammer, Nails, Saw, 5x 20ft bundle of rope, backpack, toolbelt.

Money: (3)(1):20 silver
Added to waitlist.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask since I'm watilisting but when I get in could I put my flimsy armor over my normal armor?
Nope!

"Do you know of anything this wizard can do? Does he focus on fire, water, or is he a generalist? I'll kill them either way, but it'd be nice to have some idea of what they can do."

Ask a question.

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
The mayor strokes his chin thoughtfully and stares at the ceiling for a moment.

"Is a good question. The only knowledge I have comes from survivors and you know their kind, I wager. He was 9 foot tall and breathed fire, cut the heads off babies while venting his husbandly frustrations on a cow. But we found parts of one of the wagons, all burnt up. I don't know if it was part of their acts or just burning that which they cannot pillage."

Gordon grins in a not quite comfortable way, and laughs.
"Sounds good, man. I'll see the rest of you fools in the forest!"
Run off into town to purchase a d8 double-barrel breech-loading shotgun for 10sp and a crowbar for 1sp.

You abandon the office as soon as an opportunity presents itself and scamper off down the creaking wooden catwalks towards the upper districts. This cathedral is odd; it is inhuman in size but the individual pieces are quite ordinary. The joists which Crisscross the area below the sharp pitched roof are of the size you'd expect to find in a normal building. The sort of thing a man might hew out of an average tree. The stones in the walls are the sort that a man might carve from a quarry. But the joists span an area a half mile wide, and the wall, though made of normal stone blocks, is a hundred layers thick, least as far as you can guess. A giant's cathedral made by men in direct defiance of the natural laws.

The upper districts are, much like the mayor's office, wooden buildings built with the joists as their foundation. They're clustered near the stained glass window that makes up much of the rear of the catheral's wall. Sunlight bathes the district in a many hued glow through the window, painting normally dull buildings in a warm rainbow of colors. The actual construction of the district reminds you of the sort of thing you'd find in swamps; haphazardly arranged buildings connected by a maze of wooden paths and overhead walkways that connect one structure to another.  It takes some searching but you eventually find what seems to be the closest thing this place has to a store.  Its a fairly large building, but unassuming in construction or decoration; just a wooden box with a signboard out front depicting pictograms of a wrapped package and a coin. The interior is likewise unimpressive; there's a counter, and a great many shelves, but all of them are empty. Instead it seems the goods are all packed away in crates that litter the area behind the counter, tall stacks of crates with paper tags tacked to them.  The shop owner is standing in one corner, clipboard in hand, tallying goods and checking boxes.  The place smells stagnant, old air, old wood, slightly rotten food.

"Oi!" you shout, simultaneously rapping your knuckles on the counter, "I need a gun, some ammo and a crowbar."

The shop keeper turns to look at you, squinting through his round little spectacles.  He notices your guild badge and nods slowly, not saying anything. It takes him a good 15 minutes to find what you asked for and get it unpacked. He lays it out on the counter and tallies it in the ledger before speaking.

"Gun's loaded, but only got the two shots. Box of ammo a silver."

You give him the money for the Crowbar and Shotgun, forming a little silver tower of coins on the counter.

"Marcus gonna hold you to your word. Marcus is worried about what bandits might do to his daughter. Marcus accepts the job! Marcus gonna go bust some heads. Marcus expects a weight mesure for when he returns."

Marcus gonna go find some transportation. Marcus also gonna tell his kid he's going out for a while. Marcus knows a guy, she can stay with him for a while.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Do you want to have your daughter exist as a Low level NPC that actually follows the group or would you prefer her to remain abstracted?

You stride confidently out of the office, down the wooden walkways and about halfway to the upper district before you stop dead in your tracks.

"Wait. Marcus think that high up place probably not good to find ride things. They down there, Marcus think."

You peer down, far below at the tiled interior of the cathedral and the structures scattered around it. Under the Upper district and the middle district is the lower district. Most of the population lives down there in shacks and small homes, clustered around the center of the isle. There are stables and cart houses down there, along with the trade post and the platform used to bring goods up to the other districts. You and your team rode that platform to get up here, but it looks like no one is manning it now; meaning the only way down is a long series of stairs that spiral down around one of the ceiling support columns. It takes you a good 20 minutes to make your way down, but you eventually make it to the ground floor and cross the wide field of mosaic tiles over to the cart house and stables. 

The stables are a long, thinly made building, not more than a wooden frame with no roof and unevenly finished walls. Inside are thin, straw floored pens, about half of which are empty. The occupied ones hold Crawlers, strange creatures often used to draw plows an carts. They're donut shaped with hundreds of legs branching off from either side; Like a centipede biting its own tail. Their bodies are soft though, pudgy, bright green and their legs are like human fingers without nails. Just fleshy protuberances without detail.  You've seen them before; they both roll and walk forward in a very strange fashion, and they normally make carts just for them, with big circular axles that are fit into the Crawler's central hole and then attached to the cart by two long wooden supports.  A quick glace into the cart house confirms that they have a few carts like that on hand.  A crawler and cart would provide ample transport, but you're not sure if you could afford one.

"That's fine, you can always count on a smitemaster.  I'll get that wizard and anything else in there.  So many crazy people underground."

Head off with the others

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)
We'll, the party has split three ways, so you're gonna have to make a  choice of which of the three you'd like to be with.

syv shivers a bit and cowers behind Bill.  After Bill asks his question, he peeks out from behind him to ask some of his own "Uh, yeah, and what about the other people?  Are there, like, a lot?  Or not many or just a couple or, uh.  Is the wizard the main threat?"

Mumble the above question jumble.

"There's six or so, we think. I've seen at least 3 myself. They come at night, steal into the lower districts and make off with what they please. Alone they'd be no threat to us, the militia would have'em strung up outside the gate without bother. But that damned wizard of theirs is enough to put the militia in a very skittish persuasion.  Regardless of their numbers, if you kill that Wizard, you'll more than likely scatters his men, and we can handle the rest."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »

"Marcus' daughter is not abstraction! She is beautiful! HOW DARE YOU INSULT HER! MARCUS WILL TEAR YOUR PUNY ARMS OFF!"

Marcus needs to negotiate. Marcus needs to stress importance of mission to mayor. Marcus is sure he will understand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:59:59 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »

"Hmm. Am I right in gathering that your people harvest metal growths around here? How much could you give me for these?"
Try to barter the steel file and bolt cutters as agricultural tools, in exchange for a box of shells.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2016, 03:25:45 pm »

((PW, as long as I have the Grimoire, does that mean I can summon more of the monsters for mind points after the first three? Also, since they are cow/horse sized, can we ride them?))

"Hmm...could be tough, but I think we can manage. Mister Mayor, is there any chance you would be willing to loan me a better weapon? This cleaver can get the job done, but the more effective the weapon, the less time I have to spend fighting that wizard."

Ask for gear. Regardless of the answer, head on down to look for the rest of the group.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 04:40:47 pm »

((PTW!))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2016, 08:24:07 pm »

((@Bei No, and probably.  Latter likely depends upon body shape; I think it might be kinda difficult to ride a snake.  I wonder if it's as heavy as a horse, wide as a horse, or tall as a horse...))

"Ah, uh, that's kinda good I guess?  Yo--uh, we can probably take six guys, r-right?  Just gotta be careful.  Maybe wait for night, then they'll be distracted and tired... i guess we'll be tired too though."

Stick close to Bill's brainy butt.  Not too close though.  He might burst into fire or something.  Can't have that.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2016, 10:50:57 pm »

Look at the road the caravan is going to head on.  What sort of terrain is it to be passing through?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:43:56 am by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 09:07:46 am »

"Marcus' daughter is not abstraction! She is beautiful! HOW DARE YOU INSULT HER! MARCUS WILL TEAR YOUR PUNY ARMS OFF!"

Marcus needs to negotiate. Marcus needs to stress importance of mission to mayor. Marcus is sure he will understand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Alright then, she's an npc sitting in the Mayor's office for now.)

You poke around the stables a bit until you find someone to talk to. He's a terribly afflicted fellow, jawless and bugeyed with a sucker mouth and the build of a lanky teen crossed with a turkey.  Most likely the victim of some manner of magic exposure. Perhaps the legendary "Ugly Stick" spoken of in song. He's changing the hay in one of the stalls and shoveling the luminous blue manure into a cart.

"Marcus needs cart and crawler!" You shout, walking up right next to him and putting your face uncomfortably close to his.

He blinks at you very slowly before replying.  "Who is Marcus?"

"Marcus is Marcus!" You bang on your chest with your fist.

"Why you talk like that?"

"Marcus talks like Marcus talks because Marcus is Marcus!"

Slow blinking is the only reply.

"Gah! Marcus requires cart and crawler! Get Marcus man who can give this to Marcus! Marcus is on an important mission! Marcus has wizards to murder!"

The stableboy blinks one more time before slowly walking away with great noodle legged strides. He returns a few minutes later with an older man. This man seems far sharper, short and barrel chested with gray hair around his temples and intense black eyes.

"You need a cart and crawler eh?" He looks you over a moment. "You're going after that wizard eh? I'll make you a deal; you leave me some collateral and I'll let you take a cart and crawler for free. But if you get em killed or burnt up or something, then you're pay'n for them both."

"Hmm. Am I right in gathering that your people harvest metal growths around here? How much could you give me for these?"
Try to barter the steel file and bolt cutters as agricultural tools, in exchange for a box of shells.

You place the file and the bolt cutters down on the counter as you ask. The shop keeper adjusts his spectacles and picks up the file. He squints at it, turning it over in his hands a few times before moving on to the cutters. He inspects the blades of the cutters and gives it a few test snips to make sure the action still works.

"I'll take the cutters for a box of shells.  And two shells for the file"

((PW, as long as I have the Grimoire, does that mean I can summon more of the monsters for mind points after the first three? Also, since they are cow/horse sized, can we ride them?))

"Hmm...could be tough, but I think we can manage. Mister Mayor, is there any chance you would be willing to loan me a better weapon? This cleaver can get the job done, but the more effective the weapon, the less time I have to spend fighting that wizard."

Ask for gear. Regardless of the answer, head on down to look for the rest of the group.

(No. Grimoires are like guns that summon monsters. Their power is that you don't need to use up anything to summon them. Where as normally summons require you to effectively lose some points permanently so long as they are out. Same with self enhancement and such; you can make yourself stronger but the points spent to do so won't replenish as long as it is active. They also let you summon things that are bigger and more complex than your level might allow.)

The mayor thinks for a moment and then nods.  He pulls a piece of paper out of a pile and tears off a corner before rummaging through the rest of the detritus on his desk to find a pot of ink and a pen. He scribbles out a small note on the slip of paper and hands it to you.

"Take that to the general store.  It's in the upper district, just follow the path, its on the right. Assuming Clive hasn't moved out yet, he'll give you a weapon as a loan."

You thank the mayor and tuck the note into your pocket before heading out the door. You pause just outside the office and look around, trying to guess where your team went. They all just wandered off on their own; not a very good sign of future teamwork you must say. Then again, the Guild did just throw you all together recently, so its to be expected, in a way. You scratch your chin thoughtfully. Well, might as well go see if anyone else is at the general store and pick up that weapon at the same time. You follow the path away from the office and keep an eye to the right. When you eventually get to the shop you find Gordon at the counter, haggling with the shopkeeper.

((@Bei No, and probably.  Latter likely depends upon body shape; I think it might be kinda difficult to ride a snake.  I wonder if it's as heavy as a horse, wide as a horse, or tall as a horse...))

"Ah, uh, that's kinda good I guess?  Yo--uh, we can probably take six guys, r-right?  Just gotta be careful.  Maybe wait for night, then they'll be distracted and tired... i guess we'll be tired too though."

Stick close to Bill's brainy butt.  Not too close though.  He might burst into fire or something.  Can't have that.

You follow closely behind Bill, who doesn't really seem to acknowledge your existence. Which, frankly, is kind of a positive thing. If he doesn't notice you then maybe the enemy will overlook you. You make plans to silently slink off if things get hairy. Or even a bit stubble-ly.

Look at the road the caravan is going to head on.  What sort of terrain is it to be passing through?
In this case we're gonna assume you headed down with Marcus but split up once you reached ground level.

It's a fair walk from the stairs to the door of the cathedral, its huge gates laying just slightly open. Beyond the threshold of the cathedral is an expanse of metallic land, unyeilding metal earth and crinkling aluminum foil grass. You look around and, after a bit of investigation, discover what you believe is the major route out of town. There's no tell tale wearing away of the earth or divots of wagon wheels, but the metal grass has been bent down, which you can only assume means things have passed over it a good deal. You follow the little path out a ways, until it curves and heads south, towards an expanse of huge metal pillars, what must be the Ironwoods the mayor spoke of. Before the iron woods everything is open ground, with no place to set up an ambush or encircle victims before attacking; but those woods are the perfect place to do either. If the wagons are gonna get attacked, it's gonna be in there.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 10:39:10 am »

"Marcus understands. Marcus is willing to barter family heirloom. This hourglass has been passed down Marcus's family for generations! Great sentimental value, sand is made out of generations of cremated remains. Father can tell Marcus he is wasting time even from grave! Haha! Ah, joke made Marcus sad. Marcus desires greatly to join ancestors and wife when time has come, but practical needs outweigh tradition until Marcus gets paid. Marcus hopes this will do!"

Trade Hourglass as colatteral. Retrieve daughter and bring cart to the exit point.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 11:03:32 am »

Gordon quickly examines his new shotgun, cooing softly.
"Simply beautiful. Thank you, trader sir."

Trade the bolt cutters and file for 8 shells. Carefully clean and examine the shotgun while Bill does his thing.

((Important GM note! the ammo counter on my firearm has total loaded ammo on the left, and total unloaded ammo on the right, like in an FPS. This looks different from the counter on syv's firearm, so could you tell me which standard we should use?))
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:47:50 pm by Egan_BW »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 11:28:47 am »

Bill gives a nod in greeting to Gordon before speaking to the man behind the counter. "Howdy. I'merely Bill. Are you Clive? The mayor gave me this note for a weapon loan." He says, introducing himself with a friendly smile.

Give note, see what weapons I can choose from, or what weapon I get if I don't get to choose.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 53