Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 75539 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2016, 11:58:07 am »

syv pauses for several seconds, looking between the crowd and the direction he came from.  A low whine emits from him, right up until he realizes that Egan's action was ignored and nobody's chasing him.  He releases shuddering sigh, then sits down

Welp, sit down right there then.  Keep watch on that crowd though.  Make sure they're not up to anything.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2016, 04:02:19 pm »

Ain't nobody got that kind of money! Sleeping on hay it is then. Head on down the stairs to the stables.

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2016, 04:31:52 pm »

To the stables. Find a nice hay pile to sleep on.

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:20:19 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »

"Very well. Marcus beds in hay tonight. Come Alanna, We must secure the pile!"

"Mmm."

Secure the hay pile!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2016, 12:45:49 am »

Try to negotiate a free room by presenting the innkeeper with the idea that Beethro will be rich tomorrow (and can pay extra) or dead.  If that fails, to the hayloft.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2016, 05:00:54 pm »

syv pauses for several seconds, looking between the crowd and the direction he came from.  A low whine emits from him, right up until he realizes that Egan's action was ignored and nobody's chasing him.  He releases shuddering sigh, then sits down

Welp, sit down right there then.  Keep watch on that crowd though.  Make sure they're not up to anything.

You sit down on a stair that has a good view of the main gate. The gate is exactly the sort of thing you'd expect on a cathedral, a great big wooden double door with metal hinges. It's just several thousand times larger than normal. Around it, built into the walls and along the top, stretching all the way down to the floor, are a series of weights, pulleys, ropes and ratcheting wheels. The exact mechanisms of it all are beyond you, especially when viewed at this distance, but you can tell it's designed to open and close the door. There's a large group of people gathering round the ratcheting wheels down on the floor, and more are heading up scaffolds to operate mechanisms up on the top and sides of the door.  Through the gate shuffles a tiny procession of carts loaded with what looks like scrap metal. The carts aren't pulled by crawlers or any beast, instead they're pushed and pulled by men, a good dozen to each cart. You venture a guess that these are the "Farmers" of this land, harvesting metal flora for sale. They're pulling the carts over to the lower district, into storehouses. You shift your weight on the metal stair, staying as close to the stone column that it embedded in as possible. There's no railings here, no connecting pieces between the stairs. It's just a spiraling line of metal slabs that have been embedded into this pillar. Tripping would probably be fatal, unless you got lucky enough to get a limb twisted up in the steps.

This is not a good place to sleep. Or sit. Or stay for any period of time, honestly.

Try to negotiate a free room by presenting the innkeeper with the idea that Beethro will be rich tomorrow (and can pay extra) or dead.  If that fails, to the hayloft.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)
As the rest of the team heads for the lower district and a night spent in the embrace of slightly damp straw and who knows what kind of magic addled insects, you decide to break off and see if you can talk the inn keeper into giving you a free room for the night.  The inn isn't very far from the carthouse, so you quietly slip away as the rest of them are looking over the hayloft. The inn is a thin building, but two stories tall and painted a strange combo of eye-catching yellow with red designs and  images of flower strings and wreaths. And thanks to a lack of direct sunlight, it still looks pretty vibrant, despite probably being one of the oldest structure in the town. Inside there's a small lobby area with tables and chairs, and a bar with visible kitchen behind it. To the left is a staircase leading up to the rooms. There are a few men in here already, locals by the look of it, relaxing with metal tankards of some kind of dark and syrupy local brew. They raise their gaze from the table top to stare at you as you enter, but none of them move an inch. After a few moments they look back down, returning to the contemplation of their drink or the scratches in the table.

The innkeeper is a young man, dressed slightly better than everyone else, and lacking their sun hardened skin. He locks his gaze on you as you enter and holds it until you approach him.
[5]

You approach him with a confident stride, one thumb cocked under your guild badge, lifting it off your shirt and pushing it towards his face.

"I'm here to rid you of your town of its wizard problem. But I'll need to stay here the night before I set off into the woods. I hope a community man like yourself would see the benefit in providing me with a room. After all, I'm sure your business suffers greatly from the lack of trade and caravans moving through here of late."

The innkeeper nods. "A beneficial trade, surely. I'll make you a bargain; I'll give you a night here free on the condition that, when you and your posse return to reap your rewards, you all spend one fully paid night here before you depart. It is, I believe, a reasonable bargain. Our beds are soft, our food is warm, our booze is strong; everything a traveler could want."

You don't say anything, but you shake his hand and nod your head. He smiles and hands over a large iron key.

"Third room. We have diner for a few hours still, should you want it."

"Very well. Marcus beds in hay tonight. Come Alanna, We must secure the pile!"

"Mmm."

Secure the hay pile!
To the stables. Find a nice hay pile to sleep on.

Ain't nobody got that kind of money! Sleeping on hay it is then. Head on down the stairs to the stables.

Gordon, Bill, Marcus and his daughter all head to the carthouse. The hayloft isn't much more than the roof of the building, with bales of hay piled up on it. But, seeing as the entire town is enclosed in a structure, there's no real reason to bother with a roof on a place like this. Hay doesn't care about cutting the noise of its neighbors or keeping its nighttime affairs secret from others, after all.  The group sends a while gathering loose hay and piling it into crude beds. They aren't terrible as a place to sleep, surely there are worse, but it is sub-peasant level accommodations.

So we have a few people still wandering around or doing things; if you want to sleep and move on to tomorrow, do that as an action, otherwise I'm gonna assume you're just sitting around for the moment.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »

Go down to the bottom floor, and find some nice place to sleep the night.  Then do so.

In the morning, camp out some distance away from the big door, where it can be watched.  Stalk the team from a ways back once they leave.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2016, 05:29:42 pm »

Marcus and Alanna sleep soundly, awaiting tomorrow. Other people nearby are assailed with minor sonic damage.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2016, 05:35:13 pm »

The hell with it. Go see if I can talk my way into a room at the Inn too. See about getting some food. Then sleep until morning. If that doesn't work, just go back to the hayloft and sleep.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:56:21 pm by Beirus »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »

Dream about shooting Hunters in the face. Ahh, good times.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:40:49 pm by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2016, 12:41:21 am »

Sleep, check weapon, and dream of leaf juice.  Meet up with the others next morning, Beethro wants to see that plan.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2016, 12:59:04 pm »

Sleep, check weapon, and dream of leaf juice.  Meet up with the others next morning, Beethro wants to see that plan.
Dream about shooting Hunters in the face. Ahh, good times.

Marcus and Alanna sleep soundly, awaiting tomorrow. Other people nearby are assailed with minor sonic damage.
Gonna put you guys on the back burner for a moment, because doing your actions would effectively mean you having to spend another turn saying "CONTINUE TO BE UNCONSCIOUS" or maybe more than one turn. So for now, you wait for others to catch up with you.

The hell with it. Go see if I can talk my way into a room at the Inn too. See about getting some food. Then sleep until morning. If that doesn't work, just go back to the hayloft and sleep.

I'm gonna let this go through this time but in the future, do me a favor and give me a reason why you'd be doing this all of a sudden, because as is this is a pretty meta action. Someone you can't see and don't even know where is suddenly got a good action and you decide, with no in game rationale or capacity to see this happening, to copy his action. It doesn't make sense within the world, at least not as it is presented here. Now, if you were to say that you noticed Dev is missing and went looking for him or that you disliked this sleeping on hay thing and wanted to try your luck at the inn or whatever, that would be different.

[3]
You walk into the Inn while Beethro is still talking to the innkeeper and immediately try to piggy back on his success.

"Ah, Beethro my friend! Have you secured our room?"

"Our?" Both Beethro and the innkeeper say together.

"Yes, our! As in two of us. Together. At the same time."

The Innkeeper looks at Beethro with a combination of annoyance and confusion. "Were I a suspicious man I'd say I'd been swindled. If another companion of yours happens to grace my doorstep and expect a free room I don't think my hospitality will survive such an insult."

"No, no. No scam, just an...oversight. If anyone else comes to try and bum a room, I'll turn them away myself."

"Hmph. Well I suppose you two sharing a room is no worse than having just one man in there." The Innkeeper says rubbing his brow.

Go down to the bottom floor, and find some nice place to sleep the night.  Then do so.

In the morning, camp out some distance away from the big door, where it can be watched.  Stalk the team from a ways back once they leave.

What exactly are you looking for in terms of nice? Because your character has some pretty harsh mental problems which means that sleeping on hay with your friends might be a terrifying idea while sleeping curled up in a distant corner of a dark building might be great.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2016, 03:12:11 pm »

((My bad, PW. There was supposed to be a line in that action about the hay smelling funny and not wanting to be in close proximity to it. Must have deleted it when I was trying to make the post.))

To show I'm not just some shameless moocher, see if the innkeeper needs some help cleaning up or something. Help, then go to sleep.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2016, 11:37:03 pm »

I would like to sleep in some out of the way nook, where I can't easily be seen.  Hole in the wall, tight alley between two buildings, something like that.  And keep my hands on my weapons while I sleep, in case I'm attacked!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2016, 12:34:40 pm »

((My bad, PW. There was supposed to be a line in that action about the hay smelling funny and not wanting to be in close proximity to it. Must have deleted it when I was trying to make the post.))

To show I'm not just some shameless moocher, see if the innkeeper needs some help cleaning up or something. Help, then go to sleep.

The Innkeeper assures you he doesn't need your help.

Both you and Beethro head upstairs and find your room. The upstairs is nothing but a single hall with a series of doors along its right side, each identical and unnumbered. Beethro heads straight to the third one and uses a large iron key to get in. The room inside is...well, its better than a hayloft. It's a place, maybe 9 feet wide and 12 or so long, with a bed crammed up in one corner, a dresser crammed up in the other and a rug in the center. The rug is treadbare and faded, clearly scavenged from somewhere, the dresser is scuffed and dinged but looks functional. The bed is the one thing that looks new, Well, new-ish. It's a low wooden frame with a bulging mattress that resembles a single oversized pillow, topped with a heavy red blanket. Of course you can't make out a whole lot of detail; the only light source is a single thick yellowed window and the fading twilight that is getting through it.

"So are we gonna flip a coin to see who gets the bed or..."

As you say this Beethro walks to the bed and sits down on it.

"Ah. I'll take the rug then, shall I?"

"You shall."

"Right."

I would like to sleep in some out of the way nook, where I can't easily be seen.  Hole in the wall, tight alley between two buildings, something like that.  And keep my hands on my weapons while I sleep, in case I'm attacked!

You look around for someplace nice and secluded from your lofty perch. You eventually find it and carefully head the rest of the way down the stairs. By the time you reach the floor, it seems as though all the farmers have made it in, because the gate is starting to close. Hundreds of metal counterweights straight rope through pulleys and descend towards the surface from their lofty starting places high in the scaffolding. The door groans hideously as it closes, metal hinges scraping.

You quickly scamper away from all the excitement and over into the nearest corner of the building. There are no structures here, no people, nothing. Just darkness, stone walls and tiled floor. You search around with your hands, groping in the dark till you find a small hollow space in the wall just big enough to curl up inside. You wedge yourself in and breathe a sigh of relief. For the first time all day, you feel safe.

......SLEEPING.......SLEEPING.......SLEE-

Everyone wakes suddenly, startled out of sleep by something. A fading scream echos through the night. Everyone in the hayloft sits up and looks around. The night inside this giant structure is nearly pitch black, with only a very faint illumination from the moonlight through the windows. In this almost total darkness, they can see bobbing lights at the edge of the lower district, in the direction of the gate. Torches. And in the torchlight, blurry distant images, shadowy forms of men.  Beethro and Bill both awaken as well, but from their room they can't see anything; all they see through the window is darkness.  Syv, coiled up in the wall nearer to the gate then the others, can more clearly see a small group of men holding torches. What they look like is difficult to say; they're all hard shadows against firelight, but they're moving into the lower district with purpose. They seem to know exactly where they're going.  And you can see, held in the center of their blurry mob, is another figure that isn't moving like them. It looks like it's struggling and thrashing.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 53