Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 75592 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: WIZARDS!: One wizard down.
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2017, 09:06:54 am »

Oh, by the way, I'm changing something in the rules for this game: In the rules you need to kill wizards equal to the next wizard level to level up. But thats balanced around games where you kill one wizard a session or so. Not games where we kill one wizard every couple of weeks or more.  So now, you kill a wizard, you gain a wizard level. Bing bang boom.

By the way, this game has been going on a bit now, you've had time to get a feel of things. Any comments?

I vastly underestimated the impact not being able to both move and attack hindered me.

Unless things come to me I'm basically useless for the entierety of any opening.
You could always drop an armor class and just use shields.

No but see that would make sense and I'm a lunatic. The only solution is to bolt five inches of solid steel to my soft flesh.
Well, I was actually thinking of changing it so that heavy armor and really big weapons CAN be used after moving, but with a penalty. So you can run up and attack but that first attack is done at d4.

Alternatively, you could get a gun or a cannon and literally play a tank. 

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2017, 09:09:16 am »

A cannon would be sweet.

Or I could carry around a shotgun ballista.

MOBILE SIEGE WEAPON MARCUS READIES FOR BATTLE!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #317 on: January 18, 2017, 10:55:40 am »

As we wait on Sy to post, probably about how he hides behind a tree, I'm gonna post this

Because it is very relevant

Also, time to post these rules because they have become semi-relevant now that Beirus has very weak magic powers. These are the

10 rules of magic.

1.Magic cannot Improve stats, even temporarily. Magic can be used to cripple or lower stats (though the ability to restore them should always remain because restoring to normal isn't improving) but it can't be used to boost stats.  It can, however, be used to avoid saves. For instance, say someone wants to lift a heavy object. They could use magic to aid them in various ways (make the object lighter, make themselves stronger, have the magic lift with them, etc) and this would lower the difficulty of the action to the point where a save wouldn't be needed. But it would NOT increase their STR number.

2. Cumulative effects cannot exceed level maximum effects.  This is a little hard to explain but think of it like this: If I had a knife and used a spell "Sharpen" on it, then the knife would get sharper. But what happens if I do that 10 times? Could I make an infinitely sharp knife given enough time and patience? The answer is no, because that shit could break the game in minutes as some smartass player turns a firecracker into a nuclear bomb.  The limitation on the effects of cumulative spells is the casting character's wizard level.   Eg, if a character with wizard level 3 tries to sharpen the knife, he can never get it above the sharpness that a 3 strength spell would confer because a 3 strength spell is the highest he can cast.  So if he said "sharpen" twice and got 1 on both strength rolls, it would have a sharpness equivalent to a single 2 strength spell. If he said it three times and got 1 each time, then it would have a sharpness equivalent to a single 3 strength spell.  If he said it 10 times and got any combination of 1's, 2's, and 3's, then it still only has sharpness equivalent to a 3 strength spell because that's the max he can do.

3. The number of simultaneous summons/mind controlled beings/ magical constructs etc. must be less than or equal to the wizard level of the controlling person.  And each controlled NPC reduces the user's mind points by 1 so long as it is under his control. For example, if a wizard of level 5 and 10 mind points summoned up 4 skeletons, then his mind would effectively be 6 so long as they remained summoned. These mind points instantly return to their user if the summon is disbanded or destroyed. Magically created weapons, armor, and objects count towards this total too, as do "enchantments". So if you summon yourself a sword out of thin air, it takes a mind point to keep it around; and similarly if you make it so that your spear strikes with the power of lightning every time you strike or just make it far sharper than usual, that will take 1 mind to keep active as well.  The mind point “taken” is the one used to create the spell, so if you have 10 mind and summon a skeleton, you drop to 9 mind, because the point is expended to create the spell and then remains gone while the spell is active.

4. No summoned creature can use magic. A summoned elemental might be able to shoot flames or wind or water or something but nothing beyond that.

5. No cloning yourself or others. Or, if you really want to let them, make sure the clone is an NPC and has its own desires. Also, killing it won't count as killing a wizard.

6. No generating currency or valuable items for the purposes of selling. Considering the prevalence of magic in this world, you can be damn sure that any store owner is gonna have methods of checking that those gold coins you're handing them aren't transmuted lead or just conjured up out of nowhere. And they will be very unhappy if they find out you're trying to scam them.

7. Transforming yourself, in whole or in part, is possible, but requires you to expend one mind point each turn while in combat. If not in combat, assume it drains 1 mind point every 5 minutes or so.  These transformations can affect your abilities (fly with wings for example), alter check requirements, and make you deal more damage or have natural armor, but they don't change your stats.

8. Overly vague or expansive spells will always fail. Something like "Win the lottery" or "I become king" cannot succeed regardless of the power the spell has.

9. No resurrecting player characters. Raising the dead is fine but treat them as any other summon; No magic, requires mind points to keep raised. 

10. If you do something that breaks the game, I will drop bricks on your head from outer space until you stop or resemble a pancake. Whichever comes first.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 18, 2017, 11:06:47 am »

Question:What happens if we abuse the bricks from outer space?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 18, 2017, 11:08:12 am »

:(
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 18, 2017, 11:27:29 am »

10. If you do something that breaks the game, I will drop bricks on your head from outer space until you stop or resemble a pancake. Whichever comes first.

Piecewise just gave you orbital bombardment technology, awesome.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #321 on: January 18, 2017, 12:16:09 pm »

Abuse me causing direct damage to you? I'll probably start dropping anvils.

Don't worry derm, this system isn't about restricting you from doing stupid shit, just about stopping you from utterly breaking the game and doing some sort of gray goo scenario with wizard skeletons.

It's about us all doing stupid magic against people also doing stupid magic and exploding into gibs.

Now, if you want something REALLY stupid, I'll run a game of TIME WIZARDS where you can eat the sun.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »

Don't worry derm, this system isn't about restricting you from doing stupid shit, just about stopping you from utterly breaking the game and doing some sort of gray goo scenario with wizard skeletons.

It's about us all doing stupid magic against people also doing stupid magic and exploding into gibs.

Now, if you want something REALLY stupid, I'll run a game of TIME WIZARDS where you can eat the sun.

:D

It really says something that I almost already did that in a RTD about songs. Sadly the author stopped updating the very turn I was going to do it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »

((@Derm Use a ranged weapon.  Then, you basically get no penalty for most cases.  Alternatively, fight melee enemies, rather than the ranged spam that this group preferred.  Also, haha, I was right--I knew the heavy drawback would cause issues for players back when I first saw it!

@GM Brick.  The actual game file contains more information on how exactly the brick works.  I found a way to mitigate it fairly reliably, and PW pointed out that he'd just make things even worse.  But, by all means, abuse the Brick.))

Crawl over to the music box and just watch it for a little while.  Maybe doze off next to it.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2017, 01:21:39 pm »

Abuse me causing direct damage to you? I'll probably start dropping anvils.
*takes a portal affinity*
*makes portal hat*
*shoots anvils at things*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2017, 02:23:07 pm »

LOS MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOOOOO!!!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:34 pm »

"Right. Marcus thinks the mayor will be happy with this. Extra pay! Huzzah!"

"Do we even have a cart?"

"Bah, we have head. They can come find this. Maybe take a sack for proof."

"Alright then. Why do you have the gunmans head?"

"Mayor said he was paying for heads!"

"... just the wizards head though?"

Marcus looks creastfallen. "Not all the heads?"

"No. Take the damn head off, it's disgusting."

Marcus takes a bottle of fire and a bag of spice. Alanna takes the book of recipies and the flint and steel.

Time to head home! Alanna also attempts to learn recipies.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)
Just gotta tank the hits, then Derm.

I'm having fun.  Only worry mechanics-wise is that the enemies may always get last turn, which could lead to things being pretty easy, (especially if we kill a few and then they have to morale-check before getting even one attack off) but we almost got wasted last time, so who knows?

"I think we should keep one fire-jar and a rifle each, and just bring the rest back to town.  Except the teeth, they're creepy."

In the proud tradition of one used to eating roach-bits for six month dungeon exterminations, cook up some of the food they were gathering, and try for a nice meal.

..And hope it isn't people.  Damn teeth.

((Notice you're not taking the head off. Oh and the bottles of fire are flame syrup.))

"Ah yes, but what if we say wizard had two heads! AH! See! I am not as stupid as I look."

"I'm not sure how to respond to that."

"Praise is acceptable."

Marcus grabs a bottle of flame syrup and the little purple satin bag of spices. There are several different kinds of spices in there, all mixed together; little seed pods, powders, and dried leaves. They have a very powerful and pleasant smell that tickles and tingles his nose.  He pushes aside a bloody set of armor and digs out the recipe book. He can't read the cover, no matter how hard he squints at the letters or which direction he holds it in.  But it has pictures of some very tasty looking things on it, so he hands it to Alanna. Next to the book is a small tin box, about 5-6 inches long and 4 wide, very plain, roughly made and unadorned. He opens it and finds a good sized hunk of flint, a steel striker, and some kindling made of unraveled hemp rope, along with several intact bits of rope. He nods approvingly toward this box of fire starting implements and hands it to Alanna. The two of them are about to start walking back to town when Beethro shouts at them.

"Oi, Colossus and Negasonic, get back here."

"Marcus does not understand the reference."

"Whatever, just get back here. I'm making food and you've got the spices and the recipe book. And the firesteel."

"Marcus wishes to return to town and tell them about how he," He glances over at Bill's unconscious body, "With small amounts of help from friends, defeated the wizard!"

"Please. Your daughter killed more bandits than you. And took far less axes to the chest."

"He has a point."

"Not Now Alanna!"

"Food does sound good though."

"...Marcus accepts your proposal to feed him."

Beethro breaks up a few of the empty boxes and tosses the wood onto the charred section of ground that the bandits seem to have been using as a fire pit. It takes a few tries but he manages to get the wood lit using the flint and steel, and wedges the cooking pot in among the burning planks.
[8]
Alanna and Beethro spend a few minutes flipping through the recipe book, looking for something they can make with the ingredients on hand. Perhaps unsurprisingly the book contains very few recipes containing dried meat, corn, flour, weak booze, various vegetables of all manner and oddity, and hard bread. Eventually, they decide to make what amounts to a stew, albeit one made with a broth made using dried meat and alcohol. They hack up any vegetable that looks good and huck it into the pot along with the broth, more dried meat and a bit of the spice. It takes a bit too cook, and Beethro breaks up more boxes to keep the fire going, but after a good hour or so, it smells ready.

Gordon scootches two meters away from Sigh, leaving the music box in the same position, and tries to look natural while subtly observing Sigh.
((@Derm Use a ranged weapon.  Then, you basically get no penalty for most cases.  Alternatively, fight melee enemies, rather than the ranged spam that this group preferred.  Also, haha, I was right--I knew the heavy drawback would cause issues for players back when I first saw it!

@GM Brick.  The actual game file contains more information on how exactly the brick works.  I found a way to mitigate it fairly reliably, and PW pointed out that he'd just make things even worse.  But, by all means, abuse the Brick.))

Crawl over to the music box and just watch it for a little while.  Maybe doze off next to it.

Gordon stands up and calmly walks away from the music box, sitting down against a tree a few meters away. He watches as the skittish man very slowly approaches the music box. The man moves like a frightened cat, jerky and anxious but also very deliberate. He slinks over to the music box and sits down next to it,  propped up on his arms with his head hanging directly over the box. He stares down at the disk as it slowly rotates, seemingly transfixed by the movement. Afer a few minutes he starts to slowly sway with the music, rocking back and forth while still staring at the disk. Then, after another few minutes, he settles down into a curled up fetal position next to the box and closes his eyes.

Gordon watches the guy with a sort of quiet curiosity. He wonders if food to could be used to attract the strange critter, or if music was the only thing he liked. Either way, it was something to consider for later. He closes his eyes and follows the man's lead, drifting off to sleep.  He wakes up some short time later to the smell of meat and the sound of Alanna, Bethro and Marcus talking. Or more accurately, Alanna and Beethro talking and Marcus yelling.

((I meant what do you need me to do to my sheet, if anything.))

Sleep. Unless someone wakes me up.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)

You wake up with an odd metallic taste in your mouth. You're slightly worried before you realize you've had your tongue laying out on the metal ground for who knows how long. You sit up and brush aside the gold foil flowers, getting shakily to your feet. You feel something here, surrounded by all this metal. Something...powerful. The feeling you first got when you held a sword; a feeling of destructive potential. Something about this place is mighty in your hands.

You're distracted from the feeling by the smell of cooking meat and Marcus shouting something about how heroes are remembered in songs, not dirty limericks.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2017, 08:51:48 pm »

"All I'm saying is that 'A wizards staff has a knob on the end' is a classic of the form-"

"Who even taught you that one? I WILL WRING THEIR NECK FOR SPOUTING SUCH FILTH TO YOUR EARS!"

"I can see you trying not to laugh."

"LIES!"

Uh. Rest... up? I don't know whats going on.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2017, 10:20:50 pm »

"That food smells good. Just what I need after all that killing and mental fuckery. I'm gonna go test some stuff over there. You folks should probably stay back for your own safety." Bill pauses for a moment before adding, "Alanna, was it? Good job."

Eat if the food is ready. Then grab 2 bottles of flame syrup, a bedroll, some of those metal acorns, and that metal saw. Then walk a bit away from the others with my summons. Keep my summons at a good distance away from me while I check myself for any abnormalities and try to figure out what I can do, using the environment as a test subject, or the metal acorns or my lead bar.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 18, 2017, 11:13:10 pm »

Continue to sleep, dreaming of safety and metal cocoons.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53