Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth!  (Read 16825 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth!
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 02:49:57 am »

Well hell, I ain't gonna be accused of letting down a fellow Dorfer. Send me a PM with a code and I'll gen a character over at whatever village we're building. I'll probably pack all my current character's crap on a cart and haul it over when I get the location sorted.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 10:20:56 pm »

Well as it stands, both Jimmy and Kazagarth are roaming the hearthlands. I've set them up with some basic starting gear and unleashed them into the wilds. Maybe more players will come and join them and create a nice little community.

This week's scheduled update was postponed. We can expect an exciting new update next wednesday. hopefully whatever the Devs have been working on will be good.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 11:35:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm set up just south of the giant penis-fortress.  ;)

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2016, 01:36:47 am »

I didn't get a chance to play much today. But last night I set up a little encampment in a pretty good area. There is a lot to do to set up a base. All I have is a leanto with two small baskets, my hearthfire and a dream catcher. I was planning to do more today, but got too busy.

Though funny thing is, I lost the first dream thing you gave me. I forgot how to build, I thought you dragged the item to the construction, but then dropped it lol. Turns out, it just has to be in your inventory and you click build it.

I remember the last two times I played, I always did the same thing when first starting out lol. So three times now I've dropped a dream thing for it to disappear to then remember how to actually properly build :P

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2016, 03:52:49 am »

I spent about two hours on this new character, built eight birch baskets and two crates to hold my crap, then cut a few trees and made a table and chair for hunger reduction when eating. I've added +1 to Agility, Constitution, Intelligence and Dexterity so far, but I'm too low level to kill mouflon or aurochs in order to boost Charisma or deer for Perception. I'm hunting down rats and gonna cross my fingers and hope I get lucky with a 33% chance to boost my Psyche instead of Strength, but I'll probably get Strength.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:56:05 am by Jimmy »

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 08:28:43 pm »

i used to play with kilakan and other folks maby 8 months ago? something like that, dunno if my char is still there

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2016, 06:30:23 am »

Well, after a day of scavenging for food, mostly by picking blueberries and raiding ant hills, I've increased my stats to 17 for Strength, Intelligence, Constitution, Perception and Dexterity, 16 for Agility and Charisma, and 12 for Psyche, mostly by getting lucky twice on gorging on roasted rat on a stick. Thanks again for the auroch Ricky! I've finished it off and got six ranks out of it. I'm pretty sure the carrots for Perception will last me awhile, given it's giving me a full rank for every single one I've eaten so far.

I'll check on my drying racks tomorrow and try setting up my first farm. I've got a few curiosities in the bank that'll give me a solid chunk of LP by tomorrow too. So far I've sunk nine ranks into Survival and Exploration, and it's paying off with my scavenging runs. I'm seeing a lot more stuff on my map now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2016, 06:45:19 am »

Ugh, I keep meaning to try and get into this, but first the "play" button on the site wouldn't work, then I downloaded a client and it turns out that wouldn't work either... wait, hang on, some windows just opened. Maybe it finally launched. O.o
No idea why it didn't last time, though, considering it gave me the same error message this time. Oh well, let's see if this works.

Edit: Aw, it looked like it was working. I reset my password and logged in successfully, then it seemed to be loading for a bit... before abruptly crashing.
I might give it another try in a bit.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:49:38 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2016, 06:25:23 pm »

This program runs in Java, so if you use Chrome for your browser it won't work as Chrome doesn't support Java. If you download the stand-alone Amber client you'll still need to install Java separately first.

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2016, 12:16:07 pm »

How important is it to live in a kingdom/realm area? I have a tiny home set up in the middle of nowhere with no bonuses, but when I tried making a new character for testing reasons I saw that some realms give +99 perception, survival, etc... which seems huge. Am I missing out on these huge benefits?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »

How important is it to live in a kingdom/realm area? I have a tiny home set up in the middle of nowhere with no bonuses, but when I tried making a new character for testing reasons I saw that some realms give +99 perception, survival, etc... which seems huge. Am I missing out on these huge benefits?

It sounds like you (most likely) spawned in the Dis realm. it's not important that you live inside a realm, however the bonuses these realms offer are very enticing. you can play however you wish. I personally enjoy living on my own out in the sticks. i have a few hermit neighbors that i can trade with and discuss the game with, but almost every i have i earned by myself, and thats how i want to play. in the end, it's up to you and how you want to play.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 12:11:34 am »

From my previous experience, you've a higher chance of trouble when living close to Dis. I had my base wiped out a few times by trolls before I moved.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 07:59:02 pm »

A big update released today. Among the smaller things added, we now have a Windmill structure to grind flour amongst other things, as well as the much anticipated push out of Floating Point Coordinates, which allows pixel perfect placement of items.

Another wonderful Quality of Life update includes the addition of 'weight' of objects, which now allows lighter objects to be carried at faster speeds. along with this, a higher strength attribute will speed up carrying aswell.

Spoiler: The whole update (click to show/hide)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 12:45:10 am »

Yeah, I think I'm done with this game. It was fun for awhile but grinding the Learning Point system to do the same stuff better next time isn't really my idea of fun.

Pros:
Free to play without any significant cash-grab pay-to-win mechanics
Interesting and challenging skills system that can be gamed if you enjoy number-crunching
Creative and varied crafting system that outputs useful results

Cons:
Pathfinding issues
Almost everything is on timer and requires constant babysitting
Combat is lackluster and typically one-sided
Forum community, with a few notable exceptions, are pretty toxic
Higher end gameplay seems to be dominated by farming bots
Avoiding said toxic experience creates a single-player game that simply isn't much fun

Overall I'd rate it two stars out of five.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 03:05:01 pm »

i used to play with kilakan and other folks maby 8 months ago? something like that, dunno if my char is still there
Hey, your character probably still is.  I don't play anymore.

Thanks for taking over the Topic I guess, I mean the last post there wasn't that long ago.

Bay12 villages would be great if people didn't purposefully sabotage us every time but meh.

I'll follow to see the new updates, and I might join in someone who's set up with my current character (Dragonhelm and sword included whee!)

As for people complaining about path-finding... I mean, yeah it's kinda bad but if you could perfectly pathfind it'd be leagues worse cause you could never escape anyone.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6