Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: ☼Materketang - Paintedskin - River Monsters☼  (Read 10251 times)

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Materketang - Paintedskin - The Refuge of men on the River☼
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 07:18:34 pm »

Thank you very much.
I'm going to write a background in the form of  MGP (Most Glorious Prophet) Nebuchadnezzar's  journal (of whom I actually know nothing about because you posted the legends from before settling)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 07:33:39 pm »

Considering he was poofed out of the ether, I'll leave who he is up to you.

Just remember, our Patron deities are Amsir and The Clam of Drinking.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 04:14:06 am »

The remainder of Summer came to the residents of the small refuge without much care, with the people of the town busying themselves building tables and chairs, sowing seeds, cutting stone, and building a small distillery. The militia was issued its new arms: Copper mail and helms, crocodile scale leather armor, a war axe and hammer, and a shield and buckler. The recipients seemed fairly pleased though they did both bemoan the lack of "decent" weapons.

In fall, as the rain clouds became distant memories of hematite and malachite, the dwarves came, one of their wagons towed by the great pachyderm. Truly, these were dwarves of great might to best their ancient enemy.

Among the useful foodstuffs that formed the bulk of their trade, the citizens purchased original and copies of works of science, and several bars of metal: A lead, billion, steel, and cobalt ingot. Brace was quick to pay for a proper steel helm, while the lead was used to cast a small figurine, which was promptly sold back to the dwarves for a small bundle of glow caps.

Overall, apart from a distant lack of fortifications, times were good, though they were worried by the presence of the dwarves: They had said an uruk caravan master told them of the place, who's to say he hadn't told less friendly nations? But they couldn't dwell on it, as it was far too late now. Refugees arrived in sandstone, 8 in all, and two of them had the skills in war to mark them for novice warriors. Brace took these two men eagerly, thrusting a cobalt spear and copper mace in their hands and copper mail and leather scale upon their bodies.

However, one day in Timber, the Journaeyman had started babbling about... Something. What, none could figure on. Before long, she emerged from a daze, unsure of how she had made such a perfectly built gauntlet from simple copper.

In celebration, a recent arrival by the name of Meph approached Marco, and offered to let him sing in the tavern for patrons, as he paid the prophet what wealth he had for rights to be its tavernkeep, and soon after, the dwarves departed. A week after, came a lone warrior, a maceman, seeking to learn about the place, and perhaps seek work. Soon after him, a dwarf bard, and a duke's wife, travel as a dancer, came, but the latter met a tragic fate: A giant spider monkey attacked her, and in her panick, she tried to flee towards the village, neglecting to watch the depth and flow of the rivers.

She was soon being fished out of the lake with a heavy rod, having drowned. But, as winter came upon them, and they made preparations to bury who they identified as one Ito Culttribute, based upon the few legible words in her waterlogged journal, something terrible was approaching. And humorous.

A small horde of animated toads attacked the place, though who sent them or why was anyone's guess. Mia, as the acting commander, didn't even deem these small rotting things as worth waking the Captain over, and lead the militia forth, with no care given to one of them dismissing himself to take a nap as well. However, the source of the invasion was discovered as Mia lead the other sodliers against the tiny croaking menace: An Elf soldier! An elf lead the beasts!

Mia acted quickly, ordering they prioritize the armed warrior. No scout could be allowed to live.

The fight was quick and brutal for the hated elf, his sword parrying the spear and mace of two warriors, only for his sword arm to be sliced horribly by Mia's axe. A subsquent mace strike sent the elf reeling, his liver bruised by the impact, and arm further damaged with all his weight falling harshly upon it. Mia wasted no time, kicking the elf in the side, exposing his neck to an easy strike, but she missed. Instead, she split his skull with her one hardy swing.

It was a simple matter of killing the small croaking menace after that, which took only a few minutes. Upon their return, they were surprised at the announcement of windows being produced, from fine clear glass, rather than, to quote the Prophet "hazy sickly green glass."

It was also declared that the uncarved andesite in the mines would be put to use, building a solid stone barracks for the soldiery of the town. Most assumed this was due to Brace and her incessant needling on the matter, as she and the other militiamen (who the prophet insisted on calling Knights of the Lake,) bemoaned the lack of a roofed over training ground. By mid-winter, they had gotten their wish, and furnishings were being made to facilitate them.

As the season went on, little of note happened, apart from the Prophet, under the requested tutelage of a craftsman, had become an adept bonecarver. BEfore anyone knew it, the New Year as upon them. The alcohol-induced vomiting that came with it? It was tremendous.

Alright! Short lil update that covered from Malachite to Granite. So we had our first pathetic siege, first elf kill, got a bunkhouse built, finished the smith's house, traded with the dwarves, got some windows, opened a tavern, built a barracks, managed to not die of starvation or anything, have a small glass industry running to make windows, and are easily over the population and trade requirements to start getting attacked.

So here's an example of the non-journal way of storytelling I do. Which do you guys prefer? More nebulous, or journals?

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 10:07:40 am »

This is an extract of the Crimson Book, volume 1

In the beginning was Clam.1 Clam flowed day and night through Gashagh Grimb.2 After countless eras He felt tired and stopped. Amsir was born.3 In His youth Amsir looked around and saw nothing but Ganash Grimb so He decided to create the mensfolk.4 [...]
Being the uncontested rulers of Gashagh Grimb men grew complacent and so Amsir sent them His three children: Sekel, Kadest and Duka.8 Sekel, being the eldest, was given the Knowledge to guide the mensfolk with winsdom.9 Kadest, the secondborn, was given the Fame to be heard throughout all the kingdoms.10 As last came Duka, who was given the Hearth to receive all the souls on Gashagh Grimb and delight them with all kind of games.11 [...]
When the elves became corrupt, Ombo, the Spirit of the Rain and Plants, flew the Forest and was welcomed by Amsir in His benevolent arms.37 [...]

This is the first part of our personal genesys. Coming soon: War with the Elvenkind
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:40:03 am by IlFedaykin »

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 10:11:40 am »

So here's an example of the non-journal way of storytelling I do. Which do you guys prefer? More nebulous, or journals?
It looks great to me, i think it would be best to alternate the two ways in order to give voice to more characters but at the same time keep everything togheter with a collective view.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2016, 05:58:42 pm »

Personally, I have no preference. Both styles are equally entertaining.

It looks great to me, i think it would be best to alternate the two ways in order to give voice to more characters but at the same time keep everything togheter with a collective view.
Aye, sounds like a fine idea.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2016, 08:22:08 pm »

I'd like to play, but a 5x5 embark is really going to chug on my computer.

Also, Masterwork is fun, but its kind of a clusterfuck.  I'm not used to things attacking me when I dig and MW is a bit more challenging than vanilla.  Any tips on how to survive?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2016, 08:37:18 pm »

Not a succession game.

As to tips? Use the GUI launcher to turn off the things you don't want to contend with. Otherwise, check the manual if something stumps you, and just play as normal.

Gonna have an update out tonight.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 12:49:02 am »

3rd Granite, 229

New years came and went, and we're all on edge in the squad. Damn near everyone drank themselves under the table besides us and the Prophet's little posse of himself and his two underlings. I'm starting to feel wary of him. Did we really stop here because we couldn't cross the river? Or was he trying to set up shop here specifically? I also found out something had happened on the first.

A dwarf mercenary came into town and mentioned something about our country's diplomat dying, and Meph said he'd take the job if that were true, since his job is already pretty much doing that when fights break out. I don't think the barkeep actually knows what that job entails...

5th Granite, 229

I told everyone else to keep their eyes peeled. Spring's the war season for those pointy-eared fucks. Evidently, one of my boys didn't like being told that, because he stormed out saying he "make sure them elf problems are fixed good and proper." Stomped off to the smithy after that. Grabbed  bar of metal that had more or less floated up to the top of the copper slag during the smelting process, some andesite, and that river dragon's gizzard stones and se tto work. I'm actually a little curious...

6th Granite, 229

Made a hell of a boot, I think. Wish it had been a helmet though.

15th Granite, 229

Mia of all people got into a barfight with a dwarf. Gave the stout fella a fat lip and a pretty good bruise above the eye, but even their bards are hardy little shits. Sprained Mia's ankles, bruised one of her thighs, and hit her square in the face with a wooden cup, so she's got a black eye too. At least none of it's permanent, it'd be a shame for a pretty face like hers to get disfigured.

22nd Granite, 229

Ran security for a new bridge construction. Giant flies were being a pain in the ass for the livestock and Mr. Holier-than-thou wanted to make sure the "faithful" were protected from them. Who is this idiot kidding, he's got all of four people who genuinely believe him. I've questioned everyone, and most of the people here are fleeing the fighting further north.

28th Granite, 229

Heard Jumping Jack hashing out plans for an andesite road running all over the area, make it easier for wagonloads of supplies and other goodies to come in. Hmmph. Make it easier for elves to march their wolves and jaguars in to chew our throats out is what it sounds like to me.

2nd Slate, 229

Someone said they'd seen a giant spider monkey, and.... Well, let's leave it at I felt stupid when they told me it wasn't a gorilla crossed with a giant spider. Very stupid.

3rd Slate, 229

Evidently there's plans in motion for putting up some people to manage the books and whatnot. Probably gonna be running security for a while.

15th Slate, 229

Not a bad little suite, all things considered. Prophet assigned one of his lackeys to the job of keeping the books, and another to managerial duties. Suspicious, but forgiveable. Better them than useful people.

1st Hematite, 229

War season's over, and nothing much happened apart from the millet harvest coming in. Kinda glad we have those dewbeetles, cause the mead we get from them is actually pretty good.

11th Hematite

-There is naught but difficult-to--say and unknown words both in common speech and written in strange runes, though one can make out the following-

Stone... Rock...
Leather... Skin...
Gem... Shining...
Tree... Life...

17th Hemtite

So. It's been a few days, and uh... I made a thing. And killed a giant lizard thing. While making the thing.

Evidently the beast wandered into the work area and I didn't take to well to that. But, on the upside, The prophet made sure me and one of the others got new weapons. Presented a shiny new steel greatsword and a damned tungsten mace to us in a big ceremony in the tavern. Asked Jack to build a small display standin the barracks for my iron one. Never hurts to set a weapon aside for a back-up, right?

28th Hematite, 229

Evidently it's "time." Some new people showed up while I was out of it, and now the prophet thinks this is as good a time as any to start digging up the "black glass" for a combined keep and temple. We're putting it on the northeast section of the area, right across the river and near the lake. The bridge has already been built, and the dig crew is already working on the glass.

1st Limestone, 229

Nothing of real note happened the rest of summer. few visitors, not much in the way of threatening wildlife or stupid tribals. Got a bridge over the river built, and a whole lotta lumber from the clearing program. I'm a little concerned about a quartet of giant ass bugs flying around, but otherwise, this'll be a good way to keep everyone occupied.

11th Limestone, 229

Managed to get another visit from those dwarves. Good thing that elf left behind so much ill-fitting junk. Why on earth he thought tying zombie toads to all this stuff would work is beyond me, but hey. Who am I to judge a dead leaf-chewer?

15th Limestone, 229

I'm kind of amazed, with nothing better to do but listen to Marco and two dwarves sing (very badly) and play instruments improperly, the temple's coming along decently.

Okay! So we have another little baby update. Ma, I gotta say I'm not really digging this much, because I make it my business to have a fortress populated by murderous professional killers killing things regularly. Ah well. Maybe we just haven't gotten enough crap sold yet like I thought we did... And evidently mooding units can and will drop what they're doing to attack intruders of any sort without berserking and continue on like nothing happened with thier artefact.

But still, progress is progress, and next summer we'll do something related to some of the mod content proper. Possibly try to get a guild of you guys' choosing started.

@ ringringlingling: To clarify to the 5x5 embark, that size was chosen because humans use some very space hungry buildings by the looks of them. Plus the plans I had for the temple/castle means I needed a decent amount of room just in case.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 06:09:54 pm »

The Rise of the Sins

Once upon a time Mensfolk ruled Gashagh Grimb.
They were Kind, Bold and Wise under the guide of Amsir.
No inferior race could dare to defy them.
Wars were waged and victories achieved:
First fell the orcs, two entire civilizations couldn't stand a chance.
Then came the elves who also fell on the brave swords of Mensfolk.
So great were the victories of the Children of Amsir
That none came to challange them for a hundred and twelve years.
But the gods left and Mensfolk slowly fell into Darkness.
Shato Caverndreamed was born.
With Him came Dreamymurk.
From the power of Dreamymurk, Inu Dalesubmerges learned the obscure ways.
With his new powers he could finally let the Sins come to Gashagh Grimb
They were four.
First came Slupi, who brought Disease, Deformity and Blight.
Second came Ikka who Enslaved the Faithful.
Third came Ado whose Lust knew no Boundaries, whose Depravity no end.
Last came Caccast who brought the end of love.
Jealousy spread throughout the Kingdom of Filling and left no place untouched.
Wars were waged between the Children.
Amsir, destroyed by the pain, left.
Sekel, Duka and Kadest fell.
That day came the Elves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 04:10:51 am »

Ohhhh man, that last line is where our great nation went right into the shitpile.

I'm actually fairly interested in what your interpretation of the war will be.  :D

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 09:41:04 am »

The Wars and the Elvenkind, pt.I

My name is Uvno Violetdoctrines and all this started because of my mother Dixil. Well I guess i should say natural mother...
I never actually knew her since i was rescued by Guul when i wasn't even able to walk. Enough talking about me anyway, I'm just a record keeper after all. I tried to put togheter all the pieces of this long story to the best of my capacity but so many things are still shrouded in mystery...

Dixil Garnishedrazor was a fervent worshipper of Amsir. In 122 she wrote the most beautiful poem in order to glorify Him, the title was
Vessels. Years passed and the influence of Shato Caverndreamed became more and more powerful. When i was born, in 136, the hamlet was already a den of spreading evil. The Ticks of Luster, under the benevolent guide of Mother Dugbugd, godness of Youth, sent Guul to save me and with me many others.
When the corrupted Mensfolk, for reasons still unknown, started to poison Gashagh Grimb, called upon themself the fury of the largest civilization of elves that ever walked on Gashag Grimb: The Cobra of Comedy.
The Cobras weren't like their inferior cousins from the north that men got to know in the past. They were proud and fearless warriors. And the had a Sacred Duty to accomplish. Even after centuries of of peace Mensfolk were still unbelievably strong tho...

PS. I would suggest to make a artificial lake in the center of Amsir's temple (2 z-level deep) (and trust me you'll need it soon to satisfy the requests of our MGP)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:47:51 am by IlFedaykin »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 08:11:58 pm »

- Weird invasion. Appropriate leader, however...As elves are immortal, they should be incapable of becoming necromancers usually.

- Truly, teal color is plentiful, in lay pewter, spore tree, ash glaze and clear glass - just locked away slightly.

- Diplomat? How unusual.

- Weird choice on names. Don't really understand the dorfing practice in bay12.

- Pretty face like Mia...Are you doing arranged marriages?

- Management huse seems distant. Is it on the other side of the river?

- Yay hatch?

- Wavy temple.

- Uncut rock crystals can be only obtained through mining, I think. One of the more limited resources in a sense, but white color is common.

- Did Amsir ever curse anybody?

- Who's MGP?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 12:02:19 am »

Invasion: Likely a product of either Wizard's Tower or Whatevermancy, as they have non-immortality based powers.

Colors: I'm not sure I get what you're talking about. I'm shooting more for the prophet wanting to use the best stuff; obsidian's the most valuable non-ore stone to my knowledge, crystal glass is a rare luxury.

Diplomat: That's what I thought. First time it happened, Brace grabbed the post, but I figured it wouldn't make much sense since her business is more in being Slitpipes McGee rather than "hey, let's talk this out."

Names: Some get random names I pull from the ether, since it gets hard working around names and I don't want to use the normal human ones much.

Marriages: Nah, just felt like having it be an implied trait for the one character, kinda like Ymira from Warband.

House: It's on the far side of the south river, due west from the inn.

Temple: Nah, it's gonna be circular. Ish. And will feature at least a  small lake/meditative pond.

Curses: Not to my knowledge.

MPG: Most Glorious Prophet of course!

btw guys, sorry I haven't been on this regularly. With the holidays being what they are, I've been coming home pretty beat mentally (and exhausted physically.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 09:16:05 am »

- Colors:
Clear glass and fair few other things are teal by default.

I consider it more important, while for me the obsidian's 3 value multiplier is not significant at all with the commonality of ores.

- Wonder if missing diplomat affects those settlements adversely.

- Not too off, then :v

- A natural arrangement would be to do a temple around a murky pool, I guess. Also would enable fishing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6