Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: ☼Materketang - Paintedskin - River Monsters☼  (Read 10444 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Materketang - Paintedskin - The Refuge of men on the River☼
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

Hey guys, guess who decided to give me a XX(grown wood)XX christmas present?  :D

An update will come out tonight for sure, though the entries will look very sparse and more than a year will probably go by. But some quick notes.

Vampire IDed for sure
Things have been murdered
Plate Armor forged
Smithing guild expanded greatly
Library construction plan underway.

WhiteLighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2016, 09:37:32 pm »

Hey I might be a bit late to the party but is there any oppourtunity to get άmanised? Enjoying the Human forts, hell, enjoy every one of these story forts, dorf, orc or otherwise so time to get a bit more involved. Big tip o the hat to Meph for the continued - and often underappreciated, I find - work on Masterwork, and to Splint etc for the long hours of good tales.

Dont mind who I end up being.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2016, 10:25:56 pm »

We got plenty to pick from man. In fact, you get to be the new City Watch Commander! You just scored yourself a shiny masterwork warhammer.

EDIT: And agreed about Meph. Shame more people don't have the funds to throw into the mod (myself included - I like to shoot things as a hobby and bullets for my weapon of choice are a tad pricey. Curse you .303 British!) The mod is truly stellar, even if it's not fully done.

I'm very strongly debating on what to do for a secondary fort - I have a copy of the world before I started this one, which could see a dwarf fort in the same world in the far northwest, or I could dredge up the time of ancients and play the old Warlocks, who were fun as hell, though taking care of the nobles and building thematically pleasing structures was a pain in the ass.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2016, 08:27:28 am »

Ah. Well, that sounds promising.

A tertiary community is always going to be a fraction of a fraction. Unfortunate, but true.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2016, 05:03:56 pm »

11th TImber, 230

Neb's super spooked by this attack. Demanded to know everyone's spiritual business and a large segment of the population told him to stuff it. I don't like it either, but he knows we have a sizeable portion of Shatoans in our number (including Cegad, who is slightly dead now,) as well as Tileshians. He's pressing Jack to put a drop chamber in the temple to drown anyone he finds out is a Shatoan and the damned Amsirites are eating it up.

He tries to drown anyone on my watch and I'll personally make sure he goes for a swim down the well.

23rd Timber, 230

I had a little meeting in the temple with Neb. Over the past week that son of a bitch tried to get half my men lynched by an angry on the grounds two are Shatoans and six are Tileshians. So I told him if he ever tries it again, I'll gladly put him in the ground. He responded by paying Jack quite handsomely to have a guard house built near the depot and a dungeon beneath it. If I didn't know better, I'd say he's getting ready to get a city watch set up to throw me in the bin for threatening to murder him.

5th Moonstone, 230

The flow of timber has opened up with the dwarves. Good to have a steady source of income besides the trickle of what we make in Ero's forge.

16th Moonstone, 230

The new guardhouse is almost finished, as is the dungeon. I overheard Neb discussing estanlishing a city watch to investigate the murder properly. My ass, i bet he wants to have someone arrested.

28th Moonstone, 230

The militia's managed to placate Neb for a time by spending most of our time helping finish the Temple. Walls are more or less done, just need some watch posts built on them. Had to have a ton of trees felled to make way for the cernalations

26th Opal, 230

Remind m to never fuck with the Guild Rep's kids. We saw to of them playing out by the guildhouse and they we covered in white goo. I asked them what had happened and the older one said some "ugly bug people" tried to break into the building. We found one floating face down in a pond with its lower body smashed in with a rock and another down the hill to the west with its skull (do they even have skulls?) Smashed in with a heavy oak branch.

These fucking kids go hardcore.

11th Obsidian, 230

Well, I can safely say the suspects have narrowed. An Amsirite is dead, and who exactly has a reason to hate the Amsirites? Who had to work on their fucking temple complex for over a month to get them off their backs? One of my men is a fucking monster.

1st Granite, 231

Investigation's nearly finished. Only ones I haven't gotten to are Ashro and Pestrat. And considering Pestrat's been happily getting hammered in the tavern on a nightly basis, I can rule him out. That leaves Ashro, one of the handful of fucking Amsirites of all people, in the militia. HOw the fuck am I supposed to deal with this?

10th Granite, 231

First kid born here. Personally I hate kids, but still if we're gonna make a resurgent power, we'll need to crap out all the sprog we can.

17th Slate, 231

Been quiet, no deaths in over a month. An Amsirite made an... Honestly not-that-impressive artifact amulet (which got a drink thrown in my face by the guy and some insults from the dwarves,) and Neb's using that as an excuse to preach in the chapel trying to bring more people over to Amsir. Hasnt worked and one guy threw a rock at him.

I told him it might bea  good idea to keep the preaching to the storefront of the tavern. At least people won't chuck things at him there unless there's a barfight going on.

24th Slate, 231

A couple miners showed up this afternoon asking if this was Paintedskins. Told'em it was, and they seemed relieved; evidently the elves ambushed their convoy to the capital and killed half their men as well as trashing their cargo; dumped the raw ore they had into the river, set their wagons alight to "free the spirits of the trees" in them, and hauled away the refined metal.

I've paid Tolmo to have more wood burners built so they'll see the fucking smoke. I won't abide by hypocrisy.

27th Slate, 231

Finally confronted Ashro with Minkot and Pestrat, and got a confession. Evidently she's something called a "Lesser Vampire," created by Shato when she got drunk centuries ago and went knocking over stuff in the temple and did what she termed as "very unseemly things" with priest. Aged remarkably well, it seems, since she doesn't look any older than her fourties. She came here as an act of penance after centuries of trying to live a normal life and getting run off constantly.

She figured if nobody else came for her head, I would, once I figured things out once everything started happening. She's usually able to keep her "red Thirst" under control at the tavern and even needs to sleep, but lately she's been losing her grip here and there and she's worried it means we're due for a battle.

I told her I certainly hope so, because a city guard is going to be established once the lodgings are made, and Neb's determined that the usual clubs or hammers won't suffice. He wants to arm them all with fucking war axes now since she drained that Amsirite.

She said she hopes a serious battle does come, because she's convinced the only way she'll get true absolution is if she dies in battle.

I've since considered sending her underground and to not come back until she's killed something of note.

1st Hematite, 231

Tolmo's been pushing for more timber sales because he says he knows a way to help me and Arcadia, specifically to improve our plate armor: The Guild sells tools that allow making existing armor of higher quality, but the process tends to do some harm to the suit, making it a one-time only deal. I like it.

4th Hematite, 231

They finally came. Me, Ulet, and Birod were closest, and I sent Kulet to get my squad. By the time reinforcements arrived, we each had one elf under our belts, but the enemy brought friends as well. Throughout all this, I'd learned Ulet has mastered the art of hitting people in the head and snapping their necks. Their back-up attacked from the treeline of course, but our guys were almost into the fight at that point as well.

The fight was quick and brutal, with shallow nicks and bruises all around for us (including the fisherman who decided to get stuck in with us,) but no serious harm came to our side beyond that, probably by blind luck, save that fisherman who paid for fighting unarmed with some ribs cracked by a spearhaft.

18th Hematite, 231

Caravan came as normal, which let us foist all the junk gear on them. Evidently the elf attack calmed Neb down considerably over the whole vampire situation. Now he's back to preaching about slaying elves, preferably by drowning them, but oddly enough now he's also requesting donations for a library to be built. I'm sure he could just guilt Jack into doing it since he's an Amsirite, but good to see him adhering to good old fashioned solicitation.

27th Hematite, 231

Tolmo came to me today and asked me to come to his house. At first i thought he was going to try and do something funny, but he came right out and said he hadn't gotten any funds together for his house, and asked if I'd take a gift in recompense and showed me an extension permit, and a suit of armor... I guess I can let it slide, since this actuall serves a purpose: Is also means building the guild a place here is worth it, because if they can build one suit, they can build more.

4th Malachite, 231

One random guy showed up from the south where all the roadwork is going on. Said he'd escaped a slaver convoy, but either way, he's welcome here to replace that Amsirite Ashro drained.

10th Malachite, 231

All the jobless peasants in our ranks (mostly the kids who're old enough to work,) are being put to use sowing new fields with cotton, corn, and potatoes. Considering

3rd Limestone, 231

Ashro slipped up, and this time I can't help her. She killed someone's kid.

Ulet's already appointed the second strongest person he could find among the civilians as an executioner and he's requesting hammers to be manufactured for a city watch since the best undrafted available are all hammerers. But if she survives, I'll be amazed.

16th Limestone, 231

A jumping spider tribal managed to do some damage. That fisherman who helped us fight the elves? Knocked him into the river and he drowned. Yes, a fisherman fucking drowned. I hope to fuck the irony is not lost in him in the hall of the water gods, but at least they both got taken down by an angry mob.

20th Sandstone, 231

Construction on that library is going pretty well, I suppose. Evidently Neb wants to move into the library. Wants to change some values I'd suspect, if I were more... Conspiratorial. Oh, and somoene made a fancy scepter depicting the coronation of one of our Kings a little under a century ago.

11th Timber, 231

The chief of Medicine just got the job of Watch Commander. How you may ask my paper-y friend? He's also the best undrafted hammerer we have. As such, Ulet gave him a masterwork made by Tolmo, a cobalt hitty-stick to represent the rule of law in this city. The irony of our best doctor also being one of our best at beating things to death is not lost on me.

13th Timber, 231

Man, Ulet isn't fucking around. The city watch just got issued tungsten hammers. According to the dwarves, those things are gonne hit like an ore-train made of hate.

12th Moonstone, 231

Kubuk's decided to apply for citizenship, which Ulet granted without a thought. And so, we get stronger as a nation!

13th Moonstone, 231

Alright. That's it. Now she's eating the men. I'm sending her underground. She's coming home with some horrible monstrosity, or dead on her shield.

-=-=-=-=-

She knew she would slip up again, it was only a matter of time. Normally, she took only as much as she needed, but sometimes through no act of gluttoney, she would bite too deeply, her victim (or in this case, doner,) would bleed out shortly afterwards. She had no illusions about why she'd been sent to secure the caverns alone by the Captain: She had been sentenced to exile, or more preferably, to die a good death in battle for what she'd done to Kem.

Better this way, Ashro thought, than Lighter's warhammer or Lonem's great axe.

There was naught but racuause sounds of the local wildlife, cap hoppers leaping about, cave crickets chirping, the rustle of albino squirrels and the odd lobster. However, she soon stumbled upon the remains of a giant wolf spider amid the the dim glow of the cavernlight, it's husk overgrown with moss.

She moved on after determining something had stomped on it, and quickly found the trail of a familiar enemy: The lach.

And so she went, unknowing to the terrible battle about to begin above, whilst she charged toward the first hollow-eyed beast she encountered.

-=-=-=-=-

21st Moonstone,  231

Where do I even begin? Started strangely enough. The dogs started acting strange, attacking eachother and people around town. One was killed by a miner in self defense. But then Marco started... Just screaming. So did Lighter, both of them yalling for "it" to get out of their heads before they started attacking eachother near the river. While all this was going on, the fucking milkfish started flopping onto shore and attacking the livestock.

The visiting dwarves knew the cause right away: A foul beast of the deeps. An Ancient Carp.

I mustered the men once we knew where it was, and told them to kill anything stupid enough to get between us and it. And I meant it. Plenty of undead things in the way. Severed limbs and the like that had floated downriver. Ulet and Pestrat kept going while the rest of us took care of the undead. Pestrate dealt the killing blow, slamming the hammer into its head so hard it got stuck, but not before Marco killed someone and Lighter took out a half dozen dogs.

Arcadia didn't hesitate. She shimmied along the side of the building to get at Marco and cut him to ribbons... I.... I know it had to eb done, but he was still my friend, and to say I was heartbroken by this is an understatement. When Lighter inevitably dragged himself onto the riverbank and snapped one of the woodworker's ankles, she was on him like stink on shit with Utesh.

Utesh ultimately landed the fatal blow, splitting his skull with her pike.

We're gonna need more coffins... And a gag for when Neb goes on his inevitable tirade.

A grand Yuletide to everyone as I bring you a slightly late update!

As you can see, things were very eventful, with numerous casualties to be had, an elf assault, work on our eventual library/Neb's house, a claimed human being killed the same turn they got claimed, Ashro being found as the vampire and eventually exiled to the deeps, And a great deal of time passing.

The guild is also finished, having it's full host of extensions, some of which are seeing use (we upgraded two suits of plate armor and three hammers from exceptional to masterwork.) We've also got three official weapon master in the form of a dwarven hammerlord and two of our own Royal Axeguards.

Just for reference, evidently those pit viper teeth were transformed into weird crabling things. In essence, the Amsirites could feasibly say we did something to really piss off Amsir.

Not a bad bodycount though, eh? Also, any community stuff missed?

WhiteLighter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Materketang - Paintedskin - River Monsters☼
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2016, 06:28:48 pm »

Ahaha that was quick, put down like a mad dog after communing with the ancient fish deity and losing his mind. Excellent.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2016, 06:32:12 pm »

I really hope that you cavern-vampire has not been appointed cult leader. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2016, 07:24:04 pm »

Welp, according to the memorial slabs, that is indeed what Ashro is, but according to DT, she's a "Lesser Vampire," whatever that is.

And I know this because I used it to pick a not-Ashro person to be swinging shit around to kill criminals.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2016, 03:01:43 pm »

• Well, that's quite the story - does MWDF actually model that sort of factionalism?

• "by an angry on the grounds" -> angry mob?

• My prisons always end up as the nicest places, heh. This one is far more deary.

• Interesting vampire situation. Awkward.

• Hm, improving quality versus melting down...Slightly better, I suppose, though armor cares not so much for quality.

• Well, here's hoping for the elves to come again.

• A slaver convoy?

Hm. I recall all the babysnatchers tend to be not-so-hostile to each other. Could be useful for worldgen.

• Does Neb have any skill in philosophy, hm?

• Welp. So much for that squire sub-plot. Was she flimsy for a milita dwarf or something?

• What, why the hell does a modded carp come with husking deadly dust? Carps were typically about sniping dwarves when they were highly dangerous, iirc.

Still, lot of buildings done.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2016, 04:09:28 pm »

Can I have a militia captain, or the human equivalent?  If there aren't any available, I'll take a military dwarf.  name them Wolf, as per usual.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2016, 05:24:24 pm »

@ Frames - Arcadia's fine. And yeah, prolly a typo or two in there.  :P

Factionalism: Nah,I'm just trying to make the story at least marginally interesting.

Armor: Best used to upgrade exceptional armor to masterwork. Same goes for using the Weaponry to do the same.

Prison: It's a prison, not a resort. And its design reflects it.  :)

Slaver convoy: Just story stuff; slavery is also acceptable among humans, so it's entirely possible he was bound for the capital.

As to the carp, I'm guessing those things are equipped to cause mini zombie apocalypses, cause it was worth fuck all in a fight against two pissed off soldiers.

@ 4mask - One professional murderer, got it.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2016, 06:12:22 pm »

Nifty!  Can I see my profile?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2016, 06:30:05 pm »

Nifty!  Can I see my profile?

Ask and receive. You got set up with a swordsman.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]