Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Interdimensional Contract Killers (6/6) (On Hold)  (Read 27129 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Interdimensional Contract Killers (6/6) (On Hold)
« on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:56 pm »

Interdimensional Contract Killers

Some men just want to watch worlds burn.

Not everyone's cut out for the job. Some worlds hold secrets that you really wish you hadn't known. It takes a certain kind of person to take the plunge, diving deep into the unknown, where eldritch horrors could be waiting just on the other side. But you wouldn't really be alive today if it weren't for the Interdimensional Contract Force. They fill their ranks with whomever they fight, offering would-be casualties an opportunity to make a living  elsewhere, framing their deaths and leaving it all behind. The alternative, of course, is summary execution. Nobody's allowed to know about the Interdimensional Contract Force. Especially not the mooks you slaughter by the dozens, none of whom would even survive training. Rules are rules.

What is this?

A mission-based test game meant to test mechanics, and to have some fun along the way.

The Interdimensional Contract Force is an organization based in the Core World that takes contracts from willing buyers to go and assassinate people in the various sub-worlds of a matrix-style Multiverse. These contracts range from taking down tyrants and autocratic regimes, to getting revenge on other Clients whose contractors stymied your current Client's world domination plans. You're not exactly a peacekeeping force, though some clients choose to view themselves as patrons of a higher cause.

New Characters

This is a slightly more long-term game than Interdimensional Death Arena. Your character might still die, of course, but you should probably put some thought into your character so you don't get bored playing for 20-30 turns. Roleplaying is welcome as it lets me test non-combat rolls in the system.

If someone leaves the game while healthy, you'll get a reinforcement from the waitlist.

To join, just fill out the character sheet (please keep formatting such as bold tags, and delete the words in parenthesis when you fill out a section)
Code: (Character Sheet) [Select]
[b]Name: [/b](doesn't affect the game)
[b]Species: [/b](doesn't affect the game)
[b]Homeworld: [/b](doesn't affect the game)

[b]Physical Stats: [/b](Everything starts at 1. Add 4 points as you see fit. See Mechanics section below.)
[font=courier]DEXterity  - [/font]1
[font=courier]CELerity   - [/font]1
[font=courier]STRength   - [/font]1
[font=courier]RESistance - [/font]1

[b]Mental Stats: [/b](Everything starts at 1. Add 4 points as you see fit. See Mechanics section below.)
[font=courier]FOCus      - [/font]1
[font=courier]TACtics    - [/font]1
[font=courier]INTuition  - [/font]1
[font=courier]PERception - [/font]1

[b]Trait: [/b](Something special about your character that affects gameplay. No vague "unnaturally tough" or "regenerates" or "hard to kill" traits please, we had enough of those last time.)

[b]Skills: [/b](Things your character is good at or trained in. Be specific: rather than dodging, you can be good at dodging melee attacks, or avoiding ranged fire, for example.)
(You can either have two normal Lv 1 skills or one Level 2 skill. Everyone is trained in shooting stationary targets at <30m range by default, but you can add another level for the cost of a Lv 1 skill.)

[b]Loadout: [/b]
(List weapons, armor, spells, items, anything you can /choose/ to use. I won't track consumables unless you decide to use a lot of them at once, on unless they are extremely powerful, like anti-tank rockets.)

Playerlist (6/6):
NRDL
WunderKatze
S34N1C
Yottawhat
HighEndNoob
Mallos

Waitlist (3/∞):
Failbird105*
Dickson of the Trinity*
lawastooshort
Yoink

*priority reinforcements for mission 1

Mechanics Section

For normal actions, you roll a pair of d10's. One die (the Action roll) determines the magnitude of the action itself, while the other die (the Mental roll) determines the implementation. So you can succeed, e.g. hack a machine, but fail the implementation, e.g. set off the alarms. If the Action roll fails, then the Mental roll will swap places if that one would succeed. You can reverse the behavior by using the keyword carefully, which preserves the implementation at all costs.

If an Action roll has a net penalty, then the Mental roll starts with that penalty before your mental stat is added.

For d10's:
[9] is a Critical Success
[6][7][8] is a Partial Success
[4][5] is a Mixed Result
[1][2][3] is a Failure
  • is a Critical Failure

For combat actions you get 4 d6's per turn by default, normally twice your Level (everyone is Level 2). You can split these dice into up to four actions like attacking, casting, blocking, moving, or evading. You can also pool multiple dice into one action, and more successes = better effect.

During combat, you can use a combat die to perform a non-combat action. Combat d6's are reserved for actions which are reciprocal--your stat and your target's stat cancel out.

You automatically make a Block roll for each incoming attack, but you can roll more than one if you want to play it safe. Getting hit may add bleed, break bones, maybe sever limbs and do all sorts of nasty things. Bleed alone won't affect you in combat, though. Rather, your injuries are assessed after combat, and you might end up dying afterward.

For d6's:
[6] is a Critical Success
[5] is a Success
[4] is a Partial Success
[3] is a Partial Failure
[2] is a Failure
[1] is a Critical Failure

Spoiler: Stats and Skills (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:19:32 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Interdimensional Contract Killers (0/6)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:29:35 pm »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:46:15 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 10:20:35 pm »

I might have gone overboard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:58:23 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 10:34:12 pm »

@NRDL, I don't want traits to be just a flat bonus. That'd be a skill or based on your stats. (And you're kind of minmaxing the throws.)

@ Wunderkatze, yes you can have interdimensional allies but you have to delegate dice to them for them to act.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:46:18 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:45:42 pm »

Edited mah sheet. Something to help deal with sneaky peoples.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:53:57 pm »

@ Wunderkatze, yes you can have interdimensional allies but you have to delegate dice to them for them to act.

Can I get at least one dice base for them that I can then add to from my pool? Otherwise I might as well bet all dice on my much much stronger self.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 10:59:22 pm »

As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 11:08:42 pm »

Should we decide on the weight and range of our weapons or will you be doing that?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:07:34 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 02:03:03 am »

Edited mah sheet. Something to help deal with sneaky peoples.

Roger that. Looks good. The number of throwing knives depends on how big they are. Regular knife-sized or miniature?

Can I get at least one dice base for them that I can then add to from my pool? Otherwise I might as well bet all dice on my much much stronger self.

I see, so they don't get your stat bonuses. In that case, how about:
-Your TACtics determines the amount of base dice they get. (minimum 1, so consider thy request granted)
-You can use your TAC as the stat for their combat-related actions.
and
-You can use INT for gamey tactics like false retreats and stuff, but not for conventional military tactics.

I think the trait will be less useful than you think. You'll only get one chance during a mission though.

Should we decide on the weight and range of our weapons or will you be doing that?

Most weapons are Weight 1 which means no penalties, but a machine gun or something heavier could be weight 2 in exchange for being much more powerful.
Range depends on whether it has a stock and whether you are using buckshot or slugs. Refer to real-world ranges when applicable. ;)

Buckshot w/ stock would be 30m range, w/o stock would be only 10m range but the gun would be lighter (+1 to close range attacks)
Slugs would extend the range up to 100m or so.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 02:15:31 am »

Did not see Wunderkatze's character before making this, but going with it anyway.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:19:59 am by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interdimensional Contract Killers (~4/6)
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 02:18:52 am »

Did not See Wunderkatze character before making this, but going with it anyway.

This is going to be good.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Interdimensional Contract Killers (~5/6)
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 04:10:53 am »

Small knives please, like ninja kunai. I swear I'm not secretly being paid by this company to advertise.  *shifty eyes*
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 09:12:00 am »

I think the trait will be less useful than you think. You'll only get one chance during a mission though.

yeah, i thought it might be kinda shitty, but i really can't think of anything else that would fit the character. im open to suggestions though
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 12:48:49 pm »

Yep, gonna do the thing.
Spoiler: Yes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:32:13 pm by Failbird105 »

Dickson of the Trinity

• Bay Watcher
  • As you like that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 02:19:53 pm »

Time to fight!

Spoiler: Reyn time, baby! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:56:37 am by Dickson of the Trinity »
Wish I could do a 256d. That would be awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13