Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test.  (Read 5764 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

"It looks like we meet face to face."
Hayden hobbles out of his scooter and picks up his staff.
"Boy you look scrawny. Put on some weight after this, would ya?"
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Brain is down! Light up the bastard who did it!"

PM'D
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

fourtytwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Well, hello there."

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile

PM sent.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

I'm going to call this game over. I actually got what I needed to from this.

Main things I noticed are that the way turn order is set up is unfair. I think in the future teams will alternate going first and second. The team that goes first is required to post actions first and although they go first the second team gets to react. This change would also eliminate the need to PM actions, I feel like PM actions dampers the energy of a game like this and puts extra burden on players who want to make use of combination moves and other fun.

I think the combat ran fine, one thing I've always been aware of ever since I first tested this system is that it is really actually luck based. There are unlimited choices for players and they absolutely determine the way a fight plays out, however; it's not a system that really differentiates between characters stat wise meaning that its kind of self balancing.

The only balance concerns are with high effect weapons (Ripply's rifle, 50. cals etc) but that is natural because although their are no penalties for using these weapons (besides a one action equip time) HEAVY DAMAGE 2.0 is going to make high effect weapons harder to supply with ammo.

Normal vs special combat is OK. I actually like it, although in this game you really didn't get to see it. The one issue is normal vs normal combat, which is kind of a drag and isn't very interesting. With a small amount of choices and a lot of luck wipes.

What did you guys think?

Was it too luck based?

Was the writing style engaging? I've considered using a more dense descriptive writing style, but I don't know what you guys think.

T'was fun thanks for playing!
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test.
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2016, 11:47:20 pm »

Eh, all I did was mow down some blokes and almost die. But I am definitely excited for a full game with some plot.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2016, 01:25:20 am »

I was just about to post this :-(

Imma share it anyways! Take that, society!
Brothers Blur and Bob

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2016, 05:49:09 pm »

I was just about to post this :-(

Imma share it anyways! Take that, society!
Brothers Blur and Bob

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's art!

I don't know if I'll run another round. Not until/unless/if I have substantial mechanical material to test.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:55:21 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]