Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Cory in the House the best anime ever?

Yes!
No!
What?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Everything forbidden, still getting "Item Inaccessible" spam  (Read 6937 times)

tehepicwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Everything forbidden, still getting "Item Inaccessible" spam
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:12 pm »

Recently, I've been getting the usual "Job Cancelled: Store Item in Stockpile: Item Inaccessible" spam. That's nothing new. However, it happened every 10 seconds and the Soundsense effect for job cancellations started pissing me off. I looked for the source of the problem and couldn't find it. I then went into my stocks and began forbidding my items. Eventually, I forbid every item I had in my fortress, but the Item Inaccessible announcement still spammed. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Everything forbidden, still getting "Item Inaccessible" spam
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:23:10 pm »

To start, you can adjust Sound Sense to only play critical messages like combat & moods.  As to finding your missing item, there's no easy way.  The first culprit I can think of is a tree on the surface grew underneath an item.  If you are running DFHack, you can switch to an enhanced view of the stocks list, then page down and look for anything not Forbidden.  Lastly, you can remove all Stockpiles, then re-add them one by one until the spam starts again.  None are really good options, but that's all I can think of :-\

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 09:26:15 pm »

d-b-f the entire map though all the z levels for forbid absolutely everything
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »

You can do that across zeds? :o  Man, just when you think you've learned all the tricks, lol.  Although that still won't help him to find the inaccessible item upon reclaiming everything.

tehepicwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:03:16 pm »

I'm sorry if I didn't say it clearly, but right now, EVERY ITEM in my fortress is forbidden. I even went on DFHack and made it so that only unforbidden items showed, and there were no unforbidden items. However, even while everything is forbidden, I'm still getting spammed with the announcement. What's confusing me is how the "Item Inaccessible" message shows up in the first place while everything is forbidden.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 10:55:54 pm »

You can do that across zeds? :o  Man, just when you think you've learned all the tricks, lol.  Although that still won't help him to find the inaccessible item upon reclaiming everything.

you can do all of the designations across z levels, burrow designations as well

i discovered this when making up/down staircases across multiple z levels and i tried to do it and it worked. its a huge time saver
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:01:11 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 01:13:29 am »

Could be caused by a forbidden/inaccessible wheelbarrow that belongs to a stockpile, I think.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 03:12:20 am »

Sounds like a nasty problem. I'd take up the stockpile suggestion, though. Set each stockpile to take from links only, one at a time until the spamming goes away, then reenable the last one, verify that spamming resumes, disable that one and reenable all the other stockpiles to verify the spamming is generated by a single stockpile, create a new stockpile that is set to take the things the spam generating one took, one category at a time, then one item type at a time. That should allow you to zero in on the item type.
Before creating the diagnostic stockpile I'd check the culprit one for Bumber's suggested possible cause.

Another thing I'd check is that it isn't a stupid hauler who doesn't know what to do with a forbidden item currently hauled.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 05:50:38 am »

Have you opened the caverns yet?

I got alot of inaccessible spam because dead crundle corpses lay in an inaccessible place in the caverns, and they're often such a 3d maze.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 05:58:02 am »

I got alot of inaccessible spam because dead crundle corpses lay in an inaccessible place in the caverns, and they're often such a 3d maze.
While that can cause spam, it's not the OP's issue, since those corpses would have been forbidden as well.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 06:30:56 am »

While that can cause spam, it's not the OP's issue, since those corpses would have been forbidden as well.

Hmm, may i suggest an alternative solution? Unforbid it all, check your jobs screen and see if you can track the item to which the "collect item" job is linked?
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:07 am »

Hmm, may i suggest an alternative solution? Unforbid it all, check your jobs screen and see if you can track the item to which the "collect item" job is linked?
I've tried the approach to check all the hauling jobs to see which ones are removed in the past, but it's hard and tedious, since the job no longer exists when the error message occurs. It can work however, but you need to limit the number of hauling jobs so you only have a small number to try to keep track of. It did help to use DFHack to name the stockpiles, as that allowed me to see which stockpiles were involved, but then it's down to individual items.

Basically, you need to examine each and every job, get the failure message, see which ones went away (using a good memory, notes, or screen shots), repeat to filter out the ones that went away because they were actually completed, try to identify the items whose hauling fails (and with normal luck its something like a granite boulder of which there are thousands in the fortress)

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 10:43:56 am »

I have 2 possibly silly questions.  First, is every item on the map, every corpse and random bit of trash, on the stockpiles screen?  If not, d-b-f mass-forbidding the map would get any stragglers (one of which would be your culprit.)  Second, if that doesn't help, is it possible that you have a dwarf inaccessible (stuck up a tree, etc.,) which would cause any item they task to be inaccessible?
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."

tehepicwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 01:48:07 pm »

I just tried the d-b-f mass-forbid tactic, and it continued. None of my dwarves are stuck. All of my wheelbarrows are in their rightful places. I've made all of my stockpiles take from a butcher shop that isn't butchering anything. The cancel announcement is still spamming.

I tried naming the stockpiles, but how do I put it to use for this situation? How do I track hauling jobs?

Also, I'm still confused about the central issue: Considering that literally everything is forbidden, how does the announcement show up in the first place?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »

Are there traders on your map? I have had that problem with traders: The dorf in question starts trying to borrow the trader-guards socks, or something.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: [1] 2 3