Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test.  (Read 5769 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test.
« on: November 17, 2016, 03:28:48 am »

HEAVY FIGHTING is a mechanics test for my upcoming game HEAVY DAMAGE. I've already tested these mechanics quite a bit (thanks _DivideByZero_ and midnightjaguar) and so far I really like them. This time however, I want to test bigger groups of players.

This game will consist of PvP team death match style matches in random locations and settings. I'll probably balance teams based on relative strength, but you can totally make team requests.

Also I will likely be a player in my own game cuz I wanna. This shouldn't intimidate you considering I have literally managed to lose every round I've played. (RIP in piece Raioyris, he has failed many times in the passionate pursuit of killing player characters.)

Also note that there will be a lot of losing limbs (while not dying) and shit because this system is intended (as I stated) for the game HEAVY DAMAGE which is about extremely gritty and equally bloody combat.

Character(s) creation:

This system makes two main distinctions in types of characters.

There are normals. And there are the specials.

Specials enjoy many mechanical advantages. Normals are normal. They are the average soldier guy that you have been routinely butchering as a player of various games.

Your character can be whatever you want it to be. Feel free to rip off anything or just copy-paste your fav characters from this or that, of course if you're cool, you'll make sure to make use of this opportunity to enjoy your own unbridled creations in my game.

You can also be an army of normals, a group of normals and a special or any other combination, hell you could even be a single normal, though I promise you'll literally die when a player decides to spend a single action to eliminate you.

Note that the expected character is a single special with one or two average special traits. As a special you are a lot faster, stronger, and tougher than a normal so don't bother describing that under the trait section.

Here's the template:

Spoiler: Super cool guy #1 (click to show/hide)

NOTE: Refrain from playing a character comprised entirely of a squad/squads of normals in the first round. I want to demonstrate how to command normals for the first round. The alternative is for me to wall you with text detailing normals. You can still be a special with a group of normals.

Bonuses allotted to specials:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I know how little we all care for long and ostensibly complicated mechanics; however, I feel obligated to show you these and there's a few/many/all of you that would be interested on getting a good grip on the system.

For those who rightfully disdain long(ish) mechanics sections don't read it. This system is designed so that you write your action as a narrative and I translate it into mechanics. In fact, I strongly advise that you write actions as narrative in place of writing turns in terms of mechanical jargon, how you phrase your action will effect the results of an successful attack.

This system does not cover every possibility that will occur during combat, it places a lot of decision making on me especially concerning damage effects. Therefore it is highly encouraged that you creatively embellish your actions. A player who does this will exercise more control over the results of a successful turn than a player who doesn't.

Combat mechanics:

A combat turn is comprised of actions. Actions are any attack made with any equiped weapon, running, picking up or dropping items, reloading etc. If you take only one action in a turn it receives +2 hit +1 effect. Only two actions receive +1 hit. Any more are made without effect. Movement can be negligible (not count as an action) if it isn't very far, this is a common sense judgement that I'll make.

Normals make one action and receive no bonus for doing so. Movement can also be negligible for them in the same way it can be for specials. Normals can actually reload and shoot light weapons in the same turn but at -1 hit.

Attack actions:

Basic attack: can be made in CQ or ranged. Most attacks are basic attacks, they have no particular modifier except ones conferred by weapons. These are useful though because you can add a target clause (ex: aim for the hand, etc) to your attack that will influence the 'effect' results of your attack.

Ranged:

Melee:

Normals cannot make these special melee attacks except for Charges.

Your actions will be written as a narrative; however, if you are afraid I might misinterpret them then you can 'cast' your action. To do this write (<desired attack type>) after your action and I'll make sure I translate your turn correctly.

Strength-Speed: Stronger characters are afforded the utilities associated with strength, this helps with non-combat actions that involve strength (prying open doors, breaking shit, etc). Being faster means you go first. Stronger gives you +1 effect on haymakers and also allows you to carry +5 KG of gear per point under Strength-Speed 5. If two characters are equal in speed then they roll off to see who goes first.

Normals always go last and take simultaneous actions.

Cover and evasive action/dodging:

Cover is generally -1 hit, Really good cover (judged on a common sense basis) is -2.

Special's can declare (or imply through narration) that they are being evasive. This takes an action and confers a -1 to hit (with a %50 chance to become -2 to hit) against the character being evasive. If being evasive is the characters only move then their evasive modifier is upgraded to -2 hit -1 effect on incoming attacks.

Bleed:

You start at 0 bleed at 12 bleed you pass out. This is this games health mechanic. Note that in my tests a player is a lot more likely to be incapacitated through a bunch of effects before they actually bleed out.

Every turn specials (not normals) must take a bleed test. If you roll under your current bleed value you fail and receive +1 bleed. Having more than 7 bleed confers a +1 effect to attacks against you.

Normals die after 2 bleed and are stunned the turn they are bled. An ‘effect’ result on a normal out write kills him. If you have particularly tanky normals make sure to upgrade them so they die say after 3 or 4 bleeds.

You can remove d3 bleed by addressing your wounds. You'll need a bandage which you can either take in inventory or you can tear up clothes or stuff to create.

Hit roll:

Effect Roll Chart:

Effect result chart:

Critical effect chart:

There is no chart for extreme damage but trust me. It will be a spectacle.

Also I will be taking the liberty of changing effects were I see fit. This is to prevent abnormalities like flash bang grenades that rip peoples' arms off.

There are a lot more mechanics. I'm not posting them because I hate extremely long mechanic posts (I guess there's some irony here...). They mainly govern weapons and normals. I prefer to demonstrate them than to throw more text in your face, I'm doing this under the pretext that your turns are written as narrative, meaning you don't need to know every mechanic to play.

Just rely on common sense.

HEAVY DAMAGE is not intended to be PvP and the consequence of testing the system in a PvP setting is that you guys get to see each others moves. To counter this you can PM them to me. Or you can gloriously post them for all to see because you are an unfearing badass.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:29:16 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVY FIGHTING: A team death match mechanics test. 0/4
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 03:28:56 am »

Eyy.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:37:25 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 08:09:27 am »

In
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:56:20 pm »

Now with mechanics!

Note until after the first round I will be handling the mechanics side of characters.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:33:10 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test. 2/5 Join now!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 07:27:50 pm »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:28:22 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test. 3/5 Join now!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:51:46 pm »

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:03:01 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:10:54 pm »

Looks gud.  I keep reading SS as Super Saiyan  :P

Wait till somebody makes THAT character.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:29:55 pm »

Maybe I should find a better term :P

Speaking of characters. It's only fair that I post mine  8)

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:36:18 pm »

Kinda tempted to join this as a normal, ready to die at a stiff breeze.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 11:06:50 pm »

Put your grittiest face on and be ready.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 11:50:26 pm »

Looks gritty! I guess I'll test out the squad mechanics.

(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

fourtytwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test. 4/5 Join now!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2016, 12:24:35 am »

Name(s): Ace
Appearance: A skinny man, dark hair, a sort of restless in his eyes. A huge scar across his face.

Description/backstory: A man with a hunger for danger, and no memory of his past. He also happens to have only his thumb and index finger on his right hand.

Traits:
Addicted to danger: He simply loves the thrill of a near death experience. He has no fear of death.
Reckless: He does the type of things that make most people say "He's insane"

Marksman:He's not quite perfect, but he have above normal shooting skills.
Knife thrower: He can throw knife with enough force to cause major bleeding, provided the target isn't wear heavy armor.
Lucky: Part of why he is still alive.
Sneaky: Can sneak up on people, or sneak away.
Quick: He's just sort of quick. 
Left handed

Inventory: (He is awfully under prepared)
Grappling hook
2x throwing knifes
Extra large combat knife
A single smoke bomb
A custom made rifle, very light and compact. Holds 4 bullets in a internal magazine.
8 bullets.
1 grenade .
T-Shirt
Tough Jacket
Cargo pants
Tough boots.
Ballistic glasses.

Edit: added clothing

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:27:00 am by fourtytwo »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 01:16:28 am »

Yoink submit a normal if you want to play. I didn't count you for the player count because you wanted to be a normal, what I mean is that you can play but as a normal you really wouldn't imbalance teams no matter where you go.

And if you manage to wreck shit through luck or strategy than I'll be impressed.

I'll write up mechanics for fourtytwo and HighEnd and my own character then I'll start the game tomorrow.

I hope you all enjoy.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

fourtytwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test. 5/5 Join now!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 02:11:26 am »

Due to the suicidal nature of my character, I suggest you add one more player, because my character won't last long.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: HEAVY FIGHTING: A lawless team death match mechanics test. 5/5 Join now!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 03:01:55 am »

You'd be surprised. The game is less dependent on gear than you'd imagine.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5