Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Interrupted strange mood  (Read 3162 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! Interrupted strange mood
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:22:09 pm »

A stronecrafter had a strange mood and he began his work after grabbing all materials.
Then some keas attacked the stockpiles. The stonecrafter was attacked and got a broken ear. He got angry and crushed the skull of the kea with his hand. Then he ran into the king's room and just stood there.

I saved the game and tried several method to get him back to his work.

1) I tried to remove the floor beneath him. Didn't work. They would not remove a floor if someone was standing there, it seemed.
2) I deconstructed the workshop by casuing a cave-in. The stonecrafter became mad after his workshop was destroyed.
3) I tried to drop items on his head. Didn't work. He dodged 100% of them.
4) I removed floors around him, and dropped items on his head. He dodged and dropped into the room below, then rushed back to his workshop and began the work.

:D

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Interrupted strange mood
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:42:52 pm »

Fascinating.

I wonder why he ran into the Kings room. Perhaps he wanted to lodge a complaint.

I've had success in just digging away the ground under a dorfs feet before. Perhaps your miners are more polite than mine.

Also, I love that in game keas are so similar to real life keas.  :) 

So, congratulations, you now have a stonecrafted....?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:02:59 pm »

Yeah, a native copper crown.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:12:48 am »

Wow. In former times (when dinosaurs carp ruled the earth waters), an interrupted mood usually resulted in the dorf becoming mad - and the madness depended on what kind of mood he was in (AFAIR). Seems the thought and feelings update changed this?

In one way I like it. However, I found it quite apt that being interrupted during the most important point in life resulted in madness.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 07:37:57 am »

and the madness depended on what kind of mood he was in (AFAIR)
It did not - the insanity type only ever depended on the dwarf's personality (for as long as personalities existed) and was otherwise random.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 08:03:50 am »

It did not - the insanity type only ever depended on the dwarf's personality (for as long as personalities existed) and was otherwise random.
Thanks! But they went mad, right? Or did I just get the crazy ones - sort of a Karma thingy?
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 08:22:52 am »

Failing a mood will always result in insanity as far as I know. It's only the type of insanity that varies with personality, but they'll all go bonkers in one way or another.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:44:41 am »

There still seems to be an element of randomness to it though.  I had a clothesmaker fail his mood, and he just became depressed, ceasing to eat or drink.  Then my game crashed.  I reloaded, redid everything (albeit not exactly the same way), he failed his mood again, but this time he went berserk and started trying to kill everyone.  Same mood, same dwarf, different madness.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 10:39:03 am »

There still seems to be an element of randomness to it though.  I had a clothesmaker fail his mood, and he just became depressed, ceasing to eat or drink.  Then my game crashed.  I reloaded, redid everything (albeit not exactly the same way), he failed his mood again, but this time he went berserk and started trying to kill everyone.  Same mood, same dwarf, different madness.
At a guess the dorf had both the trait that for slipping into depression and the trait for going berserk and DF then tossed a coin. The dorf would have had to be examined to see if that might be the case, though.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 07:20:03 pm »

I had a pregnant dwarf who mooded during my turn in a succession fort; gave birth to a baby boy in the magma forge workshop, and continued to finished the iron shield, then started seeking infant who crawled to the metal bars stockpile.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 08:16:04 am »

Isn't a dwarf being very unhappy or miserable still a factor? I seem to recall those feelings could cause Fell or Macabre moods. Unless you just mean insanity for failure, in which case ignore me.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.