Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Lost in the Dark  (Read 33306 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Omega Legion: Lost in the Dark
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:39:54 am »

Original thread
glory to the Hypno Piecewise!

You all line up next to an odd looking cart. It has trisegmented legs instead of wheels, and they jut out at odd angles from it's rounded body, as if whoever built it didn't know which way was down. the cart contains provisions for the journey - torches, food, cooking supplies. there are several objects for heat sources that do not burn, because, you know, you'll be in cramped caves and such, and they don't want you dying of asphyxiation or anything. You are also given a set of guidestones to help you find The UnderElves and the place where the UnderDwarves went missing.

You prepare to head into one of the tunnels to do that weird teleport thing, but are led instead out onto the plateau and told to throw sand in the air. They don't look like they are joking either, so after a moment, you start throwing sand in the air.Soon, it becomes evident than the sand falling around you is far more than the sand you throw. After a few minutes, you begin to be swept along on a suddenly tilting mass of it, tumbling and nearly being swept under. And then the sand slows and settles, leaving you in the expected darkness with only the sound of your curses and the slow hiss of moving sand evident.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion: Lost in the Dark
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 02:42:22 pm »

"Statement: Well, let us have a look around. This one expects to see dank caves, but life is full of surprises. Or so this one has heard."

Activate my eyelamps first, then my staff light. Note how bright both are and how much area they illuminate.

Then have a look around our current locationa and check the guidestones.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 05:49:32 pm »

((Whoever's coming up with Omega teleport methods at this point obviously have gone insane. And PTW.))
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loki987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 01:32:44 am »

I arrive. I guess.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 04:39:28 am »

I arrive. I guess.
((I think you might be in the wrong thread. Ozarck's post has you in team 2 of the big mission. This is the thread for the small exploration mission. Unless you've changed teams and Ozarck hasn't updates the initial post, of course.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 05:42:11 am »

"Statement: Well, let us have a look around. This one expects to see dank caves, but life is full of surprises. Or so this one has heard."

"I'd hope there's more than caves about. Otherwise there'd be hardly any point knocking about in here."

Are the glowshrooms glowing on their own, or do they only do that if I feed them?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 10:40:18 am »

((PTW))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Loki987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 11:25:47 am »

((o woops))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 04:38:40 pm »

"I'd hope there's more than caves about. Otherwise there'd be hardly any point knocking about in here."
"cautious statement: Perhaps it would be better if there were nothing but caves around, one can only wonder what dangers can lurk in these kinds of dark, underground places.
Cynical statement: Of course, we will run into said dangers at some point or another. This one does not need it's calculations to know that."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 06:23:17 pm »

Activate my eyelamps first, then my staff light. Note how bright both are and how much area they illuminate.

Then have a look around our current locationa and check the guidestones.

Unsurprisingly, you see rather dank caves. You are in a rather large cavern, up on a bit of a platform off along one wall. The platform is separated fro mteh rest of the cavern by a set of stalactites and stalagmites, though it is not blocked to the point you couldn't climb through. There is an opening about fifteen get away, up about three feet from the floor, which is wide enough to fit you guys and extends away from the cavern. The rest of the cavern is arranged in terraces, pouring in from the far side. a crack runs through all the terraces, dividing them into larger and smaller sections. the crack is a couple feet wide and an unknown amount deep.

Your eyes illuminate in a patch in front of you, and the light reflects enough for the platform itself to be visible. The staff is how you can see the rest. It is more like a normal room light. Of course, in the caves, less light goes further, at least for organics, whose eyes tend to adapt to low light fairly well. You, well, you notice that you need your eyelights to see at all, and the staff to see clearly.

Are the glowshrooms glowing on their own, or do they only do that if I feed them?
they'll need fed to glow. Right now, Clunkers' staff is blindingly bright in the darkness of the cavern, casting everything in stark white light and black shadows. Your movements echo in complex ways in here, making you feel as if you are not alone.

Wonder where the others are?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 10:55:06 pm »

Stick with the cart whilst trying to remember whether I'm afraid of the dark or not.
On one hand, I spent a lot of time in baker's basement in near-total darkness, on the other hand that was for the most part a rather unpleasant experience. Also an underground cavern is a mite different from a man-made place full of stoves and flour...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 02:54:28 am »

See if I can't find a piece of cloth in the cart or something to tie around my staff to dim the light a little.

Then head over to the opening and stick my staff through and look what's on the other side. If it looks safe enough, activate the gyroscope on my staff and make it stand up by itself near the opening, climb through and then reach thorugh and pick my staff back up.

"Statement: So far so good. This one will go and see what is on the other side of the opening over there."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 02:13:37 pm »

"Dammit, I needed my eyes!"

Check the crack after my eyes adapt. Can I see to the bottom of it?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 08:51:39 pm »

Stick with the cart whilst trying to remember whether I'm afraid of the dark or not.
On one hand, I spent a lot of time in baker's basement in near-total darkness, on the other hand that was for the most part a rather unpleasant experience. Also an underground cavern is a mite different from a man-made place full of stoves and flour...

You walk to the dark side of the cart, squat down, and sit quietly for a moment. Nothing. You step cautiopusly away, to the dark side of a stalagmite. Still nothing. You peer into the infinite blackness of the abyssal crack, and you feel a bit of a twinge. Yeah, there's something unsettling about total darkness, but overall, it isn't that bad.

See if I can't find a piece of cloth in the cart or something to tie around my staff to dim the light a little.

Then head over to the opening and stick my staff through and look what's on the other side. If it looks safe enough, activate the gyroscope on my staff and make it stand up by itself near the opening, climb through and then reach thorugh and pick my staff back up.

"Statement: So far so good. This one will go and see what is on the other side of the opening over there."
You can twiddle a dial to dim the staff, and you do so, leaving enough light to see, but not so much as to blind your friends or yourself. You place the staff near the opening and look in. it is a gently sloping natural corridor. Looks fine, so you climb up and bring your staff up as well. Didn't I give you guys some kind of map or beacon or something?

"Dammit, I needed my eyes!"

Check the crack after my eyes adapt. Can I see to the bottom of it?
You can see only as far as the light shines, which isn't very. the crack is at least five or six feet deep, from where you stand. It starts along a wall on the other side of the stala-ctites and -gmites, so you are at a bit of an awkward angle to get a good look in.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 07:19:12 am »

Get on over to Clunkers.

"I'd give about twenty percent odds these fucks fell into the crack over yonder, forty-five percent that it goes right down to a slavering idiot god at the core of the Underdark. Any findings on your end?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27