Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: magic and violence options  (Read 1864 times)

kirby2099

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
magic and violence options
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:08:23 pm »

DF has a lot of violence and morbid stuff so I was thinking you could add some of these on/off switches for certain things like the following:
ˇ   The ability to disable blood/barf staining
ˇ   The ability to disable specific body parts(or perhaps just these) eg. disable Lung,liver,intestines(but not heart and brain)
ˇ   werewolves, vampires, and mist zombies(obviously not reanimated ones) in non-magic worlds
ˇ   On/off switch for Deities, angels, forces and spirits being integrated into the world
ˇ   The ability to disable shrine and altars being built
ˇ   Not being able to be cursed in non magic worlds (being turned into a werewolf/vampire doesn't count)
ˇ   Good/evil biomes in non magic worlds instead of Magical land forms(not yet added)
ˇ   The ability to disable the underworld
ˇ   The ability to disable fell moods and possession(perhaps RAW token for disabling/enabling specific strange moods instead of just every single one you know [has_strange_moods])
If you could add these that would be great thanks!
!!SCIENCE!! makes everything better, so next time there is fire remember !!fire!! is even better.

Hello, pest control what's your problem?
I have a cat infestation.
Hello? Pest control? hello?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: magic and violence options
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 09:35:49 pm »

Pretty much all of this is planned for the mythgen release. Worlds will have a certain level of "fantasy" (lowesr fantasy level being no magic/non-humans, highest fantasy level taking the game way beyond conventional fantasy and into the realm of procedurally generated beasts) and "danger" (how much people don't like each other?) To be set in worldgen with sliders.

Mythgen prototype also had a toggle for switching on/off demons and angels. Non-fantasy worlds probably won't have these either, nor an underworld or werewolves.

As for the other stuff you suggest:
Why would a non-magical world have good/evil biomes?

And removing body parts wouldn't work (except in modding weird beasts). These are highly integrated systems. A dwarf with no liver would die the day he was born...because he has no liver.

kirby2099

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re:Re: magic and violence options
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »

The thing is I would like to still have fantasy stuff (non-humans, fantasy beasts, and werewolves) but not have magic.

And for body parts you could have it not read anything related to the body part in the raws so you would not die because the body part is not a "vital organ" or in any creatures.

Non-magical worlds having good/evil biomes because they are interesting and I would still want to be able to have them and not have sorcery and spells.

perhaps some of these things could have more specific switch so you could have various combinations of no spells, good/evil biomes etc (for example good/evil biomes but not spells).

And I thought that the advanced world generation's number of demon types could be set to 0?

technically I think that I could remove organs manualy but It would take weeks going through every single creature to take out the organ.(and deleting the raw for the organ)
!!SCIENCE!! makes everything better, so next time there is fire remember !!fire!! is even better.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:20:18 pm »

Removing body parts works fine. Body parts only serve a function if they exist to begin with. When removed from the beginning the game just assumes they don't need the body part.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:05:33 am »

Do they actually serve a function if they are defined though, or is removing defined organs so deadly only because of the trauma required to remove them. Eg, is removing a liver from a dwarf only dangerous because removing a dwarfs liver requires stabbing them with a sharp piece of metal, or would the dwarf still die even if you just magically removed the organ with dfhack.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 03:34:46 am »

Do they actually serve a function if they are defined though, or is removing defined organs so deadly only because of the trauma required to remove them. Eg, is removing a liver from a dwarf only dangerous because removing a dwarfs liver requires stabbing them with a sharp piece of metal, or would the dwarf still die even if you just magically removed the organ with dfhack.
I think it's trauma-based, there was a meme a while back about how dwarves become fireproof if all their fat is removed.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 11:34:08 am »

It depends on the organ. The lungs, ears, nose, eyes, wings, feet, and brain (maybe a few more, but I think that's most of them) serve a purpose on a creature and that function will be lost if they are removed, but again they don't need to be there to begin with. All the internal organs except guts can't actually be fully removed from a body, but they can be critically damaged which unless they are the brain or both lungs, won't kill a dwarf.

Anyway, this discussion is about game mechanics as they are now, the suggestion was to make the descriptions of violence a bit less graphic I'm guessing, in which case yes it could be done. Though it might have weird effects with modding as mods could add custom organs and such so Toady can't just remove a set list of organs. It would also be a bit annoying the have to add a token to every internal organ that doesn't serve an important gameplay purpose indicating it could be removed. I guess maybe automatically removing every internal organ without a token indicating what it does would work. I'm thinking about it though, and like, it doesn't seem much better without the internal organs. I guess removing the guts body part would probably be good because those do pop out and actually have a tile on the ground behind the dwarf, but like, there's not much difference between "stabs Urist in the lower body with its iron sword, chipping the bone!" and "stabs Urist in the lower body with its iron sword, tearing the pancreas!"
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re:Re: magic and violence options
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 06:38:18 pm »

With a list of requested changes like that, what are you looking to create?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 05:38:07 pm »

DF has a lot of violence and morbid stuff so I was thinking you could add some of these on/off switches for certain things like the following:
ˇ   The ability to disable blood/barf staining
ˇ   The ability to disable specific body parts(or perhaps just these) eg. disable Lung,liver,intestines(but not heart and brain)
ˇ   werewolves, vampires, and mist zombies(obviously not reanimated ones) in non-magic worlds
ˇ   On/off switch for Deities, angels, forces and spirits being integrated into the world
ˇ   The ability to disable shrine and altars being built
ˇ   Not being able to be cursed in non magic worlds (being turned into a werewolf/vampire doesn't count)
ˇ   Good/evil biomes in non magic worlds instead of Magical land forms(not yet added)
ˇ   The ability to disable the underworld
ˇ   The ability to disable fell moods and possession(perhaps RAW token for disabling/enabling specific strange moods instead of just every single one you know [has_strange_moods])
If you could add these that would be great thanks!
Of course, if you're an elven crybaby who doesn't like !!FUN!!, you'll like these options. Otherwise... LOSING IS FUN
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 10:21:51 pm »

@kirby2099
Take a look at the dev plans under "Creation Myths and Magic Systems". Some of the options you are interested in appear there. How does that effect your list?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 02:04:54 am »

I think it's trauma-based, there was a meme a while back about how dwarves become fireproof if all their fat is removed.

And the assorted !!Science!! methods involved in making armies of fireproof dwarves.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

kirby2099

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re:Re:Re: magic and violence options
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »

I've got it. you could have some sort of system for magic/fantasy like:

frequency of magic
    • magic 0-10
    frequency of fantasy elements
    • fantasy 0-10
    • Altar disturbance curse (true/false)
    • gods influencing world events (true/false)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:02:35 pm by kirby2099 »