Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Roll To be Determined: Turn 20 - So close yet so far  (Read 31717 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To be Determined: Turn 16 - Getting out my CoC 6th edition book
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2017, 04:51:39 am »

Karlan points emphatically towards the shorter path.
One wheel short of a wagon

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:40 am »

Yanethi stops when he realises no one else is coming, and turns back.

"Well. Okay. Perhaps you need assistance?"

This last is directed at Arienne.

Go the shorter path.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2017, 08:44:32 am »

Follow the shorter path at the back of the party.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2017, 12:56:15 pm »

Takashi prefers the shorter path less work.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Turn 17 - Luck Both Ways
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2017, 07:00:05 pm »

Turn 17 - Luck Both Ways

Arienne doesn't speak. The glares she awards the others with are cold and mistrustful.

She hobbles in whichever direction the party chooses, supporting herself with the staff.
Karlan points emphatically towards the shorter path.
Yanethi stops when he realises no one else is coming, and turns back.

"Well. Okay. Perhaps you need assistance?"

This last is directed at Arienne.

Go the shorter path.
Follow the shorter path at the back of the party.
Takashi prefers the shorter path less work.

As a group everyone manages to decide on heading through the forest. The trip along the road is quite peaceful if somewhat boring (then again your all fine with that). As you come close enough to tell the trees from the forest the road finally splits. It is quite apperent to all of you which way is the more common path. The way around looks as if this was the only way to go being well maintained and seems to just flow.

Of course being the intrepid adventures that you are this isn't the way you go. Instead you choose the road less traveled. The only reason you can even tell it is a road is grass isn't growing as lush on it. Under the grass as you step onto the path you can tell it was once just as nice if not nicer than the rest of the road as it seems it might have been paved with stone. Though of course it is hard to tell as only remanents of the stones are left as it seems people have over the years scavenged them for other things. You get the feeling that at some point, maybe before the forest even existed this would have been a busy road. Sadly the sands of time have washed its past glory away. With these thoughts in your head the group continues onward.

Just as you enter the forest proper [6] you all easily spot some shadows which aren't. Having been noticed whatever it was quickly retreats to the sides following the edge of were the trees are dense enough to cast one uninterrupted shadow. A bit nervous the group decided to continue. Of course after that first encounter nothing much happens and while the forest is dense the road while unkempt is wide enough to let the sunlight through.

As even the middle of the road starts to become shaded [2] the group finally notices that they seem to be surrounded. [6] Luckily just ahead is a nice clearing with some ruins. The only problem is there seems to be a slight glow coming from the area. Whether man or beast, magic or mundane you know not what this light comes from [1] and worse yet none of you have heard a clearing being mentioned when you asked about the route. Whatever is up ahead is out of place and either no one has seen it before or worse yet, those who have weren't able to report it.

((Shadows that move surround you, an unknown clearing with a mysterious glow ahead, and the night approaching what do you do?))
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile

"... not ready for combat. Flee."

Arienne hobbles towards the clearing, trying to move quickly in spite of her non-functional leg.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Karlan attempts to speed Arienne, perhaps by supporting her with one arm, and fend off any attacks with the other hand. Of course he too goes towards the ruins.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Takashi will quietly look around her... Blinking she didn't feel very worried to be honest and shrugged looking over at the shadows she waved and gently moved to walk after her compatriots if they choose.
"Don't know why you guys are running I mean it's probably guys who just want our money."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Sorry, missed this due to health. Will try to edit in a post later today.

edit:

"Okay, let's go. Let's get to the clearing and see if we can get you fixed up."

Yanethi will also help Arienne get a move on, keeping his spear at the ready on his side. Try to get to the clearing, have a look around, and if possible see if any first aid can be given to Arienne. If not, let's look to see if we can find a defensible position for the night.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:17:02 pm by lawastooshort »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Turn 18 - Well that probably needs looking at
« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2017, 05:18:07 am »

Turn 18 - Well that probably needs looking at

"... not ready for combat. Flee."

Arienne hobbles towards the clearing, trying to move quickly in spite of her non-functional leg.
Karlan attempts to speed Arienne, perhaps by supporting her with one arm, and fend off any attacks with the other hand. Of course he too goes towards the ruins.
Takashi will quietly look around her... Blinking she didn't feel very worried to be honest and shrugged looking over at the shadows she waved and gently moved to walk after her compatriots if they choose.
"Don't know why you guys are running I mean it's probably guys who just want our money."
"Okay, let's go. Let's get to the clearing and see if we can get you fixed up."

Yanethi will also help Arienne get a move on, keeping his spear at the ready on his side. Try to get to the clearing, have a look around, and if possible see if any first aid can be given to Arienne. If not, let's look to see if we can find a defensible position for the night.

Once again the group astoundingly manages to all go in the same direction. [2] Karlan's attempt to help Arienne along doesn't quite succeed [2] luckily the shadows show the same amount of competence by missing. Though they do manage to right away show Takashi's guess of them being just bandits to be wrong as from the shadows what now you can tell is a tail of a quadruped quills or maybe spines are flicked at the group. [4] Takashi's chill attitude about the situation though does let her notice those quills seem to have a sickly green sheen on the tip, a fact which she is able to promptly inform the group of.

[1] While lucky to have been missed by the creatures the quills do manage to force the group to slow down enough to not reach the clearing. The creatures get one more volley off and [4] manage to nick Karlan with some quills. This doesn't slow him down [1] but he can definitely tell somethings is wrong as a burning sensation starts to come from where he was scraped.

As the group reaches the clearing they hear an eerie hiss from the shadows as the creatures back off and once again disappear into the shadows. Now on the edge of the clearing the group [4] can tell the glow seems to be coming from deeper in [4] though they do notice that the clearing seems a bit bigger than they had thought it was and the ruins are a bit more majestic then they thought.

((Karlen has an injury which is contaminated by something, The clearing is just as mysterious, and it seems the creatures of the forest don't want to come along))
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To be Determined: Turn 18 - Well that probably needs looking at
« Reply #220 on: January 20, 2017, 06:47:46 am »

"Shame it's more herbs than seaweeds round here... we need to look at that wound, Karlan, or it's going to get poisonous or infected. Perhaps we should get deeper in, or perhaps higher up, so we can be a bit more secure for the night? We're not in tremendous shape, are we..."

Have a look around inside the clearing for any possible healing herbs - I don't expect Yanethi's actually got anything useful on him, I can't remember. Then if Karlan agrees and no one else is more appropriate, try to clean up his wound, with great caution not to get anything bad looking on me. Then we need to get to a spot for the night.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 20, 2017, 10:44:30 am »

Takashi hides their mouth  When Karlan is hot but they are also clearly more alert now at the very least these weren't bandits and as such they were actually dangerous of course maybe not to her with the secondary head and all?
"So it appears were dealing with some darn poison surprisingly...we should probably take cover though if I had to guess heading inside would be bad it's probably their Damn nest or something you feeling me?"

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 20, 2017, 11:24:25 am »

"Whatever is in the clearing has nothing to do with the creatures outside. They fear it.

We should too...
"

Arienne sits down, massaging her leg, and investigates Karlan's wound.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 20, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »

Karlan yanks the quills out if they're still in his legs, taking care not to squeeze any sacs of venom. While someone sees to his wound, he listens to the forest and the ruins, trying to work out if anything sounds particularly unusual or significant.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Turn 19 - Reveal of how Crafting Works
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2017, 06:05:34 am »

Turn 19 - Reveal of how Crafting Works

"Shame it's more herbs than seaweeds round here... we need to look at that wound, Karlan, or it's going to get poisonous or infected. Perhaps we should get deeper in, or perhaps higher up, so we can be a bit more secure for the night? We're not in tremendous shape, are we..."

Have a look around inside the clearing for any possible healing herbs - I don't expect Yanethi's actually got anything useful on him, I can't remember. Then if Karlan agrees and no one else is more appropriate, try to clean up his wound, with great caution not to get anything bad looking on me. Then we need to get to a spot for the night.
Takashi hides their mouth  When Karlan is hot but they are also clearly more alert now at the very least these weren't bandits and as such they were actually dangerous of course maybe not to her with the secondary head and all?
"So it appears were dealing with some darn poison surprisingly...we should probably take cover though if I had to guess heading inside would be bad it's probably their Damn nest or something you feeling me?"
"Whatever is in the clearing has nothing to do with the creatures outside. They fear it.

We should too...
"

Arienne sits down, massaging her leg, and investigates Karlan's wound.
Karlan yanks the quills out if they're still in his legs, taking care not to squeeze any sacs of venom. While someone sees to his wound, he listens to the forest and the ruins, trying to work out if anything sounds particularly unusual or significant.

Karlan and Arienne both take a closer look at the wounds on Karlan's leg. [6] Luckily it appears that the quills only scratched him though the venom still has made it into the wound. [3] With the numbness that is setting into Karlan's leg they both decide it must have been a paralysis venom. Unluckily for the group this means that there are now 2 people who have temporarily lost the use of one of their legs.

To help with this situation Yanethi observes the venom with his magic. He then checks the area around them for any healing herbs he might recognize [6] and actually manages to find exactly what he needs. The herb he finds is by the base of the few trees that are clearly in the clearing. It is a short broad leafed plant with lobed leaves. Taking only 1 in 3 to preserve the balance of the are he manages to harvest [5] a good 53 leaves of which he only needs a few to take care of Karlan's leg. All he needs to do is combine it with a few common medical herbs he carries with him ((No roll needed for common as his description portrays him as a druid/ranger type of person and would have them on him)). Now he just needs to make the poultice ((See below and inform me how you want to craft it, the crafting will happen before the next turn so everyone knows if it works)).

Though before that he gets to inform the group about one little important thing about the herb he found. It only grows in areas with ambient magic levels at least twice the norm. The glow or maybe this whole ruin are the work of magic so strong that it is affecting even the area around it. The fact that he was able to harvest 53 mature leaves of a moderately rare and expansive herb is troubling. Generally you would have to strip a normal forest to get that many. Whatever is going down here is seriously magical in nature.

((First of all as a reminder your backpacks are special MC brand Schrodinger specials were if you are half likely to have something it could be there until you actually look and a roll or a decision that it doesn't even need a roll happens. So yeah if you want something specific make sure you mention buying it or you will have to roll for it unless you would clearly have it such as a druid type guy having some common healing herbs on him.

Secondly we have the first instance of crafting that is about to happen and thus you all get knowledge of how crafting works. More specifically your options for it as there are 3 of them. They vary in the amount of detail and rolls needed as well as what kind of result you can end up with. Below I will go over what your options are along with some of the benefits and disadvantages they pose (though definitely not all of them)

Option 1: A single roll
Description: One roll will decided if it works and for the most part is a straight pass or fail
Advantages: This method makes both crafting a lot of something simple (like an arrow) or crafting something quickly possible. When making a lot of something the dice roll for this method is simply a modifier on how many you make. In fact if you are trying to make enough of something even a [1] would just mean making a lot fewer than desired rather than failure (though of course keep in mind this is only for simple things, no mass producing clocks or what have you). The other side of this is option of course instead of making a lot of something instead making one of something but quickly. This works similar to making many but instead of the roll determining quantity it determines time to create.
Disadvantages: This option does not allow for you to make anything but average or below goods. Rolled a six while forging a dagger? Its a dagger end of story. No bonuses or extras on it. If you want quality goods this is not what you are looking for. You can think of it as the fast food option. The other down side I will mention is that because you are 'doing everything at once' if you fail all the materials unless it would not make sense are used up. Failed to craft an arrow? The feathers are mangled, arrow head shattered, and wood cracked.

Option 2: Roll per a step
Description: By breaking the crafting process down into parts one failure does not completely derail the crafting process.
Advantages: This and the next options are were you can finally get higher quality goods even without magic. Though in the end the biggest advantage of this middle child is it isn't the other two options. Do you want to make a good dagger withing an average amount of time? Then this is the option for you. No obsessively detailed descriptions of you lovingly banging away at its hard unyielding surface and a single [1] doesn't mean you instantly fail. On that last bit I guess I should mention that because the steps are broken down into parts if you fail one depending on the step you might just need to redo that step. That dagger you made might have turned out well except when wrapping the grip. In that case you might have only wrapped it wrong or at worst broken the leather you were using so just redo that.
Disadvantages: It isn't the first or last option? If this option was a race in an rpg it would be human. No real strong points but no real bad ones either. This is the default option and most people in the world 'use' this option for basically everything and if you don't specifically say anything otherwise this will be your default method of crafting as well. I guess the fact that you can't make the highest level of gear with this option should be mentioned and baring you specifically trying to add it, magical effects won't appear.

Option 3: You get a roll, and you get a roll, and you get a roll, everything gets a roll!
Description: I describe the crafting process to some detail and any point that involves skill or chance gets a roll
Advantages: Because there are so many rolls a number of things happen. First the effect of your skill and tools on the crafting process are magnified. Next is that a couple of bad rolls have a lot less of an effect on the final product. Last for this is that because the rolls are part of one process instead of discrete steps previous success can give bonuses to the following actions. Now the last advantage I will mention is the fact that this option with a great deal of luck and skill can create the most powerful results. There is even the possibility of magical (or any other extra normal power source) results.
Disadvantages: For the most part take the advantages and flip them. Bad conditions or skill will destroy you, one lucky roll does little to nothing, and while bad results don't chain they do break the chain so more rolls can end a good streak. Finally just as you can get good weapons with positive extra-normal results the reverse is true (this is how normal cursed items happen). Also as one final kicker because of how broken down the rolls are while one bad roll might not ruin the item it might introduce a flaw into it which is hidden such having a weak spot in a sword which gives it a chance to just break.

Though as a final note to these crafting options. While I do say things like option 1 only being able make average items and option 2 not allowing for extra magical effects these are lies. In the end if you describe what you are doing in detail and include things like using special woods, infusing it with potions, focusing on specific emotions, or pouring your power into it anything can happen. If you remember the magic staff we got and all the details I put into the materials and such that is a good example of a high class item. Intent and the material are highly important to crafting in this world. Quickly making a sword while focused on getting revenge on the murder of your loved ones with all your heart and mind could end up with a sword that burns with ghostly flames or maybe seems normal until you kill the murderer where upon it absorbs his soul and then starts burning with ghostly flames. Though of course I won't let you just always say stuff about being completely focused on the concept of piercing when crafting arrows, there will be rolls. As a final little tidbit that is somewhat unrelated if you ever read any cultivation light novels then you will understand when I tell you cultivation of the Dao of sword is possible and would be quite a good thing to focus on when forging one.))
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:10:24 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16