Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming sentient creatures and animal people  (Read 1301 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming sentient creatures and animal people
« on: November 23, 2016, 11:07:48 pm »

Is it possible to mod the game to make sentient creatures tamable? I would like to have a fort with pet humans and animal people.

What about making forgotten beasts and demons tamable?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
Re: Taming sentient creatures and animal people
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:11:40 am »

Technically, yes and no. [SLOW_LEARNER] would allow for those creatures tamable and usable by a race. But I have a feeling you don't want to turn all animal men into idiots.

And no, it's impossible to tame FBs and Clowns.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:07:33 am »

You can make castes of a sentient race with [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] then you can buy those castes at embark. They are a bit glitchy but can breed with regular castes too. This includes dwarves. Though I haven't tested this for a fair number of versions.

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:52 am »

What happens if you give dwarves the slow learner tag?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Z49000

• Bay Watcher
  • [HERETIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:53:02 pm »

What happens if you give dwarves the slow learner tag?

I think that would prevent you from recruiting nobles, but further !!SCIENCE!! might be needed.
"Science isn't about why. Science is about WHY NOT?"- Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 01:55:55 pm »

You can give PET and COMMON_DOMESTIC to any intelligent creature with no problem. Upon being bought, however, they join the local entity instead of being actual pets. No idea if "wild" ones can be tamed.

SLOW_LEARNER has two effects:
-It reduces the learning rate of ALL skills by 50%
-It forbids the caste/creature with the token from becoming a noble of any sort.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 03:19:53 pm »

You can make castes of a sentient race with [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] then you can buy those castes at embark. They are a bit glitchy but can breed with regular castes too. This includes dwarves. Though I haven't tested this for a fair number of versions.

So if you make dwarves domestic pets, can you still get nobles? Will the fort work as normal? Can dwarves buy other dwarves from caravans??
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 04:06:26 pm »

What I did was to copy the male and female castes, e.g. as MALE_SLAVE and FEMALE_SLAVE, then they are dwarven castes but you still have completely normal dwarves as well. I could buy extra dwarves at embark when I did that. But when I did that I ended up removing the PET/COMMON_DOMESTIC tags after embark, because they couldn't do slave jobs, so I'm not sure about what happens if you keep those tags on the whole time. Also, you might want to lower the POP_RATIO of the slave castes since they will be born as slaves completely at random. There's no way to restrict caste births - yet.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:09:38 pm by Reelya »

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 07:22:15 pm »

What happens if you give the slave tags to other civs?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 07:31:42 pm »

What happens if you give the slave tags to other civs?
There is no slave token. What reelya did was create two castes called MALE_SLAVE and FEMALE_SLAVE. You can name castes whatever you feel like. They could be named BANANA1 and BANANA2 and it'd still have the same effect.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 10:40:10 am »

I would like to post about some interesting results of modding sentient races to be pets.

My favorite part is that kobolds lay eggs. You can use them like chickens to produce eggs for you and caravans will bring you kobold eggs.

You can't make your intelligent ''pets'' work like normal units, but you can make them nobles or stick them in the military. They will help with simple labor like constructing buildings, cleaning and harvesting plants. You can butcher or geld them. It is possible to assign them bedrooms. They can't be caged or pastured. They seem to count towards your fort's total population count. The caravans bring barrels of the blood, sweat and tears of sentient races.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:51:40 am by satan »
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »

A gelded army sounds like it could be handy. And eunuch governors / officials are pretty historical.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 05:52:15 pm »

From own observation: Intelligent pets bought at embark are already citizens of the group, if not the civ. Those acquired otherwise are semi-citizens, like visitors that apply for residence, and can eventually ask for full citizenship. They should also perform any labours in which they have skill (often natural) in. Unintelligent pets can apparently fish (or at least could) if they have natural skill in fishing.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:40 am »

From my own experience, if you were to embark with semi-intelligent pets, they act as hybrid citizens committing to both behaviors, taking trolls as a prime example which are selectable by [EVIL] civs.

> Trolls occupy spare citizen room & can work at occupations indiscriminately & also be drafted into the army
> There is no way to personally identify who a troll *full title - "Troll (Tame)"* is and they will breed like animals through close contact, this makes keeping track of trolls in the army quite difficult.
> Trolls are treated like livestock, but much of the UI is bugged to not recognise this, for instance you have to hotkey (s) on the preferences screen to have them slaughtered, and the goods are *via bugs* unsuable.

Its actually quite bugged and inconsistent at the moment because its largely unintentional. I have some indepth suggestions how to improve here, but otherwise the only things i can prescribe modwise is to play around the issues.

> keep trolls & semi/full intelligent livestock in burrows as to handle them easier and provide access to food & a tavern to keep them busy.
> Disallow trolls/semi-intelligents from claiming rooms by micromanaging, so that they use dormitories inside the burrows instead.
> Trolls cannot independently fight in a squad (semi intelligent forbids it), they require atleast 1 intelligent squad member before disbanding.

> If you have access to a semi-intelligent (troggs/trolls etc.) bring females & breed them from males on a chain rather than mod them in to be tamable, as its much more natural and less messy.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 04:19:29 am »

Hello everyone, i'm sure youre having fun discussing this, and i have a little tidbit nobody brought up.

If you make a sentient [COMMON_DOMESTIC], but wanna put your new "Slave" species to use, it's simple. Use Dwarf Therapist for it.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.